PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

My goals for 2013 - a recap!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My goals for 2013 - a recap!

Post by Avocadoshake on Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:22 am

So, alongside with my recap for 2012, here, without any further ado, my goals for 2013 and how I plan to reach them.

Improve my running further and be able to run 30 - 40 min with good form
A lot of my goals in 2013 will help me to accomplish this task, but most of the credit will go to rope skipping, which I do best on the track, so I'll integrate it into my track routine and as a warmup, if convenient.
If I'll be able to integrate running into my everyday life as I did in 2012, I'll be running 3 times for about 20 min and 2 times 5 - 12 min on the track, GTG-ing my form.
Consistency and fun will be the key here, it should't be a chore. Longer runs will follow eventually.

Run 800 or more k in 2013
Actually I decided not to make this a hard goal. With the above regimen, I should reach slightly less than 800 k. If I make it over 800 it's a bonus.

Improve on Rope Skipping
That's easy, just simply do it! However, I cannot skip indoors, so I have to carry the jump rope with me, when I train outdoors.

Master the Muscle-Up
This should be doable! As soon as the outdoor bar workouts are not that frosty anymore, I should just GTG it. Strengthening shoulders, biceps, triceps and lats with dips on the bar and another mini goal: weighted pull-ups.

Walk 2,500,000 steps
10,000 steps a day, five days a week for 50 weeks - will I succeed?
That's 6,850 steps each day and should be manageable.

Find dysbalances, weaknesses and improve on them
I found some already and I bet, I find some more.

For now:
Right leg is weaker
Left glute is weaker
Left foot is weaker
Left biceps/ triceps and shoulder are weaker

Solution:
Glute work, foot gymnastic (quite fun and rewarding) unilateral leg and upper body work.

Work on mobility
Always a goal. I do my morning gymnastic and incorporate mobility drills throughout the day, as a warm up and between the sets.

The two above points should lead to the next goal:

Improve leg strength
My modest goals here are 50 kg for the sumo deadlift (36 kg atm.) and 32 kg for the goblet squat (16 kg atm.). Actually I consider the loaded carries quite beneficial. I might incorporate lunges, shrimp squats or more likely Turkish Get ups, which I consider give a great bang for the buck.
Update: Goblet squat 3 x 32 kg on 05-23
TGUs at 14 kg atm.

Kettlebell Swings with 16 kg
When I started in 2012 with the kettle bells and 67 kg bodyweight, 8 kg was heavy. I practiced the swings without weights, went up to 4 kg, 8 kg and am not too uncomfortable with 12 kg.
Still I prefer the 8 kg and 20 swings over the 12 kg and 10 swings, but that'll change and eventually I'll be using a 16 kg.
Update: Today arrived my 16 kg KB and I did 3 x 5 swings - pretty pathetic, I know, but success nonetheless! 20 swings with 16 kg are a staple exercise now, swinging the 20 kg at times.

Practise the transition from the crow handstand to headstand
I already succeed in that. The crow is fun and I definitely like to get better in the transition progress the next year, when I train more outdoors. I rarely do the crow indoors, because when I collapse, wich is very rare, I prefer to do it on woodchips or grass. Mental note: tumbling in general might be a good idea to practice.

All this should lead me to one big goal

76 - 78 kg bodyweight and 5 - 8 % BF
We'll just have to see, how all works out.

Here comes another one, that might just skrew the conditioning goal:

Cross the Alps and cycle to Milano (take the train back)
Phew! I really like to, but how to incorporate heavy cycling into my program, I don't know yet. Seems, I just have to. The distance is about 400 - 500 km and I'd have 3 to 4 days for that. Actually I'd love just to buy a tandem and give my great daughter a lift with it, whenever needed. That should quite work. The crossing of the alps would be done with my road bike, I guess.
I've done that before. In 1995 with 26. How that'll be in 2013 with 44? I guess, I'll just die.
Update: Not this year, already tight on money atm. so, I'd rather spend the planned week hiking with my wife.

Do a cake sling on my 44th birthday
I write that down, to remind myself, how much I like to do this. Maybe I'll indulge in the cake and am off over the alps the next day, speaking about carb loading here.
Update:Was not home for the sling, ate a raspberry cake instead.

Learn Italian
I'm already on it. Crossing the alps will actually give me an opportunity to really use it.

Read 12 books
I just keep on reading and check at the end of the year, if I reached this goal. No sweat.

Write more
Producing more articles for my various weblogs or even start some sort of anecdotal book, spiced with recipes is something, I'd like to accomplish, but optional.
I have the romantic impression of me, sitting on the computer and writing before dawn. BUT with the suckling, I have to try, to get my sleep whenever possible. Usually I'm awake before the rest of the family anyway, preparing breakfast for them. If I really can get up one more hour earlier, I just might get on the bike and log some km (or run).

Last edited by Avocadoshake on Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:55 pm; edited 5 times in total
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Re: My goals for 2013 - a recap!

Post by Avocadoshake on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:47 pm

The date for crossing the alps is set. 6-17 til 6-21 it is. I have 5 days, that's doable.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisTG on Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:30 pm

Sounds awesome, take lots of pictures!

Looks like a well thought out list, I have no doubt 2013 will work out very well for you.

Pun intended :toothy:

ChrisTG
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:31 pm

Avo, good luck with your goals! If you need any tips on the muscle-up, feel free to ask.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:52 pm

Dominik, good for you for having such a comprehensive list. If I may make a suggestion or two:

Begin to deadlift a barbell. If you do, your size and strength will improve faster. Start with 45 kg and try to triple that by December 2013. It should be very doable.

Swing heavier much kettlebells than you are comfortable with, as long as you can maintain good form for at least 5 reps over 5-10 sets with as much rest as needed. If you do, your conditioning and ability to swing heavier kettlebells will improve faster. With an aggressive and responsible enough approach, there is no reason why you should not be able to swing 16 or 24 kg for 50-100 reps within 6 months time. So why limit yourself?

Just my 2 cents my friend. I wish you all the best in your training. :)
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:35 pm

ChrisTG wrote:Sounds awesome, take lots of pictures!

Looks like a well thought out list, I have no doubt 2013 will work out very well for you.

Pun intended :toothy:
Thank you, I'll work out, good pun. :press1:
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:37 pm

Iliander wrote:Avo, good luck with your goals! If you need any tips on the muscle-up, feel free to ask.

Thank you, I may ask for your help eventually. Very much appreciated.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:45 pm

Dave.cyco wrote:Dominik, good for you for having such a comprehensive list. If I may make a suggestion or two:

Begin to deadlift a barbell. If you do, your size and strength will improve faster. Start with 45 kg and try to triple that by December 2013. It should be very doable.

Swing heavier much kettlebells than you are comfortable with, as long as you can maintain good form for at least 5 reps over 5-10 sets with as much rest as needed. If you do, your conditioning and ability to swing heavier kettlebells will improve faster. With an aggressive and responsible enough approach, there is no reason why you should not be able to swing 16 or 24 kg for 50-100 reps within 6 months time. So why limit yourself?

Just my 2 cents my friend. I wish you all the best in your training. :)

As always, I can do nothing but agree. Currently I'm limited to Kettlebells and dumbbells, which i can only load up to 19.5 kg. This is still very heavy. I have to get a bar AND more plates.
Tomorrow I'll do the 12 kg kettlebell and as soon as I have a bit money left, I'll order the 16 kg. 20 kg would be the next step. I like the swings for conditioning very much. I guess for anything above 12 kg, i have to work on my imbalances in advance, but the swings are a good hip booster.

Goals are nothing without a plan. I made some big ones for 2013 and some smaller ones as milestones along the way and to get momentum.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:42 pm

Forgot one mini goal.
From Crow to headstand. List updated.

Oh' and i just ordered the 16 kg bell. How about spicing up the deadlifts with resistance bands? I have two. One is quite strong. It' s called Deuserband.

And iliander: would you consider practicing the muscle up for a particular period more intensely - say one week, or just grind along and finally succeed?

Last edited by Avocadoshake on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:16 pm

Avocadoshake wrote:And iliander: would you consider practicing the muscle up for a particular period more intensely - say one week, or just grind along and finally succeed?
Be sure not to overstress your joints and CNS with the transition part of the MU. It depends on the type of MU you're aiming for, for example when I was new to bar training I always did explosive muscle-ups with kip. I practiced them almost every day and was just fine, however once I discovered I could do a controlled muscle-up on an angular wooden baulk inside our house in a sequential way (one elbow over first) I started overdoing it and really hurt my wrist joints, even what I think was my forearm bone lol. So it's okay to train a couple of days in a row, but be sure to take sufficient rest afterwards. For example something that worked for me is training 3 days in a row with varied intensity and then taking 2 days off.

Not sure if that answered your question...

What type of muscle-up are talking about? And how are you training for it?
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:00 am

Thanks Iliander. That made perfect sense. I try to do both variations.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Black. on Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:08 am

Nice goals!
Hope to accomplish all of them!
Black.
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:23 am

Black. wrote:Nice goals!
Hope to accomplish all of them!
thanks black, so do i
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by GreekPT on Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:28 am

Hey Dom there are 2 races across the Alps, one on road bike the other on mountain bike. My buddy is doing the road version and it's something like 9,000' vertical per day for 8 days. Your version and the timing would be PERFECT training for me for the Deathride, which I'm doing again, version 9.0 in early July 2013. It's just a real shame those Alps are so dang far away from me. ; /

GreekPT
Wanted for Chococide
Wanted for Chococide

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:28 am

GreekPT wrote:Hey Dom there are 2 races across the Alps, one on road bike the other on mountain bike. My buddy is doing the road version and it's something like 9,000' vertical per day for 8 days. Your version and the timing would be PERFECT training for me for the Deathride, which I'm doing again, version 9.0 in early July 2013. It's just a real shame those Alps are so dang far away from me. ; /
More like easy rolling in for you, I assume. Don't know in what cycling shape I am in July. I'm not racing it, more like pretending to do so :bike1: .
When I get over 80 km on the first day I've won. Getting out of switzerland as soon as possible would be great - expense wise. The italians are crazy over cycling, so double win. Aaand I will feel free to stop anytime for munchies :eat2: , eats :eat1: AND desserts :popcorn: :bike3: - empty calories will be burned.

But if you're training around that time here, feel free to drop me a note.

By the end of next week (2013-01-04) I'm in berne and'll try to get hold of some cards for a fast route.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:21 pm

The 16 kg Kettlebell arrived today and I did 15 swings in total already.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:14 am

Updated the list on page one, no cake sling, no crossing the alps - tight on money atm. So I spare that for later, but rather unnoticed I crushed two/ three goals.

KB Swings with 20 kg - planned was 16 kg
Goblet squat 3 x 32 kg
TGUs with 14 kg atm

Still more than six months left, to kill some more goals.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:48 am

Kill them. Kill them dead.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:42 am

We're halfway through the year already, so a little recap, to see if everything goes according to my plan is in order.

• A lot of my goals in 2013 will help me to accomplish this task, but most of the credit will go to rope skipping, which I do best on the track, so I'll integrate it into my track routine and as a warmup, if convenient.
Did lots of skipping in the winter month on track, if possible. Has stalled now, but I will continue, once I go back to the track work. I did however begin to play foot bag.

• If I'll be able to integrate running into my everyday life as I did in 2012, I'll be running 3 times for about 20 min and 2 times 5 - 12 min on the track, GTG-ing my form.
• Consistency and fun will be the key here, it should't be a chore. Longer runs will follow eventually.

I integrated running in the form of running with the stroller for about 2.5 k three times/ week. Atm. I cannot fit in longer or more runs, but am quite happy about it, as it is fun as it is.

• Actually I decided not to make this a hard goal. With the above regimen, I should reach slightly less than 800 k. If I make it over 800 it's a bonus.

I'm probably not going to make it, but no sweat. I do a nice forefoot/ mid foot strike and short barefoot runs - even on a soft trail. So, I'm perfectly cool with that.

Improve on Rope Skipping
• That's easy, just simply do it! However, I cannot skip indoors, so I have to carry the jump rope with me, when I train outdoors.

See above. The current t schedule of things in the spring/ summer months does not involve much work on the track - atm.

Master the Muscle-Up
• This should be doable! As soon as the outdoor bar workouts are not that frosty anymore, I should just GTG it. Strengthening shoulders, biceps, triceps and lats with dips on the bar and another mini goal: weighted pull-ups.
Weighted pull-ups are down with my backpack full of groceries, but are now mostly replaced by hitting PRs on the pull-up reps (24 atm.) and free hanging rows - a new favorite exercise.
That finally should lead eventually to the muscle up (on a bar).

Walk 2,500,000 steps
• 10,000 steps a day, five days a week for 50 weeks - will I succeed?
• That's 6,850 steps each day and should be manageable.
This is doable, almost done in fact. New goal 10.000 steps/ day for this year.

• I found some already and I bet, I find some more.

• For now:
• Right leg is weaker
• Left glute is weaker
• Left foot is weaker
• Left biceps/ triceps and shoulder are weaker
• dentatus, serratus, abs, obliques imbalances
• Solution:
• Glute work, foot gymnastic (quite fun and rewarding) unilateral leg and upper body work. Unilateral presses.
I'm on it and eliminating these suckers!

Work on mobility
• Always a goal. I do my morning gymnastic and incorporate mobility drills throughout the day, as a warm up and between the sets.

Working on, getting better each time.

Practice the transition from the crow handstand to headstand
• I already succeed in that. The crow is fun and I definitely like to get better in the transition progress the next year, when I train more outdoors. I rarely do the crow indoors, because when I collapse, wich is very rare, I prefer to do it on woodchips or grass. Mental note: tumbling in general might be a good idea to practice.
Currently - I'm on it and managed quite a good transition.

Improve leg strength
• My modest goals here are 50 kg for the sumo deadlift (36 kg atm.) and 32 kg for the goblet squat (16 kg atm.). Actually I consider the loaded carries quite beneficial. I might incorporate lunges, shrimp squats or more likely Turkish Get ups, which I consider give a great bang for the buck.

The goal for the goblet is already crushed, Sumo at 48 kg atm. All the lifts are still done with Kettlebells, which makes it slightly harder.
TGU at 16 kg atm

• When I started in 2012 with the kettle bells and 67 kg bodyweight, 8 kg was heavy. I practiced the swings without weights, went up to 4 kg, 8 kg and am not too uncomfortable with 12 kg.
• Still I prefer the 8 kg and 20 swings over the 12 kg and 10 swings, but that'll change and eventually I'll be using a 16 kg.
• Update: Today (2012-12-31) arrived my 16 kg KB and I did 3 x 5 swings - pretty pathetic, I know, but success nonetheless!
• 100 swings with 20 kg already done
• 22 swings with 20 kg in one set

25 swings with 20 kg reached

• All this should lead me to one big goal

• We'll just have to see, how all works out.

76 kg already reached, bf % - not so much yet, I assume. No sweat, I'm pretty happy with that for now.

• Here comes another one, that might just skrew the conditioning goal:

• Phew! I really like to, but how to incorporate heavy cycling into my program, I don't know yet. Seems, I just have to. The distance is about 400 - 500 km and I'd have 3 to 4 days for that. Actually I'd love just to buy a tandem and give my great daughter a lift with it, whenever needed. That should quite work. The crossing of the alps would be done with my road bike, I guess.
• I've done that before. In 1995 with 26. How that'll be in 2013 with 44? I guess, I'll just die.
Cancelled due to monetary issues.

• I write that down, to remind myself, how much I like to do this. Maybe I'll indulge in the cake and am off over the alps the next day, speaking about carb loading here.

Was not at home to do this.

Learn Italian
• I'm already on it. Crossing the alps will actually give me an opportunity to really use it.
Casually learning along, due to not crossing the alps this is a minor goal.

Read 12 books
• I just keep on reading and check at the end of the year, if I reached this goal. No sweat.
1. Batman Dark Victory; Loeb, J. (author); Sale, T. (illustrator)
2. Chew 3; Guilliory R. (illustrator); Layman, J. (author)
3. Bretonische Märchen - tales from Brittany
4. Batman Black Glove - Batman gets disassembled, Morrison, G. (author); illustrators: Daniel,T.; William, J.H.; Benjamin, R.
5. Catwoman Damals in Rom; Loeb, J. (author); Sale, T. (illustrator) - Miniseries on Selina Kyle
6. Rule 34; Stross, C.
7. Batman DK1
8. Batman DK2
9. With a Little Help; Doctorow, C. - great shorts, read with the help of dailylit.com in the e-mail
10. Chew 3; Guilliory R. (illustrator); Layman, J. (author)
11. Batman: Das 100. Jahr: Pope, P.
12. Just a Little Run Around the World; Swale Pope, R.
13. Little Brother; Doctorow, C.
14. Homeland; Doctorow, C.
15. For the Win; Doctorow, C.
16. Pirate Cinema; Doctorow, C.

A pretty nice list already, comic books novels and other stuff.

Write more
• Producing more articles for my various weblogs or even start some sort of anecdotal book, spiced with recipes is something, I'd like to accomplish, but optional.
• I have the romantic impression of me, sitting on the computer and writing before dawn. BUT with the suckling, I have to try, to get my sleep whenever possible. Usually I'm awake before the rest of the family anyway, preparing breakfast for them. If I really can get up one more hour earlier, I just might get on the bike and log some km (or run).
I'm not writing at a novel, but I feed my weblog more with short snippets and I've started a collaborative weblog on food and cooking.

Declutter my (digital) life
• A work in progress.
It still is and will be.

So for the moment I'm quite satisfied how things develop and I have time to target a few of the remaining ones (DL, muscle up, headstand, bf, footbag)
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:54 pm

We're almost done with the year, so here’s the recap.

• A lot of my goals in 2013 will help me to accomplish this task, but most of the credit will go to rope skipping, which I do best on the track, so I'll integrate it into my track routine and as a warmup, if convenient.

Did lots of skipping in the winter month on track, if possible. That has completely stopped atm. - I’m afraid, but I’m doing foot bag for mobility and reflexes indoors.

• If I'll be able to integrate running into my everyday life as I did in 2012, I'll be running 3 times for about 20 min and 2 times 5 - 12 min on the track, GTG-ing my form.
• Consistency and fun will be the key here, it should't be a chore. Longer runs will follow eventually.

I integrated running in the form of running with the stroller for about 2.5 k three times/ week. Atm. I run at least once a week - 4 - 5 k alone, due to the conditions outside. I still enjoy it very much, but it has no longer that priority. However, I plan to run at least once a week in the future.

• Actually I decided not to make this a hard goal. With the above regimen, I should reach slightly less than 800 k. If I make it over 800 it's a bonus.

I'm probably not going to make it, but no sweat. I do a nice forefoot/ mid foot strike and short barefoot runs - even on a soft trail, plus I’m really fast when I run alone. So, I'm perfectly cool with that.
According to Nike, I just did about 400 km - the figure is actually lower than that, because the pedometer screws with the running km, when activated on the iPod.

Improve on Rope Skipping

• That's easy, just simply do it! However, I cannot skip indoors, so I have to carry the jump rope with me, when I train outdoors.

See above. The current tschedule of things in the spring/ summer months does not involve much work on the track - atm.

Master the Muscle-Up

• This should be doable! As soon as the outdoor bar workouts are not that frosty anymore, I should just GTG it. Strengthening shoulders, biceps, triceps and lats with dips on the bar and another mini goal: weighted pull-ups.

Weighted pull-ups are down with my backpack full of groceries, but are now mostly replaced by hitting PRs on the pull-up reps (24) and free hanging rows - a new favorite exercise.
Just realized, that for really mastering the muscle up I should have a better access to a bar (or rings). The pulling I did with weights indoors lately used up a lot of my capacity, so the number of the outdoor pulls are quite low atm.

Walk 2,500,000 steps
10,000 steps a day, five days a week for 50 weeks - will I succeed?
• That's 6,850 steps each day and should be manageable.

This is doable, and I will very likely have walked over 4,000,000 steps this year by the end of the month.

• I found some already and I bet, I find some more.

• For now:
• Right leg is weaker
• Left glute is weaker
• Left foot is weaker
• Left biceps/ triceps and shoulder are weaker
• dentatus, serratus, abs, obliques imbalances
• Solution:
• Glute work, foot gymnastic (quite fun and rewarding) unilateral leg and upper body work. Unilateral presses.

I'm on it and eliminating these suckers! Actually, I’m pretty cool with my success, so I switch back to a more strength building oriented program.

Work on mobility

• Always a goal. I do my morning gymnastic and incorporate mobility drills throughout the day, as a warm up and between the sets.

Working on, getting better each time. I’m very satisfied with that. With a proper warm up, I’m quite flexible now.

Practice the transition from the crow handstand to headstand

• I already succeed in that. The crow is fun and I definitely like to get better in the transition progress the next year, when I train more outdoors. I rarely do the crow indoors, because when I collapse, wich is very rare, I prefer to do it on woodchips or grass. Mental note: tumbling in general might be a good idea to practice.

Currently - I'm on it and managed quite a good transition. Was not the top priority tho. I threw in another hand balance - the firefly - as well.

Improve leg strength

• My modest goals here are 50 kg for the sumo deadlift (36 kg atm.) and 32 kg for the goblet squat (16 kg atm.). Actually I consider the loaded carries quite beneficial. I might incorporate lunges, shrimp squats or more likely Turkish Get ups, which I consider give a great bang for the buck.

The goal for the goblet is already crushed, Sumo at 56 kg atm. All the lifts are still done with Kettlebells, which makes it slightly harder.
TGU at 20 kg atm.
Currently, I’m working with a barbell which is a slightly different technique, future training sessions will show, how things will develop on that front.

• When I started in 2012 with the kettle bells and 67 kg bodyweight, 8 kg was heavy. I practiced the swings without weights, went up to 4 kg, 8 kg and am not too uncomfortable with 12 kg.
• Still I prefer the 8 kg and 20 swings over the 12 kg and 10 swings, but that'll change and eventually I'll be using a 16 kg.
• Update: Today (2012-12-31) arrived my 16 kg KB and I did 3 x 5 swings - pretty pathetic, I know, but success nonetheless!
• 100 swings with 20 kg already done
• 22 swings with 20 kg in one set

42 swings with 20 kg reached, switched to one handed swings with 16 kg, doing swings with both hands again for the moment.

• All this should lead me to one big goal

• We'll just have to see, how all works out.

Scale is at 80 kg, so I went a bit over the top with that, BF is about 15 %. That’s ok, the goal was a bit lofty anyways.

• Here comes another one, that might just skrew the conditioning goal:

• Phew! I really like to, but how to incorporate heavy cycling into my program, I don't know yet. Seems, I just have to. The distance is about 400 - 500 km and I'd have 3 to 4 days for that. Actually I'd love just to buy a tandem and give my great daughter a lift with it, whenever needed. That should quite work. The crossing of the alps would be done with my road bike, I guess.
• I've done that before. In 1995 with 26. How that'll be in 2013 with 44? I guess, I'll just die.

Cancelled due to monetary issues.

• I write that down, to remind myself, how much I like to do this. Maybe I'll indulge in the cake and am off over the alps the next day, speaking about carb loading here.

Was not at home to do this.

Learn Italian

• I'm already on it. Crossing the alps will actually give me an opportunity to really use it.

Casually learning along, due to not crossing the alps this is a minor goal for now.

Read 12 books
• I just keep on reading and check at the end of the year, if I reached this goal. No sweat.
1. Batman Dark Victory; Loeb, J. (author); Sale, T. (illustrator)
2. Chew 3; Guilliory R. (illustrator); Layman, J. (author)
3. Bretonische Märchen - tales from Brittany
4. Batman Black Glove - Batman gets disassembled, Morrison, G. (author); illustrators: Daniel,T.; William, J.H.; Benjamin, R.
5. Catwoman Damals in Rom; Loeb, J. (author); Sale, T. (illustrator) - Miniseries on Selina Kyle
6. Rule 34; Stross, C.
7. Batman DK1
8. Batman DK2
9. With a Little Help; Doctorow, C. - great shorts, read with the help of dailylit.com in the e-mail
10. Chew 5; Guilliory R. (illustrator); Layman, J. (author)
11. Batman: Das 100. Jahr: Pope, P.
12. Just a Little Run Around the World; Swale Pope, R.
13. Little Brother; Doctorow, C.
14. Homeland; Doctorow, C.
15. For the Win; Doctorow, C.
16. Pirate Cinema; Doctorow, C.
17. Lolita; Nabokov, N.
18. Feuchtgebiete; Roche, C.
19. Winterkartoffelknödel; Falk, R.
20. Dampfnudelblues; Falk, R.
21. Schweinskopf Al Dente; Falk, R.
22. Grießnockerlaffäre; Falk, R.
23. Sauerkrautkoma; Falk, R.
24. OS X 10.9 Mavericks: The Ars Technica Review, http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/10/os-x-10-9/; Siracusa, J.
25. Ready Player One; Cline, E.
26. The Windup Girl; Bacigalupi, P.
27. Lawful Interception; Doctorow, C.

A pretty nice list already, comic books novels and other stuff, I might finish one more book. Reading books, I always wanted to read and add books that made me want to read them to the mix, made a huge difference.

Write more

• Producing more articles for my various weblogs or even start some sort of anecdotal book, spiced with recipes is something, I'd like to accomplish, but optional.
• I have the romantic impression of me, sitting on the computer and writing before dawn. BUT with the suckling, I have to try, to get my sleep whenever possible. Usually I'm awake before the rest of the family anyway, preparing breakfast for them. If I really can get up one more hour earlier, I just might get on the bike and log some km (or run).

I'm not writing at a novel, but I feed my weblog more with short snippets and I've started a collaborative weblog on food and cooking.

Declutter my (digital) life

• A work in progress.

It still is and will be. I’m very satisfied how far I came with it during that one year.

So actually, I succeeded on the goals that were on top priority for me and skipped the minor ones.

Walking can make you incredibly sore.

On a side note: I’m very content having seen our little daughter growing from a suckling to a toddler and our older daughter becoming a teenager and taking my part in the raising process.

So I learned from that and will focus on fewer goals in 2014:

Bigger legs:
Grinding through an upper/ lower split the whole year.
3 weeks mass building, 1 week fun/ deload
done twice and then followed by
4 weeks upper/lower circuit
repeat

That should give the lower body the focus, that is needed

Shooting for 85 kg while staying at the current BF level, or lower.

Go outside every day:
Not counting steps, walking and hopefully more cycling with the kid mounted on the bike in 2014. Running casually. Swimming as much as possible.

Read at least 12 books - like always.

Declutter.

Plain vanilla!

Last edited by Avocadoshake on Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:13 pm

Sounds good overall Dominik, particularly the simplification by having fewer goals, and of course bigger legs being at the top on the list!  :mrgreen:

I also like the book reading goal and I might just copy you in this.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:02 am

Thanks - I knew you would like that.

I always wanted to read Lolita, but really struggled during my read - for over a year if I recall correctly.
Other books that were not on the list were read in only two days: Ready Player One for example or Pirate Cinema.

That made a huge difference in the outcome.

I may add two more points to the list:

Going to bed as early as possible
A no brainer.

Renovating my wormfarm(s)
But you could file that under declutter
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:09 pm

It just came to me that the goal "Bigger legs" seems a bit vague, but if I do my upper/ lower split, that should give me some results nonetheless.

I had my quads measured one month ago. So that is a figure to compare. Another figure are the front squats, plus if I manage not to fit in my skinny jeans and am stuck there halfway up the thighs, mission accomplished!

I just keep it very stupid in 2014.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top