PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Powered By Sushi

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Powered By Sushi

Post by ranger_x3 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:43 pm

Because peanut butter is so last summer...

11/30/12

Chinups: 3x30s w/ 90s rest (14, 11, 8 )
Dumbbell Press: 3x45s w/ 90s rest @ 20# R(33, 20, 16) L(31, 20, 15)
Dumbbell Rows: 3x30s w/ 90s rest @ 37.5# R(20, 18, 17) L(20, 18, 15)

Even though I went down by 1 for total chinups, this was a great workout overall. Chins had to go down though, I'm about 4# heavier than when I did them on Monday. It's finally time to bump the weight up for dumbbell press, but not really a surprise on the rows since I don't seem to have any trouble with those. I should probably bump the rows back to 45 second sets first, I need time to think about it first though.

12/1/12

Pistols: 3x15 w/ 90s rest @ 15#
SLDL: 1x45s, 2x30s w/ 90s rest @ 155# (18, 11, 10)

Stopped timing the pistols except for the rest interval. Seems more mentally challenging now that I don't have an exit at 45 seconds, but rather I have to complete the reps or not be able to stand back up.

I thought about bumping the SLDL's to 35 second sets, but I didn't feel like doing the math so I only bumped the first set to 45 seconds. Grip was a slight issue at the end of the first set, but my butt, hams, and lower back were all fatigued so it didn't really matter much anyway.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Re: Powered By Sushi

Post by Dave on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:58 pm

This promises to be a ... slippery ... log!

Some good pressing going on in here, good work overall.

By the way, I think I have inherited your old peanut butter habit. I keep a 2 kg jar of it next to me at work and just munch away. :mrgreen:
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:50 pm

I'm taking this as a sign that your progressing in your career. I figure next year will be powered by caviar :D
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:14 pm

Now Rangers log will be making me hungry for the next year!

Great first workout, Subbed.
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:14 am

Nice consistency in your choice of exercises. :boxer:
Subscribed!
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:11 pm

Thanks guys.

I wouldn't really say work is progressing more than I'm too lazy to make myself lunch before I go in to work, so I go buy it fresh from the grocery store. I have a feeling my recovery would go WAY downhill if I changed my choice of food right now. I consider myself lucky with how fast my PC has been recovering from the intense SLDL sessions, every other exercise seems to just be light soreness for a day after the exercise.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:06 pm

Caviar sounds good. Now what kind of sushi are we talking here...I hope raw to keep enzymes alive!
Subbed!
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:08 pm

Well CV, you do realize that sushi is raw by definition? ;)
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:11 pm

Not always...I have seen it cooked but it is called something else...sashimi?
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:57 pm

I generally get a pack of salmon avocado and a pack of a golden tempura roll. In all honesty I should probably switch the golden tempura to something else, but fried shrimp just tastes so good.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:02 pm

I don't know Ranger... insects of the sea of you ask me. Ocean bugs. :eat2:

inka_warrior wrote:Not always...I have seen it cooked but it is called something else...sashimi?

Maybe so. I am no sushi or sashimi connoiseur that's for sure.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:07 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:08 pm

and Ranger sorry for... :hijack:
it is now yours again...it only took a week
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:34 pm

Hahaha, it was slightly relevant conversation.

I did switch the golden tempura roll out for a mixed spicy pack, but that tasted pretty bland. I really want to get the tuna avocado, but it looks like I don't get as much sushi for the price that way...

A random side note, I finally got a new necklace in today. I haven't worn one in a long time, my two chokers have long been showing their age, the leather one just never really suited me, and the track pendant hasn't been in my possession for almost 3 years. Figured it was about time that I find one that I can wear for more than 2 months.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:36 pm

Yes...I go to Hannaford (I don't know if you have them around you.) Large supermarket in Albany. There are plenty of supermarkets that make their own now, FRESH! often a one man operation that is on during regular hours. It is cheaper than going to a restaurant or a sushi shop.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:38 pm

I have not worn a hemp or leather necklace in over 15 years...but have you ever thought of making your own?
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:16 pm

I had one made of hemp, but it was a low quality one and it only lasted about a month. Still have the shark tooth from it in case I ever decide I have a use for it. Making my own has never really been a plan, the most I'd do is buy a replacement chain for pendant that outlasted the original chain.

12/4/12

Wide Pullups: 3x30s w/ 90s rest (15, 10, 8)
Atlas Pushups: 3x45s w/ 90s rest (33, 19, 15)
Dumbbell Pullovers: 3x45s w/ 90s rest @ 37.5# (19, 19, 19)

Another stellar workout, especially since I'm at 147# right now.

How I feel every time I set a pr or reach the point I need to bump up weight for an exercise.
:zerk: :zerk: :zerk: :zerk: :zerk:

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:04 pm

Make ur own...search on YouTube lots of tutorials...easy to follow!
Good job on pulling
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:43 am

What about the goldfish store, surely it's cheaper?
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:06 pm

12/5/12

Step Ups: 3x45s w/ 90s rest @ 85# R(19, 19, 19) L(19, 19, 19)
Farmers Carry: 85# to failure - 85ish yds

I really think that Farmers Carries are not meant to be done with the time under tension protocol. Next time I'll switch to goblet squats, though regardless of what I do now my legs will be toasted after the step ups. I almost hit the point of where I couldn't do any more reps at that pace today, but not quite. Right now it's the only thing keeping any sense of cardio I have left from running. Maybe I need to add some burpees in my life...

My triceps are still getting absolutely wrecked by those dumbbell pullovers. They must be what start the movement when the dumbbell is behind my head because everything else is a combination of the lats and pecs. Or maybe I've never really stressed that part of the tricep before and now I'm getting my money's worth out of it.

And the worst news of the day, the amount of clothes I have that I can actually wear is starting to dwindle. This time under tension is putting on size like I planned, even better without a ton of added weight, but I should have realized that my shirts and jeans were going to start fitting a little tighter and get a little shorter. Time to go spend a fortune on clothes that actually fit...

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:02 pm

12/6/12

Chinups: 3x30s w/ 90s rest (16, 11, 10 )
Dumbbell Press: 3x45s w/ 90s rest @ 22.5# R(34, 20, 18) L(32, 19, 15)
Dumbbell Rows: 1x10 @ 42.5# per side

Today's workout had a few interruptions due to the clogging of pipes in the apartment building and people knocking on my door. Then a friend called after I finished the presses and I decided that the training stimulus was basically gone from keeping rest short that I didn't do a full workout with the rows. Only disappointing because it was a stellar workout in the making, and presses are going up in weight again.

I also gave into buying Biotest's Brain Candy, the caffiene free edition. Got it in today, and I'm going to start it tomorrow. I'm debating on making a thread in the nutrition section, that way if someone wants to know about it they don't need to search my training log.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:16 pm

ranger_x3 wrote:I decided that the training stimulus was basically gone from keeping rest short that I didn't do a full workout with the rows.

I don't necessarily buy into that unless you are training specifically for hypertrophy.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:17 pm

ranger_x3 wrote:I'm debating on making a thread in the nutrition section

Please do! That section is in dire need of some love! :cry:
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:59 pm

Dave.cyco wrote:
ranger_x3 wrote:I decided that the training stimulus was basically gone from keeping rest short that I didn't do a full workout with the rows.

I don't necessarily buy into that unless you are training specifically for hypertrophy.

Well that is what I'm training for right now. Between lifts I take as much time as I need to catch my breath and change weights on the dumbbells if needed, and that's usually around 3-4 minutes tops. If it's between sides for an exercise it's closer to 2-3 minutes.

I do plan on keeping the time under tension for when I go back to strength training. The 15-20 second window seems pretty good for the lower rep sets with higher weight, but I won't know until I really try it.

What I find odd is that I'm not really putting on weight, yesterday's spike to 150 was mostly from how much I ate and drank during the day, not due to muscle gain. I am getting bigger, most of my size small t-shirts are a bit short now, and some of my jeans are sitting a little higher and getting tighter. I would think that continuing my eating habits from when I ran and lifted to just lifting would have been beneficial to putting weight on quickly, but I guess I'm mistaken.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:07 am

Dave.cyco wrote:
ranger_x3 wrote:I'm debating on making a thread in the nutrition section

Please do! That section is in dire need of some love! :cry:

Definitely will. I've also tested their beta-alanine supplement before, but I didn't notice a difference in performance during cross country so I still have around half the bottle. The only word I heard on it was from Mark Twight at Gym Jones say that beta-alanine was really only noticeable to him in bike races lasting over 45 minutes.

As for Brain Candy, the one major review I've seen of it looks pretty good as long as you use the caffeine free version. The review I looked at is here. If my results are even close to what he got I'll probably continue using the supplement at least until I'm not working two jobs at once.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:20 am

12/7/12

Pistols: 3x15 @15# w/ 90s rest
SLDL: 2x45s, 1x30s w/ 90s rest @ 155# (19, 13, 10)

Pistols went MUCH better this morning that they did in the last workout. The only balance issues I had were in my very first set, and were more than likely from me still waking up a bit.

SLDL's are still improving. The second set has a lower number than expected because I gripped the dumbbell in the wrong place and a plate was digging into my left arm so I had to reset it mid-set. Probably going to stick with this weight for 2-3 weeks after I bump to 45s per set.

Also, I'm not noticing the Brain Candy affecting nearly as much as the review I linked to, but I feel like it helped me focus during pistols. I think it took a few days for him to really notice it. Then again, it's only been in my system for an hour so who knows what other surprises are in store for me today.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:02 pm

12/8/12

Ran 6ish miles

Wasn't a great run, but it wasn't horrible either. I have continued to maintain some semblance of proper running form from lifting, most likely from the step ups, but nothing can replace actually running. Just glad that I can still go out for a run and feel ok.

As for the Brain Candy, I was just on all day yesterday from when I took it at 7am till I went to bed sometime between 1 and 2. If nothing else, I was super focused.

Today I didn't get to take it right when I woke up because of my sleeping arrangements last night, but I still drank it long before I ate any food. I didn't feel as much of an effect from it today and I attribute that to my hungover and sleep deprived state until I took a nap this afternoon.

So far I'd say I'm pleased with the results.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:53 am

ranger_x3 wrote:my hungover and sleep deprived state

Ranger, tisk tisk.

Still you have me interested in Brain Candy now... after reading further about it.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:30 am

Well one one of the managers of the inn comes down to the bar and starts buying everyone drinks I can't really refuse...

And I told a couple friends about it, but they're skeptical because of the super high amounts of B6 and B12. They've forgotten their basic nutrition where B vitamins are water soluble and you just end up with expensive pee. As for the formula of other things in it, I know nothing about if there are levels too high for any of them.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:31 pm

12/9/12

8.5ish miles in the morning

Wide Pullups: 3x30s w/ 90s rest (16, 12, 9)
Atlas Pushups: 3x45s w/ 90s rest @ 10# (26, 16, 10)
Dumbbell Pullovers: 3x45s w/ 90s rest @ 42.5# (18, 18, 18 )

It's a light day so pullups went better than usual. Not sure how I made it through running 2 days in a row considering the two days combined are more than I've run in the last 2 months. Overall I feel pretty dead right now.

Last edited by ranger_x3 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisTG on Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:22 pm

Dave.cyco wrote:
ranger_x3 wrote:my hungover and sleep deprived state

Ranger, tisk tisk.

A hangover is just Party DOMS. 8)

Great to see you running again! Keep it up :mrgreen:

ChrisTG
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:45 pm

I think I'm going to have to steal that line.

I'm not sure the running is going to be kept up in that degree, but as long as I'm in my hometown I'll be running once a week.

12/10/12

Step Ups: 3x45s w/ 90s rest @ 95# R(17, 17, 17) L(17, 17, 17)
Goblet Squats: 3x30s w/ 90s rest @ 20# (20, 21, 22)

Quads were fried after step ups so there was no way I wanted to push the goblets the first time I do them. Step ups are quickly heading towards a weight that I would normally use for farmers carries so I don't feel bad about dropping them out of the mix. They were heavy enough today that I feel a tingle on my forearms.

Taking Brain Candy on a day when there's nothing to focus on at work is a bad idea. If you thought thinking when you're bored is bad, that's what I spent 8 hours doing, considering all I had to do was wait for bug reports to come in since we had a big release yesterday.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:03 pm

Yeah from what I read, if I did ever decide to take it I would only do it on days when I absolutely needed to be at the top of my game.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:26 pm

It does wake me up pretty fast, usually I'm a little groggy till I get to work, but this wakes me up for the drive at the latest.

12/11/12

Chinups: 3x30s w/ 90s rest (16, 11, 8 )
Dumbbell Press: 3x45s w/ 90s rest @ 27.5# R(27, 15, 11) L(25, 13, 10)
Dumbbell Row: 1x10 w/ 47.5#

Forearms must me tired from the past couple days, they were the weak link in the chinups and made me not even attempt a full workout with the rows. Presses went pretty well for the first time at this weight, I think it's about the same as when I first started with the 20# dumbbell, though hopefully progress is a little faster this time around.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:25 am

Man - as a student I would love to try Brain Candy...but 70$ (to Europe) are some **** high shipping costs. Anyone has an idea wre I could get Brain Candy ? (bsides the tnation store).
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:31 pm

12/12/12

Pistols: 3x15 @ 25# w/ 90s rest
SLDL: 2x45s, 1x30s w/ 90s rest @ 155# (20, 15, 9)

I really do need to get some straps. The SLDL's were grip limited starting around rep 11 in the second set. Still, I got more reps in than last time and I didn't have the weights leaning against my arms leaving bruises. I imagine that the next time I do these there won't be a problem with grip till the last set.

Pistols were a bit difficult strength-wise today, but I forced my way through. It's the most weight I've used for pistols so far, but doing 15 reps is nothing close to a 1 rep max pr for them. Maybe when this cycle is over I'll take a de-load week and see what my max is on a few exercises before switching to a strength cycle.

Right now it makes sense that I start a new cycle at the beginning of 2013 because I'll be on vacation from the 27th to the 2nd. I could also use it as a mid-cycle refresh if I'm still improving from week to week, I'm sure my grip would love that.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:40 pm

12/14/12

Wide Pullups: 3x30s w/ 90s rest (16, 11, 7)
Atlas Pushups: 3x45s w/ 90s rest @ 10# (26, 13, 11)
Dumbbell Pullovers: 3x45s w/ 90s rest @ 47.5# (17, 16, 16)

The extra 4# over Sunday's workout was a lot to deal with in the later sets of pullups and pushups. I also think I'm about to find the tipping point where pullovers are going to get extremely hard, though I'm still pretty happy with the weight I'm working with.

Today's workout might also have to do with the fact that yesterday was the company party, and though I didn't drink very much, I didn't rehydrate nearly well enough today.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:24 pm

12/15/12

Step Ups: 3x45s w/ 90s rest @ 105# R(16, 16, 16) L(16, 16, 16)
Goblet Squats: 3x30s w/ 90s rest @ 27.5# (21, 21, 22)

I don't think words can describe how spent I am from that quick little workout. Whee...

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:49 pm

I believe it. Those step ups are with your giant mir vest, right?
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:56 pm

Nope, they're with dumbbells. I can make it through the first set before I start breathing heavy and notice a big increase in my hr. I stuck with dumbbells for them because now I'm almost at the weight I was doing farmer's carries at, though I imagine if I tried them at that weight I'd pass out after a set or two right now.

It's probably the best exercise to keep me looking like a runner too.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:07 pm

12/18/12

Chinups: 3x w/ 90s rest (13, 11, 8 )
Dumbbell Press: 3x45s w/ 90s rest @ 27.5# R(28, 16, 12) L(26, 14, 9)

Meh, it's an off day.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:24 pm

12/19/12

Pistols: 3x15 @ 25# w/ 90s rest
SLDL: 2x45s, 1x30s w/ 90s rest @ 155# (19, 15, 10)

This seems like an off week for me. I can roll with that, been going pretty hard the last 4ish so it's about time for me to feel a bit crappy from all this high intensity stuff.

Next week until I leave for vacation will be the last of these long sets. Taking a few weeks of recovery to do some light stuff before I switch to strength mode for a while. I'll probably tweak 5/3/1 to suit the equipment I have and do 3-4 cycles of it.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:28 am

Hey Ranger, ithought about you when I read this - take it for what it's worth
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:05 pm

When I read articles like that I feel the need to go slam my head against the wall a few times to get the useless information out of my head.

I will give them that running a marathon is generally not good for your health, saying that running over 15 miles a week isn't really beneficial is total crap. This entire article is meant to make people feel better about mediocrity, that they're actually healthier than people who train seriously, and that doing the bare minimum that they recommend is all you need to be at your healthiest. Its research like this that makes people feel like its ok that they sit at the office all day, then go home and sit around.

I can count on one hand how many people at work I know that go to the gym, and I know at least 30 people there. And of those people that go to the gym, not one of them looks like they're in shape (though we do have our token tall skinny blonde, but I've never talked to her about whether she even works out or not). Yes, I'm a minority being that I was a competitive runner for 10 years, but that is not an excuse for almost everyone I work with to have a gut or the start of one.

I just found out last week why people make jokes about programmers loving bacon, and it's because most programmers are overweight and are disgusting like pigs. Seriously? That should be a wake up call that they need to get up and move. Even now with my brief time off from lifting I try and park relatively far away from the store. If I'm in the same plaza as multiple stores I'll park once and walk between the stores unless it's going to be a mile to get to and from one store because I know I need to stay somewhat active.

/end rant

Part of this is stemming from having reread "Twitching with Twight" yesterday, but a lot does have to do with me seeing more and more about being ok with mediocrity. Being mediocre takes you nowhere in life. Absolutely nowhere. Striving to make oneself better in all aspects of life is what people need to aim for, not this crap that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy for sitting on your couch except for that precious hour you take out of your week to "push" yourself.

/end rant again

Edit: I think this might be the longest post I've ever written that didn't include training for the day.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:52 am

Ranger, while extreme cardio is not my cup o' tea and I would never voluntarily recommend it to someone, your rant and points are certainly valid.

itlives wrote:Hey Ranger...

Now imagine what would have happened if you had sent this to Greek instead!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:29 am

Dave.cyco wrote:
itlives wrote:Hey Ranger...

Now imagine what would have happened if you had sent this to Greek instead!

It would have looked something like this " That ****** is a bunch of ****** and those ******** should ******** in********with******. *********!" :D

Ranger, I read the article you mentioned. I used to be "that guy". Broke free about seven years ago and I've never been happier. Are you doing what you want to be doing?
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:50 am

Dave, I figured that you wouldn't like it if I used all those words, but they were definitely running through my mind while I was writing it.

Bill, I'm working on getting there, but I need to establish myself first. Thankfully with my jobs I still have the freedom to do most of what I want to do, not the other way around where it's dictating my life. Generally when I read it it's because I don't want to end up like my middle brother. He didn't really try after he graduated college, and now he's paying the price. He's as good as I am about hiding emotion, but I know that he's angry at himself for it because my first job pays as much as his, I have more vacation time, and better benefits. To put it in perspective, he's 9 years older than me.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:35 pm

I was thinking of Greek and his broke down butt when I posted the link :)

My perspective comes from years of physical work/exercise. I've watch too many people break down over the years. Most of them are (or were) on the top of their game and very blessed with natural talent that they abused.

When I was in my early 20's I could run about 3 miles. My body rebels against running in most hurtful ways. I hate running!
Ranger, you, on the other hand are blessed with a body that loves running. Good for you!

I think we should avail ourselves of all knowledge. I was just posting another view point. That was a good rant :affraid:
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMasterKey on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:10 pm

ranger_x3 wrote:When I read articles like that I feel the need to go slam my head against the wall a few times to get the useless information out of my head.

I will give them that running a marathon is generally not good for your health, saying that running over 15 miles a week isn't really beneficial is total crap. This entire article is meant to make people feel better about mediocrity, that they're actually healthier than people who train seriously, and that doing the bare minimum that they recommend is all you need to be at your healthiest. Its research like this that makes people feel like its ok that they sit at the office all day, then go home and sit around.

I can count on one hand how many people at work I know that go to the gym, and I know at least 30 people there. And of those people that go to the gym, not one of them looks like they're in shape (though we do have our token tall skinny blonde, but I've never talked to her about whether she even works out or not). Yes, I'm a minority being that I was a competitive runner for 10 years, but that is not an excuse for almost everyone I work with to have a gut or the start of one.

I just found out last week why people make jokes about programmers loving bacon, and it's because most programmers are overweight and are disgusting like pigs. Seriously? That should be a wake up call that they need to get up and move. Even now with my brief time off from lifting I try and park relatively far away from the store. If I'm in the same plaza as multiple stores I'll park once and walk between the stores unless it's going to be a mile to get to and from one store because I know I need to stay somewhat active.

/end rant

Part of this is stemming from having reread "Twitching with Twight" yesterday, but a lot does have to do with me seeing more and more about being ok with mediocrity. Being mediocre takes you nowhere in life. Absolutely nowhere. Striving to make oneself better in all aspects of life is what people need to aim for, not this crap that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy for sitting on your couch except for that precious hour you take out of your week to "push" yourself.

/end rant again

Edit: I think this might be the longest post I've ever written that didn't include training for the day.

Great post. You're in the minority (as are the rest of us here) and everybody else is the norm.

I have often felt similar. Take a trip to Walmart and it's hard not to feel misanthropic.

But I think I've finally just accepted it and can now put a more positive spin on things. So while the majority of people will continue to suck in every category of life, that's their problem.* And it leaves less competition for those of us who want to make something of ourselves.

But, of course, you'd better keep your thoughts to yourself in the workplace. Lest you be fired for committing thoughtcrime. :facepalm:

*until politics enter the equation.
TheMasterKey
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:55 pm

So after 3+ weeks off I'm back. The most strenuous things I've done are walk lots in a day and push a couple cars out of snow. Other than that I've been a sedentary pile of poo. This is the first time I have ever seriously taken time off and done nothing, and thankfully it wasn't nerve wracking since I kept myself pretty busy by traveling.

1/15/12

Pre-Workout Weight: 147#

Chinups: 5 @ bw, 5 @ 6#, 5 @ 12#, 5 @ 18#, 5 @ 24#, 5 @ 30#, 5 @ bw
Dumbbell Overhead Press: 5 @ 22.5#, 5 @ 27.5#, 5 @ 32.5#, 5 @ 37.5#, 5 @ 42.5, 1 @ 47.5#, 5 @ 20#
L-Sits: 4x30s

60-90s between all sets

Good to see that all this time off made me stronger. Man it feels good to be back.

This week is going to be a precursor to my modified version of 5/3/1. I'm going to be using some odd exercise choices for it for 2-3 cycles until my second job finishes up. Then I'll be getting a gym membership so I can do the proper lifts because I'll actually have time.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top