PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

In a relationship with POWER RACK

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: In a relationship with POWER RACK

Post by Dave on Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:08 pm

Squatty, find a way to get her to see this video:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I know Iran makes it harder to watch YouTube, but you've done it before. This could be worth it.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:14 pm

Thanks everyone,
Looks like I almost did quit training altogether for awhile.
I started again today...

PUSHUP (60s rests):
5x11 , 5

TUT NECK CURL:
(2x60s)x10kg
front and back
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:37 pm

With all you're going through, it is understandable if you are too emotionally beat up to work out.
However, we always have to remind you, you will feel better if you do!
Are greens (kale, spinach, beets and such) hard to get over there?
If they are readily available, the more she can get in her the better.
Juicing is a great way. I know things like that are probably hard to come by over there but I had to mention it.

Dave- thanks for that link. I'll watch it tonight!
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:16 am

I need a simpler routine for some time,
Because I don't feel right,
And thus want to do fewer exercises, so I be able to witness progress at the faster, and thus get happy and motivated.

The only main exercises I plan to do (will do each one twice a week):
ANDERSON SQUAT (10 single reps, one rep each 60s)
EZ BENT ROW (Haven't decided yet to do 10x3 or to do drop set high reps)
PUSHUP (volume based)

Side exercises:
LATERAL RAISE (drop sets, going to failure, not counting reps, done after pushups)
EZ CURL / EZ REVERSE CURL (10 singles, done after ez bent row sessions)
HISE SHRUG (going to failure, done after Anderson squats)

So to sum it up:
DAY 1 = row + curl
DAY 2 = pushup + lateral raise
DAY 3 = Anderson squat + hise shrug
DAY 4 = row + reverse curl
DAY 5 = pushup + lateral raise
DAY 6 = Anderson squat + hise shrug
DAY 7 = off

That's all folks
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:11 am

I'm training, but I didn't log my recent training.
Because I'm simply fooling around.
I'm getting obsessive about rep/set schemes, can't really decide one and follow it.
And I know it must end ASAP, focus on only one scheme, and follow it, to see results.
Okay so I want to NOT THINK ABOUT WHAT WORKS BETTER for now. and BLINDLY choose the scheme that I ENJOY THE MOST, and follow it without ever caring about if it works or not, or wondering "if there's a better working scheme out there other than this".

So let's write the desired schemes here for each exercise, and PROMISE TO MYSELF THAT THESE ARE WRITTEN IN STONE, and follow them for at least 6 months.
Main exercises:
ANDERSON SQUAT = 10x1
EZ PRESS = 10x3
EZ BENT ROW = (I'm still doubtful about this one, really can't decide.... can you help? I like to do 10x3, but I doubt it will be much helpful for size gains... please recommend something for me)

Side exercises:
EZ REVERSE CURL = 10x1
EZ CURL = 10x1
HISE SHRUG = To failure, using 50% of ANDERSON SQUAT weight
DB FLOOR FLY = 3x12
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:16 am

Yo squatty how's your pitbull neck coming along. What you mean rep set schemes?
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:22 am

Also one of the things that I burnt so much glucose to decide and finally come to a conclusion was:
Pushups or Military Press?
Pullups or Bent Rows?
That WAS the question.

I just wanted to do one of them, to keep my routine simple.
I chose Rows over Pullups,
But had a really hard time choosing between Pushups or Press, here's why:

PRESS PROS:
- I can go heavy
- I can progress by adding weight
- Awesome shoulder and traps builder

PRESS CONS:
- Neglecting the chest development

PUSHUP PROS:
- Chest builder
- Simpler than Press (no bar loading required)

PUSHUP CONS:
- Neglecting (Full) shoulder and traps development
- Can't go heavy
- Can't progress by adding weight

So fellas, I had to add one "side exercise" to each option to make it more complete,
So either I had to do PRESS + DB FLOOR FLY
or I had to do PUSHUP + DB LATERAL RAISE

I finally settled at PRESS + DB FLOOR FLY, and THIS IS WRITTEN IN STONE, for at least 6 months!

Rixstar wrote:Yo squatty how's your pitbull neck coming along. What you mean rep set schemes?

My neck has grown about 2cm, It measures 40cm at the narrowest section without a pump now.
And also it has become harder, both to touch and also look. toning/sculpting effect they call it?
And also has become stronger, I can tolerate a back neck bridge without hands easily without warmup.
By 2015 I will sport a 50cm neck.
I mean 10x3, or 3x8, or 3x12, or 5x5, or etc...
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:00 pm

My neck grew a couple of cm too. Front bridge movements did it wonders and so did self resistant movements. I'm 40 cm around the top of the Adam's apple now. 8-12 reps always good for me, just my opinion.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:25 pm

squatty wrote:I'm training, but I didn't log my recent training.
Because I'm simply fooling around.
I'm getting obsessive about rep/set schemes, can't really decide one and follow it.
And I know it must end ASAP, focus on only one scheme, and follow it, to see results.
Okay so I want to NOT THINK ABOUT WHAT WORKS BETTER for now. and BLINDLY choose the scheme that I ENJOY THE MOST, and follow it without ever caring about if it works or not, or wondering "if there's a better working scheme out there other than this".

So let's write the desired schemes here for each exercise, and PROMISE TO MYSELF THAT THESE ARE WRITTEN IN STONE, and follow them for at least 6 months.
Main exercises:
ANDERSON SQUAT = 10x1
EZ PRESS = 10x3
EZ BENT ROW = (I'm still doubtful about this one, really can't decide.... can you help? I like to do 10x3, but I doubt it will be much helpful for size gains... please recommend something for me)

Side exercises:
EZ REVERSE CURL = 10x1
EZ CURL = 10x1
HISE SHRUG = To failure, using 50% of ANDERSON SQUAT weight
DB FLOOR FLY = 3x12

Yeah, sticking with something is probably a good idea. I'm not sure that sets of 1 on curls and reverse curls, and sets of 3 on rows, are the best idea.
If you want to do singles you could always do one of the hepburn programs that allows you to go heavy--take a heavy (~90%) weight, do 4 singles. Add a single every workout: 4x1, then next time 5x1, then 6x1, etc. all the way to 10x1, then add a small weight (2.5-10lb depending on exercise) and repeat the process. It's somewhat slow but very steady progression, and you can use heavier weights so you won't get bored... maybe that'd help you keep your focus?
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:44 pm

I'm not sure it will work that good either, but Brooks Kubik says it works (He says only 5 single reps at barbell curl ONCE A WEEK is enough to build powerful 18" arms...) we will see what happens...
Anyway I like the "Vise closing" feeling of single rep curls.
And I rarely curled in my training, the worst thing that could happen is it will be like I'm not curling at all again.
I will curl twice per week (one normal, and one reverse curl session), and add 1kg each session.
For Anderson squats, I will do it twice per week, and add 1kg each session, until I stall, then will deload and add 1kg every other session (1kg per week).
BTW the anderson squat singles, are done as 1 rep each 60s. so in exactly 10 mins squatting is finished.

I'm still not sure about BENT ROW, upper back pump is important for me, maybe I will do 10x3, then pick a ligher weight and do some high rep sets to get the pump?
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:04 pm

Hey man, why don't try pull-ups instead of rows? Depending on how good you are at them, having them in your program is critical imo.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:20 pm

squatty wrote:I'm not sure it will work that good either, but Brooks Kubik says it works (He says only 5 single reps at barbell curl ONCE A WEEK is enough to build powerful 18" arms...) we will see what happens...
Anyway I like the "Vise closing" feeling of single rep curls.
And I rarely curled in my training, the worst thing that could happen is it will be like I'm not curling at all again.
I will curl twice per week (one normal, and one reverse curl session), and add 1kg each session.
For Anderson squats, I will do it twice per week, and add 1kg each session, until I stall, then will deload and add 1kg every other session (1kg per week).
BTW the anderson squat singles, are done as 1 rep each 60s. so in exactly 10 mins squatting is finished.

I'm still not sure about BENT ROW, upper back pump is important for me, maybe I will do 10x3, then pick a ligher weight and do some high rep sets to get the pump?
Yeah, no. I read dino training also, and I still think it's a great book--but you aren't building 18'' arms off of one exercise for 5 heavy singles weekly. Look at any powerlifter or bodybuilder or anyone, ESPECIALLY drug free guys, who have 18'' arms and they've had to do much more than that, for many years. I'm pretty sure that Brooks himself didn't have 18'' arms and he definitely did more than 5x1 of curls at times, plus heavy benches, etc.
Single rep curls are definitely useful (look at the vids I just put up in Dave's log) but until you can curl at least 135 I just don't see the use. I've tried curls for singles at times and though they feel good progression is really tough. If you can curl at least 100 on a bar with no body swing or shoulder cheat or whatever, then sets of 3-5 would be good... other than that, I do believe that moderate to high reps are good for single joint exercises, for base building and joint stability if nothing else.

Same goes for rows. Moderate reps. sets of 3 or even 1 on rows are fine, if you're working with 300-400 pounds. Otherwise, you can make much more progress with slightly higher reps, even if it's just 5-8. I've rowed over one and a half times bodyweight for reps (not great, but not bad) and I'm not even starting to consider such low reps.
If you're absolutely set on it, though, 10x3 followed by 1x20-30 could work pretty well.

Singles on the minute are a good idea. There are some good progressions I've seen for intermediates using singles-only training: 70-80% for 10x1 at the top of each minute, every day, add a tiny amount (microplates!) every day until you can't hit a single each minute, then take a few days off and cycle up again.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:39 pm

Iliander, Elliott Hulse, in his "How To Do More Chin Ups" video, says he believes that focusing on bent over rows with different grips for a period of time will not only not hinder your pullup numbers, but maybe even improve them. He says his own record went from 10 as a freshman in high school to 30 only 3 months later by focusing only on rows.

He also advocates increasing volume through doing assisted pullups and negatives as well as varying the grip, i.e. wide, rope, rings, etc. (and I know you are all about this varied grip method of pullup training ;)).

Last edited by Dave.cyco on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:41 pm

Iliander wrote:Hey man, why don't try pull-ups instead of rows? Depending on how good you are at them, having them in your program is critical imo.
I sure will do pullups again when I switch to a more complex routine in future with more exercises involved.
But for my three only exercise routine I prefer rows over pullups because they hit the upperback much better for me. but pullups hit the lats better than rows for me, so it boils down to upperback vs lats for now, and I'm more interested in upperback mass here than lats.

Journeyman wrote:
Yeah, no. I read dino training also, and I still think it's a great book--but you aren't building 18'' arms off of one exercise for 5 heavy singles weekly. Look at any powerlifter or bodybuilder or anyone, ESPECIALLY drug free guys, who have 18'' arms and they've had to do much more than that, for many years. I'm pretty sure that Brooks himself didn't have 18'' arms and he definitely did more than 5x1 of curls at times, plus heavy benches, etc.
Single rep curls are definitely useful (look at the vids I just put up in Dave's log) but until you can curl at least 135 I just don't see the use. I've tried curls for singles at times and though they feel good progression is really tough. If you can curl at least 100 on a bar with no body swing or shoulder cheat or whatever, then sets of 3-5 would be good... other than that, I do believe that moderate to high reps are good for single joint exercises, for base building and joint stability if nothing else.

Same goes for rows. Moderate reps. sets of 3 or even 1 on rows are fine, if you're working with 300-400 pounds. Otherwise, you can make much more progress with slightly higher reps, even if it's just 5-8. I've rowed over one and a half times bodyweight for reps (not great, but not bad) and I'm not even starting to consider such low reps.
If you're absolutely set on it, though, 10x3 followed by 1x20-30 could work pretty well.

Singles on the minute are a good idea. There are some good progressions I've seen for intermediates using singles-only training: 70-80% for 10x1 at the top of each minute, every day, add a tiny amount (microplates!) every day until you can't hit a single each minute, then take a few days off and cycle up again.
But I have 0.5kg plates, which means I can add only 1kg each session, If I curl 40kg for 10x1 today, why is it tough to curl 41kg 10x1 next week? maybe I need to learn the answer the hard way? :read:
So a back-off set after singles won't hurt? I guess I will do a back-off for low rep exercises then.
And I changed my mind:
I will row and press for 8, 10, 12.
Looks like I'm getting all confused and obsessive again... :read:

BTW of the two ROW sessions, one is pronated grip and the other is supinated grip. both using the EZ bar.
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:44 pm

I mean, sure you can add 1kg a week, but not forever, obviously....

Yeah it kinda does look like you're getting confused. What exactly are your goals at this point?
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:50 pm

GOALS:
- back, shoulder, traps, and neck ==> size
- arms, legs, torso ==> strength

I don't have 18" arms, but honestly I'm proud of what I already have (40cm upper and 30cm forearms), but of course I want bigger arms. but the thing that currently ANNOYS me, is that I don't have enough power to match the look of my arms, meaning I keep losing arm wrestling matches to kids with noodle arms, to the point that they started calling me "cotton arms". meaning my arms are filled with cotton and just are just puffed and have no strength.
I want to gain strength in arms ASAP before more humiliation.
That's why I want to do singles, to be able to add weight to the bar faster.
And the arm wrestling matches I won was all looking ridiculous, I mean I had to kill my arse and my face turned deeply red and I might even almost had a fart to win a kid with 11" arms.

Last edited by squatty on Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:56 pm

Thanks for the info Dave. That's awesome.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:05 pm

You tried plyos for power? or even supersetting stuff to kill the arms off more, like bench press with tricep extensions, bent rows with bicep curls. i dont know really but im sure Jman does. or static holds? i want huge traps, GRRR.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:52 pm

squatty wrote:GOALS:
- back, shoulder, traps, and neck ==> size
- arms, legs, torso ==> strength

I don't have 18" arms, but honestly I'm proud of what I already have (40cm upper and 30cm forearms), but of course I want bigger arms. but the thing that currently ANNOYS me, is that I don't have enough power to match the look of my arms, meaning I keep losing arm wrestling matches to kids with noodle arms, to the point that they started calling me "cotton arms". meaning my arms are filled with cotton and just are just puffed and have no strength.
I want to gain strength in arms ASAP before more humiliation.
That's why I want to do singles, to be able to add weight to the bar faster.
And the arm wrestling matches I won was all looking ridiculous, I mean I had to kill my arse and my face turned deeply red and I might even almost had a fart to win a kid with 11" arms.

For back and shoulder size--volume is the key. Density work or descending sets of moderate reps. Lots of rows and strict shrugs. Heavy overhead presses too, and the 50-rep thing if it's still working for you.
For leg and torso strength, low reps and go heavy. I think the problem here is that, while you're right that training primarily with low reps done as heavily as possible will have more carryover to your 1RM, you might not be able to add weight as efficiently as if you did a few reps (3, 5, 8, whatever). So, doing 'everything in sets of 1' might be overreacting. In all likelihood you won't be able to add weight to the bar as quickly.

Arm wrestling is very much based on technique unless both you and your opponent are very very strong already. Focus on getting hand and wrist control right off the bat. Do wrist curls and finger curls as heavily as possible in the 20-30 range and focus on locking your bicep tight from the start of the match so that your fist is as close to your own shoulder as possible.
If you want a special exercise, do this:
It focuses on helping you lock your arm statically at the top end of your range of motion, which is what you need in armwrestling (static lock both offensively and defensively). Curls really don't help with that as much though of course a strong curl will help you a great deal as will strong rows, wrist and finger curls, etc.
The simplest way to go is just locking your bicep, shoulder and lat together, tightening your hand, keeping your wrist straight... and then leaning back (backpressure) to open up his arm. Lean back and roll his hand over towards your non working shoulder. This is a posting style toproll and I think it's the easiest technique to learn.
If mr. noodle arms whines about you pulling on the outside, next time dive in and take his rotation away by cupping your wrist (so that if you're going with your right arm, your knuckles point directly to the left and the back of your hand faces him, thumb towards the ceiling. This will put him basically in a curling position, your cup beating his rotation, and he'll have to fight your entire coordinated upperbody with just his bicep.
The first technique focuses on breaking his wrist back. The second focuses on getting his palm to face up.

Posting toproll:

One by devon larratt showing what I meant about cup vs. rotation in the hook.

Armwrestling is almost unbelievably complicated, but that should be enough to have you beating the other fellows.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:00 pm

what about fat off resistance bands or rope or whatever, tie them to a wall and arm wrestle it.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:06 pm

^ Some do that. Most actual armwrestlers just use that as warmup/cooldown/prehab, though. Using bands doesn't let you focus on your hand, which is what you should be doing.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:51 pm

Yeah, armwrestling is more about technique and getting "the jump" on the other guy. Also specific strength - not from any sort of weight-training exercises, but from actual armwrestling practice.

The worst part of being beaten at AW by a smaller guy, or someone who doesn't exercise but works with his hands for a living, etc., is the "LOL BRO I BEAT U I THAWT U LIFT WAITES TROLOLOLOLOLOL" at the end. It's just what it is... got to live with it, one day at a time.
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:49 pm

The problem is I lost to so many people who never did any manual labour, nor did touch any weights in their entire life time.. AKA 98lbs geeks...
And I'm sure they were not expert at AW technique either, that's what makes me so shameful about myself...

Anyway, I heed your advice and go with medium reps, and leave low reps and singles for later.

############

PRONATED EZ BENT ROW:
3x15x25kg
Rest = 2 mins

EZ CURL:
(8, 10, 12)x20kg
Rest = 2 mins

UN-LOG-ABLE TRAINING:
ROW = a back-off set to failure using 50% of work sets
CURL = lots of cheat curls using 20kg to destroy everything, I curl only once per week, so got to demolish the arms every single curl session :nod:

Last edited by squatty on Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:25 am; edited 1 time in total
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:36 pm

That's good stuff, man. Try to get those rows up to 100kg+ as quickly as possible.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:11 am

You mean 3x15x100kg ??? How much time would it take do you think? is it reachable in a year?

####################

EZ PRESS:
(8, 10, 12)x30kg
+ 50% back-off set
Rest = 2 mins

DB FLOOR FLY:
canceled

###################

Okay, after field testing my decision, I want to reconsider again, and replace EZ PRESS with PUSHUP because:
- DB FLOOR FLY is not a healthy exercise for me, it hurts my shoulders even doing with weights light enough to do 50 reps.
- I can't just do EZ PRESS and leave the pecs all alone, If I do, I will have saggy boobs instead of pecs in no time again...

So PUSHUPS + LATERAL RAISE (Which I have done before and do not hurt my shoulder) win here by decision.
But I want to do PUSHUPS everyday.
Like this:
I will start doing 5 reps on top of every 60s for 10 sets everyday (50 reps total), do it for an entire week,
then for the second week, I will start doing 5 reps on top of every 50s for 10 sets everyday,
And continue to progress like that (reduce rest time by 10s every week), until I reach to a rest time of 30 seconds,
Then will reset back to rests of 60s and increase the reps by 5 (so it will be 10 reps on top of every 60s for 10 sets = 100 reps).
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:16 pm

That looks like a solid pushup progression, I'd definitely keep that one going.

squatty wrote:You mean 3x15x100kg ??? How much time would it take do you think? is it reachable in a year?

You're overthinking. I just meant the ability to do several strict reps, period, with 100kg. And, as for timing, how should I know? If you focus I bet you could get it within a year but it's really impossible to tell. I have done something like 6 or 7 strict reps with 97kg, though, weighing ~64kg, so, yeah. Very attainable.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:20 pm

In my opinion, rowing 100 kg should be already doable for anyone with a total pullup strength of 250 + pounds (BW + external resistance).
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:34 pm

Not necessarily; especially if all one does is pullups... the lats might be disproportionately strong compared to the rhomboids/low traps, it depends on pullup form. Also, if one does a ton of pullups but not much pulling off the floor, or enough midsection work, the low back might not be strong enough to row 100kg in that manner. Even that might not be enough, I know for sure that when I pulled up (well, chinned) +100 for a total of ~145 the first time , I definitely couldn't strict row 100kg even though I could deadlift about 155kg (roundbacked, which probably made the difference).

Not that a 100kg strict row, say, for 5-10, is actually impressive by any means. Just that performance in one lift probably won't always be directly proportional to performance in another....
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by alexander_a on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:53 pm

And true the other way around as well, before I started doing pullups, I only used weights and I repped BB-rows with 90 kg for my workouts and high rep kroc row with 42 kg, but could not do many reps och pullups at all. Specific training for specific qualities seem to hold true often! But with a good base it's easier to master new stuff as well!

alexander_a
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:55 pm

Just speaking from my own experience as one who never rowed much, but did a lot of pullups.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:57 pm

alexander_a wrote:Specific training for specific qualities seem to hold true often! But with a good base it's easier to master new stuff as well!

This, always.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:05 am

BREATHING SQUAT:
20x50kg

HISE SHRUG:
50x50kg

####################

I will squat twice per week, 20 rep squatting, this decision is carved in stone, I will not change it until at least I hit 20x90kg (200lbs)

My power rack doesn't have any rack pins yet (That's simple to make but I don't have time for it right now), so the first rep is done off the safety pins from deep ATG position. That makes the set a bit harder, but no problem, that means more effort with less weight.

"To make heavy, high rep squats and deadlifts work for you, you have to
attack the bar as if your very life depended on it. Nothing less will do.
"
- Brooks Kubik

I like to print the bold section and install it in front of my eyes on the wall where I squat, so I stare and read that quote again every single rep I do.
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:03 am

SUPINATED EZ BENT ROW:
3x15x25kg
Rest = 2 mins

REVERSE EZ CURL:
(8, 10, 12)x20kg
Rest = 2 mins

PUSHUPS ON TOP OF EVERY 60s:
5x10

PLUS:
Un-log-able amount of cheat reps, drop sets, reverse wrist curls, to blast the arms.

Then ate 1 litre of milk, plus 5 raw whole eggs, now it's time to rest and GROW
I can already feel these pumped forearms sucking up every aminoacid floating in veins.

Last edited by squatty on Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:10 pm

squatty wrote:
I can already feel these pumped forearms sucking up every aminoacid floating in veins.

Yeah baby! I can see them growing from here! :magnify:
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:16 am

Those 4arms will be like 5 soon! :mrgreen:
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:46 am

BREATHING SQUAT:
30x50kg

SHRUG:
canceled, didn't really have the nerve for shrugs after high rep squatting, got to put shrugs into another day

#######################

20x50kg made me really really sore last session (because I didn't squat since a long time), today was still sore but trained sore as you guys recommended and this time did 30 reps. I owe a bravo to myself and also know that next session 20x51kg will be super easy since I repped 50kg for 30 reps.

So I repeat each poundage twice, the first run will be for 20 reps, and the second run will go beyond 20 and keep repping as long as possible, the more extra reps I get the more confident I will be for the next poundage (which will be 1kg heavier).
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:27 am

Just woke up from night's sleep, no more soreness!
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:10 pm

Woof I'm feeling so much energy, can't wait for next workout to come.
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMasterKey on Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:19 pm

You still doing neck training?
TheMasterKey
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:03 am

SURE! But I don't feel like logging it.
Sometimes training is easier than logging for certain exercises.
I'm doing it 4 days per week. two times front/back curl and two times left/right curl.
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:33 pm

EZ BENT ROW:
3x20x25kg [repeat]
Rest = 2 mins

EZ CURL:
(8, 10, 12)x21kg [repeat]
Rest = 2 mins

PUSHUPS ON TOP OF EVERY 60s:
10x5
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:46 pm

squatty wrote:EZ BENT ROW:
3x20x25kg [repeat]
Rest = 2 mins

Question : Are you doing the Bent over Rows Yates sryle or more like Pendlay Rows ?
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:14 pm

I do them with torso completely parallel to the floor, and extend my arms completely at the end of each rep, but since I'm using small diameter dumbbell plates on the EZ bar, the bar never touches the floor until the set is finished (unlike Pendlay rows where every rep begins from the floor).
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:55 pm

PUSHUP:
5x10
Rest = 1 min

DB LATERAL RAISE:
27x3kg

EZ SHRUG:
tried many different stuff, liked the "rep hold method" so much.
Did 20 reps using 25kg (1st rep holding 1 sec, 2nd rep holding 2 secs, .... , 20th rep holding 20 secs) in one straight set without letting the bar on floor between reps.
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:14 pm

Been reading "The Walking Dead" comic books for the past 3 days, I always loved zombies but was so frightened from watching zombie movies that decided they are not good for me to watch. so 3 days ago tried zombie comics, and never thought it would make me so frightened again...
I won't continue reading those comic books anymore because I'm so horribly frightened right now that I have to skip my squatting workout tomorrow (I hope not) because the power rack is in the basement, and I'm too scared right now to ever step there...
And the more embarrassing part is I am sleeping at nights with lights on, and have upset all the family because they can't sleep well with the lights on...
darn reading those comics made an scared little kid out of me.
And I didn't go that far, just did go far to the #16 issue. what will happen if I continue reading to #100? probably will end up in a mental hospital due severe panic.
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:41 pm

Really? Something's definitely not right here my friend.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:03 pm

You mean I have a mental condition or something?
I don't get the same effect from other horror genres, like ghosts and killers, at all. but zombies always left me severely frightened for good periods of time whenever I got curious again to watch that new zombie movie everyone was talking about.
My first meet with zombies was playing Resident Evil 2 at a "video game shop" (where you pay to play consoles for time) at 11 years old.
I just played for 5 minutes before throwing the controller away due to being shocked and running away, and I had to hold my brother's arm for the entire night, and I couldn't really sleep well, it was only sweating cold under the blanket for the entire night. this lasted about 3 months until I recovered fully.
Oh and at that time the toilet was located in the yard, and I had to wake up my brother to company me everytime I did need to go to toilet at the middle of the night due to stress.
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:11 pm

squatty wrote:You mean I have a mental condition or something?

No, what I mean is something is not right with being afraid of something that doesn't exist. That is all. It sounds like you just need to give yourself a dose of mind over matter.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:18 pm

I know they do not exists, but can't control my instincts don't know why, as soon as I step somewhere quite and alone, especially if it's dark, adrenaline rushes to the roof.
But do not show me any zombies for a year, and I have no problem stepping and staying in the darkest places at all.
I just should avoid zombies.
But that's a sad shame, I wish I could read those comics and watch those movies and enjoy them like other people. especially those comics are so well written.
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Yeah zombie stories are great because they hit on so many of our issues with mortality, morality, crisis psychology, etc.

Maybe you need to desensitize yourself? Immerse yourself in zombie literature for a time and get so used to it that it doesn't scare you? (Not suggesting it, just asking if it might work)
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top