PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Powered By Sushi

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Powered By Sushi

Post by Dave on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:04 pm

ranger_x3 wrote:Never seen anything about toe elevation. I think it'd just be weird to have my feet on an incline while doing any sort of leg lift.

I tried it and it was actually pretty cool. Of course, my "RDLs" did touch the ground.

What, still don't want to call me a fast freak? :angryrex:

:dinorun:
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:46 pm

Now I understand why all the running dinosaurs... :lol!:

4/9/13

Pre-Workout Weight: 154# (It's a fat day)

Warmup: 50 Jumping Jacks + 6 way BBell Complex @ 45#
(8 Chin ups @ bw, 6 Deadlift, 6 Bent Row, 6 Hang Clean, 6 Front Squat, 6 Overhead Press, 6 Back Squat, 8 Pushups @ bw)

Overhead Press: 5 @ 45#, 5x5 @ 95#, 10 @ 45#
Alternated With
Chinups: 5 @ bw, 3x5, 4, 3 @ 34#, 5 @ bw

2.5 hours of racquetball, 5 people, rotating out every couple games

So I think if I hadn't been so fat today I would have made it through the chinups. Still a pretty good effort since I really worked my grip with the RDL's yesterday.

Overhead press went way better than expected. Last week I couldn't do more than one set of 5 and this week I did the full 5x5. I'm really liking how the atlas pushups and overheads are complementing each other. As soon as I make progress in one, I make progress with the other.

As for my "fatness," I've basically had the munchies since RDL's yesterday. Any food I've come across has gotten annihilated and I'm eating larger portions than usual. I'm sure it'll stop happening as soon as I bump my mileage up so I'm running more than 3 days a week. It's a little scary though, for as many calories as I'm going to need it's going to be a challenge to eat that much in a day.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:02 pm

4/10/13

6.25 miles (2.25 miles warmup, 6 laps of hard stride straights, jog turns, 2.5 miles home)

6 way BBell Complex @ 45#
(8 Chin ups @ bw, 6 Deadlift, 6 Bent Row, 6 Hang Clean, 6 Front Squat, 6 Overhead Press, 6 Back Squat, 8 Pushups @ bw)

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:20 pm

4/11/13

Pre-Workout Weight: 152#

Warmup: 50 Jumping Jacks, 6 way BBell Complex @ 45#

Atlas Pushups: 5 @ bw, 5 @ 34#, 2x5, 2x4, 3 @ 75#, 10 @ bw (Start from bottom)
Barbell Rows: 5 @ 45#

Bent V Body Curls: 3x3
Alternated with
Barbell Rows (UH): 3x5 @ 95#

No idea what else to call the body curls. I literally got into a bent knee v-up while hanging from the bar before curling my body up into a tuck front lever and doing a horizontal pull to the bar before uncurling back to vertical. Felt good, but I didn't feel it as much in the middle of my back like I do with the static holds, it was much more in the back of my shoulders. Also, no leg momentum. The focus is purely to help progress with the front lever.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:59 pm

4/12/13

Pre-Workout Weight: 151#

Front Squat: 5 @ 45#, 3x10 @ 95#, 3x10 @ 105#, 10 @ 45#

If your ass doesn't touch your ankles it doesn't count.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:37 pm

You're doing a loooooot of exercises Ranger! Don't do too much.
Nice stuff though :angryrex: :dinorun:
Nathan
Accomplished
Accomplished

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:21 pm

Thanks man! It ain't that much though, just one for each basic movement direction.

Hip Dominant Leg: Deadlifts --> RDL's
Vertical Push: Overhead Press
Vertical Pull: Chinups
Horizontal Push: Atlas Pushups
Horizontal Pull: Barbell Rows/Front Levers (Guess I have 2 here)
Quad Dominant Leg: Zercher Squats --> Front Squats

Exercises may change here and there, I noted the change for legs with arrows above, but I still keep with the basic movements.

4/13/13 - Almost a speeding particle

Pre-Run Weight: 149# (Post was 147#)

Ran 6.5 miles in 46:34 ~ 7:10 pace
- 2.05 miles warmup in 15:39 ~ 7:38 pace
- 2.4 miles hard effort in 14:43 (7:19, 7:24) ~ 6:08 pace
- 2.05 miles cool down in 16:12 ~ 7:54 pace

4 x strides across the parking lot with walkback recovery

So I guess I'm not quite as slow as I thought I was, but I'm still pretty far off. Mud was a huge factor today, and I wore the heaviest pair of sweat pants I own. Those alone weight as much as a pair of jeans. Next weekend when it's hopefully warmer than the 43 it was this morning I should be running sub 6 with the same amount of effort.

I was pretty surprised that I maintained pace so well through the hard portion. I would have expected with my temporarily limited endurance that I would have slowed down much more. Had I done another loop, that might have been a different story.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan on Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:19 am

Oh ok! Excuse me, I didn't look at it in that way, now I understand.
Well, in my opinion those are great exercises.
Good stuff!
Nathan
Accomplished
Accomplished

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:08 pm

Yeah, I only pay attention to stuff like that because I'll find myself nursing some odd upper body injury related to my shoulders otherwise. The addition of overhead pressing and horizontal pulling has kept me basically injury free while lifting.

4/14/13

9.25ish miles in 63:26 ~ 6:51 pace

Just went with the flow today. This is about the slow end of the range I'd like my easy runs to be, the fast end at about 6:25-6:30.

This also marks the conclusion of my 3 day/20ish mile weeks. Next 3 weeks will be 30ish miles with 5 running days.

This week was a little experimentation to see what kind of weight I wanted to use for the first high volume cycles for leg days. 155# seems appropriate for RDL's and 105# for the front squats. I'll be cycling 6x10, 5x12, and 4x15 over 3 week periods for each before bumping the weight up marginally. Upper body stuff will stay with 5x5 for the next 2 weeks since I'm still making progress with it. I haven't yet decided if I want work up to a max attempt on those exercises (not including the barbell rows) or if I just want to experiment and find a good weight to start the high volume.

Regardless, the next 6 weeks are about to show me whether I'm ready to handle some real training or if I'm still working on gaining back what I lost.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:15 pm

4/15/13

Pre-Workout Weight: 150#

Deficit RDL: 5 @ 45#, 5 @ 95#, 6x10 @ 155#, 10 @ 45#

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:49 pm

ranger_x3 wrote:Front Squat... If your ass doesn't touch your ankles it doesn't count.

Yeah, that's where it gets fun. Where's your sticking point? Mine is not even the bottom, but right smack dab in the middle of the movement, or maybe even slightly above.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:24 am

It's been so long since I did a heavy set of these that I'm not really sure. Unless I'm playing a with a stupid heavy weight and can't even get back up I'd say it's from just before parallel to parallel because of the shift in muscle groups taking charge.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:25 am

Interesting. Thanks.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:08 pm

4/16/13

Pre-Workout Weight: 153#

Overhead Press: blah
Chins/Pulls: blah
Shoulder Rehab/Loosening

3.4ish miles in 24:19 ~ 7:09 pace

RDL's don't seem to be getting along with heavy overhead pressing. I'm going to switch to high rep stuff to hopefully get it back into sync next week.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:33 pm

4/17/13

2.25 miles warmup in 15:46 ~ 7:00 pace
7 laps of hard effort straights, jog turns in 13:38
2.25 miles cool down in 17:38 ~ 7:50 pace

2 hours of racquetball, half just 2x2 no rotation, then 2x2 rotate out every four games after my brother showed up

The cool down was really all that slow. I went to the track club I ran with a few times last year, but I was told the wrong start time so I ran 3 laps of my cool down with the head guy which took the first 6:30 or so.

Shoulder didn't bother me at all during racquetball today. I think that one of the bicep connections in my shoulder is what got inflamed, which makes sense with the range of motion I go through with the RDL's. Had I eased into those a bit better I probably wouldn't have this issue. I'll still do the shoulder loosening tomorrow and Friday so it hopefully doesn't happen again next week.

If I didn't owe someone at work an avocado I would probably work from home tomorrow to get some extra sleep. After the first 45 min of racquetball I was toast...

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:04 pm

4/18/13

6ish miles in 44:20 ~ 7:23 pace

It was a much needed recovery day. The pounding on my legs from running on a worn out track followed by lots of racquetball left my quads pretty tight and caused some shin splints in for today's run. The heat didn't help, but that's beside the point.

I'll do a few pushups and light rows later, but nothing substantial. I want my shoulders to get some rest before next week.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:00 pm

4/19/13

Pre-Workout Weight: 148#

Front Squat: 5 @ 45#, 5 @ 95#, 6x10 @ 115#, 10 @ 45#

Rule #2 for Front Squats: You should be choking yourself with the bar.

Got a little light headed during today's workout. Probably time to turn on the ac in the apartment since it says it's 71 in here.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:29 pm

4/20/13

Pre-Run Weight: 148#

2.25ish miles warmup: 17:00
2 miles hard: 11:37 (5:56, 5:41)
2.25ish miles cool down: 16:27

I was really feeling those front squats today, especially in my quads on any sort of incline. It wasn't expected since I felt everything in my glutes and hamstrings during the front squats yesterday, quads were a non-factor.

So those 2 miles in the middle, I think my legs loosened up a ton for the second loop. I was expecting much more along the lines of last week where I was a few seconds slower for the second loop, not dropping 15 seconds.

Now while this does look good on paper that I'm getting back in shape much faster than expected, I don't think it's such a great idea if I keep trying to run faster every week and race myself back to where I used to be. I'll burn out and probably stop following the plan I've conceived. The best option is probably to keep doing what I'm doing for now, run a race and the end of my 30 miles per week cycle (2 weeks from tomorrow), and then base paces off of races I run every 6 weeks to keep a tab on fast I'm getting.

That said, I still need to find a race for that weekend.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:25 pm

4/21/13

Pre-Run Weight: 147#

10ish miles in 1:13:04 ~ 7:18 pace

Despite being only 40F outside, I shouldn't have been wearing under armor, a long sleeve, 2 pairs of shorts, sweats, gloves, and a headband. I would have been fine with 2 shirts and 2 shorts.

Legs are a bit tired now, need to refuel and rehydrate.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:11 pm

ranger_x3 wrote:

Front Squat: 5 @ 45#, 5 @ 95#, 6x10 @ 115#, 10 @ 45#

Rule #2 for Front Squats: You should be choking yourself with the bar.

Definitely. You might wanna try for lower reps though,no? 3x5 @ 155+ would likely be more productive than 6x10 @ 115.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:31 pm

Journeyman wrote:Definitely. You might wanna try for lower reps though,no? 3x5 @ 155+ would likely be more productive than 6x10 @ 115.
Why? :confused1: Both are productive I think...
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:40 pm

It's bodybuilding vs. strength training. What is Micah's goal, hypertrophy or strength?

And my 2 coppers - I don't need to be choked by the bar to perform good form front squats.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:54 pm

I was running into plateaus with my lower rep stuff before, especially with my deadlift. I'm doing a 15 week cycle(14 weeks left) of higher volume before moving back to 5x5ish for 12 weeks and eventually my own concoction of 5/3/1 for another 12 weeks.

Honestly I was probably just moving up in weight too fast because I'm greedy when it comes to gains. The way I have it programmed out right now I'm forcing myself to stick with a weight for 3 weeks at a time before increasing it. Cycling 6x10, 5x12, 4x15 for volume, 6x4, 5x5, 4x6 afterwards, 5/3/1 without the recovery week, and finally just cycling the recovery week of 5/3/1 during the main racing season follow this template pretty well. It should also give me a much better strength base than I've had in years past where I did volume for a few weeks to get into a groove and then switched to 5x5 until I decided I was too tired from lifting to run fast.

My other excuse is that without a squat rack I can't do higher weight leg exercises, which I'm still waiting to buy after I move because I don't want to have it setup for a month and then take it down and move it again. Power cleaning 115 isn't an issue, 155 is since that's my pr.

Also, since Dave posted before I got this up, aiming for a little hypertrophy while I'm building mileage isn't a bad thing. I just won't be building strength as fast as I would doing a lower volume, higher intensity scheme. The hope is also that once I drop volume in lifting that I'll actually feel fresher during running workouts since 5x5 hasn't ever affected me for a workout if I space them out enough.

The bar choking wasn't a literal comment, but I find that if the bar isn't touching my neck for at least part of the movement then my elbows aren't high enough and my upper back is going to round over.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:21 pm

Some people need to actually dig the bar right into their throats in a big way to get their elbows high enough for proper thoracic extension. I just don't happen to be one of them, and from the sounds of it, neither do you. I think Josh T. is one of those people though.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:32 pm

Dave.cyco wrote:Some people need to actually dig the bar right into their throats in a big way to get their elbows high enough for proper thoracic extension. I just don't happen to be one of them, and from the sounds of it, neither do you. I think Josh T. is one of those people though.

Bodybuilding vs. strength training has nothing to do with rep ranges... just a matter of being able to use heavier weights--and comfort, with front squats. But if you're cleaning the bar then sticking with 115 is wiser.

As for the throat thing, it is about thoracic extension but mainly about getting the bar as close as possible to your center of gravity. Pulling your shoulders back and getting the bar right into your windpipe is very important for that.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:39 pm

I can see how that would matter more with very heavy weights, i.e. more than I have lifted.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:48 pm

I mean, it made things noticeably easier to groove, if nothing else, with 225 or anything over. Maybe it's a bodyweight ratio thing, though, as that's over 1.5x for me....
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:50 pm

And I have not yet hit 1.5... so maybe you're right. Though I have actually been trying to bring the bar close lately just in anticipation of heavier weights in the future and to get used to breathing with a steel bar pressing into my neck. :)
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:24 pm

Bar rolling off your shoulders is 3 things generally:

1) When you set up, you aren't getting your shoulders UNDER and somewhat IN FRONT of the bar, so the bar is between your shoulders and throat, not on top or forward of your shoulders. This is the mistake I see most often, by far.

2) When you sink into the hole, you're letting your elbows fall down instead of keeping them up as high as you can, so the bar is falling off your shoulders forwards. This isn't as common, but happens to some people...also can happen with warped bars sometimes.

3) You have small shoulders/upper chest, making it harder to set up properly because the bar doesn't have much flesh to "sink" into, and instead is just on top of bone more or less, rolling around more easily. This is the least common legitimate problem; however, many skinny people would probably love to blame it on this as an excuse for crap setup/execution.

Some words of advice (perhaps not necessary, but still worth the read) by a 475 front squatter (@ 200) from T-nation. He also liked and advised rotating between close and wide stance FS, or pausing at the bottom, or doing singles with 'no hands' or going up to sets of 10 all with a crossed-arm grip.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:11 am

4/22/13

Pre-Workout Weight: 149#

Deficit RDL: 5 @ 45#, 5 @ 95#, 5 @ 135#, 5x12 @ 155#, 10 @ 45#

Really need to get that chalk. Tossing the bar around in the middle of a set to re-grip isn't my favorite thing to do.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:23 am

4/23/13

Overhead Press: 5 @ 45#, 6x10 @ 55#, 10 @ 20# db's
Chinups: 4x10, 2x8, 1x4

1.5 hours racquetball with 3 people, time split between 3 person and 1v1

3.4ish miles in 25:41 ~ 7:33 pace

Last set of chinups was to get in 60 total. I feel like it will be the only exercise to possibly not work with my volume protocol because I'm grip limited by the foam pads.

The run was a nice way to shake the legs out before tomorrow. I'm just glad I'm not sore at all from the RDL's and I'm only a little bit tight in my lower back and hamstrings, but nothing a little stretching can't fix.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:27 am

4/24/13

2.25 miles warmup in 16:17
8 laps of hard effort straights, jog turns in 15:29
2.25 miles cool down in 17:47

Overall I was a little slower than last week, but I attribute that to the rain since I didn't feel tired at all for the workout. This was the workout I've been waiting for, to just feel my form fall exactly into place like how it was at the end of college where any pace that I would run for 800m to 3km was smooth but faster and slower still felt a bit off.

I did find a race. I'll be running a 5k a week from Sunday to figure out where I'm at. It was the most competitive one I could find, all the others that weekend looked like I had a shot at winning, and as much as I love winning, it wouldn't give me an accurate read on what kind of shape I'm in like having a bunch of people around my level will.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:11 am

4/25/13

30, 20, 10 Pushups alternated with 45# Barbell Rows

4/26/13

Front Squat: 5 @ 45#, 5x12 @ 115#, 5 @ 45#

4.5ish miles in 33:35

Not running this weekend. My IT band flared up something fierce yesterday and I had to walk the last 1.5 miles back to my car. I'm not sure what caused it specifically since it's never been an issue for me before, but stretching made it feel better on the walk back so I think I just need some time for the inflammation to go down. Hopefully I'll be good for my run on Tuesday. Sadly, racing is going to need to wait so I won't be running that 5k next weekend.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:27 am

Too bad. Take some glutamine, eat lots of kale and other veggies and drink lots of water and hopefully it'll bring down the inflammation some.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:10 pm

It actually feels much better today. I think it's a sign that I really need to pay attention to my stretching. I'm taking alive in the evenings to get the inflammation down, one of the few times I use medicine for anything.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:50 pm

Added calcium (magnesium and zinc are included which is a bonus), vitamin D, and omega-3 supplements to my diet. I've been meaning to get back into taking them, as much as I don't like pills, but I know for a fact I'm not getting all the nutrients I need since I haven't been drinking milk lately.

Oddly enough, after half a day of laying on the couch to rest my IT band it no longer has any noticeable inflammation that I can even feel. I've been doing side leg raises periodically through the afternoon both as reps and static holds to strengthen it. I'm taking it as a sign that my body was trying to tell me that something was out of balance and I needed to do something to fix it.

I don't know if anyone else here pays attention to their heart rate, but I got so used to my resting being around 56-60 while I was in college I was a little shocked when it was down to 51-52 while I was sitting at work the past few days considering the amount of time I've put into running lately. The lowest I've ever measured before this was 53, and that was after laying in bed for a while waiting to go to sleep.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:02 pm

That's a HUGE surprise. I once measure mine as low as 39. Just now sitting at the 'puter I got 58. I would have expected yours to be in the high thirties to mid forties.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GreekPT on Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:27 pm

My HR is pretty much where yours is. There was a stretch there when it was in the high 40's - very low 50's, first thing in the morning.

I haven't been using my HR monitor at all...my buds tell me their HR is in the 160's on these long ass brutal climbs and mine's more like in the high 180's.

Funny how your cool down pace trashes most people's race paces!

GreekPT
Wanted for Chococide
Wanted for Chococide

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnyD on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:11 am

I find that the more cardio I do the lower the resting rate goes which might explain why yours has gone lower since you have been doing a lot of running lately. I also find mine is at its lowest late at night just before I go to bed. I measured mine the other day and it was at 37. The next morning it was about 48. At the moment it is about 60 and when I run I try to maintain a rate of about 160.
johnnyD
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:47 am

I think it may lend itself to my probably over-training in college since I was in much better cardiovascular shape then than I am now, unless I'm just missing part of the big picture and haven't noticed it yet. I don't have a range I try to maintain while running. The strap for my hr monitor hasn't left the glove box of my car since last summer and I don't know my max hr. I can't use the formulas because I know for a fact I can still get over 200.

My IT band feels great today. I can't even find the spot it was inflamed in my knee. I will definitely be good to go for my running this week, but I'm still taking today off to let it get some more rest.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:13 pm

4/29/13

Deficit RDL: 5 @ 45#, 5 @ 95#, 5 @ 135#, 3x15, 13+2 @ 155#, 10 @ 95#

4/30/13

2ish hours of raquetball + running to and from the court

At first it felt a bit weird playing racquetball because of my IT band, but after about an hour it loosened up completely and feels normal again. By weird I mean that I just noticed it working, no pain or anything, which was probably because I hadn't really used it for 3 days. I think this week will be getting back in the groove of running and next week I think I'll be good for mileage but will need to take a little longer to progress back into as much speed as I had been putting in.

No lifting today, didn't have time and I don't like to lift after cardio just because I know I'm not going to have my full concentration.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by GreekPT on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:50 pm

Ranger, maybe you do this automatically but I just read about it before my last 1/2 marathon in Hollywood and I've been using this method pretty much ever since. Only problem is I can't count my 3 ins and 2 outs while simultaneously trying to count footstrikes/minute!! :mrgreen:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm even incorporating it on long climbs on the bike...

GreekPT
Wanted for Chococide
Wanted for Chococide

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:55 pm

I've done this in the past. When walking I would breathe in for 4 and out for 2 steps. Periodically I would try to breath in for 6 and out for 2 or 4. I also tried it when running hills about 4 years ago, though I can't remember the numbers.

I always kept it to even numbers to avoid the confusion of left, right, left, right, etc. for my exhalation or inhalation.

I also played around with this concept during punch-outs on the heavy bag.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:58 pm

Something similar--I used to do 'breathing ladders' while on slow jogs a few years back. Inhale 1 step L/R, exhale 1 step each. Inhale 2, exhale 2, inhale 3, exhale 3, etc. up as far as you can go then start again at 1. Good for building lung capacity and teaching you to control your breathing, as well as putting a bit more conditioning strain on yourself without actually running very hard.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Wed May 01, 2013 12:10 am

Maybe I do it naturally, but I usually try for a 2-2 or some matching set of numbers depending on the pace if I'm paying attention. Most of the time I try breathing as relaxed as possible for the pace. Breathing relaxed lets my entire body loosen up and make my form a bit smoother.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Sun May 05, 2013 8:21 pm

5/1/13

1 mile warmup
8x200m w/ 200m jog
2.5ish miles cooldown

5/2/13

30, 20, 10 of pushups supersetted with rows

5/4/13

3ish miles in 20:15

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Tue May 07, 2013 8:18 am

5/6/13

Pre-Workout Weight: 149#

Deficit RDL: 5 @ 45#, 5 @ 95#, 5 @ 135#, 3x15, 14+1 @ 155#, 10 @ 95#

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Wed May 08, 2013 8:18 am

5/7/13

Overhead Press: 5 @ 45#, 5x12 @ 55#, 10 @ 45#
Chinups: 4x10, 9, 7, 4

2 hours of 3 person racqetball

.5 miles cooldown from everything

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Thu May 09, 2013 8:27 am

5/8/13

1.5 mile warmup
10x200m w/ 200m jog
1.5 miles cooldown

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Fri May 10, 2013 8:14 am

5/9/13

6ish miles on trails

No times for a bit because I lost my stopwatch...

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top