PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Blair's Introduction

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Blair's Introduction

Post by barchibald on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:42 am

Hi,

Thought I should introduce myself and tell you a bit about me.

My name is Blair and I'm from Scotland. About a year and a half ago I got really into fitness, but after about 6 (great) months, work took over and I started loosing interest. My goal is to get back into fitness because it really does make you feel great.

I like to workout at home, I think many gyms are either too busy or just out to sell you things you don't need. I started doing home workouts using dumbbells and some information from the internet - I didn't get many gains from this (strength or mass). I decided that weights perhaps aren't the greatest thing ever and looked into bodyweight exercises, I got a copy of convict conditioning and this gave me great strength gains (and some tone!) I only managed to get to step 5/6 in the big 4 exercises (never quite made it to bridges or handstands) until work took over :(

I don't have the biggest build and this is one thing I want to change, I took measurements the other day and from various sources I am verging on being underweight - I'd like to put on some mass to get to a "healthy weight" and then I can work on strength.

My goals for this year:

- Create a new plan for mass gain (perhaps someone can help with this)
- Eat more fats (nuts, seeds etc).
- Improve strength in general (possibly with CC)
- Improve flexibility (I can't touch my toes which I hate!) - again I'd love some help with this.
- Keep a log and stick to it to keep motivated.
- Don't let work take over (my workout only needs 3/4 days a week - there's no excuse!)

I look forward to getting to know you all.

Many thanks,
Blair

barchibald
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Re: Blair's Introduction

Post by Rastaman on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:54 am

Hi Blair , welcome.

Those are some good all round goals.

Looking forward to you starting a log. Don't be scared to ask for advice.

Cheers Chris
Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Black. on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:03 am

Welcome!
Good luck with your goals!

Here are some good threads about improving flexibility:
http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85373
http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89245
Black.
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:36 pm

Welcome Blair, you are one of the newbies to a brand new site. That means you will be one of the originals!
Start a workout log (posting your goals) and you will receive help !
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:48 pm

Hey Blair, welcome to the forum! You heard it, go create that workout log! 8) :P
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:53 pm

Hello and welcome!
I can full-heartedly recommend avocados, almonds and lean dairy products if they are convenient for you - such as: cottage cheese, quark, greek yoghurt or if you don't mind a bit of extra fat: ricotta, mozzarella, feta and whole milk.

Even if it's an old dusty method: Write it down, what, how much you ate and how you felt afterwards. There are websites and apps for that and always pen and paper of course. even if it sounds a little pedantic, it works.
I know too good myself how you can misconceive the amount of your intake.

Add a bit of tubers, beets, leafy greens, broccoli, cauliflower, fruit, lean meat, fish, eggs, a few good grains (quinoa, millet), seeds (flax), a bit of legumes, if you can stomach them (beans, lentils, peanuts), and you're golden.

I know legumes are a controversial topic, but a few here and there, well rinsed in advance can't hurt imho.

Last edited by Avocadoshake on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:06 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : i always spell dairy wrong)
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:03 pm

Blair, listening to Avo on nutrition is a great idea.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:07 pm

Dave.cyco wrote:Blair, listening to Avo on nutrition is a great idea.
Thank's dave, now I'm blushing. :oops:
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:12 pm

Oh, and actually I usually drink a huge jug of tea before going to bed (I don't have any problems with that) and when I have get up to relief myself in the middle of the night, I step by the fridge and usually eat about 200 g of cottage cheese (1-2 cups).
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by barchibald on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:14 pm

I fully intend to listen to all of you - since I'm the newbie. Thanks for the advice.

I've not quite worked out my plan yet - To be honest I woke up two days ago feeling tired, which never seemed to happen when I was working out before, and thought "That's enough, lets get back too it!"

I'm thinking of some high intensity circuits to try and get that little bit of mass - I hear a lot about density training for mass, anyone got experience?

I'm going shopping tomorrow to stock up on as much foods as I can! I've never seen legumes in Britain but it's probably just under a different name, I also tend to drink low fat milk since my stomach doesn't like full cream.

I'm a huge tea fan as well!

Thanks guys!

barchibald
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:26 pm

Maybe this is a bit helpful.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:26 pm

Welcome Blair. I'm looking forward to following your training.
Legumes are a fancy way of saying Beans. Pintos, Kidneys, Limas, lintils, they're all good.
Man... a bowl of black beans with jalepenos and purple onion sounds good about now. :D
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:30 pm

Brahma Bill wrote:Welcome Blair. I'm looking forward to following your training.
Legumes are a fancy way of saying Beans. Pintos, Kidneys, Limas, lintils, they're all good.
Man... a bowl of black beans with jalepenos and purple onion sounds good about now. :D

:eat1:
Or make a lentil burger:

here the recipe
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:36 pm

Never had a lintil burger. We eat a lot of black bean and chipotle burgers. Very spicy and delicious. That does it! I'm going to turn off the computer and go get some supper :eat1:
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:47 pm

Escalating density training for mass will work wonders. I did 10:00 of pullups per day (with 1-2 days off per week) for about 6 weeks and I aimed to increase my reps every session. I was able to increase steadily. I kept the sets down to 3 resp at a time or less. My lats grew quite a lot in thickness over that time.

Another thing you could try is snatch grip deadlifts. They will pack mass onto your upper back in a hurry, especially the traps.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:44 am

Welcome Blair!
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by GreekPT on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:20 am

Hey Blair, it looks like there's not a whole lot more to add but just a mention of your caloric needs. If you're trying to add mass, say one kilogram in 2 weeks, you need to eat 7,700 calories MORE than the amount needed to sustain your current weight. That is 550 more calories per day, every day for those 2 weeks. So it's not always easy going in either direction and sadly, very sadly most of the weight gain or loss happens in the kitchen vs. the gym. The gym is still crucial of course but since I'm always trying to take weight and muscle off, I'm not the best resource for tips on gaining mass. Those guys are here though so fret not. Welcome and good luck. Yes, eat your avocados!

GreekPT
Wanted for Chococide
Wanted for Chococide

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top