PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Going From Lank to Tank

Page 4 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13 ... 22  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Going From Lank to Tank

Post by Rix on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:48 am

True :P Yeah i do my stationary bike after my workouts, always helps me.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:25 pm

Dave, I like what I read here. :read:

Attack the dips man, it's gonna make you massive. Not to mention improve your forward pressing a lot.

Goals looking good. :up:
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:59 am

Jman [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to stick with the handstand press training, and I'm glad he did, because after his promptings tonight, here is what I found myself doing:

HeSPU/Deadlift workout

These two exercises were alternated kind of as a lazyish superset.

HeSPU
From 5" box x 3 - easy (!?)
Removed an inch, easyish single
Removed another inch or so, semi hard single x 2
Removed all of it, and finally failed (also was getting fatigued too).

Deadlift (all conventional, double overhand)
255 x 2 easy singles
275 x 5
315 x 9* (MASSIVE PR + 6 reps!), x 3, x 5

* In the interest of full disclosure, my hands began slipping from sweat on rep 7, so I took < 0:20 to grab some chalk real quick (in a box right next to my left foot). Twenty seconds is the VERY LONGEST it could have taken, probably closer to ten seconds, but I wasn't counting the timer on my set, so conservative guesstimate...

Anyway, then I (1) deadlifted the 315 back onto the rails for a (2) dead stop Zercher squat from mid thigh and got it into the rack just above navel height (just below navel height with a braced core :P), from where I then (3) Anderson back squatted it back up to the top of the rack.

Well silly me thinking I could huff and puff my way through all that and then squat it, I tried for a 315 back squat after about 20 seconds rest and failed. So it's back on the rails at thigh height again. :facepalm: Well it can stay there, because I then did:

Deadlift Lockout Holds (thumbless grip)
x 0:05, x 0:04, x 0:05

with only about 20 seconds rest between the first two sets and another failed attempt at a HeSPU from the floor between the second and third rep.

Anyway, I feel like a big boy now that I am warming up on the DL with over 250, hahaha. :pbjt:

Thanks to Jman for insisting on HeSPUs, I like the daily singles idea, and since I can do it from way closer to the ground than I thought, something tells me my motivation will be through the roof on it this time.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:49 am

Good job Dave. I'm going to take a guess and say your DL is probably pretty close to 405lbs. Maybe 375+? I know when I first started DLing late last year, my initial max was 405lbs, and I hit 320lbs x 13. Those numbers are pretty close, but I think you're somewhere in the range of 375-395 right now if I had to guess.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:54 pm

Thanks Josh, this is exciting stuff!!! It seems like I got stronger in the deadlift without actually deadlifting for nearly three months, excluding those four or five snatch grip sessions in January. I didn't hit the conventional deadlift at all since Nov. 10th, but I did about half a dozen sessions of high intensity two hand swings in December, then the snatch grips in January... It seems to have paid off in exactly the way I hoped it would. That is highly gratifying. I really think that short 3 week cycles of intense activity followed by a week or so of rest and then a new cycle of intensity works well for me. Letting it all sink in...
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:10 pm

That's the key; finding what works best for you. I find that I don't need to work my deadlift for it to go up. If my squats go up, typically, so does my DL. Now, once I get to the 500-600lb range, I'm sure I'll need to spend more time working on it...but that's a long way away and I'm not too worried about it at the moment.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:14 pm

But that's the great thing isn't it?! The realization that you WILL get there! I've never been this excited about my strength training before. I've never really had that tangible sense that "Yes I can work up to lifting 500 pounds and more", but now I do!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:04 pm

Good to see your sticking with the HeSPU's Dave.

You'll be cranking out full HeSPU's for reps very soon!
Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:12 pm

Dave, not sure which I am more impressed by, the HeSPUs or the DLs! All of it is great stuff! Congrats on the PR, and I cannot wait to see the full HeSPU rep! Keep up the great work!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:40 am

I am loving watching how good your log has gotten. Keep busting out those PR's!
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:00 am

I should be able to for some time on the deadlift. When I have time I'll try some snatch grip deads with max weight and straps, super excited about this. I might even do it after my shot of webohol. Finally I have reached the stage in my training where I am stronger in the DL than the squat. Thank you all for your words of encouragement, they are appreciated. :)
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:08 am

Nice going Dave. DLs are massive.
good luck and keep progressing.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:00 am

Dave.cyco wrote:But that's the great thing isn't it?! The realization that you WILL get there! I've never been this excited about my strength training before. I've never really had that tangible sense that "Yes I can work up to lifting 500 pounds and more", but now I do!

You have to be more confident in your skills man! In my mind, the only limitations (besides physiologically impossible stuff like flying) I have are the ones that are self-imposed. For example, I know I have the ABILITY to do a round-off to double back flip, but I'm scared to death of it.

The same goes with strength training. None of us here are even CLOSE to our genetic potentials; and even then, there is always something to get better than. The notion of lifelong improvement is a very real one at that, for me at least.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Bissen on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:30 pm

Dave.cyco wrote:But that's the great thing isn't it?! The realization that you WILL get there! I've never been this excited about my strength training before. I've never really had that tangible sense that "Yes I can work up to lifting 500 pounds and more", but now I do!
Funny, I just had that exact same feeling, hitting those PRs yesterday! It rocks when you feel like you're actually getting somewhere!

And yeah, the physical potential thing - it's something I've thought a lot about since I read it in one of Ross' books. Man, that guy is like the foundation of what I know about training. He's super legit.

So is your work, Dave!
I've actually thought of asking; what brand is your barbell? I really wanna invest in a bar and some plates (some day), but don't really know if I should throw a bunch of money at Eleiko stuff. Looked at Pendlay too, and doesn't seem shabby. What are you using?
Bissen
Masterful
Masterful

http://www.moarninjaplz.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Dave.cyco's Squat Rack, Bar and Plates

Post by Dave on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:49 pm

Thanks so much guys. Josh, thank you too. Today I've taken the day off work, and I plan to go downstairs and get a video of a full HeSPU from the floor just for you (and Jman and the Chrises too of course).

Rikke, this is what I use:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Yeah, genetic potential is a crazy thing! Human beings are awesome by design!

Last edited by Dave.cyco on Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : They don't have my bar anymore, so I put a link in to what they currently carry and also added a link to my rack.)
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:57 pm

Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Squat rack warm up

Low Bar Squats
bar x 10, 5
95 x 3
185 x 3

Alternating Low Bar Squats/HeSPU singles
255 x 3/x 1 from 1"
300 x 3/x f from floor
315 x 1 + f/x 1 from 1"
330 x f/x 1 from floor! PR!!

Snatch Grip Deadlift with straps and chalk
330 x 1 Huge PR! + f/And another failed HeSPU from the floor
315 x 5 Another huge PR!

I realize I pulled with higher hips on the later reps, but still. Woohoo! And my last rep is hilarious! :toothy:

Low Bar Squat Drop Set (only rest is stripping off plates)
300 x 3
275 x 3
255 x 3
225 x 5
185 x 10
135 x 12 (Front Squats)

Superset EMOTM x 3
3 Suspension Dips, 5 Pullups, all +20# vest

Thick Bar Pullups, all +20# vest
3, 3, 2, 2

Handstand hold against wall, 10ish seconds.

Done.

Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:38 am

Dave!!

You nailed the HeSPU!!! That is awesome! :up: Great job!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Bissen on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:45 am

Cool; I don't think it's available here, though.
It sucks being used to (and learning everything with) Eleiko; that stuff is simply supreme! It's what they use at the gym I used to go to in Aarhus.

Well, I have a few years to go before investing in anything (if ever), so I may start an account just for that :lol:
Bissen
Masterful
Masterful

http://www.moarninjaplz.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:34 am

I remember me doing my first HeSPU not that long ago, you'll be doing sets of reps of them soon! :nod:
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:44 am

:clappy: that was a good HeSPU, im still working on holds and balancing them at the moment. Nice going tho Dave!!! and nice DL and squat, cant overlook them :P
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:21 pm

Thanks guys! :mrgreen:

Bissen wrote:Well, I have a few years to go before investing in anything (if ever), so I may start an account just for that :lol:

It never hurts to save your money. ;)

Dave.cyco wrote:Jman, I don't think I've ever shown you my conventional pull. I'd actually like to get your take some day...

Journeyman wrote:I saw your 275x whatnot video. [...] there's a reason your legs straighten before you actually lockout [...] But, your legs and hinge are your definite strong point... I'd actually recommend you go with a wide sumo.

Oh how could I forget that so soon?

I know better by now to just dismiss something you say, even if I don't like it. But I'll tell you right now that I tried sumo and really didn't like it. It felt awkward and it caused my feet to slip, which is really not a good thing to have happen under a heavy load (I was wearing my Vibrams though, not barefoot).

All that said, though, I would like to know why you recommend sumo pulling - do you think it will address some specific weakness I've demonstrated in my pulling? Will it develop my general purpose strength better than conventional and snatch grip pulls? Do you simply feel I could move bigger weights this way? Please be as specific and exhaustive as possible in your answer (as if that's a problem for you, haha).

Thanks.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:43 pm

I'll try to make this brief, haha.
You'll move bigger weights, it'll help you maximize your strength while eliminating your leverage weakness... you have long legs. Since you pull with an arched back, your legs tend to straighten before you lockout, which is robbing you of some power. Roundback is not the way to go for you, at least not right now; because your hips/legs are your strong point (squat almost = deadlift, etc.)
A wide sumo will get your legs out of the way so you can pull straight up by pressing down with leg and @ss power, then lockout with pure hip drive as soon as the bar passes your knees instead of either having to straighten your legs first, or go 'up and around' your long femurs.

Feet very wide--given your height your toes should probably be right up to the bar sleeves--and turned out as far as you can go. Basically, get your crotch as far forward to the bar as you can, arch your back and tuck your butt under so that you can press the weight up, not pull. Keep a hard arch but remember this is not a squat, don't stick your butt out.

Pull straight up and back. Shins should be roughly vertical at the bottom. Bar over shoelaces. Push out and down through your midfoot, creating tension by spreading your legs. When you tuck your hips down, think of wedging yourself under the bar.

As for strength development, it'll be better than conventional for your upper back just because of bigger weights. Better for your hip and leg power too, especially in the adductors and hams, and it'll carry over to your squat more. I also believe that sumo, like roundback, is highly functional in terms of picking something up. You aren't likely to use a normal conventional stance in everyday life, you'll either have to roundback the heck out of something, like a stone lift, or spread your legs and straddle the object like a sumo DL.
Snatch grip deads and sumo deads complement each other very well, too, and I know you're fond of SNGDL.
As for slippage, try wearing real shoes, haha. You have to actively spread your legs and push your feet out, slipping is not good.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:01 pm

In my opinion, the legs straightening before lockout is a coordination thing. I'm (obviously) a hip puller too, and when I pull conventional, my legs and hips extend simultaneously. I guess the bigger question is on what you're focusing on during the pull. I focus on bringing my hips to extension right from the get go, so that may be why. I have a ton of tension on my glutes/hamstrings at the start. Relatively high hips with an arch on the start as well.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:51 pm

Okay, good tips all around. I'll give wide stance sumo pulls a serious shot. Thanks to both of you.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MCem222 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:04 pm

Nice job all around. That deadlift set was awesome. After your third rep it looked like you were done. But then you pulled a 4th...and a grinding 5th

MCem222
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:45 am

Thanks Matt and yeah I really wasn't sure about that fifth rep. If I had it to do over I would have kept my mouth closed and my tongue pressed into the roof of my mouth.

Jman, now that I have a bit of time: You realize that you are TOTALLY speaking my language here right? I have never been so excited about the thought of sumo deadlifts before.

Better carryover to the squat? SOLD!

Better upper back development? SOLD!

Complements snatch grip deads? OVERSOLD!

It seems like the only things it doesn't do as well are low back and glutes, but I've got rack pulls for low back and as mentioned before, SNGDL for glutes, so I think this just might be the way to go.

I'm ordering two more 45 pound plates tomorrow and they should be here by Monday or Tuesday next week. Let's see how quickly I can get up to a 420# sumo DL.

:dance:
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:56 am

Sumo is far better for glutes than any conventional variant, including snatch grip. Less low back, definitely. More adductors, hips, glutes, more quads depending on how you do it. Less upper back than snatch grip (thus the complement) but more overload than conventional.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:04 am

QUADRUPLE SOLD! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:38 am

Okay just a quick one. Trying not to get too sore because I have a RUN (:shock: :mrgreen: :up: ) coming up on Saturday.

Sumo DL
135 x 5
275 x 2
315 x 2
330 x 2

Before and after each set there was a single HeSPU without the negative (except the first single I did the negative). I tried for doubles on a few of them, but never made it, even though I felt that the strength was there. But FIVE successful HeSPU singles!

Now I really need to log off and catch some Zs.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:41 am

Just an afterthought for you Jman: I felt these were much less taxing than conventional. You really called it man, my legs and hips are my strong point. The only thing is I have no choice but to really graze the shins on the way up! Oh well, no big deal. Also my feet were not all the way to the plates because, being barefoot, I didn't want to end up with squashies. :no:
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:44 am

Oh yeah, the glutes are buzzing good right now! And conventional makes my hip flexor (left side) very tight, but these just open my hips right up! This is just too much good for one exercise.

You know why I didn't like it before? Aside form the foot slippage, I thought you had to grip the bar narrowly, so I grabbed the smooth part. My back felt bunched up and it just felt weird. But your video above shows a conventional style grip despite the sumo stance, so I did that.

Oh and I double overhanded, of course.

Anyway, NOW I will go to bed (and happy at that). :sleep:
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:00 am

Nice work on the HeSPU Dave!

The reps will come quickly now.

Nothing like a bit of JMan advice for motivation.
Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:40 am

From Lank to Tank to GLUTE MAN!
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:58 pm

Haha, thanks guys. :mrgreen:

I've finally set up a decent training tool for forearm hypertrophy and strengthening my hands in something other than support grip, crush grip or pinch grip. I took a thick cardboard roll (the industrial kind that's harder to saw through than wood), drilled a hole in the center and attached a length of paracord to it. I put some weights on the end of the cord and slid the roll onto one end of my barbell, and now it makes a perfect thick grip wrist roller. And when I say thick grip, I mean 4" diameter.

I tried it with 27.5 pounds, but it was a little tricky; the roll kept slipping in my hand. So I put duct tape around the whole thing and all of a sudden 27.5# felt way too light. I bumped it up to 55# and rolling it all the way up and controlling it back down was very manageable. Next time I'll try for more weight. The extreme thickness was very noticeable on my left wrist, so I have identified a weak link that needs to be shored up. Excellent! :up:

I think this is an exercise that would benefit from going as heavy as possible with as much volume as possible. I'll probably do this after deadlifts and deadlift variations.

I haven't put in a full training session in a bit so a little later tonight I'll muster up some energy and get in some work.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:28 pm

A martial arts exercise for wrist strength-

Get a long stick similar to a spear in length - I think a broom handle would be too light for you Dave.
Hold it at arms length from the very end. Make lots of little circles both ways. Make lots of up/downs and side/sides. I promise it will be worth the price of the stick. (I cut a small straight tree and used it).
Really works the stabilizers, tendons and ligaments.
Now that I've remembered it, I have to do it again!
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:51 pm

itlives wrote:A martial arts exercise for wrist strength-

Get a long stick similar to a spear in length - I think a broom handle would be too light for you Dave.
Hold it at arms length from the very end. Make lots of little circles both ways. Make lots of up/downs and side/sides. I promise it will be worth the price of the stick. (I cut a small straight tree and used it).
Really works the stabilizers, tendons and ligaments.
Now that I've remembered it, I have to do it again!

Excellent call Mike! These are great stuff for building forearm strength.
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:58 pm

I do this with my sledgehammer from time to time. It's a lot shorter than a spear but the heavy hammer head makes up for that. I can only hold it partway down the handle mind you.

Also, it's a different kind of strength that's needed for my left wrist. They're both fine in crush grip strength, as is developed by my sledgehammer work and would be developed by your excellent suggestion. It's open hand wrist strength that I seem to be lacking on the left, and the thickness of my new wrist roller provides a stimulus that I can tell will transfer very well to open hand strength.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:17 am

Great session!

50 impatient pullups
Done as 13, 4, 4, 4, 4, 1, 5, 4, 1, 5, 5

Obviously I didn't wait long enough between sets. TMK, my pullup endurance is gone too. Better keep on it, the two of us!

HeSPUs
1, 1, 1, 1, 1 + f, f

Tried for a double on my last planned set, but failed the second rep. Tried a 6th set just for the heck of it, but it didn't fly. These were done with about 2:30 rest each.

Suspension Dips
6 + f

The failed rep tweaked a little something in my shoulder, because I allowed myself to go a little too far below parallel. A little below parallel is fine for me, but too low on a set to failure always ends up giving me the tweaks. So on the superset that followed after speed deads, my dips were to parallel or a teeny bit lower.

Speed Deadlifts
135 x 5
205 x 3
225 x 3
245 x 3
265 x 3
280 x 5

These were all pretty easy. I made sure to lock out the knees and hips simultaneously. I also made sure to keep the weight to within around 70% of what I believe my true (untested) 1RM is.

Finisher - Superset x 8 rounds, no rest between rounds

Suspension Dips
8, 7, 5+1, 3+2, 3+1, 3, 2, 1

Speed Deadlifts @ 265
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

I tell you this was a huffer and a puffer.

Stretch and done. My quads and hip flexors have been stiff and tight ever since my recent heavy deadlifting and squats, so I gave them some extra attention tonight. I feel pretty good right now.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMasterKey on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:23 am

On the plus side, I think the pullups will come back fast.

That's what I'm telling myself anyway.
TheMasterKey
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:27 am

Wait till you see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] then. :twisted:
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:55 am

Real good work on those deads, Dave.
Having just hit 240 lb. as a 1RM, that looks amazing to me!

I may unofficially - on the side lines- join y'alls quest for 20 dead hang pulls. I did a sloppy set last year, maybe I can clean it up.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:01 pm

Thanks Mike.

My suggestion for your pullups Mike: Do periodic GTG sets throughout the day. Stick to 80% of your current max (no more no less, give or take a rep or two at the very most), and do them with the strictest form you possibly can.

Speaking of which, I'm headed downstairs to do just that before I eat my breakfast and head to work. I'll have to try and find somewhere at work to get sets in; it shouldn't be problem though. We'll see.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:35 pm

NG Pullups, dead hang, super strict
11, 11

Done with ~ 10:00 rest (while I was a cookin' in the kitchin :chef: )

I'll try to get two more sets in before work.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:39 pm

Your pull-up endurance should come back soon. Especially since you seem to be incorporating different grips!
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:14 pm

Hope so.

Another set of NG Pullups x 11, and then some face pulls and scapular retractions on the suspension trainer. Can't neglect external rotation!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:40 pm

Stick the door frame pull up bar up while your home, and every time you go past it, do a few. We do that in my house on the kitchen door, so you can burn some calories before you eat some. :P
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:45 pm

My 45s arrived. I will test my 1RM deadlift. I will assume that 405 is my 1RM and do the following with chalk and no straps, taking as much rest as is needed, up to 6 minutes tops:

5 x 30%
5 x 40%
3 x 50%
3 x 60%
2 x 70%
2 x 80%
1 x 90%
1 x 95%
1 x 100%

I will add 5 pounds per attempt after 405, up to a possible total of no more than 420 (the total I own in Olympic plates). Will report in once it's done. I'm excited and a little nervous.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:48 pm

Rixstar wrote:Stick the door frame pull up bar up while your home, and every time you go past it, do a few. We do that in my house on the kitchen door, so you can burn some calories before you eat some. :P

I've been doing a few sets of 11 here and there, including thick grip pronated pulls. Volume is my friend, though, so I'll need to get some 10:00 blocks in as well to really boost my progress, and added weight should play a roll in that. Door frame pullup bar, though, ain't got one. :no: Also, I am the last person in the world who wants to burn calories. I already burn too many for the small amount I eat.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:49 pm

Deadlift Session
125 x 5
165 x 5
205 x 3
245 x 3
285 x 2
325 x 2
365 x 1 - PR + 35#
385 x f, f
370 x f

Not as strong yet as I had expected (hoped), although I'm still feeling a bit beat up from my last session, so fresh I'd probably be good for a bit more. My 365 rep saw my knees extend before my hips, so lighter technique work is definitely called for.

Anyway, +75# is probably a pretty big PR to ask for in a single impromptu session, so I'm definitely not crying about a +35# PR. :mrgreen: 40 more pounds to go until my 2013 deadlift goal is achieved!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:31 pm

Wow.
I remember Ross posted a video DL'n 405lb. in response to someone questioning his strength.
I thought WOW! I still think that.
Your strength is definitely "up there"!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13 ... 22  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top