PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Continental

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Continental

Post by Dave on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:34 am

Last edited by Dave.cyco on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Continental

Post by Dave on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:35 am

I have always wondered what the point is, aside from using mixed grip for the first pull. Jman (or anyone else), what are your thoughts about this lift?
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:44 am

It's called a 'continental to the shoulders', technically. The germans and russian strongmen were generally heavier and bulkier (and fatter) than the french and english lifters (who were leaner and did the whole BB thing--sandow, maxick, aston, etc. as opposed to grafl, steinbach, swoboda...) in the 1890s-1920s.
So anyway, the 'clean' to the shoulders was just that, a power clean. The 'continental' to the shoulders was up to the belly or belt, then up again to the shoulders. Thus, technically, there's no such thing as a 'continental clean', it's one or the other--'clean' i.e. no touch, or 'continental'. Of course, it's harder to avoid touching your belly if you're a really fat and somewhat inflexible guy, so the two-movement lift is called a continental because of those central/eastern europeans.
/history lesson :mrgreen:

It has its value if you're cleaning an axle. Even if you have big hands and a tremendously strong grip you'll be limited in terms of a power/squat clean by your grip strength especially in the transition from first to second pull. So, mixed grip to the belly and then switching to DO, up to the shoulders and then overhead is a good way to do it.
If you do it with a normal bar and really practice, you can definitely get more to your shoulders than with a normal power clean. Maybe more than a squat clean too unless your squat clean is really really polished.
A wide belt is a must for back support (big back lean) and to rest the bar on if you don't have the big belly for it.

Goerner used to train continentals specifically; I'll see if I can dig up a copy of a routine where he included them. I think he'd do them to get heavy weights up for FS without squat stands.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:47 am

Awesome, thanks for the info! And the correction too, I've changed the thread title.

Journeyman wrote:Goerner used to train continentals specifically; I'll see if I can dig up a copy of a routine where he included them. I think he'd do them to get heavy weights up for FS without squat stands.

Ah the good ol' days.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:12 am

Yep. If his records are to be believed, and he always did his front squats in that manner, he continentalled something like 470. Which is really d@mn good.

Goerner's training routine:
Monday –

1.) Two Hands Snatch: After loosening up with calisthenics he would work up in 8 or 10 sets of between 1 and 3 reps from around 125 to 300 lbs. on a good day.

2.) Two Hands Clean & Jerk: Beginning with 220 lbs. he would work up slowly to near his limit, which was almost 400 lbs. It should be noted that he used a very shallow split style on both the snatch and the clean & jerk, barely dipping under the weight.

3.) Two Hands Continental to the Shoulders: When he felt really well, he would put more weight on the bar after his heaviest clean & jerks and do several single continental lifts. He did them by taking the weight from the floor to his belt, then boosting it from there up to his shoulders. His best was around 450 lbs.

4.) Two Hands Curl: Goerner usually did 4 or 5 sets of this, working up to a maximum super-strict rep or two with 220 lbs.

5.) If the weather permitted, he usually ended his sessions with either some slow running or some swimming.

Tuesday –

1.) Curl & Press with Kettlebells: Approximately 10 sets, going from 55 lbs. to 110 lbs. in 5½ lb. jumps (2½ kilo) jumps. These were done very strictly – usually only 1 or 2 reps with each arm, working up quickly to the 110 lb. bells.

2.) Clean & Military Press: Approximately 8 sets of 3 to 5 reps, going from 198 to 264 in 22 lb. jumps, doing 2 sets with each weight.

3.) One Hand Swing with Kettlebells: Approximately 8 sets (4 with each arm) beginning with 110 and sometimes going as high as 254 (using two kettlebells grasped in one hand).

4.) Deadlift: Usually 6 to 8 sets, never exceeding 3 reps. He usually began with 440 lbs. (200 kilos) and worked up to almost 800 lbs. Often he would do his lighter sets without a hook, or with only three fingers on each hand, or two, or only one.

Wednesday

Rest

Thursday

1.) Curl & Press with Kettlebells: Same as Tuesday.

2.) One Hand Snatch: Usually, he would work up slowly in this lift, going from 110 to 220 with each hand.

3.) One Hand Clean & Jerk: As in the snatch, he would do quite a few sets, always using low reps (usually just one), working up to a best of 265.

4.) One Hand Deadlift: Alternating hands, Goerner would work up gradually in poundage from around 220 to over 700 lbs. on his good days, doing 10 to 12 sets.

5.) Squats: During this period, he usually squatted once each week, never more, and he would begin with around 220 and work up to approximately 600. He never really concentrated on this lift. Again, he favored low reps, 3 to 5.

Friday

1.) Clean & Press: Same as Tuesday.

2.) One Hand Swing: Same as Tuesday.

3.) Muscle-Outs with Kettlebells: He usually did these with “light” (up to 65 lbs. in each hand) weights and higher repetitions as a shoulder developer.

4.) Grip Work: Often, Goerner would practice lifting heavy barbells and dumbells with one, two or three fingers.

Saturday

1.) Curl & Press with Kettlebells: Same as Tuesday.

2.) Two Hands Snatch: Same as Monday.

3.) Two Hands Clean & Jerk: Same as Monday.

4.) Front Squat: From time to time he did these, going up to a best of over 500 lbs.

5.) Two Hands Curl: Same as Monday.

Sunday

Rest.

Apart from the fact that there are squats in this routine it pretty much fits everything else I've read about him.

In short:
M-snatch, C&J, continental, strict curl.
T-curl and press, clean and press, swing, deadlift
W-off
R-curl and press, one hand snatch, one hand C&J, one hand DL, squat.
F-clean and press, swing, extra grip work
S-curl and press, snatch, C&J, FS, curl.
S-off

Thus, overheads five days a week and strict presses on four of them. Heavy pulls off the floor 3 times (if you don't count cleans, because he only went heavy enough for C&J). Squats twice if you believe this routine, though he really didn't squat much at least early on. Work up to a top set and if you feel good, try to match your current PR. If you feel really good, go for a new PR; and maybe take it easy on the other lifts that day.
...Yeah, super rugged routine. I wonder if you could do something similar with more rest days or something. Hmm, let's see what I can come up with off the top of my head....

Day 1: snatch, C&J, front squat, curl.
Day 2: clean and press, heavy swings (or squat cleans), deadlift
Day 3: one arm snatch, one arm clean/curl and press, one arm C&J, one arm DL.

Work up to a top set using either singles, doubles, or triples (rotate when stalled). Do a lot of warmup sets without too much rest, only the last set should be really hard though. Take as many days off as needed in between.
Anyone wanna try? :popcorn:
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:23 am

Best continental-er (and the strongest presser) around today:

That is 459lb on a 2+ inch smooth bar.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:29 am

That's unreal - Savickas' lift I mean. The guy has hands like a terminator.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:33 am

They had a continental (no press) event this last year.
Savickas actually lost this one, I think... he's been training specifically for the WSM (which he won) and the two comps are very different. Plus, some of the other competitors are also beastly beastly strong, and they tend to strategize better.

Savickas hitting 8 reps with ~360 (366?), the original weight of the apollon's axle, in 2 minutes back in 2006.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:28 am

Wholly kow... and YIKES at 2:40! :shocked: Anyway, I didn't watch any more than that, I just finished training, and now to post and get some sleep.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:20 pm

One more from the 06 competition:

Start at 4.00 and watch ahhhnold's reaction.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:20 am

http://ditillo2.blogspot.com/2009/12/two-hands-continental-peary-rader.html
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:50 am

For some detailed infos or nice videos on Continental and in general other lifting and strongman stuff you guys should check out liftbigeatbig.com !
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:57 am

They're pretty 'meh' as far as info goes, actually, imo. Clear and straightforwards, but nothing special.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:39 am

That's right, but if you watched their 'history'...how they started, how the page evolved, i'm a huge fan of them. Basically because I like the mindset they're trying to spread! Oh and don't forget that thy have marshall white...watch some vids of him, he has some great strenght feats!
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top