PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Fitness Company Names,Any Ideas ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fitness Company Names,Any Ideas ?

Post by trainingforlife on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:37 pm

I need some help I train 18-21 people any where from 3-5 days a week depending on the group. I have made some general wavers saying something to the effect that I am not liable for any injury and so on and so on. What I need help with is a name that well help me describe the training I do. We do a "CrossFit" style workout AKA Met-Con's or Metabolic Conditioning. It is again CrossFit's trade mark to use the name CrossFit in any style or advertise that you are training CrossFit without buying the rights to do so,which is about 2-3000 a year.I have my Cert from ISSA and I have attended the CrossFit Lvl. One and the CrossFit Strongman Cert. I am how ever NOT a CrossFit trainer I did not take the test to be a CF trainer. I attended the Cert's to learn and be a better personal trainer. I know some people do not like CF that is why I did not label myself as a CF trainer. Anyways, there is another gym here that I use to work for call Extreme Wellness. Both trainers there are CF lvl.1,Mobility, Gymnastic & Olympic lifting Certified they are also EMT,FireFighters and one is a Chiropractor. Any ideas would be great. I also hope to get a DBA (Doing Business As) sometime down the road.

trainingforlife
Masterful
Masterful

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoK7PpW9-MZvpiFtiuYVtLg

Back to top Go down

A New Name

Post by 98poundweakling on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:49 pm

Finding a name is an challenging exercise in and of itself. Tell us more! How would you describe the training you do without using any names or labels (i.e. Met-Con, Metabolic Conditioning, CrossFit, etc.)? If you can tell us what you do, you might be able to create a new name that fits your product/offering. There are so many different "systems" out there now. Do you want your name to make reference to one of them? It might be in your interest to do so, but also might not, given the legal issues you mentioned. And finally, what is the purpose of having a name? To attract customers? To have a title for legal reasons or a name to put on the sign on the door?

I am interested to see what you come up with. Keep us posted!
98poundweakling
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Re: Fitness Company Names,Any Ideas ?

Post by trainingforlife on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:43 pm

98-We do Metcons that is not a CF thing its just a style of training like HiiT. The name is for legal reason and also in this town word of mouth is huge,so I need a "name" or something besides CF.

trainingforlife
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:13 am

http://www.ideafit.com/fitness-library/creating-a-name-and-logo
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:34 am

How about Training for Life?
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Ab1 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:19 am

How about using the net result of what your clients want as a base for the name.

Using words like: muscle, sweat, power, fitness and so on..

Another idea: are you a club, gym, lab, nation, foundation, group.....?

Positive words with no doubt about what it is all about.
Ab1
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:54 am

Ab, that's some really good input there. Sparks my imagination:

Name: POWER NATION!

Motto: Training for life.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by trainingforlife on Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:49 am

WOW!! Great Ideas I like the Training For Life Motto

Maybe this will help a MetCon is an intense circuit-style workout that is one of the most popular training methods used in the fitness industry today. I utilizes a combination of strength training exercises and anaerobic conditioning drills. Workouts may be timed with circuits consisting of numerous exercises performed in multiple rounds, with little rest periods.

trainingforlife
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:55 am

Simply great ideas right here in a matter of a few posts!

You could come up with 4 main tenants of you training and change it to
Training4Life. Then you wouldn't have any spaces if you wanted to use it as a name instead of a slogan.
It could go both ways-
-----Traning4Life------
--Power to Live Life--

itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:39 pm

I don't see why piggybacking off of Crossfit is a bad idea. Getting the CF Certification and opening up a box is a great idea, actually. It doesn't mean you have to follow all of their sometimes very misguided WODs and such.

Dave Claiborne, a S&C coach I've networked with out of Houston, got CF certified and named his box Crossfit Superhuman - business is booming for him. However, he doesn't follow ANY normal Crossfit training methodologies; he trains them more like athletes. I have the exact split he uses somewhere at the house and I can dig it up sometime if you want.

Anyway, all that was to say, I really don't think operating your own CF box is a bad idea.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:19 am

You know Josh, I have sometimes thought the same thing... And then I remember how much I hate so many parts of the crossfit culture... But still, man needs to eat...
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:28 am

http://theboxbuilders.com.au/start-a-crossfit-box/
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:30 am

Not all of CF is bad. The camaraderie it builds is outstanding in my opinion, and it's a solid competitive outlet for former athlete/weekend warrior types. The training methodologies is where things get a little sketch at times.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:32 pm

True.

I emailed them just to ask about it. I asked about Canada, ZaZen, but you could send a similar email mentioning your location and get a similar reply I think.

In respose to my email they wrote:The first step towards becoming a CrossFit affiliate in Canada is to register and attend the CrossFit Level 1 Course. Please look in the right-hand column on www.crossfit.com to find our current course offerings. As of 1 April 2010, we also require that applicants for CrossFit affiliation have taken and passed the Level 1 test administered at the Level 1 Course.

Once you have completed the CrossFit Level 1 Course and passed the Course Test, you are eligible to apply for affiliation with CrossFit.

Our Affiliate Program is explained in detail here. At the bottom, you will also see our application form.

While we do not require international affiliates to carry insurance, we do strongly recommend it.

If you plan on offering "CrossFit Kids" classes, you must first register with CrossFit Kids. Please contact Debbie Rakos at debbie@crossfitkids.com for additional information.

The FAQ's regarding Affiliation can be found here: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#Affiliates0

Here is a link to Issue 35 of the CrossFit Journal (http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/cfjissue35_s8Iu.pdf), which has some great tips on what it means to be a successful CrossFit affiliate.

Also, Coach Glassman's open letter to trainers about Virtuosity in the Fundamentals (http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/Virtuosity.pdf) speaks nicely about how and why we train the way we do.

One of the best ways to find out if you would like to become an affiliate, is to visit as many CrossFit affiliate boxes that you can and talk with the people of those boxes. They can give you a good idea of what it takes to run one.

It's important to know that offering or advertising CrossFit training before affiliating may delay or nullify your affiliation approval. To become a CrossFit affiliate, and use the CrossFit name in your marketing and advertising, you must first apply and be accepted for affiliation, and then complete all the steps in the affiliation process.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Leslie Nelson
CrossFit Affiliate Team
(818) 486-3726

**Please copy affiliatesupport@crossfit.com in order to receive a faster response time**
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:41 pm

Josh T. wrote:Not all of CF is bad. The camaraderie it builds is outstanding in my opinion, and it's a solid competitive outlet for former athlete/weekend warrior types. The training methodologies is where things get a little sketch at times.
The camaraderie tends towards elitism in many places... and yes, the 'methodologies' or lack thereof are majorly sketchy at best.
I've known of a few good affiliates though, just from friends' experiences. More good ones open up all the time, especially because 'the mainpage' wants to keep raking it in and sell the name, and just can't keep tabs on all the little small-business gyms opening up.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:43 pm

You can't throw the baby out with the bathwater, though. There are 3 CF gyms in the Houston area who do things right and are a very humble bunch from what I've seen and from my experiences talking with the coaches. There may be a lot of bad ones out there, but there are some darn good ones too.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:48 pm

It's the elitism Jman mentions that I can't stand, but I do see both points and I don't paint everyone with the same brush.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by trainingforlife on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:38 pm

I do not want to be a "box" not that it is bad. I just did not want to be called a "CF Trainer" I just wanted to be more of an open source and be called a Personal Trainer. Now on my list of certs or work shops people will see that I have attended the lvl.1 and strongman cert. IMO that way I have more of an open cliental rather then just a CF base cliental. It also shows I can do more then just CF but I am not limited to just CF training.

trainingforlife
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Madman on Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:09 pm

trainingforlife wrote:I do not want to be a "box" not that it is bad. I just did not want to be called a "CF Trainer" I just wanted to be more of an open source and be called a Personal Trainer. Now on my list of certs or work shops people will see that I have attended the lvl.1 and strongman cert. IMO that way I have more of an open cliental rather then just a CF base cliental. It also shows I can do more then just CF but I am not limited to just CF training.

That's a hard one.
Maybe find a way to work some familiar location into the title.

Other than that:
StrongQuest
StonecutterFitnessClub.
Total Body Burn Fitness (you'd either get lots of women, or arsonists)
Full body Fitness
Centurion Fitness
Unity Fitness
FitFools
RediculuStrength
MuscleCrew
Castle Rock Conditioning
Conditioned For Life
Fire Fit
Hella Fit
Commander Conditioning's House of Madness
Physicality Incorporated
Conditioning United

I may have stolen some names here, but IMO you should use your real name as part of the title, I think it would add a level of individuality to your it. As all of the names above sound like websites, commercial gyms and those ungodly workout dvd's that target the kind of people that try to lose weight with tricep extensions.

Madman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:28 pm

Madman wrote:Total Body Burn Fitness (you'd either get lots of women, or arsonists)

:laugh2: :up:

RediculuStrength

Hmmm that just looks wrong to me... How about RidiculouStrength?

Commander Conditioning's House of Madness

Too long, in my opinion. The Commander's name should be one or two syllables on. Commander Crazy? Commander Comrade? I don't know... :shrug:

And does it have to be alliteration? Commander Zazen. :nod:

Actually let's cut down the syllables over all. Seargent Zazen's Strength Shack? Or we could hang on to and even supe up the alliteration:

Zeargent Zazen's Ztrength Zhack. ;)

Physicality Incorporated

This is kind of cool, pretty original.

Conditioning United

I think Conditioning should go at the end; "United Conditioning"
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Madman on Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:12 pm

We really need to do something about the fat arsonists in this country, burnin' houses don't burn calories,yo. Peace out.
(imagine that line coming from Joel Kinnaman)

"Zeargent Zazen's Ztrength Zhack"
I zlike it.

maybe ZenFit.
Madman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:32 pm

Meta fit
Alpha fitness
Fit cross haha
Vital vigor

Did reebok first invent cross fit? Or they just might of been the sponsors in the uk for it.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Names

Post by 98poundweakling on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:53 am

Madman wrote:...maybe ZenFit.
How about ZazenFit ?
98poundweakling
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by trainingforlife on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:03 pm

I was going to go with balance body but found out there is a massage place called that.

trainingforlife
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:50 pm

ZazenFit! :up: :clappy:
Dave
Admin
Admin