PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Child Prodigies

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Child Prodigies

Post by MF! on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:47 pm

My goodness....

makes me think ... "what the heck have I been doing with my life??"

MF!
Adept
Adept

http://traceurversusbboy.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Child Prodigies

Post by Glinda on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:07 pm

I like to see children so focused and fearless. And that their parents have been able to support them well in their endeavors.

I was so NOT focused at that age. Discovering weight training during a grade 9 phys-ed orientation class helped.

Curious - when do people think parents are being supportive and when do people think its parents pushing?

Glinda
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by MF! on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:52 pm

Glinda wrote:Curious - when do people think parents are being supportive and when do people think its parents pushing?

when one of the following happens
- the child visibly is in discomfort or pain
- the child has made statements of refusal or disinterest in the given activity and the parent still pushes them into the activity
- the child is closed to other opportunities of activity that may be just as healthy/enriching (ONLY playing hockey, ONLY doing martial arts, etc)
- the parent is causing physical/emotional/spiritual harm to the child's well being

I think there's a way to give a healthy push for a child in a given activity, but I think that children in some cases may continue in an activity in order to please the parents. It's important to introduce them to various activities in a safe environment, and when the child has found an activity of choice they should be pushed further to excel in that activity with positive reinforcement and influence. Ultimately the child needs to develop a sense of discipline, but foremost should be happy and healthy in the activity they choose to do.
MF!
Adept
Adept

http://traceurversusbboy.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:55 pm

MF! wrote:I think there's a way to give a healthy push for a child in a given activity

Absolutely. I think that parents have a right to push their children, as long as they do it reasonably and with the children's best interest at heart. Sometimes physical or emotional pain occurs due to children's lack of experience with certain forms of intensity, competition or failure, all of which will eventually come up in diligent practice of a given activity. Heck, even we adults experience that as a result of willfully doing what we do! Consistent pain, on the other hand, is a bad sign.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:33 pm

Push your kid too hard, though, or try to live vicariously through them, or try to impose what you want when the child has no natural inclination and no personal desire for a certain activity... those are definitely bad things and the kid will probably rebel and end up doing something else when they grow up anyhow.
Lots of talent wasted when parents do that, especially in athletics and music, probably in lots of other fields too.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:41 pm

I know this isnt sport, but still, puts my bro and i to shame.

THAT GIRL BOXING HAS MAD SKILLS!!!!!! like to see a boy try and cheat on her when she is older.

I was pushed into swimming by my parents from the ages 4 - 16, and im greatfull for it, kept me out of trouble for those years and built me foundations for fitness. helped with my social skills and all that jazz. i ended up getting a few national titles in my age group and was in the 2012 olympic training program and now i have medals and achievements im proud of. All kids should be pushed into sport and stop this awful obesity issue the world has now days. Pushing kids into sports in my opinion has more benefits than issues. As long as they not pushed OTT.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:58 pm

I think it's a parents duty to make their kids do some kind of structured physical activity.
I always gave my kid a choice between three or four activities. Once the choice was made, it was understood that she would do it for a "season". You know, like fall soccer or softball. then she could change if she wanted.
Mine chose gymnastics.
Options should be there, but a commitment goes with the choice.

The boxing girl is amazing! I hope she likes it as she grows!
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:17 pm

itlives wrote:I think it's a parents duty to make their kids do some kind of structured physical activity.
Options should be there, but a commitment goes with the choice.

This x a million, imo.

Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: