PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

How should i train now??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How should i train now??

Post by Rix on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:44 am

Im not looking for a definitive, one answer = word of God answer, but i would like to hear all of your opinions. My dad is adamant that i should no longer use any type of weights, he says im to clumsy and will hurt myself and with a new job starting soon (which is all physical) he doesn't want me getting hurt or injured or being sore all the time. He says he likes me doing handstands and muscle ups as its more impressive in his opinion. He says im "allowed" to do weighted bodyweight stuff.

SO, in your own opinions, do you have any ideas what i should do. My goals are simple, be fit and functional, im not bothered about size, size comes with anything you do if you do it well. Im going to go back to my Muay Thai gym and maybe start looking to fight again. What would benefit this? A lot of plyometrics? advanced calisthenics? Weighted bodyweight stuff? Should i save up and shell out for a decent weight vest?

Im going to sell my weights and start putting money towards building this... (excuse the 5 year old style drawing, art is not my strong point)
Rix

Back to top Go down

Re: How should i train now??

Post by Iliander on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:52 am

You can't go wrong with advanced/weighted calisthenics. What's wrong with being sore all the time? Why would you be sore all the time? Why wouldn't calisthenics be able to make you sore all the time? Why wouldn't you be able to hurt yourself with handstands? :toothy:

You gonna sell all your weights?! Wow Rix if you wanna train with kettlebells you should train with kettlebells...

Anyways is that a pull-up bar, dip bars, and some other bar... ?

As long as you get strong as **** with whatever type of training you'll be fine.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:58 am

My dads logic not mine lol thats just what he said, im not arguing with him coz he is right to a degree, i do prefer calisthenics. i wont sell them tho, probly store them for when i move out, or use them every now and then.

Basically, its a pullup bar, and stabilizers so it doesnt swing, but im going to extend the stabilizers on one side to make a short dipping station. By short i mean not as long as the ones in some youtube vids are, like 3/4 foot long.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:30 pm

Yeah, as per my response in the other forum, what the @#$%, seriously. I too was 'forbidden' for a while but just couldn't be bothered to stick with those constraints and eventually convinced both my parents. Being 'allowed' to do a certain thing with your own body in a purely constructive sense is ridiculous... not to mention that that rule simply cannot be enforced.

ANYWAY, if you do choose to follow what he's telling you; take the money you would've spent on kb's and/or the money you get from selling your weights, and get one of those really heavy duty weighted vests, like 100lb or more. Then you can do all the strength training you want in terms of pullups, dips, pistols, etc.
Also, what about sandbags? They'll make you brutally strong, if you have yardspace you're all set; and it can't be argued that they'll be less likely to injure you (that can be your argument) plus they'll be excellent in terms of preparing you for any and all physical jobs.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:33 pm

Journeyman wrote:ANYWAY, if you do choose to follow what he's telling you; take the money you would've spent on kb's and/or the money you get from selling your weights, and get one of those really heavy duty weighted vests, like 100lb or more. Then you can do all the strength training you want in terms of pullups, dips, pistols, etc.
Also, what about sandbags? They'll make you brutally strong, if you have yardspace you're all set; and it can't be argued that they'll be less likely to injure you (that can be your argument) plus they'll be excellent in terms of preparing you for any and all physical jobs.

^^^this!
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:01 pm

^^^ that indeed. :clappy:
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:07 pm

Make your dad buy the weights at full cost or no deal. Seriously.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:34 pm

hahaha gonna riot my Dad, yeah im gonna get a sandbag, because i can get sand for free so that alright. I think i will get a heavy weight vest or keep some weights and get a dipping belt. My mum said to me they just want me safe cos i am a clutz so for now ill listen to them, wont be able to do much weights if i go back to Muay thai anyway
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:57 pm

Rixstar wrote: My dad is adamant that i should no longer use any type of weights, he says im to clumsy and will hurt myself

Im going to go back to my Muay Thai gym and maybe start looking to fight again.

:scratch: Hmmm :scratch:
I don't see any conflict in your thinking here at all . Maybe it's just me....
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:36 pm

hahaha :P yeah but amateur is all padded so i wont get hurt that bad.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:02 pm

What kind of work are you going to be doing?
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:17 am

Weighted pullups and dips, sandbag C&P and bear hug squats, hill sprints, and some ab work (maybe hanging leg raises or rollouts) = great program for a striker.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:48 am

Journeyman wrote:Weighted pullups and dips, sandbag C&P and bear hug squats, hill sprints, and some ab work (maybe hanging leg raises or rollouts) = great program for a striker.

There you go Rix! J-man has it all laid out stone cold truth for you. :twisted:
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Bissen on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:37 am

A good ol' Ross Enamait quote:

Resistance is resistance, whether it comes from iron or your own bodyweight

/thread :lol:
Bissen
Masterful
Masterful

http://www.moarninjaplz.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:22 am

Brahma Bill wrote:What kind of work are you going to be doing?

BT apprentice, so for 3 years im gonna dig up roads and lay massive fibre optic cable.

Journeyman wrote:Weighted pullups and dips, sandbag C&P and bear hug squats, hill sprints, and some ab work (maybe hanging leg raises or rollouts) = great program for a striker.

Exactly what im gonna do :) cheers, gonna get a heavy vest too.

Bissen wrote:A good ol' Ross Enamait quote:

Resistance is resistance, whether it comes from iron or your own bodyweight

/thread :lol:

this is true :D
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:05 am

This all sounds good Rix. Maybe I'm out of the loop, but BT apprentice = ?
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:25 am

British telecommunications. i will be a telecom engineer, apprentice.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:31 am

Rix, you'll be a fricking beast if you gonna do all that. Good luck bro.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:32 am

Indeed. And its a simple program. Do that and hone in on technique and speed within your Muay Thai practice and you'll be breaking some ribs soon.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:59 pm

Two other things you can do with a sandbag (not to add too much to what's a very simplistic program): getups with the bag on one shoulder, thus taking the shoulder girdle out of the equation as a limiting factor; also bear hug rolls. Lie down next to the bag, grab it with both hands and roll it up over top of you to the other side, then repeat.
Both of these will make your midsection very solid. You could do them instead of HLR/rollouts.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:48 pm

Rixstar wrote:

BT apprentice, so for 3 years im gonna dig up roads and lay massive fibre optic cable.

So lot of time with the rake and shovel or down in the hole slopping on the wire lube. As young as you are you'll adapt to the work in a couple of months. If you end up pulling a lot of cable you'll end up with a hell of a grip.
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:53 pm

Never heard of the Bear Hug roll Jman...good freakin' idea.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:38 pm

Thanks, it came to me when I was trying to get a sandbag into position for floor presses or glute bridges or something. I'm not the only one who's thought of it of course, I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one video of someone else doing them on youtube as well.
I think it'd be a great exercise for a grappler or a striker. Kinda like a superheavy, full body version of the 'russian twist'.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:12 am

Brahma Bill wrote:
Rixstar wrote:

So lot of time with the rake and shovel or down in the hole slopping on the wire lube. As young as you are you'll adapt to the work in a couple of months. If you end up pulling a lot of cable you'll end up with a hell of a grip.

Down in holes, climbing telephone polls and installing in peoples houses haha. should be fun.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:16 am

I think my dad calmed down from my mistake and he even said to me, "cant you exchange them for lighter ones" so this must mean i can keep my stuff hopefully haha. The courier service came and took the 32's away, the company offered me exchanges so if im allowed ill get the 24's like i should of done in the first place. So my future now involves kettlebells again, happy times. :)

Im definatly gonna invest in a sandbag J-man and give your ideas a try. Going back to my gym in a month or so, gotta get fit first and i will be going into dragon boating too, so a lot of kettlebell strength-endurance work for me, with all the stuff mentioned above!! thanks for all the input/ideas/support guys.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:15 am

That's great news! That means you'll get the 32 kg once you mastered the 24 kg! :D
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:49 am

haha yeah, this is why i didnt argue with my dad, he always calms down after a while and lets me do what i want, but hes still not happy haha.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:09 am

awesome news!
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:35 pm

Cool, good to hear!