PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Paleo diet

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Paleo diet

Post by Glinda on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:39 pm

So I've been curious about the Paleo diet for a while and picked up a "starter" book on it yesterday, mainly to peruse the recipes. I am on a detox diet which is cutting out gluten, soy and corn as possible irritants, and cuts out seafood and dairy because I'm allergic. So I figure the paleo stuff might be good for some meal ideas.

It's... interesting, this insistence that grains and legumes aren't "real foods" because both are plant products and in fact are present to some degree in hunter-gatherer populations, but simply on a much, much smaller scale than we presently use them. I should know, I worked in archaeology for over 10 years on sites from 8000 BCE to 1500 AD in Canada and I have read extensively about archaeology elsewhere in the world and I really like to read about what people were eating. Wheat, rice, chick peas and other seeds that we now produce and process in large scales were present in paleo diet in their seed or ground forms.

It kind of ignores that many hunter gatherer populations have also long practiced informal horticulture, even as they say "Nothing our hunting and gathering ancestors would not have eaten!"
And still seems to allow foods that can only be produced by long term cultivation and/or processing - like avocados (long cultivated in South & Central America), bananas, sweet potatoes, almonds, olive oil, wine, vanilla, to name a few items being included in the recipes.

It's interesting...

But I will say that some of the recipes look good.

Glinda
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Re: Paleo diet

Post by itlives on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:49 pm

Glinda, I've never followed any diet strictly. I have "sort of" done the paleo though. I always feel good on it and never bloated like grains and beans make me feel.

I was very interested in archeology as a kid but never got to do any field work. That would've been neat!
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:59 pm

The problem is that there cannot possibly be one 'paleo' diet just like there cannot be one 'modern' diet... it depends on where you were living, which climate zone, if you were more of a hunter or a gatherer (which again, depends on what's around and when).... paleo man on the steppe or in someplace like Alaska--Inuits--would basically be eating mostly an animal based diet, elsewhere it would be more plant based. So, yeah. Depends entirely on region, time period and of course we have limited research on some of those, as you undoubtedly know firsthand. (It's awesome that you did archeology, btw!)
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Glinda on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:38 pm

Exactly. Paleo cultures are diverse and human beings are exceptional in being able to locate potential food sources in just about every climate and have long processed marginal foodstuffs.

Man, I miss being in the field. But I disliked not having work in the winter. So now I do heritage planning and make sure that the archaeology gets done along with other stuff.

Glinda
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Bissen on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:32 am

What's been said above.

I WAS on the paleo/primal diet, but it didn't work for me for very long. The big amounts of protein upset my tummy, and the fat made me depressed (serotonin binds to the fat, have I read).

More than paleo, I recommend The Perfect Health Diet - as cheesy as it sounds, it's really good advice - although I don't consume that much fat at all. However, everything else about the fats, the carbs (glucose vs fructose etc.), the cooking and the general science behind it all is very, very good. They have a website which you can check out ;)

Anyways: natural, unprocessed, gluten free, fructose free etc. is the way I'm rollin' now.
Bissen
Masterful
Masterful

http://www.moarninjaplz.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:18 am

If I have to I will eat crickets and dandelions. Preferably together in a stew. Not grasshoppers though, the legs will stick in my throa-aargh-aahhem.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:32 am

Fresh, frozen, fish or fowl. In that order.. pretty simple.

You adjust the sugars. You wouldn't want an overload of fruit in the fresh column.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:30 pm

There are fats btw. That are digested like carbs. Can't remember, where I found that. Maybe I have it somewhere among my favourites - we'll see.
However I know, where this interesting article is located.
I'd recommend looking at it.
http://batty.us/2013/01/this-is-the-post-where-i-come-clean/#more-297
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Glinda on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:43 pm

That link was really interesting! I can't see myself trying out paleo anybody, especially as I am still figuring out what is best for me, but the detox diet has simplified a few things and my body has made it quite clear that typical cake recipes are no longer for me. (I was making a cake for someone. I tried batter and finished product. It put on 5lbs of bloat and did bad things to my body that are TMI for here.)

But a really eye opening book that I'm also reading right now is "Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human" which argues that the adaption of fire and the cooking of food (possibly as far back as Homo erectus ) is one of the things that transformed us on the evolutionary journey. The author lays out an interesting pile of evidence to support this idea. But I laughed out loud during a bit that described some of the food materials found in a fire dating back 740,000 years or so - barley! Take that paleo gurus!

Glinda
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Fat belly dog on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:21 am

Hi,

I have been eating mainly paleo for the last three years, I dropped 15kgs and feel really good eating that way, basically it's all fresh foods, salads, veggies, fruits, meat, fish, plenty of nuts and seeds. Limit processed foods, try and limit dairy to raw or full fat versions etc.

Recently I added back in rice and potatoes and even did a solid ten days of eating only boiled white rice and potatoes and lost another 7kgs. I felt great and have added these back to the menu on a regular basis. (note this wasn't or isn't meant to be a long term way of eating)

I still have the odd slice of artisan bread and cakes but really try and limit the crap and processed foods from the diet. Paleo help me relies heathy eating is easy, great to see the weight lose and reduced cravings for floury, sugary refined processed crap.

I forget the name of the archaeologist but he has found that a lot of the tribes in Africa ate a lot of starches in the forms of tubers.

Cheers

Fat belly dog
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top