PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Need some tips for something to take to school on breaks..

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Need some tips for something to take to school on breaks..

Post by Guitar_maniac on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:08 pm

I'm currently trying to gain weight and eat about every 3 hours. We have access to fridge at school, but i prefer not to, since stuff disappears from there. I'd need something that would give me energy and protein, i don't have theory classes and just building barracks at the hall at the moment so i lose some energy too throughout the day. Protein bars are pretty costly to eat everyday as a student. I really don't know what to take.. :D One of my new year resolution's is learning to FINALLY cook new things..
Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

http://www.facebook.com/esa.lackstrom

Back to top Go down

Re: Need some tips for something to take to school on breaks..

Post by squatty on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:45 pm

Take shelled/hulled hempseeds if they are available in Finland.
They are usually cheap, but very calorie dense (500 calories per 100 grams), digest easily, and rich in EFAs, and also high in protein (about as high as soy).
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:54 pm

sandwiches with egg and bacon
sandwiches with peanut butter
:nod:
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:25 pm

Raw Almonds, Dark chocolate chips and raisin all mixed together in a plastic bag.
Hard boiled eggs.

I eat a lot of wraps for lunches. Meat, cheese, spinach and tomatoes wrapped up in a low carb, high protein wrap. You only need one hand to eat them, convenient for driving or leaning across the hood of the truck when you get a minute.

Here's a link to some protein bar recipes if you're feeling ambitious. http://www.mooreminutes.com/2011/02/three-types-of-homemade-protein-bars.html
Phil/GreekPT has a couple of his own recipes for homemade protein bars too.
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar_maniac on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:09 pm

squatty wrote:Take shelled/hulled hempseeds if they are available in Finland.
They are usually cheap, but very calorie dense (500 calories per 100 grams), digest easily, and rich in EFAs, and also high in protein (about as high as soy).

At least internet shops offer them, can i just eat them straight out of the box? Or do they need to be prepared somehow? Googled them and some say u can, and some say can't..
Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

http://www.facebook.com/esa.lackstrom

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:43 pm

Small container of peanut/almond butter and an apple.
Nuts and seeds are good in reasonable quantities. Paired with a piece of fruit and you have fast and long lasting energy with good fats, protein and enzymes.
Tuna and fruit. I like tomatoes with tuna.

itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:25 pm

Guitar_maniac wrote:
squatty wrote:Take shelled/hulled hempseeds if they are available in Finland.

At least internet shops offer them, can i just eat them straight out of the box? Or do they need to be prepared somehow? Googled them and some say u can, and some say can't..
I used to eat up to 300g daily, raw, without any processing, and take note mine was WHOLE, not shelled/hulled, the only problem was it was tough to chew, gave me jaw DOMS. you won't have problem chewing the shelled/hulled ones, they are very easy to eat.
I can't find the shelled/hulled to buy anywhere near me, otherwise I would eat 400g daily and gain a good amount of muscle weight.
They taste very good, and also make your body more alkaline, that means your sweat will smell less, and less infections, also your dumping job will get a lot easier due to all that amount of fiber.
Oh and let me tell you, you would consider me weird for saying this, but after eating +200g daily, even your poop will not smell bad, it will even smell nice :mrgreen:
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:38 pm

Banana Slices with Peanut Butter on them...yummi :)
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:25 pm

Here's what I do at work now, and it works great for satisfying hunger, giving me energy and filling the protein quota: Rice, mackerel, carrots, borccoli, ginger root, turmeric. I just throw it all into a big pot with the water boiling, then I turn it down to around medium after 5 minutes or so for another 15 minutes. After that it is pretty much good to go. I put it in non leaking pyrex bowls (I bring three bowls of this to work), put each bowl into a plastic grocery bag (prevents them banging together also safeguards if the non-leak lids should somehow come loose - they haven't yet). I don't worry about using a fridge; they are still hot after being at work for several hours because I keep them all together in my lunch bag and the heat escapes slow.

No food poisoning or debilitating diseases yet! :P

P.S. I used to do this with sardines, but frankly I am sick of them. Mackerel taste much better, and if I use a 2:1 mackerel:sardine ratio, then I don't even notice the sardines and I still get their superfood benefits... like extra fishy farts.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:35 pm

Nuts and granola.

If you can stomach tuna, one tip from ken leistner that he used to help his son gain weight for highschool football: give him 8 tuna sandwiches when he went to school. By the time he came home they all had to be gone, without one piece thrown away or given away....
With this being the eventual result:

You could probably do the sandwich thing with peanut butter too, if you wanted. I'm thinking of doing something like that myself.
Also, bananas have a decent amount of calories for their bulk, if you just want to boost your caloric intake.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:39 pm

I have quit bananas for a number of reasons:

1) They attract fruit flies, and it's a pain in the ass to get rid of them, although I now have a solid way of doing so (see below for a video)

2) They have lots of sugar - I am very restrictive now about how much sugar I eat. I only eat honey in my oatmeal and sometimes have a mix of yogurt and peanut butter. Aside from those and hyper-occasional other times, I consume no sugar that I know of, with the exception of glucose one in a while if I have no time to eat but need quick energy.

3) They give me mucus.

About tuna: Just be mindful that this is a mercury laden fish. Sardines and mackerel mercury levels are negligible to virtually non-existent.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:41 pm

Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:46 pm

Dave.cyco wrote:

About tuna: Just be mindful that this is a mercury laden fish. Sardines and mackerel mercury levels are negligible to virtually non-existent.

Solid points Dave.
I don't really like sardines. Haven't really given mackerel a shot... I don't like canned tuna, either, actually, but was just putting it up as an option. Peanut butter is probably cheaper, so an '8 pbj/day' plan could work, possibly.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:46 pm

Not to mention it would be heaven! PB/J sammiches are like candy!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:48 pm

Quite a bit of sat/fat in 8 big pbj, but I suppose it wouldn't be the end of the world. If you slathered a bunch of pb on whole wheat bread or bagles you could probably get about 160g protein in 8 of those sammiches. That's a pretty good deal.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:50 pm

Nothing but pumpernickel or rye for this lad. Gotta stay away from that dastardly wheat.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:53 pm

I do like both of those, but despite the recent 'wheat is evil' trend in the fitness/nutrition industry, and both my girlfriend and her mother being wheat (gluten) intolerant, I fail to see the problem at least where I'm concerned.
Same goes for milk, eggs, and non-organic meat... mainly I just can't be bothered; I live at school and have limited options in some respects.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:54 pm

I understand where you're coming from, believe me I do! I just felt the need to put it out there.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:51 am

The only thing I can see about 8 PBJ a day is the ratio of omega 6 to 3 is too high. Maybe another kind of nut butter?
From Livestrong-

Omega-3

Omega-3 is the most important of the omega fats, because it is more difficult to obtain in the diet and is less common in foods, when compared to omega-6 and omega-9. These fatty acids are found in fish foods and some plants and nuts. The main benefit of omega-3 is its anti-inflammatory qualities in terms of injury and excessive blood clotting. The University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC) also recognizes omega-3 as being vital for proper brain function. If this fatty acid is being consumed by means of supplementation, it is not recommended to consume more than 3 g daily as there is a risk of excessive bleeding and increased sensitivity in bruising. Fish oil supplements of omega-3 are also known to cause bloating, belching and diarrhea in some cases.
Sponsored Links
Lower Your Blood Pressure Non Drug. No Side Effects. Natural. Proven to Work in 9 Clinical Trials RESPeRATE.com/Lower_BP_Naturally
Omega-6

Omega-6 is similar to omega-3 in that it is also considered an essential fatty acid and that the body is unable to produce it from other unsaturated fats. Omega-6, however, is much easier to obtain through the diet. In fact, many people get too much omega-6 because it is found in so many common products, such as the butters and oils used in many cooking and baking processes in both home- and factory-prepared foods. Side effects of too much omega-6 cause an inflammatory reaction in the body. Although this is a desired side effect in some cases in terms of desired blood clotting when needed, over consumption can be harmful. According to the UMMC, evening primrose oil as an omega-6 supplement has side effects of headaches, abdominal pain, nausea and loose stools.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/336486-side-effects-of-omega-3-6-9/#ixzz2Jwil5OGv
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:52 am

Dave.cyco wrote:Here's what I do at work now, and it works great for satisfying hunger, giving me energy and filling the protein quota: Rice, mackerel, carrots, borccoli, ginger root, turmeric. I just throw it all into a big pot with the water boiling, then I turn it down to around medium after 5 minutes or so for another 15 minutes. After that it is pretty much good to go. I put it in non leaking pyrex bowls (I bring three bowls of this to work), put each bowl into a plastic grocery bag (prevents them banging together also safeguards if the non-leak lids should somehow come loose - they haven't yet). I don't worry about using a fridge; they are still hot after being at work for several hours because I keep them all together in my lunch bag and the heat escapes slow.

No food poisoning or debilitating diseases yet! :P

P.S. I used to do this with sardines, but frankly I am sick of them. Mackerel taste much better, and if I use a 2:1 mackerel:sardine ratio, then I don't even notice the sardines and I still get their superfood benefits... like extra fishy farts.

You boil the mackerel with the rice and everything else? Interesting!

TMI about the fishy farts! :shocked:
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top