PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

New, and ready to get serious

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New, and ready to get serious

Post by montee88 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:51 pm

This was originally on BWC, but I received a private message that BWC has pretty much bit the dust, so here's my original introduction from BWC:
===========================

Well.. I registered for BWC just a little over 3 years ago with intentions of developing a workout plan and being serious about lifestyle choices, and becoming healthy.

I read through many posts, workout plans, and educated myself pretty well. Recently, I found out my Triglycerides are out of whack and my body is in bad bad shape.

Currently, 5'8" 280lbs (127kg) 42" waist.

I don't know where to start goal-wise, other than I would like to be between 200-215, and lose about 5-6" on my waist. My frame is quite large, I was a husky kid, so I don't know how small I can really get.

Why bodyweight workouts? Well, I don't enjoy going to a gym, they're expensive, and time and space is a premium. Plus, my previous exposure to bodyweight workouts seem to really help stamina, endurance, and overall strength. Several years ago, I tried Body For Life eating program, and workout plan, it worked quite well, but was not sustainable.

So.. that's about it. I look forward to educating myself and becoming healthier, not to mention I'd like to look sexier than the fat tub that I am now... especially for my wife....

montee88
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Re: New, and ready to get serious

Post by itlives on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:58 pm

Welcome montee, glad you've come around. Yes, BWE plus a well-balanced diet and rest will get you where you want to be.
I hope you come to love the working out scene. It's a lot harder to do if it's just a "have to".

Start a workout log andyou'll get lots of encouragement and help where you need/want it!
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:59 pm

welcome montee, hope all works out for you. As itlives said, all comes down to training, diet and rest.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:11 pm

Welcome montee. Yeah, start a workout log. You'll see noticeable improvement every week.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:23 pm

Montee, glad you could make it! Thanks for taking me up on the invitation!

Now let's get you started on a training log!
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:48 pm

Welcome!! I hope you reach your goals, get circuit training :P
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:16 am

Welcome!

I'd say get started by really buckling down on cleaning up your diet, doing some fast walking, working up to 3+ miles consecutively, lots of free squats... then start doing circuits of the basic stuff.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by montee88 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:20 pm

Thanks for the encouraging welcome everyone!!!

I am looking through the training logs, and what everyone is doing. So, my question here is a bit more focused. I am truly out of shape. Has anyone been where I am? I've lost a couple pounds because I have improved what I have been eating, and eating less crap, and better food.

I guess my difficulty is determining where to start. Do I start brisk walking 3x a week? I don't really know what my limit is, other than I probably can't do much of anything right now, but I want and need to start somewhere... There are so many options, so many workout plans, it is hard to create a structured beginning, truly I'm a couch potato workout... any ideas guys?

montee88
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:05 am

Journeyman wrote:Welcome!

I'd say get started by really buckling down on cleaning up your diet, doing some fast walking, working up to 3+ miles consecutively, lots of free squats... then start doing circuits of the basic stuff.

You could do no better than paying attention to this young man. I agree with what he said.
Fast walk- in other words, fast enough to be breathing hard(er) than normal. Do a half mile the first week and build from there. (This is your warm up -otherwise known in workout logs as "WU") You can walk every day. As a starting point, I would work out 3 x a week.

Here's a basic BWE circuit for you

5 BW squats
5 push ups -even if you have to do them with your hands up on a chair or rail
5 sit ups or some kind of core
5 Horizontal rows - if you have that capability. If you have a kitchen table with legs (not a pedestal) you can lay under it with legs out one end and head on the other. Reach up and grab the table, now pull yourself up. If there's a playground nearby, you can do them there.
Do those four exercises (5 reps each) one time. That is a circuit. See how many circuits you can do.
If there's no way to do the H.Rows, don't worry, just do the others.
Now, you are on your way!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:06 am

^ Exactly that. Daily walking and gradually work in the cals thrice weekly.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top