PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

BOOM! American Ninja Warrior 2013 is ON.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

BOOM! American Ninja Warrior 2013 is ON.

Post by Josh T. on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:34 pm

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/730047/american-ninja-warrior-tryouts-begin-calling-all-aspiring-ninjas-for-season-5/

Ok guys, I need ideas for making an awesome looking video. I got the basics covered: jumping over people, doing really high flips (I'm GOING to throw down a round-off double back next time I'm feeling good at the gym), but I want to put other stuff in there too.

So any creative ideas, whether it's a physical thing or verbal thing to make me sound more awesome - throw them at me. Seriously.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Re: BOOM! American Ninja Warrior 2013 is ON.

Post by Josh T. on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:35 pm

Another link, with some more specific requirements for submission:

https://go.mycastingnet.com/Apply/Show/AmericanNinjaWarrior
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:58 pm

You applying?
Could copy some of Damian Walters stuff. also the pull up bar thing they do, like jump it up to the next bit. Walking down stairs on your hands? clap pull ups, trick rock climbing, some parkour run ups on buildings, pistol back flip, have you watched the other auditions? you could day "you explosive like gun powder coz you a young gun" hahaha joking. could talk about your competitiveness and stuff

this one is quite funny
Spoiler:
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:16 pm

Haha the intro was awesome. Cool vid too apart from the majorly sh!tty one arm pushups. Did he get in?

So, you've definitely got flips and jumps in there. If you wanna use more small people from your gym some human weighted pullups/dips/pushups would look cool. Maybe snatch a heavy db with one arm, that always seems to impress people who aren't big on lifting... maybe a clean+deep front squat too, or throw the bar up and catch it in the zercher position. I know that NW isn't about lifting but that'll look cool and accentuate the whole speed/power/athleticism thing.

Walking on your hands is a must, as is the elbow lever>HS or tucked planche>HS, those are majorly impressive to people who don't have perspective on that sort of thing (and perhaps more impressive to those of us who do!)
Maybe sprints or something. Pistol jumps or just normal box jumps. Clap pushups, maybe with weight or onto an elevation? Jumping/diving through a hoop, backflipping off an elevated surface (this is easier isn't it? But again, to most people it looks more impressive). On a similar note, flipping on a limited surface--the top of a table, maybe--would look pretty cool.
On a bar--apart from a muscleup or two, or front/back lever type stuff, if you have a longer bar you could just go down it arm over arm doing pullups. Do a strict hanging leg raise then hang by your feet, that shouldn't take much doing to work up to if you can't do it already. And from there you could flip down onto the ground. Hip pullovers look cool too especially if you do one slow and strictly and then several really quickly.

Anyway, between your lifting strength, handbalancing, jumping, speed and that ginormous athletic base that you keep making us all jealous of, haha, I'm sure you'll have plenty to show on video. Just make sure it has a cool song and keep a cocky attitude without coming off as too much of a jerk, I'd say.
Oh, and definitely say something about white boys and jumping!
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:25 pm

Looks like there could be some tough competition, that guy knows what he's doing... :shock:
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:39 am

Journeyman wrote:Haha the intro was awesome. Cool vid too apart from the majorly sh!tty one arm pushups. Did he get in?

He did

J-man is right, i was gonna say you should defo say something about being white and jumping, always funny
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Erik on Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:20 am

Josh T. wrote:http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/730047/american-ninja-warrior-tryouts-begin-calling-all-aspiring-ninjas-for-season-5/

Ok guys, I need ideas for making an awesome looking video. I got the basics covered: jumping over people, doing really high flips (I'm GOING to throw down a round-off double back next time I'm feeling good at the gym), but I want to put other stuff in there too.

So any creative ideas, whether it's a physical thing or verbal thing to make me sound more awesome - throw them at me. Seriously.

Parkour or a reasonable facsimile. Rope climbing. If I'm recalling correctly, a lot of it is going to challenge the upper body and grip strength.

An attitude of being the best and not being a jerk about it. Excitement at the prospect of being a ninja warrior.

Erik
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Gasdiver on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:06 pm

Love the videos
We took my 8 year old daughter to the South Bank in London (220 miles from home) so as she could watch some decent stuff for real. She loved it, so did I and Mrs G.
Gasdiver
Novice
Novice

http://www.jannersmugs.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMasterKey on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:11 am

Josh T. wrote:http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/730047/american-ninja-warrior-tryouts-begin-calling-all-aspiring-ninjas-for-season-5/

This is cool stuff Josh, I wish you well. That said...

Not counting today/thursday, you've got 36 days left before the application end date.
Some questions to consider...

-How much time do you need to practice to get your skills up to their absolute highest caliber?

-How much time do you need to film all your material? If you need to work with a partner, are they reliable and when are they available?

-How much time do you need to edit/put together a bad-a$$ compilation?

-Are you putting music as a background? If so, do you know what song?

Questions that shouldn't need to be asked, but just in case...

Do you have a functioning high quality camcorder?
Do you have someone reliable who can film? Or are you going to do stationary camera setups?
Do you know how to edit film or do you have someone reliable who can edit film? Can you or someone reliable actually edit film in a way that looks good?

I would see if you can find past audition tapes of people who got picked to be on the show. Study them, see if you see any commonalities, did anything really make the clip stand out, etc.

You need to have a good steak, but a good sizzle doesn't hurt either.
TheMasterKey
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMasterKey on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:19 am

And to state the obvious, we wanna check it out!

Git'r Done!
TheMasterKey
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:49 pm

Thanks for the analysis TMK. I have taken a lot of that into account.

If I just buckle down and do it (coming this next week), I can get 2-3 new tricks down per tumbling session, on average. Plus, with my explosive ability, my tumbling will look infinitely better than a lot of what I saw from some of the footage of contestants last year. There were also a lot of VERY GOOD people too, but some people's tumbling was just plain crap, and they made it onto the show.

I'm lucky in that I have 2 roommates who are software, video-editing geniuses. So that won't be a problem. My video won't be the best in the world (recording from my phone), but I can record in 1080p so it'll be high quality as long as I have good lighting (which the gym does).

Definitely gonna go back and look through some submissions, probably sometime today and see if I can come up with any ideas.

So far, some obvious ones I'm going to include are: round-off double back, jumping over people, jumping over things, flipping over things, flipping over people (provided I practice enough), lots of Handstands, and some strength work. Also, I want to throw down some dunks for the video, so I'll be practicing that more.

Subsequently, my training volume will go way down (except for grip work and any related speed/agility stuff), and my tumbling,sprinting,jumping will all go way up.

Thanks again for the list of things to consider man!
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMasterKey on Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:36 pm

No prob, glad you found it helpful.
TheMasterKey
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top