PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Josh T.'s Compendium of Nutritional Information/ Supplementation Experimentation

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Josh T.'s Compendium of Nutritional Information/ Supplementation Experimentation

Post by Josh T. on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:19 pm

...Yeah. That's a long title.

Anyways, since I try new stuff out all the time, I figured I'd write up a post about it, and you guys can take what you want from it.

No carbs (fibrous vegetables = exception) - tried this for around a month. Felt good, body-wise, but my workouts definitely suffered.

Carb Backloading - Don't do this if you're neurotic about your food at times. I would do well for around 2-3 weeks, and then, BAM, I would do like this super massive mega food overload thing and lose ALL progress instantly.

Recently, I've messed around with 'caffeine dosing'. Basically, instead of taking all caffeine at once through a cup of coffee, or tea, or something, you dose it out around every hour. So, I probably have had 20-30mg (a guesstimate, this is through coffee/tea) every hour or so, and so far, the results are great. Today, I have three tests, and I've been alert and could really focus in on all the material I need to know. Try it out.

Speaking of caffeine, alertness, and focus...

(Demi)god mode coffee:
- Grassfed Butter (1 tsp - 1 TBS)
- Creatine (I take 5 grams)
- MCT Oil/Coconut Oil (1 tsp - 2 TBS)
- Single Origin Vanilla (1/4 tsp)
- Single Origin Coffee (2 TBS or around there)

Boom. Within 30 minutes, my mind is extra focused and my studying productivity is THROUGH THE ROOF. I called it demi-god mode because I believe that it can be improved with a couple of synergistic additions.

Other random stuff I've experimented with:
- Whey Hydrosylates - unless your diet is like 100% dialed in, these don't have any extra benefit.
- Waxy Maize - eh. Any fast carb source will do. Nothing special here either, unless you have your stuff 100% dialed in.
- Creatine - it seems I am a non-responder. Been taking it for almost 2 months now, and no noticeable difference. About to cycle off to confirm it, but that's the story here so far. The research clearly bears out its efficacy, however, so I would give it a shot if you're thinking about it.

Stuff I'm about to experiment with: Nootropics
- Aniracetam: for a brief overview of the racetams - Click Here
- CDP Choline OR Alpha GPC (needed if taking any racetams; apparently the upregulation of brain stuffs depletes acetyl-choline levels in the brain, thus, the choline supplement, which, in and of itself, has pretty big effects on cognitive enhancement)

Other random links:
- http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats/good-fats-bad-fats-separating-fact-from-fiction
- Why Butter is Better

Anyhow, I do actively set aside money and budget stuff out for all the experimentation I do. Why? Because 1) it is incredibly interesting to me, and 2) I can't give an opinion on something I've never personally tried myself; that's bad practice for the most part. Plus, it's pretty fun to see the effects, and I'll be able to confidently recommend or dissuade future people I work with from trying/not trying certain things.

I'm a big fan of knowing the "why" behind everything, so if you have any questions about how some of this stuff (butter, coconut/mct oil, hydrolysates, whatever) works, just post a question below and I'll either answer it because I know it, or dig into it until I can give you a no-BS answer. I like doing that sort of stuff anyway. When I'm not studying, I'm researching stuff. When I'm not researching stuff, I'm either studying or working out, so my brain is almost always on learn mode. You won't be adding any extra burden on me.

As always, comments, questions, additional pertinent information you think should be added, is welcome.

I will update this with any future experiences that I have.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Re: Josh T.'s Compendium of Nutritional Information/ Supplementation Experimentation

Post by Dave on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:25 pm

I just read about the Upgraded Self stuff on Bulletproof Exec last night actually. I've been listening to the podcasts too and it is tempting stuff.

Josh, will you please post links to your scource for acquiring each of these:

(Demi)god mode coffee:
- Grassfed Butter (1 tsp - 1 TBS)
- Creatine (I take 5 grams)
- MCT Oil/Coconut Oil (1 tsp - 2 TBS)
- Single Origin Vanilla (1/4 tsp)
- Single Origin Coffee (2 TBS or around there)

I'd like to compare and see if you get it at a better price than Dave is selling it for.

Thanks!
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Josh T.'s Compendium of Nutritional Information/ Supplementation Experimentation

Post by Journeyman on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:52 pm

That's some cool stuff josh. How much of a cup's worth of normal coffee would you take every hour to get the 20-30mg? (For us laymen....)
I will be following this, like I said I need to improve my nutrition/supplementation knowledges.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:24 pm

Quick search revealed-

7oz coffee:
Drip 115-175
Brewed 80-135
Instant 65-100
Decaf, brewed 3-4
Decaf, instant 2-3
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:01 pm

Dave,

- I actually ordered his pure MCT oil/vanilla stuff, just to try it, but you could find it from the smart powders website (at least the MCTs) for cheap, or you could buy coconut milk, and that'd work too.
- I always buy Kerrygold Grass Fed butter - most supermarkets carry it nowadays.
- I got my single origin coffee from What's The Buzz Coffee, a local place here in College Station.
- Creatine was from Amazon, I believe. You could find that cheaper on Smart Powders too, though.

Jman, I typically do it by estimates, similar to what itlives posted above.

First thing in the morning (I get up at 4:45 AM to study...it's crazy but that's when I get the most "real" studying done is early early), I drink a full cup with about a tsp of butter,MCTs, etc.

Then, I make around 12 oz to go for school, and just sort of eyeball it, again, using estimates similar to those above. So, maybe 1/4 of the cup ever 1-2 hours is my guess. My intake is probably more along the lines of 30-50mg, but nevertheless, it worked well. In total I have 24 oz of coffee a day, one all at once, one spaced out more, about every hour from 8-11 or so and that gives me a nice boost to get through the majority of my classes for the day.

Links:
- For finding single-origin coffee: http://www.bulletproofexec.com/3-steps-to-finding-the-highest-performance-coffee-in-your-city/
- Supplement Wholesaler: Smart Powders. Just do a search for creatine, mct, coconut oil, whatever, and they probably have it.
- In case you've never heard of Kerrygold Butter: http://kerrygold.com/
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:03 pm

One thing I will say about the single-origin coffee vs. store bought coffee - there is a big difference in quality. Also, it does make you feel better and more alert than storebought, and it tastes amazing; I don't have to add anything to it. I drink it black (besides the butter and mcts and vanilla; but I do drink it pure black sometimes too). I will never go back to storebought.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:10 pm

Thanks a lot Josh.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:57 pm

No problem Dave.

Also, if anyone is interested in what supplements do/do not do, this site has become one of my go to sites (I'm also in a sports nutrition class at the moment, and it helps a ton with that as well).

http://examine.com/

They have pretty much everything under the sun there, so if there's any particular 'thing' that's piqued your interest, you'll probably find some info there.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:51 pm

Thanks Josh. I have started drinking more coffee but don't wanna start relying on it too much and/or reducing its effects by taking it too often... have you had problems with this or does the small doses and added stuff (butter!) help with that?
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:28 pm

With taking it too much? Oh yes. What I typically do is limit myself to about 24oz for the day, and that's enough to still get that mental clarity and wake-up effect. I DO cycle off of it (never during school; that would be hell) during breaks, like Christmas break for example and when I had my caffeine overdose scare not too long ago. I do it just to make sure I'm not becoming too dependent. If you're not one of those obsessive foodie types like me though, I don't see any reason to cycle off of it; the withdrawal headaches are a real pain in the neck.

I found the small doses (based on my experiences earlier this week) to be a good help. Especially if you're not getting enough sleep. It'll keep you awake for class, or at least until class is over.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:40 pm

Cool, that makes sense (treating it as an actual drug)... might be worth experimenting with.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:06 pm

Yeah, it's worth a shot. Not saying it's a miracle cure or anything, but every little bit helps imo.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top