PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Training with a purpose

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Training with a purpose

Post by itlives on Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:05 pm

I read this on Yahoo sports "The Post Game" . Made me think, do WE have a higher purpose than just self improvement.....I think we should at the very least be open to ideas in how to help others.

Paul Theodore knew he could 30 pull-ups in a single set. He didn't know how many he could do in a single workout. But he learned the answer this past Saturday, when he pumped out 2,501 reps in a grueling 15-hour sweat session.

It was an amazing feat by any standard, save one: Theodore fell short on his attempt to break the Guinness World Record of 4,020 pull-ups in 24 hours.

But his bigger goal was secure: Raising $25,000 for Zoë Watterson, a courageous 17-year-old competitive cheerleader who lives with cystic fibrosis. And that made this workout the most satisfying of Theodore's life.

THE CHALLENGE

Theodore -- who 5-9 and 175 pounds -- had a simple strategy going in: He would do 6 repetitions every minute until he reached 1,000, and then drop to 5 reps every minute.

"I had originally thought I would get to 2,000 reps pretty quickly, in about 6 to 7 hours, and then battle it out from there," says Theodore, who is the owner of Fit Me Up, a youth and adult fitness company in Westlake, Ohio.

But that was before the problems began. At 800 reps, his hands began to blister. While he used gauze and athletic tape around the top of his palms to fix the issue, the onset of blisters caused an unexpected side effect: "They took my mind away from focusing on my nutrition," he says. "I didn't take my first bite of a granola bar until the 4-hour mark. At that point, I missed my window for properly refueling and there was no going back."

"Then came severe tightness in my left shoulder and right biceps," says Theodore. "The pain was so bad that it took me from 5 reps to 3 reps at the 1,500 mark."

At that point, Theodore took a 30-minute break to shower and recoup.

"Although I came back to my senses, my muscles never did. My biceps in both arms tightened up tremendously and never loosened up," he says. "I fought for the next 6 hours like this, but I realized at the 1,700 rep mark that I wasn’t going to break the record."

THE MOTIVATION

With the world record out of reach and his body shutting down, Theodore could have stopped. But he had a bigger purpose to keep going: Zoë.

Due to the effects of her disease, Zoë has to take 52 pills a day, and has only 50 percent lung capacity.

"Two years ago, Zoë was in the hospital for 5 months," says Theodore. "Her wish is to renovate the floor she lived in at Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital in Cleveland, for all the children that regularly stay there. She believes that a better environment will help other patients be happier, healthier, and recover faster." (All $25,000 raised from Theodore’s world record attempt will go toward making Zoë's dream come true.)

Like Theodore, Zoë found a purpose bigger than herself.
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Re: Training with a purpose

Post by Journeyman on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:28 pm

:up:
Not much else to say.

He could definitely break the record with specific training, if he pretty much just went out and did that....
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:52 am

Anybody who can hit 6 reps/minute for more than 2.5 hours is simply amazing.

And I thought that this was Jman's training log at first. I was like "I never noticed the 'a' in Jman's training log before..." :lol:
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:45 am

Funnily enough, I actually did too....
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:48 am

Jman could have wrote:Hey where did the last 5 pages of my log go? WHAT A RIP OFF! :grrr!: :mad: :rant:
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:43 am

I thought there was something odd about the title when I wrote it. Couldn't quite put my finger on it :mrgreen:
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top