PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Anyone in here using World Community grid software/BOINC on their pc?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anyone in here using World Community grid software/BOINC on their pc?

Post by Guitar_maniac on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:24 am

If the term don't say anything, it's basically borrowing your pc's idle time to university research projects. They send you files that your CPU calculates and then sends the info back. It can be stopped anytime if starting to play or doing some other hard work on your pc. I'm currently "lending" my CPU to Human proteome folding, and aids research.

Just thought to share this, if your pc is on a lot like mine ( i watch tabs to songs on pc, or transcribe songs to tabulature/play along from music from spotify/youtube), Boinc just runs in the background and it's great way to help out a bit. Completely free, and it's based on volunteering whoever wants to help, seems like a good idea to me. There's a lot of projects, covering everything from biology to astromy.
Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

http://www.facebook.com/esa.lackstrom

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone in here using World Community grid software/BOINC on their pc?

Post by ranger_x3 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:27 am

I haven't done this in a few years. I had machines built specifically for this and I would leave them on at home while I was at college. If you get electricity really cheap then you shouldn't have a problem, but my stepdad got a little annoyed at me for it.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:46 am

How good of internet speed does the user's PC need to help with the program? the lowest required speed?
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:30 am

As far as I remember internet connection doesn't matter a whole lot. The work items were very small, around 15mb tops if I remember correctly. It just gets through the work units faster if you allocate more processor time to it.

BOINC can also be used with a number of other projects. I think there was a prime number search, something related to chess, and another project looking at protein folding. WCG can also use your graphics card, I never tried doing it though.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar_maniac on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:42 am

Ranger: My pc is on anyways since i'm transcribing/learning songs, so i have to pay the electricity anyway. My friend set up 6 pc's at his place, electricity belonged to the rent :D His landlord called him one time pretty angry and asked why he has had a 4 time electricity usage compared to his neighbours for a few months.. :D

Squatty: There isn't requirement for specific speeds, it loads how much it needs, and then starts counting. I have 5mb wireless connection and works great. It depends on the project how much stuff it needs, and the faster cpu/the more ram, the faster it finishes. There's requirements on every project, and the software will also tell you if some project is meant on a high end pc's.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/research/viewAllProjects.do Here's a link to some of the projects, from BOINC u can connect directly to other ones, there's a lot of them. This is truly a good deed! Granted, one normal pc won't do much, but every little bit helps. Imagine the value if there would 40% of the world's pc's helping out on a cancer research etc.
Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar_maniac on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:44 am

ranger_x3 wrote:As far as I remember internet connection doesn't matter a whole lot. The work items were very small, around 15mb tops if I remember correctly. It just gets through the work units faster if you allocate more processor time to it.

BOINC can also be used with a number of other projects. I think there was a prime number search, something related to chess, and another project looking at protein folding. WCG can also use your graphics card, I never tried doing it though.

yeah, there's a lot. That chess project is pretty... useless :D I have been looking mainly into medicine, clean energy and some technological projects.
Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:26 pm

I'm not sure how eager I would be to do anything that might help to hasten the arrival of the singularity. That scares the living daylights out of me.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top