PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Is BCAA worth using?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is BCAA worth using?

Post by Guitar_maniac on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:47 am

I stumbled upon this while googling random training articles and nutrition. 3-5 capsules everyday and they are sold on about 200 piece sets.. As a student i have to budget everything, so should i use them or not? Will i survive and improve just on a good and healthy eating/if i don't want to eat BCAA rest of my life and stop eating, will i wake up one morning, all my gigantic muscles turned to fat?
Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

http://www.facebook.com/esa.lackstrom

Back to top Go down

Re: Is BCAA worth using?

Post by Bissen on Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:15 am

I've never used it, so I don't know if I'd see any improvements using it. I don't even properly know how to use it...

The only supplement(s) I use for training is whey (and dextrose).
Bissen
Masterful
Masterful

http://www.moarninjaplz.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:05 pm

nah not worth it IMO, just get a whey shake with them in. all they do is break down proteins, so unless your on a diet with mass amount of protein then they not necessary.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Bissen on Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:09 pm

And before one should ever consider supps at all, proper daily nutrition is of much higher priority. Good workout nutrition doesn't make up for a whole day of crappy eating ;)
Bissen
Masterful
Masterful

http://www.moarninjaplz.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:10 pm

yeah if your diet is good and what not, then you dont even need sups, maybe a lil creatine and protein for recovery and bobs your uncle.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar_maniac on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:38 am

My diet is as good as student's budget allows :/ Can't work much as a security guard/bouncer when i'm at school on weekdays. Have to rest too sometimes or everything fails.

Guess i'll buy some protein supplements, since i can't afford real meat often. Thanks for the info!
Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

http://www.facebook.com/esa.lackstrom

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Sat May 11, 2013 8:04 pm

I picked up this BCAA supplement today. I was a little skeptical about using them since they are contained in protein supplements, but the point of them isn't to replace protein at all. From what I could gather, BCAAs are absorbed much faster meaning that when you take them pre, during, and post workout, you don't have to wait the hours it would normally take for them to make it to your bloodstream because the protein needs to be digested first.

After rereading that, I feel like I just regurgitated a marketing statement, but I will be using them once they come in the mail next week so I can let you guys know how much they affect my workouts.

Edit: The link I posted has a link to research articles about their BCAA supplement and BCAA supplementation in general.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun May 12, 2013 2:53 am

Micah, definitely keep us posted!
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ab1 on Wed May 22, 2013 6:34 am

BCAA are essential if you are on a weigt loss plan in my opinion. Take note my idea of a weight loss plan is restricted calories and interval training.

Wen losing weight you want to lose fat not muscle. BCAA help retain muscle and gives some assistance in your performance abilities when training. It also reduces recovery time.

This is about the best article i have read on BCAA'a
http://www.muscleandstrength.com/expert-guides/bcaas

Ab1
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Wed May 22, 2013 8:35 am

That's a pretty good article. Most of what I found were biased towards a specific supplement or were actual medical studies that are not always the easiest to understand.

I've noticed them the most for recovery/long effort type situations like my long run on Sunday and yesterday with lifting, racquetball, and finally running. Purely to help with my lifting they don't seem to help as much because my sessions are pretty short.

Today will be the first test with an interval workout, just a bunch of 200's. I'm not expecting much, I didn't see a huge help when I did mile repeats on Saturday, but that could also be because it was really hot and humid by the time I did them so I felt like crap from the weather anyway.

My peri-workout nutrition(I just cringed) is BCAA's before and after working out, whatever the exercise is, and the protein shake as soon as I can after that as long as I'm in my eating block since I'm still toying with intermittent fasting.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed May 22, 2013 5:26 pm

ranger_x3 wrote:My periwinkle nutrition(I just cringed)

And I just LOLed. :lol!:
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ab1 on Thu May 30, 2013 5:11 am

My feedback...

My first three months of body weight training was hard with severe DOMS and long recovery. I then had a two month lay off due to personal issues.

I have now strated training again with real effort, way harder than before and taking BCAA's. I do get DOMS but not nearly as severe as before. Before the doms were on some times so bad that it impaired the rest of the weeks training ability, I can now train hard knowing that tomorrow I will be able to train again.

Yes, I am getting fitter and stronger but not in two weeks.

I am also not taking the maximun dose, the bottle recomends 4 to 8 per day, I alway take two 30 minuts before and depending on how hard I worked one or two afterwards.

@ $15 for a months supply, I'll be taking these for a while.
Ab1
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top