PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Books - What are YOU reading?

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by TheMasterKey on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:01 am

"There is very little difference between someone who cannot read and someone who will not read." - Jim Rohn

I'm a pretty avid reader, as I know some of you are.

I thought this could be a good thread to recommend books or just to update with what your currently reading.

The last book I read is "The Five Major Pieces to the Life Puzzle" by Jim Rohn. It was a case of "the right book at the right time" for me. It's an easy read, as I read the whole book yesterday.

The book is filled with gold, but it really reinforced the idea that reading is an essential component to any plan of self improvement.

Jim Rohn also has ALOT of good videos on youtube. Good stuff to throw on while you work on the computer.

Recommended.
-------------------------------

What are YOU reading?

TheMasterKey
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by squatty on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:14 am

I also read more than any other activity in life.
And when I can't find anything to read, severe depression kicks in.
It's like this nihilistic depression is always with me, but I get distracted from it for a short relief when I found something of value to read.
Yesterday finally got my hands on "Deadlift Dynamite" by Pavel and Randy Orton.
Unfortunately, not interesting to me. too detailed, too confusing.
My favorite topics in order:
- training
- drugs/herbs
- short stories
- poems

It's been a long time since I haven't find anything to read in "training" category.
Guess it's better to pick up that herbal book I borrowed recently from library, or I might commit suicide by starvation/dehydration.
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:32 am

Don't be doing that. The world just wouldn't be the same without you. :D And besides, we haven't finished our current chess game! ;)

Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:03 pm

Currently reading "The Talent Code" by Daniel Coyle, and "Primal Leadership" by some Harvard dudes. The Talent Code is a WIN. Not finished yet, but immensely interesting and highly recommended.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMasterKey on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:47 pm

squatty wrote:I also read more than any other activity in life.
And when I can't find anything to read, severe depression kicks in.
It's like this nihilistic depression is always with me, but I get distracted from it for a short relief when I found something of value to read.
Yesterday finally got my hands on "Deadlift Dynamite" by Pavel and Randy Orton.
Unfortunately, not interesting to me. too detailed, too confusing.
My favorite topics in order:
- training
- drugs/herbs
- short stories
- poems

It's been a long time since I haven't find anything to read in "training" category.
Guess it's better to pick up that herbal book I borrowed recently from library, or I might commit suicide by starvation/dehydration.

Hey if the reading helps, keep reading!

I've only read one book on training which was "Infinite Intensity" by Ross Enamait.

I had bought the "Building the Gymnastic Body" book, but couldn't get into it and ended up giving/mailing it to a BWC member.

Dave.cyco wrote:Don't be doing that. The world just wouldn't be the same without you. :D And besides, we haven't finished our current chess game! ;)

No reading for you Dave?

Josh T. wrote:Currently reading "The Talent Code" by Daniel Coyle, and "Primal Leadership" by some Harvard dudes. The Talent Code is a WIN. Not finished yet, but immensely interesting and highly recommended.

Good stuff Josh, I'll check for that one.

A similar book I read was "Talent Is Overrated" by Geoff Colvin.
TheMasterKey
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMasterKey on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:46 am

TheMasterKey wrote:I've only read one book on training which was "Infinite Intensity" by Ross Enamait.

I had bought the "Building the Gymnastic Body" book, but couldn't get into it and ended up giving/mailing it to a BWC member.

I was thinking about this and I did read another book on training which was "Basic Training" by Herschel Walker.

Seems to be hard to find, but my local library had a copy.

And of course, the book contained no "secrets".
TheMasterKey
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:40 am

Just finished reading 'Shogun' James Clavell.

Great read.
Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:07 am

TheMasterKey wrote:
I've only read one book on training which was "Infinite Intensity" by Ross Enamait.

Really? Interesting.

I'd say that for strength training my top 5 books would be:
Dinosaur Training (Kubik)
Easy Strength (DJ/Pavel)
Maximum Muscle (Matt Perryman)
OTS III 'Big Beyond Belief' (Leo Costa)
The Steel Tip (Leistner)

If I were to expand it to a top 10 list I'd include 'From the Ground Up', 'Metroflex Gym Powerbuilding Basics', 'Beyond Bodybuilding', 'Destroy the Opposition', and 'The Westside Barbell Book of Methods'.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:35 am

TheMasterKey wrote:No reading for you Dave?

Okay, but my list is not exhaustive:

Explanation of the Epistles and Gospels, by Fr. Leonard Goffine
The Liturgical Year, by Prosper Dom Guéranger
True Devotion to Mary; The Secret of the Rosary, by Louis de Montfort
The Summa Theologica, by St. Thomas Aquinas
Decrees of the Ecumenical Councils, (compiled by) Norman Tanner

And many more books by Christian writers than I could possibly name, including St. Alphonsus, St. Augustine, and many more Church Fathers like Jerome, Cyril of Alexandria, Cyprian, John Chrysostom, Gregory the Great, etc.

Survival, Evasion and Recovery, by some branch(es) of the US military.

Think and Grow Rich, by Napoleon Hill
Power of Positive Thinking, by Norman Vincent Peale
Rich Dad Poor Dad; Cashflow Quadrant, by Robert Kiyosaki
ABCs of Making Money, by Alan Lysaght

This is in addition to all kinds of materials I read from various "alternative" authors, usually concerning political and juridical ideologies, a great example being Adventures in Legal Land by Mark Stevens, although I find cosmology and cosmogony about as interesting as I do moral theology:

Zetetic Astronomy, Earth Not a Globe (no I am NOT a "Flat Earther"! :lol: But the arguments are interesting, albeit mostly refuted as far as I can see...)
The Christian Topography, by Cosmas Indicopleustes
How Did We Find Out the Earth Is Round?, by Isaac Asimov
Galileo was Wrong; The Church Was Right, by Robert Sungenis (yes, I am a Neo Tychonian)

As for training books, I've also read the most subjectively interesting portions of many of the books mentioned around the board, including a number (but nowhere near the majority) of Journeyman's library of fitness knowledges (probably all of which is on my computer now, at least).

Though the truth is I've slowed down considerably on the reading even compared with two years ago.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:09 am

^ I have much more to add, without being able to upload files to this board I'm limited in sharing capabilities... but when I can, from time to time I'll make a new thread or add/share/write up something new. I have over 40 full length books and something like 300 articles, plus almost all of brooks kubik's dinosaur files, ken leistner's steel tip, a number of scholarly and historical pieces, and of course 50 or 60 little 'nuggets' of advice, etc.
And that's only the ones that have been worth saving :mrgreen:

The library has its limitations though. I need to study up on nutrition more, on conditioning and training cycles. I know little about more sophisticated periodization and inseason/offseason training at the more complex levels, simply because it doesn't really apply to me right now.... I have a virtually unlimited supply of training info regarding strength training to the upper intermediate/advanced (not so much elite) levels, though.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 am

^^ As someone who's been around the world a few times, I find it highly unlikely that it is flat... or that the sun revolves around us, that's all I have to say :lol:
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:01 am

Journeyman wrote:
TheMasterKey wrote:

Really? Interesting.

I'd say that for strength training my top 5 books would be:
Dinosaur Training (Kubik)
Easy Strength (DJ/Pavel)
Maximum Muscle (Matt Perryman)
OTS III 'Big Beyond Belief' (Leo Costa)
The Steel Tip (Leistner)

i don't have the bold ones, can you "borrow" them to me?
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:37 am

Maximum muscle can be found online in various places as a pdf, matt circulated it completely for free himself.

OTS III BBB is on scribd I think, among others.

The steel tip is only available in hardcopy.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:11 pm

Journeyman wrote:^^ As someone who's been around the world a few times, I find it highly unlikely that it is flat... or that the sun revolves around us, that's all I have to say :lol:

Did you read what I said?

Last edited by Dave.cyco on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : updated language filter)
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:01 pm

I did, no need to respond rhetorically.

Though, the latter part of my lighthearted comment was that I don't think the sun revolves around us... you remarked that you were a neo-Tychonian, doesn't that mean you support a geocentric view of astronomy?
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:20 pm

It does, but not a Ptolemaic view, which is what your comment describes, and which has been mathematically refuted long ago. So please forgive the curtness of my reply; it looked to me like my position on both issues was being misrepresented.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:57 pm

Dave, why do we have a language filter, if you, the very guy who set it up, is having to go around it? Sorry, but this doesn't make any sense to me. Regardless of my views on the matter, forcing your views on others, and then basically going against those views is pretty hypocritical imo.

I respect you man, but the above is a real turn-off. Not trying to be rude, just calling it like I see it.

Also, forgive me if the language filter was taken down (haven't really paid attention as of late) and I'm just being ignorant.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMasterKey on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:19 pm

Josh T. wrote:Dave, why do we have a language filter, if you, the very guy who set it up, is having to go around it? Sorry, but this doesn't make any sense to me.

I gotta co-sign this.

Of all the things someone could find on the internet, if the worst they're exposed to is a couple of curse words on here, I think they're doing pretty good.
TheMasterKey
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:26 pm

I figure "****" is to "excrement" what "piss" is to "urine". And "piss" is used in the Bible as a legitimate, i.e. not offensive, word for urination, so it never seemed sensible or consistent to put either word in the filter.

I've even said a few times already that I don't consider that word to be too bad, although surely it could be overused, like anything. But, funnily enough, the reason I didn't spell it normally above is because everyone else seems to be spelling it oddly (e.g. **!*), probably thinking that it is a banned word, so I just kind of went along with that. :lol:

Anyway, now you know my take on it.

Last edited by Dave.cyco on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : language filter updated)
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:28 pm

Quick addendum: **** is not directly representative of something either immoral or malicious like other words that are included in the language filter, hence I have not once expressed objection to the use of "****".

Last edited by Dave.cyco on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : language filter updated)
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:28 pm

That's some pretty shoddy logic Dave. If I'm to take what you just said seriously, then that means that the context in which you said "no schit" was literally meant to be "no excrement..." and so on and so forth. We both know that's a load of crap (no pun intended). It's the principle of the matter man. Let people say what they want to say, if some of us don't like it, then we can 1) put our big girl panties on and deal with it (it's not like we don't hear it every single day), or 2) leave the forum. Be consistent man.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:42 pm

You can take it seriously as a metaphor, Josh; you used a couple there yourself. ;) And I am being consistent with my own beliefs, given that my objections to foul language stem from the moral perspective only.

However, now that you've brought it up, I realize that there is an inconsistency between my intention to keep the forum attractive to anyone and everyone, and my use of this word (despite my own personal lack of moral objections to it). Thank you and TMK both for making me think twice about it, I won't use the word again on this site, and I apologize; please forgive me for not being consistent with my original intention.

The word's been added to the word filter.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:51 am

If y'all are done CUSSIN' maybe we can get back to the subject. :mrgreen: :toothy:

I usually read 2-5 books at the same time, each one is a change of pace from the others. Usually something strength/training related, some type of novel (science fiction/fantasy, adventure), and something philosophical/religious/political/sociology/health/economic theory stuff.

I'm about a quarter of the way through "Easy Strength". Nearly done with a couple of older novels, Eric Lustbader's old "Shan" and A. A. Attanasio's truly excellent novel "Wyvern". Also just started re-reading Alan Watt's "This is it".
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:28 am

I used to read books quite a bit. Now, most of my reading is on the internet. Rarely do I finish one before something else is being read. I'm pretty good at skimming for information.
I read the bible everyday on the internet.
Subjects are usually - nutrition, science and survival.
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar_maniac on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:57 am

My reading has gone to the internet too pretty much. Mainly focused on news/blogs/columns, i have few pdf's on my pc about music theory that i should immerse to.

Read a lot books as a kid, my father had all Stephen King's books, books about hunting, encyklopedia's (is that written correctly in english.. :D), but that was time before internet.. those sweet times.
Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

http://www.facebook.com/esa.lackstrom

Back to top Go down

Post by raver on Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:32 pm

Just finished today: Elephants on Acid: And Other Bizarre Experiments
Started: The phantom at the opera.

raver
Accomplished
Accomplished

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:48 pm

Guitar_maniac wrote:encyklopedia's (is that written correctly in english.. :D)

Encyclopedias. And contrary to popular internet practice, no apostrophe for pluralization of words or numbers, ever. ;)

I grew up in the '80's and '90's.

I grew up in the '80s and '90s.

I just ate two banana's.

I just ate two bananas.

Overhead press's with a pair of 40's

Overhead presses with a pair of 40s
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:04 pm

yes, but steve jobs's biography and steve jobs' biography. i listened to a lengthy discussion about that lately.

And btw. atm. reading:

With a little Help, Cory Doctorow
Scottish and Chinese tales
Lolita, Vladimir Nabokow
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:11 pm

Avocadoshake wrote:yes, but steve jobs's biography and steve jobs' biography. i listened to a lengthy discussion about that lately.

This is not plural form, but possessive form. Both are actually considered acceptable, depending on which style manual you follow, though I prefer "Steve Jobs' biography". All possessive forms receive an apostrophe except for the possessive form of "it". It's = it is; its = something that belongs to it.

And while we're at it, proper names should have the first letter capitalized, as should the pronoun "I". :)

Not being rude, just doing as you asked. ;)
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:56 pm

I was just contributing to the 's discussion, neglecting the plural, because the 's is a common mistake in german (Deppenappostroph=Moron's apostrophe).

The only right version would be here: Linus' Buch and to mark an omission like Bretz'l for Bretzel (pretzel). Wrong however is: Gitti's Frisierstube (Gitti's Barber Shop) und Uschi's Getränkemarkt (Uschi's Bottle Shop) where Gittis Frisierstube and Uschis Getränkemarkt would be right. But you never see Uschis Getränkemarkt on a billboard.

Hence I'd prefer Steve Jobs' biography with a big S and J.
And yes, I asked, but I was typing one handed, while holding the fraggle with the other.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:46 pm

Avocadoshake wrote:(Deppenappostroph=Moron's apostrophe).

They have a word for it! That's awesome and hilarious!

and to mark an omission like Bretz'l for Bretzel (pretzel).

Archaic English uses this as well. Not surprising considering the many common roots of English and German.

But you never see Uschis Getränkemarkt on a billboard.

Ushci went out of business? Or he just doesn't like to advertise? :P (jk, I get what you were saying :)).

And yes, I asked, but I was typing one handed, while holding the fraggle with the other.

I think you just found our newest smiley! :crybaby:
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:11 pm

:crybaby: Cool - How appropriate. I assume Inca will be using it quite often.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:24 pm

Hey! One of my favorite subjects.
I'm currently reading "Drive" by Daniel Pink with "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand up next.
I very rarely read fiction but I finished "The Art of Fielding" by Chad Harbach a couple of weeks ago. Knocked it out in three days. I HAD to finish it so I could get on with my life.
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:42 pm

Brahma Bill wrote:Knocked it out in three days. I HAD to finish it so I could get on with my life.

Those are the good books!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:49 am

Dave.cyco wrote:
Zetetic Astronomy, Earth Not a Globe (no I am NOT a "Flat Earther"! :lol: But the arguments are interesting, albeit mostly refuted as far as I can see...)

Journeyman wrote:^^ As someone who's been around the world a few times, I find it highly unlikely that it is flat... or that the sun revolves around us, that's all I have to say :lol:

Never got into it, but apparently some of the 'flat Earth' arguments are tough to dispute.

Another curious concept is one of the Earth being concave and wrapped around the universe, with the sun at the center. Also defies (most) mathematical proof... as long as you're prepared to re-work physics considerably.

Both have been proven wrong, of course, but you have to consider human thought processes in an era before air and space travel.

Rastaman wrote:Just finished reading 'Shogun' James Clavell.

Clavell's books are great, and Shogun in probably the best of them all. The one about the revolution in Iran was also good.
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:00 pm

Fatman wrote:

Another curious concept is one of the Earth being concave and wrapped around the universe, with the sun at the center. Also defies (most) mathematical proof... as long as you're prepared to re-work physics considerably.

That's kinda cool, actually. I'm not sure how you'd try and disprove satellites, images of earth from orbit/the moon, etc. but I guess conceivably an anomaly like that could be possible, if you had an object large enough to warp gravity more or less inside out--I'm not sure a solid object could ever exert such a wormhole-like effect, though.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:36 pm

It would be cool if instead of digging to China you could look up and see it! XD
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:49 pm

Anyone of you who likes to read on web devices should give daily lit a try. Ther you can read licence free or cc stuff on a daily email basis. Just going through Cory Doctorows short storys on it myself.
daily lit
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:26 pm

Not much time to read casually these days. Most of my reading is done in science textbooks. I did just finish reading the play "Death of a Salesman" for an English course though. Not a bad play. Not sure if I was supposed to feel sympathy for Willy or not... but I didn't. Not one bit.

When I do have time to read whatever I please, I tend towards science fiction. I've read a ton of Asimov, Frank Herbert, Orson Scott Card, and Arthur C. Clarke, to name only a few. I also like to read about science, and I'll be adding alot more philosophy into my reading pile.

Jon
Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:04 am

Philosophy eh? If you ever get the chance read anything by St. Thomas Aquinas. He is easily among the most lucid philosopher and he was a devout student of the works of Plato and Aristotle. Philosophers and jurists find much value in the writings of St. Thomas, even those of a secular persuasion.

Just a quick example are his writings on murder, which were very formative of my views on the subject. Check it out of you have time: http://www.newadvent.org/summa/3064.htm

Jon wrote:Not sure if I was supposed to feel sympathy for Willy or not... but I didn't. Not one bit.

I LOLed at this and I don't even know the story, probably because I can just picture how you would say it. :lol:
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisTG on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:30 am

I'm going to have to read A Brief History of time again with all this science talk :) I recommend it if you have an interest in learning about different theories of how the universe works and how these ideas were developed and came to be, although now the Large Hadron Collider has shot String Theory full of holes so half the book might be irrelevant now.

I do currently spend more time reading this forum than books, but you guys put out a LOT of content on a continuous basis lol

ChrisTG
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:02 am

They do don't they!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:47 am

ChrisTG wrote:I'm going to have to read A Brief History of time again with all this science talk :) I recommend it if you have an interest in learning about different theories of how the universe works and how these ideas were developed and came to be, although now the Large Hadron Collider has shot String Theory full of holes so half the book might be irrelevant now.

I read it back when it came out, but I'd have to re-read it since it's been so long. I have to wonder, if string theory is now kaput what is taking it's place?
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:27 am

Jon wrote:Not much time to read casually these days. Most of my reading is done in science textbooks. I did just finish reading the play "Death of a Salesman" for an English course though. Not a bad play. Not sure if I was supposed to feel sympathy for Willy or not... but I didn't. Not one bit.

When I do have time to read whatever I please, I tend towards science fiction. I've read a ton of Asimov, Frank Herbert, Orson Scott Card, and Arthur C. Clarke, to name only a few. I also like to read about science, and I'll be adding alot more philosophy into my reading pile.

Those are good authors, real science fiction classics there.

You are supposed to feel pity for Willy but not 'bad' per se, he's not a very identifiable character.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisTG on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:37 am

Cheesedog wrote:I read it back when it came out, but I'd have to re-read it since it's been so long. I have to wonder, if string theory is now kaput what is taking it's place?

Hopefully some new ideas. The Standard Model keeps getting refined but the big problems with it still exist. I'm pretty sure the next few decades will give some interesting science, since the LHC basically just started up and it's already shaken things up this much lol.

ChrisTG
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:37 am

Dave.cyco wrote:Philosophy eh? If you ever get the chance read anything by St. Thomas Aquinas. He is easily among the most lucid philosopher and he was a devout student of the works of Plato and Aristotle. Philosophers and jurists find much value in the writings of St. Thomas, even those of a secular persuasion.

I was already planning on it. I'm going to get a bit of a primer on him soon anyway. I got to choose an elective this semester, so I chose philosophy, and we've just moved beyond ethics and the social contract into the philosophy of religion. Seems a pretty broad topic, but I know we're at least going to be looking at Aquinas and a few others.

Jon
Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:48 pm

ChrisTG wrote:
Cheesedog wrote:I read it back when it came out, but I'd have to re-read it since it's been so long. I have to wonder, if string theory is now kaput what is taking it's place?

Hopefully some new ideas. The Standard Model keeps getting refined but the big problems with it still exist. I'm pretty sure the next few decades will give some interesting science, since the LHC basically just started up and it's already shaken things up this much lol.

It's an exciting time to be alive isn't it? Can't wait to see what they come up with next.
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon on Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:51 am

Just finished reading The Reader by Bernhard Schlink for school, and just started reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland for school. Neither book is one I would have chosen to read on my own, but still enjoyable nonetheless.

Jon
Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMasterKey on Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:59 am

I recently bought and re-read "How An Economy Grows and Why It Crashes", by Peter Schiff.

It's an entertaining read that breaks down a complex subject using storytelling, humor, and cartoons.

TheMasterKey
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMasterKey on Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:51 pm

Just finished reading "Only In America - The Life and Crimes of Don King" by Jack Newfield.

The book details King's rise from a two time murderer who served time in prison, to the most infamous promoter in boxing, a multi-millionaire with worldwide recognition.

The author is a very good writer and I think any fan of boxing would appreciate the book. And while the book portrays King as an evil scoundrel, there is also a great deal of respect shown for his work ethic, legendary charisma, and all around ability to make things happen.

My only gripe is that the book starts off with King already well established, running a numbers business generating $15,000 a day. And that was in 1966.

Here's a quote from the book:

King was a street Machiavelli, a ghetto Einstein. He dropped dimes on his competitors in the numbers business. He invented ways to cheat the system. He had influence with bad cops, judges, and politicians. He had survived two assassination attempts by his rivals. He was close to Italians in the traditional Mafia, who protected his operations for a price.

King dressed like a pimp, talked like an evangelical storefront preacher, and thought like a chess grand master. He believed his own life was destined to be an epic odyssey.

Recommended.

TheMasterKey
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top