PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!



Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Books - What are YOU reading?

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by trainingforlife on Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:55 pm

I am reading three
1.The Hobbit
2. Harry Potter Book 1
3.James Patterson's Witches & Wizards

trainingforlife
Masterful
Masterful

Posts : 625
Reputation : 23
Join date : 2012-12-02
Age : 41
Location : Ok

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoK7PpW9-MZvpiFtiuYVtLg

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by TheMasterKey on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:38 pm

Recently finished "Grinding It Out: The Making of McDonald's" by Ray Kroc.

The book is exactly as described in the title and it's definitely motivating to anyone working towards or currently building a project of their own.

Ray Kroc didn't meet the McDonald brothers until he was already in his early 50's. He had spent the earlier parts of his life working occasionally as a musician, but predominately as a salesman. And even towards the end of his life, he never lost his enthusiasm and passion for his business.

Some will be too turned off by the glaring negatives, such as the obesity epidemic enabled by fast food chains like McDonalds, to give the book a chance. Fair enough. But you think a guy who created a Billion dollar empire might be able to teach you a thing or two?

"When you're green, you're growing. When you're ripe, you rot." - Ray Kroc



As an aside, I was reading part of the book in a diner, when the older waitress inquired about what I was reading. She then went into a slightly cloaked anti-business rant, leading to how the creator of the McFish was paid $100 for his creation.

Apparently, she's never seen The Wire...

Language warning:
avatar
TheMasterKey
Elite
Elite

Posts : 731
Reputation : 30
Join date : 2012-12-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by Dave on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:21 pm

TheMasterKey wrote:"When you're green, you're growing. When you're ripe, you rot." - Ray Kroc

i.e. you're either greedy or rotten. And here I always thought you could be both at the same time... :batlashes:
avatar
Dave
Admin
Admin

Posts : 7971
Reputation : 169
Join date : 2012-11-30
Age : 36
Location : Peterborough, Canada

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by TheMasterKey on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:04 pm

The context of the quote is that - When you're learning new things, you're staying open to life. When you think you've done it all/know it all, you'll begin deteriorating.

It's not money related.

Maybe I'm misreading your comment.
avatar
TheMasterKey
Elite
Elite

Posts : 731
Reputation : 30
Join date : 2012-12-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by Dave on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:30 pm

Hahah, yeah, I was just being a clown. :toothy:
avatar
Dave
Admin
Admin

Posts : 7971
Reputation : 169
Join date : 2012-11-30
Age : 36
Location : Peterborough, Canada

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by Brahma Bill on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:47 am

"Deep Survival", Laurence Gonzales, finished this one last week. He really gets heavy into what's going on Neurologically and Psychologically during high stress/survival situations. Interesting stuff.
avatar
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Posts : 2247
Reputation : 92
Join date : 2012-12-01
Age : 54
Location : Norfolk, VA USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by TheMasterKey on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:58 am

Recently finished "The Art of Worldly Wisdom" by Baltasar Gracian.

This was a translation of the original, which was published in 1637.

The short book is a collection of maxims. Somewhat comparable to the Proverbs found in the Bible.

I had high hopes for this and was somewhat disappointed. But the second half of the book was better than the first, imo.

And there was a line in the book that was actually used in an old rap song. Which is funny because I had always given that rapper alot of credit for that line.



^^^ This is the version I read. If you decide to check it out, I'd try another translation/version.
avatar
TheMasterKey
Elite
Elite

Posts : 731
Reputation : 30
Join date : 2012-12-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by Dave on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:36 am

I just started this:

avatar
Dave
Admin
Admin

Posts : 7971
Reputation : 169
Join date : 2012-11-30
Age : 36
Location : Peterborough, Canada

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by Dave on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:42 am

My favourite part of it so far is how he says that successful people have such a passion for what they do that it is no longer work to them but fun. He says they work hard, but where most people would call them workaholics, he believes they should be called workafrolicks. :laugh2:
avatar
Dave
Admin
Admin

Posts : 7971
Reputation : 169
Join date : 2012-11-30
Age : 36
Location : Peterborough, Canada

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by TheMasterKey on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:05 am

A related quote that always stuck with me from Jorge Perez...

Jorge Perez wrote:Someone once said, "If you love what you do, it's never work." I don't know about that. What I do is tremendously hard work. But I am totally, unwaveringly, and absolutely dedicated to it.

If you don't feel that kind of passion for what you do, you should do something else.
avatar
TheMasterKey
Elite
Elite

Posts : 731
Reputation : 30
Join date : 2012-12-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by MF! on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:15 am

TheMasterKey wrote:
And there was a line in the book that was actually used in an old rap song. Which is funny because I had always given that rapper alot of credit for that line.

you know me.... I'm curious about which line and who used it ... lol.
PS: how are you reading books so fast??
avatar
MF!
Adept
Adept

Posts : 243
Reputation : 14
Join date : 2012-12-14

http://traceurversusbboy.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by squatty on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:47 am

Not really a "book", but still it's reading and learning:
http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/python
avatar
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Posts : 570
Reputation : 13
Join date : 2012-12-24
Age : 29

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by TheMasterKey on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:40 pm

MF! wrote:
TheMasterKey wrote:
And there was a line in the book that was actually used in an old rap song. Which is funny because I had always given that rapper alot of credit for that line.

you know me.... I'm curious about which line and who used it ... lol.

GZA - "Breaker, Breaker"

He says, "You break the mirror that reminds you of your ugliness."

Although in the translation I had of the book, the line is - "Many break the mirror that reminds them of their ugliness."



MF! wrote:PS: how are you reading books so fast??

I like to read. :mrgreen:
avatar
TheMasterKey
Elite
Elite

Posts : 731
Reputation : 30
Join date : 2012-12-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by TheMasterKey on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:46 pm

Recently finished "An Iron Will" by Orison Swett Marden.

It's a quick read with some inspirational anecdotes highlighting the importance of will power and firmness of purpose.

avatar
TheMasterKey
Elite
Elite

Posts : 731
Reputation : 30
Join date : 2012-12-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by MF! on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:22 pm

TheMasterKey wrote:
MF! wrote:
TheMasterKey wrote:
And there was a line in the book that was actually used in an old rap song. Which is funny because I had always given that rapper alot of credit for that line.

you know me.... I'm curious about which line and who used it ... lol.

GZA - "Breaker, Breaker"

He says, "You break the mirror that reminds you of your ugliness."

Although in the translation I had of the book, the line is - "Many break the mirror that reminds them of their ugliness."

MF! wrote:PS: how are you reading books so fast??

I like to read. :mrgreen:

Hmm... I'd still give him credit for having read and found it influential enough to use it in a line. with the direction that rap is going lately im scared to know if kids know what a book is these days :silent:
avatar
MF!
Adept
Adept

Posts : 243
Reputation : 14
Join date : 2012-12-14

http://traceurversusbboy.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by squatty on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:28 am

Hey wait a minute, is there any equivalent of IMDB or last.fm for book readers?
A website where you tell them the names of the books you've read, and they will suggest further reads for you based on your previous reading appetite?
I want it for a friend, personally I see it as a way of spying on citizens. they can smell what kind of person you are if they know the names of all the books you've read...
avatar
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Posts : 570
Reputation : 13
Join date : 2012-12-24
Age : 29

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:06 am

I'm about halfway through Jim Butcher's newest Dresden Files book. Cold Days. It's excellent.
avatar
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Posts : 1989
Reputation : 86
Join date : 2012-12-01
Age : 53
Location : Kentucky, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by Madman on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:39 am

I usually don't read much, always go for self improvement stuff, but get bored.
Recently I found a book called Star Wars:Darth Bane, path of destruction. It has nothing to do with batman, but I was curious what a starwars char named Bane would be like, so I'm 14 chapters in and it's actually pretty entertaining read about the badguys.
avatar
Madman
Adept
Adept

Posts : 264
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2013-03-09
Age : 28
Location : Canada

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by TheMasterKey on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:15 am

squatty wrote:Hey wait a minute, is there any equivalent of IMDB or last.fm for book readers?
A website where you tell them the names of the books you've read, and they will suggest further reads for you based on your previous reading appetite?
I want it for a friend, personally I see it as a way of spying on citizens. they can smell what kind of person you are if they know the names of all the books you've read...

Amazon.com

Type in a book title, click on it, then scroll down to the "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" section.

avatar
TheMasterKey
Elite
Elite

Posts : 731
Reputation : 30
Join date : 2012-12-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by MF! on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:28 am

squatty wrote:Hey wait a minute, is there any equivalent of IMDB or last.fm for book readers?
A website where you tell them the names of the books you've read, and they will suggest further reads for you based on your previous reading appetite?
I want it for a friend, personally I see it as a way of spying on citizens. they can smell what kind of person you are if they know the names of all the books you've read...

theres also goodreads.com and some people will post stuff on pintrest
avatar
MF!
Adept
Adept

Posts : 243
Reputation : 14
Join date : 2012-12-14

http://traceurversusbboy.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by Brahma Bill on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:14 pm

I've gotten some good reads from here
https://pinterest.com/elliotthulse/strong-heart-big-balls-brilliant-brain-reading-lis/
avatar
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Posts : 2247
Reputation : 92
Join date : 2012-12-01
Age : 54
Location : Norfolk, VA USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by TheMasterKey on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:51 am

MF! wrote:
TheMasterKey wrote:
MF! wrote:
TheMasterKey wrote:
And there was a line in the book that was actually used in an old rap song. Which is funny because I had always given that rapper alot of credit for that line.

you know me.... I'm curious about which line and who used it ... lol.

GZA - "Breaker, Breaker"

He says, "You break the mirror that reminds you of your ugliness."

Although in the translation I had of the book, the line is - "Many break the mirror that reminds them of their ugliness."

MF! wrote:PS: how are you reading books so fast??

I like to read. :mrgreen:

Hmm... I'd still give him credit for having read and found it influential enough to use it in a line. with the direction that rap is going lately im scared to know if kids know what a book is these days :silent:

By the way, did you catch Kendrick Lamar referenced a Burpee?
avatar
TheMasterKey
Elite
Elite

Posts : 731
Reputation : 30
Join date : 2012-12-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by MF! on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:00 am

TheMasterKey wrote:
By the way, did you catch Kendrick Lamar referenced a Burpee?

on that exercization!!

Just picked this up for a re-read. Will be good to re-visit Musashi.

avatar
MF!
Adept
Adept

Posts : 243
Reputation : 14
Join date : 2012-12-14

http://traceurversusbboy.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by Brahma Bill on Wed May 01, 2013 7:02 pm

MF! wrote:
TheMasterKey wrote:
By the way, did you catch Kendrick Lamar referenced a Burpee?

on that exercization!!

Just picked this up for a re-read. Will be good to re-visit Musashi.

Good call! I haven't read that one in at least 20 years.

Picked this up yesterday and literally couldn't put it down. Just finished it a moment ago. It was a hell of a fun read.
avatar
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Posts : 2247
Reputation : 92
Join date : 2012-12-01
Age : 54
Location : Norfolk, VA USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Thu May 02, 2013 2:46 am

Brahma Bill wrote:

Picked this up yesterday and literally couldn't put it down. Just finished it a moment ago. It was a hell of a fun read.

I read that one a few months ago. Loved it, like you said a fun read. Lots on interesting info on how the monks really train. And the culture shock stories were great stuff. If you haven't and you get a chance, check out "Iron and Silk" by Mark Salzman. Very good!
avatar
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Posts : 1989
Reputation : 86
Join date : 2012-12-01
Age : 53
Location : Kentucky, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by Brahma Bill on Thu May 02, 2013 8:37 am

Cheesedog wrote:
Brahma Bill wrote:

Picked this up yesterday and literally couldn't put it down. Just finished it a moment ago. It was a hell of a fun read.

I read that one a few months ago. Loved it, like you said a fun read. Lots on interesting info on how the monks really train. And the culture shock stories were great stuff. If you haven't and you get a chance, check out "Iron and Silk" by Mark Salzman. Very good!
I read that one a looong time ago. Also a great book.
avatar
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Posts : 2247
Reputation : 92
Join date : 2012-12-01
Age : 54
Location : Norfolk, VA USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by Bissen on Thu May 09, 2013 7:10 am

I don't really read (books). Like... ever.

BUT, one of my classes takes time to let us read for practice, so I bought no less than 5 books yesterday. Okay! 2 of them are manga - but the other three are actual books.

If I manage to finish one or more, I'mma be proud of myself





Happy reading! :zaru:
avatar
Bissen
Masterful
Masterful

Posts : 333
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2012-12-04
Age : 26
Location : Denmark

http://www.moarninjaplz.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by Brahma Bill on Sun May 19, 2013 9:27 am

"What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" Haruki Murakami

At first I wasn't sure about this one. But once I got into it I thoroughly enjoyed it.
avatar
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Posts : 2247
Reputation : 92
Join date : 2012-12-01
Age : 54
Location : Norfolk, VA USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by Bissen on Sun May 19, 2013 10:28 am

Yeah, Murakami is pretty good. Though, I've honestly only read one of his books. Oh, make that 1½! We had part of his new book in class (in Japanese, of course).
avatar
Bissen
Masterful
Masterful

Posts : 333
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2012-12-04
Age : 26
Location : Denmark

http://www.moarninjaplz.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by Brahma Bill on Mon May 20, 2013 7:53 am

Bissen wrote:Yeah, Murakami is pretty good. Though, I've honestly only read one of his books. Oh, make that 1½! We had part of his new book in class (in Japanese, of course).
I've never read any of his novels. Which one did you read?
avatar
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Posts : 2247
Reputation : 92
Join date : 2012-12-01
Age : 54
Location : Norfolk, VA USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by Bissen on Mon May 20, 2013 8:58 am

South of the Border, West of the Sun. It was a few years ago, and I recall thinking it was rather... strange.

I don't know the title of the one we had in class, but it was a little weird (but we were only given a few pages, so I can't really judge).
avatar
Bissen
Masterful
Masterful

Posts : 333
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2012-12-04
Age : 26
Location : Denmark

http://www.moarninjaplz.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by Fatman on Tue May 21, 2013 6:27 pm

Bissen wrote:South of the Border, West of the Sun. It was a few years ago, and I recall thinking it was rather... strange.

Several prominent Japanese novelists were influenced by the works of Kafka and Chekhov. I haven't read Murakami, but Kazuo Ishiguro (a professed admirer of Murakami) is certainly given to strangeness and surrealism in his novels.
avatar
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Posts : 312
Reputation : 24
Join date : 2013-02-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by Bissen on Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:20 am

I hear Murakami's "A Wild Sheep Hunt" (if I recall correctly) is quite... unique :P
avatar
Bissen
Masterful
Masterful

Posts : 333
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2012-12-04
Age : 26
Location : Denmark

http://www.moarninjaplz.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by Brahma Bill on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:38 pm

Finished "The Year of Living Biblically" by AJ Jacobs. The author spent a year attempting to follow every rule in the Bible as literally as possible. It was informative, thought provoking and absolutely hilarious.  A fun read.
avatar
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Posts : 2247
Reputation : 92
Join date : 2012-12-01
Age : 54
Location : Norfolk, VA USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:16 am

Bill, you and I must have the same taste in books. I read that one a year ago or so. As you said, fun and thought provoking.

Right now I'm reading "The Angels Of Our Better Nature: Why Violence Has Declined". It's a hefty tome (around 700 pages) so it'll take a while, but I'm enjoying it and recommend it to anyone who is into sociology and history.
avatar
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Posts : 1989
Reputation : 86
Join date : 2012-12-01
Age : 53
Location : Kentucky, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by Brahma Bill on Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:15 pm

Cheesedog wrote:Bill, you and I must have the same taste in books.  I read that one a year ago or so.  As you said, fun and thought provoking.

Right now I'm reading "The Angels Of Our Better Nature: Why Violence Has Declined".  It's a hefty tome (around 700 pages) so it'll take a while, but I'm enjoying it and recommend it to anyone who is into sociology and history.
I'll check it out.
Just finished "The Psychopath Test" Jon Rosnon. You'd like it (if you haven't read it already:laugh1: )
avatar
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Posts : 2247
Reputation : 92
Join date : 2012-12-01
Age : 54
Location : Norfolk, VA USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by Dave on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:37 pm

Brahma Bill wrote:Finished "The Year of Living Biblically" by AJ Jacobs. The author spent a year attempting to follow every rule in the Bible as literally as possible.

I don't always like when people try to take everything literally in a book where not everything is meant to be taken literally.  The Bible is loaded with passage, yes some literal, but also metaphorical, allegorical, and there is hyperbole, poetry, etc., and it's often highly misrepresented by those who have not taken the time (or exercised the intellectual honesty) to see the unified message presented as it is holistically presented.  Many critics also like to ignore that many tenets of the Old Law (which are often misrepresented by the same critics anyway) have been abrogated in the New Law.

End rant.
avatar
Dave
Admin
Admin

Posts : 7971
Reputation : 169
Join date : 2012-11-30
Age : 36
Location : Peterborough, Canada

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by Iliander on Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:18 am

Dave wrote:I don't always like when people try to take everything literally in a book where not everything is meant to be taken literally.  The Bible is loaded with passage, yes some literal, but also metaphorical, allegorical, and there is hyperbole, poetry, etc., and it's often highly misrepresented by those who have not taken the time (or exercised the intellectual honesty) to see the unified message presented as it is holistically presented.  Many critics also like to ignore that many tenets of the Old Law (which are often misrepresented by the same critics anyway) have been abrogated in the New Law.

End rant.
Not to mention, that the old testament is a heavily edited version of much older texts going back to the Sumerians.
avatar
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Posts : 2300
Reputation : 52
Join date : 2012-11-30
Age : 21
Location : Belgium

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by Brahma Bill on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:15 am

Dave wrote:
Brahma Bill wrote:Finished "The Year of Living Biblically" by AJ Jacobs. The author spent a year attempting to follow every rule in the Bible as literally as possible.

I don't always like when people try to take everything literally in a book where not everything is meant to be taken literally.  The Bible is loaded with passage, yes some literal, but also metaphorical, allegorical, and there is hyperbole, poetry, etc., and it's often highly misrepresented by those who have not taken the time (or exercised the intellectual honesty) to see the unified message presented as it is holistically presented.  Many critics also like to ignore that many tenets of the Old Law (which are often misrepresented by the same critics anyway) have been abrogated in the New Law.

End rant.

That was part of the point of the book. You'd like this one Dave.
avatar
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Posts : 2247
Reputation : 92
Join date : 2012-12-01
Age : 54
Location : Norfolk, VA USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by Dave on Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:48 pm

Bill, that sounds very interesting then!

Iliander wrote:Not to mention, that the old testament is a heavily edited version of much older texts going back to the Sumerians.

It depends on what version you are talking about.  Most new "translations" are not translations at all, but are paraphrased at best, and more often than not this is done to support some agenda.  But there are still extant copies of tomes such such as the Vulgate, which is textually and contextually pure.  From the Vulgate came the Douay Rheims (and I do not mean the Challoner revision thereof, though this is also acceptable, though a bit diluted in minor, non doctrinal ways), which was the first and is still the most accurate English Bible, published between 29 (NT, 1582) and 2 (OT, 1609) years before the KJV of 1611.
avatar
Dave
Admin
Admin

Posts : 7971
Reputation : 169
Join date : 2012-11-30
Age : 36
Location : Peterborough, Canada

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by Brahma Bill on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:44 pm

Dave wrote:Bill, that sounds very interesting then!

If you like, I can recommend a couple of books on the subject that will really piss you off. :eyebrows:
avatar
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Posts : 2247
Reputation : 92
Join date : 2012-12-01
Age : 54
Location : Norfolk, VA USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:27 am

Dave, why does it matter that some of the stories came from the Sumerians? Other than the names the principles behind the stories are identical, or nearly so. The religious impulse is universal.
avatar
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Posts : 1989
Reputation : 86
Join date : 2012-12-01
Age : 53
Location : Kentucky, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by Dave on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:54 am

Yes the religious impulse is universal, but I never said I agree the Bible is based on anything other than what it claims to be based on.
avatar
Dave
Admin
Admin

Posts : 7971
Reputation : 169
Join date : 2012-11-30
Age : 36
Location : Peterborough, Canada

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by itlives on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:40 am

It couldn't cost more to send a book through the mail than to buy it. Why don't you guys have a book sharing? It seems some your tastes run the same.
avatar
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Posts : 4244
Reputation : 162
Join date : 2012-11-30
Age : 61
Location : Shreveport Louisiana

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by 98poundweakling on Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:23 pm

Hi, guys! I'm reading a good one right now that I'm sure some will find controversial. The Cholesterol Myths, by Dr. Uffe Ravnskov. It's the old classic on the subject, subtitled: Exposing the Fallacy that Saturated Fat and Cholesterol Cause Heart Disease. Because of my heart problems, I am researching the subject in order to better choose my therapy. Very enlightening and a good read.

PS My Chinese herbal prescription is doing wonders to lower my triglycerides. I feel like there was never a problem. The problem for me now is dealing with the pressure from my doc who wants me on a couple of nasty western meds (bonus side effects included).
avatar
98poundweakling
Adept
Adept

Posts : 240
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2012-12-02
Age : 59
Location : Brookline, MA, US

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by Brahma Bill on Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:26 pm

itlives wrote:It couldn't cost more to send a book through the mail than to buy it. Why don't you guys have a book sharing? It seems some your tastes run the same.
I get all my books from the library. We have an ILL program (Inter Library Loan) so even if they don't have a book they can get it. I used to spend a ton of money at the bookstore, Barnes and Nobles stock price must have dropped 10% when I started back at the public library.

Sounds good Fr. Bon. I'll read that one
avatar
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Posts : 2247
Reputation : 92
Join date : 2012-12-01
Age : 54
Location : Norfolk, VA USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by itlives on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:23 pm

Library? What's that? :D 

Very smart, you are!
avatar
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Posts : 4244
Reputation : 162
Join date : 2012-11-30
Age : 61
Location : Shreveport Louisiana

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by Fatman on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:06 pm

Brahma Bill wrote:I used to spend a ton of money at the bookstore, Barnes and Nobles stock price must have dropped 10% when I started back at the public library.

Same here. Books were the only things I would spend money on without regret, as I'm notoriously tight-fisted with cash. So now I no longer have to feel spender's guilt. Also I no longer have to give books away when I move, or lug them around (they take up space and are very heavy for their size).
avatar
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Posts : 312
Reputation : 24
Join date : 2013-02-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by Journeyman on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:33 pm

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/2013/07/my-top-10-books-about-strength-training.html

:mrgreen: 
avatar
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Posts : 2159
Reputation : 102
Join date : 2012-12-24

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by Brahma Bill on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:24 pm

Fatman wrote:
Brahma Bill wrote:I used to spend a ton of money at the bookstore, Barnes and Nobles stock price must have dropped 10% when I started back at the public library.

Same here. Books were the only things I would spend money on without regret, as I'm notoriously tight-fisted with cash. So now I no longer have to feel spender's guilt. Also I no longer have to give books away when I move, or lug them around (they take up space and are very heavy for their size).

From '97 - 2005' I moved seven times. I caught a lot of crap for the number of boxes of books I had :D 
I donated the whole lot to the library about 5 years ago.

Journeyman wrote:http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/2013/07/my-top-10-books-about-strength-training.html

:mrgreen: 
Thanks for the list. Subbed to the Blog as well
avatar
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Posts : 2247
Reputation : 92
Join date : 2012-12-01
Age : 54
Location : Norfolk, VA USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Books - What are YOU reading?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum