PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Pure Bodyweight

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pure Bodyweight

Post by johnnyD on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:56 pm

I was wondering if anyone here only does pure bodyweight routines or using minimal equipment. If so for what reason, ideological, beneficial, practical, economic etc.
I have moved back a little myself from a practical point of view especially core and upper body are pretty easy to just use bodyweight. Equipment definitely supplement full body and lower body routines.
johnnyD
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Re: Pure Bodyweight

Post by Journeyman on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:17 pm

I did for a long time. The main benefit was economic. And, I'm good at some things now that I might not have been if I moved on to weights sooner.
You'll definitely be limited in some ways if you go bodyweight-only, though. Choosing that because of ideology would be fairly close minded as well as short sighted, imo. You might get some practical health benefits from sticking solely to bodyweight if you're older, I guess.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:34 pm

Journeyman wrote: You might get some practical health benefits from sticking solely to bodyweight if you're older, I guess.

Older than what? :P

Even though I've only recently started with weights (other than my weight vest), I really like how I feel since doing some free weights!
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:42 pm

Too old to lift heavy without pains, which for those who've trained steadily and have no physical issues/few injuries, might not be until their 80s...
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:19 pm

Some people are almost pure calisthenics but add a lil thing extra.
Coming to this forum, well BWC, made me realise that I cant stick to one thing and be well rounded. doing a bunch of different things that I enjoy will be better for me overall than doing one thing. I really enjoy calisthenics, more than weights at the moment, but by doing a lil bit of weights will help me. So i use kettlebells to aid my BW stuff, Thanks to this forum i have an open mind now But basically what J-man said in his first post. I think bw stuff is good for building a strong base while i'm young. i hope to do strongman stuff one day, but first i wanna master CC.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:56 pm

Journeyman wrote:Too old to lift heavy without pains, which for those who've trained steadily and have no physical issues/few injuries, might not be until their 80s...

Yeah, I fit into can't lift heavy category. Pains do have something to do with it, too. And injuries over the years.
I see what you mean J-man.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Instant_Karotte on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:02 pm

I'll go for BWEs only (well, most of the time). Reasons are my kneecaps which are not where they should be and the fact that I'm fascinated of the thought that you can work up to a solid base of strength with BW only. My equipment consists of EXF rings, a pullup bar and pushup bars.
And For me it's more practical, I can work out wherever I am. At the moment I don't have access to a proper gym, so it's in fact the only possibilty I have left without buying equipment.

Instant_Karotte
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnyD on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:41 pm

My own take on it is that BWE are a great place to start and there are great progressions that can be made with just pure BW. If you use pull up bars and rings it could be argued that you are moving away from pure BWE anyway. I built a set of pull up bars and put a some rings on and that set me back close to £100 which did include some tools but I could have picked up a set of cheap weights and other equipment for that.
My own personal experience shows me that using weights, kettlebells and slam balls definitely help to bring improvements in strength, flexibility and technique.
I am also aware that if I had nothing that would be still be enough to get fit and stay fit.
johnnyD
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:45 am

I have in the past for a few cycles here and there, I think it's a good change of pace for your body to get away from heavy weights for a while. When I would go back the weights would feel good again and most of the body aches would be gone.
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Instant_Karotte on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:55 pm

@cheesedog:
That's what I experienced. I trained with weights for 3 months, worked up to squats and deadlifts with more than my BW for reps. No need to say that I couldn't walk after the workouts and needed more than three or four days to recover. At first it felt great, but over time I felt exhausted and my motivation was gone... With Bw only I need 2 days to recover and I'm (most of the time :mrgreen: ) not afraid that i'll throw up during a set.

Instant_Karotte
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:28 pm

If you had to take 3-4 days to recover after doing sq/dl with only 'more than bodyweight' something is wrong... I've done squats or DL 3 days a week before.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:50 pm

Well it depends on what kind of volume he used. If, for example, I did 225 x 10 x 10, I imagine would be pretty much dead for a few days, I'm sure. In the squat that is. Deadlift might be another story.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:23 pm

'Worked up to sq/dl with more than my bodyweight for reps' doesn't sound like he was banging out 10x10, but that's just me.... I could be wrong though. What sort of volume were you using karotte?
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Instant_Karotte on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:14 pm

3 x 12 for Squats and deadlifts, at some days 3 x 12 plus 1x 7. But 10 x 10? Never ever. With the volume I used 80kg felt pretty tough at a BW of 63kg... :cry:
sometimes I tried to squat after only one day off and after a few reps there was no power left for more.

Maybe bad nutriotional habits? To early too much weight? I don't really know, I was more focused on technique than on proper programming :scaredy:

Instant_Karotte
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:47 pm

Ramping to a top set generally > multiple straight sets with the same weight/reps. 3x12 with straight weight on both squat and DL, 3x weekly, probably would just wear you out without making you much stronger.
Quite possibly you did try to add weight too soon. And yeah, you have to make sure recovery is really dialed in.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:55 am

Journeyman wrote:Ramping to a top set generally > multiple straight sets with the same weight/reps. 3x12 with straight weight on both squat and DL, 3x weekly, probably would just wear you out without making you much stronger.

They still groove the lifts though, which is important too. So while I would never limit myself to that rep scheme alone, I would certainly not discard it altogether and would even make a full cycle of it now an again, as I did with snatch grip deads. Mind you I only did it 1-2 times per week, though I could certainly have pushed a little harder.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:09 am

You'd get just as much groove practice doing 3x12 ramping up, I would think.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:18 am

I'm not saying you couldn't do it that way, but 3 x 12 at one weight worked very well for me. If I were ramping up I would have wanted to do more sets or even turn it into a pyramid in order to make up for the reduced intensity with added volume. That's just how my mind works anyway.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:44 am

I've done straight sets too, using nearly 50 total reps with one weight (4x12) on that deadlift program I mentioned. There's nothing wrong with it but I only did that once weekly. If you were to do the exact same thing three times weekly you'd have to use a super light weight because you'd be limited by both frequency and volume. 155x12x4 sets once weekly might have to be reduced to 135 or even lower if you were to do it thrice weekly.

Ramping to a top set does not reduce the intensity. If you think about it, straight sets really only have you doing one working set. If I can do 4x12 with a weight the first 3 are really just providing extra fatigue; which can be useful for groove or just more total work with a certain weight, but not in terms of intensity. Ramping to a top set drastically increases the work you can do in your last set. Instead of 155x12x4 sets you could do warmup sets then 185 or 195x12... much more useful in most cases. So it's actually the same intensity (one real work set) but with a higher weight. More volume can be added with backoff sets after the top set or other lifts.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:10 am

^ = Pure lucidity.
Dave
Admin
Admin