PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

BW+dumbells for strength

View previous topic View next topic Go down

BW+dumbells for strength

Post by raver on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:20 pm

Hi all :)

As I was saying in my log, I am starting to add 3 sessions of strength training for every week. I would like to ask you for your help in designing my first program.

Now, first what I have:
- my bodyweight (d'oh!)
- 2 dumbells 10Kg each
- a very weird schedule. Why do I say this? Because even if I WANT to do 3 sessions a week, I'm very sure I'll only do 2 quite a lot. First, I am not sure how my body will feel in the next weeks handling my krav maga classes and strength training. Secondly, I have a very hectic schedule, mostly due to some travelling and a lot of partying :D Please, don't judge.

So, I'm thinking of having a PUSH and a PULL session, with extra stuff in the third session. What I would like is to hit every muscle in my body. The Holy Graal now is "How to do that?"

Here is what I am thinking, please correct me and add :)

PUSH Session
- HandStands
- Upper body work using mechanical advantage going from hardest position to easiest.
Right now this means:
- Elevated Pike pushups, Pike pushups, Regular Pushups.
Now, these work mostly the shoulder muscles (first two) and to some extent triceps, chest (I tend to flare out my elbows constantly) and core, but not enough.
So I'm thinking of adding to it a set of:
- Dips for triceps
- wide pushups for chest
- planks for core.

PULL Session
- Hanging (not sure yet if to do this with hands fully extended or slightly bent)
- Pullups (Most probably negatives) + Chin-ups (negatives) + rows
This takes care of the back, biceps and to some extent chest and core
Now, I'm gonna add in this session leg work, which to tell you the truth, I'm not sure what to do yet.
I lack the mobility to do Pistols, yet regular squats are too easy for strength training.
I'm looking for exercises which I can only do in the 6-8 range.

IF I can do the third session also, it will be focused on core work and grip strength.

Did I miss anything? :)

raver
Accomplished
Accomplished

Back to top Go down

Re: BW+dumbells for strength

Post by Dave on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:30 pm

Some ideas for you:

PUSH Session
- HandStands
- Upper body work using mechanical advantage going from hardest position to easiest. - um.. what?
- Elevated Pike pushups, Pike pushups, Regular Pushups.
- Dips for triceps and chest
- wide pushups for chest
- planks for core. - Excellent choice

PULL Session
- Hanging (not sure yet if to do this with hands fully extended or slightly bent)
- Pullups (Most probably negatives) + Chin-ups (negatives) + rows
Shrimp Squats, Jumping Lunges, Tuck Jumps, Squat Jumps, Hot Potato Squats, Cossack Lunges, etc. Add weight where needed.

IF I can do the third session also, it will be focused on core work and grip strength.
Ab wheel rollouts, Side Planks, Superman Planks, aka extended planks, one arm planks, one arm one leg planks, Hanging Leg Raises, Knee to Elbows, Hanging Wipers, Bridges of all kinds, Towel Pullups, Hangs for time, etc.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by raver on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:35 pm

Dave.cyco wrote:
- Upper body work using mechanical advantage going from hardest position to easiest. - um.. what?
This: http://www.bodyweightcoach.com/02/push-up-workout/

Thanks Dave! There are a few there which I haven't heard about and will start researching them!

raver
Accomplished
Accomplished

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:38 pm

Got it. Pretty good way to build an all around pressing foundation actually. Throw in some one hand high one hand low pushups, typewriter pushups and the like and you'll be laughing... after the pain subsides. :face:
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top