PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Aches & Pains

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Aches & Pains

Post by trainingforlife on Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:09 pm

I thought I would start this thread because I am having one of them days where everything seams to ache. When I say aches and pains I don't mean sore from training I mean just over all aches and pains like sprains, tears, and joint issues. What aches and pains do you have?

Aches & Pains-in order of worse to least
both shoulder joints(every day almost all day long)
both elbows left on the outside, right on the inside (off and on depends on what I am doing)
right ankle (sometimes)
over all fatigue and tired muscles (over training or not enough sleep)

For people that do 100% body weight exercise training do you have little or more pain the people that lift weights?

trainingforlife
Masterful
Masterful

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoK7PpW9-MZvpiFtiuYVtLg

Back to top Go down

Re: Aches & Pains

Post by ccheatum on Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Man, it sounds like you are in a bad way. If that stuff is from overtraining, then you need a break. If that is from the rest of life catching up with you, then you need to take stock of why these injuries are happening and consider what you can do to address imbalances and reduce inflammation.

As for the relative effects of bodyweight vs pressing/pulling other types of weight, my experience is that you can hurt yourself either way. It may be a little easier to do yourself damage with heavy weights, but a poor plan can lead to problems even if you are just dealing with your own bodyweight. There is no magic and no replacement for a thoughtful approach to training.
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:34 pm

Well said CC.

ZaZ (can I still call you ZaZ - or TFL?), I used to get pretty sore when I did hindu squats every day. And now I actually get LESS sore when I do heavy squats at least 2-3 times per week and even on days when I've done heavy squats 6 days out of the week I am not sore.

Of course, it would be beneficial to take L-Glutamine if you don't already, twice a day or so, and especially within 30 minutes before and after doing any exercise to prevent the breakdown of bodily tissues. I can't say enough good about glutamine...
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:46 pm

A lot of it may be nutritional. There is a school of thought that says consuming a lot of grains leads to inflamation. Try cutting all grains from your diet and see if it helps. It works for me.
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Aha good advice Bill! I too have largely restricted my grain intake. No bread, no pasta, the only thing I still with any frequency eat is oatmeal, and even this not too often anymore. When I was doing all those hindu squats, I WAS a grain hound though.

Very good comment Bill.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:53 pm

All part of my personal crusade against the White Death! :zerk:
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by trainingforlife on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:54 pm

Dave-Yes ZaZen is just fine. I have heard the same thing about cutting grain to reduce joint pains. Maybe there is truth to them words? I thought about lowing the heavy weights and doing more BW to relieve some stress on the joints.

trainingforlife
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:04 pm

Brahma Bill wrote:All part of my personal crusade against the White Death! :zerk:

I am with you on that crusade! I have cut way back on anything with any kind of processed grain or sugar, and I feel so much better. Itis amazing what that stuff does to mess us up in ways we don't even realize!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:23 am

I also cut back on the sugar completely and processed grain mostly.

Fish-oil for my elbow joints has really helped. Take 2-3 g every day and increase to 4-5 g if feeling a little sore, especially after higher volume workouts.
Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:09 am

Let's see, what hurts?

I'll start at the bottom and work up.

LEFT BIG TOE: Every single step for the last several months. I searched for and found MASSIVE knots in left calf, I've been rolling them out and it's very slowly getting better. However, a hurt toe messes up your stride, which leads to...
BOTH KNEES: some days pretty bad, some days stiffness, some days pretty good, it's a crap shoot. Mobility, stretching the hip flexors, and foam rolling the IT band helps.

LEFT HAND: in the ball of my thumb, the chiro says it's capsulitis, which just means an inflamed joint capsule. I've tried numerous things for it but nothing seems to do much. Heat helps a bit so does working a couple of trigger points so that's been my focus.

But the main one is tendonitis in my left elbow. Had it for several years and it never really goes away, but foam rolling the tricep and forearm trigger points and stretching the tri's and wrists helps.

I guess it sounds like a lot, but it's not. I was reading about a strongman competitor who has some rare disease that is slowly turning his connective tissue into BONE and he still trains and competes. It is slowly killing him and he still trains and competes. So I don't complain. I can't seem to find the link otherwise I'd post it, it was an incredible read.
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:30 am

was it morbus bechterew?
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:01 pm

Count our blessings, eh?
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:12 pm

I decided, to try this out myself as well:
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:24 pm

Good call!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Healthy Grains...

Post by 98poundweakling on Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:30 pm

Hi, guys! Another word on grains, if I may. I might not get this exactly right, but you'll get the gist of it.

First of all, I don't think we need a lot a grains in our diets.

Next, grains contain phytotoxins, which need to be neutralized before consumption. That is done by a souring/fermenting process, like the way grandma used to make bread with a starter, letting the dough sit (at least) overnight. The modern mantra of "whole grains are better for you" is not quite correct. Even white sourdough bread is more nutritious for you than whole grain non-fermented bread. A grain or seed is designed to grow into a big, healthy plant. One of its methods is to draw nutrients to itself. When we eat untreated grains, they pass through us robbing us of zinc, magnesium and I don't know how many other minerals.

For treating your breakfast oatmeal: Measure out what you will use the night before and soak in water with a TBSP or so of a souring agent: Vinegar, yogurt, kefir or lemon juice. Next morning it will also cook up in no time.

Eating well and preparing nutritious food takes a little more time and a lot more thought than the general (American) public gives it these days. Lots of useful ideas and info can be found at the Weston Price Foundation for Wise Traditions in Food, Farming and the Healing Arts website.

Hope this helps you as it has helped me.
98poundweakling
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Wrong place? Off Topic?

Post by 98poundweakling on Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:48 pm

I guess I could have posted my grainy ideas (of the previous post) in the nutrition section. Oh, well!
98poundweakling
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by trainingforlife on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:06 pm

I am taking ProCosa by USANA...As for no grain,day one is in the books!

Last edited by trainingforlife on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

trainingforlife
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:25 pm

98poundweakling wrote:I guess I could have posted my grainy ideas (of the previous post) in the nutrition section. Oh, well!

Just call me Genie!
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:25 am

98 has it exactly right. I know when I avoid grains/gluten I feel tons better.
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:54 am

trainingforlife wrote:I am taking ProCosa by USANA...As for no grain,day one is in the books!

How are you finding the Procosa? I've heard good things about USANA products.
Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:59 am

Took glutamine the first time yesterday, have awful DOMS - or is it tensions, that are releasing?
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:32 am

how is the opinion on potatoes? safe starches?
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:35 am

“Safe starches” such as potatoes (especially sweet potatoes) and other starchy tubers are therefore a perfectly acceptable element of a healthy, evolutionarily-based diet for someone with no (or few) metabolic problems. For athletes or anyone else who performs relatively large amounts of intense exercises, dietary carbohydrates are essential to performance and general well-being. If you feel better eating a moderate amount of carbohydrates, enjoy them without fear.

from http://paleodietlifestyle.com/eat-your-starches-why-safe-starches-are-healthy/
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Fat belly dog on Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:33 am

I think potatoes are fine, along with rice. Check out nutritional profile and they have something like 20 of the 22 essential amino acids that the body uses to build and repair cells. They are a simple starch that gets easily converted to glucose which the body uses for fuel.

If your interested in more details I suggest you sign up to Ray Cronsie blog and read his posts on protein, carbs and fats. Interesting science behind how the body converts each of these energy sources to fuel the body.

http://hypothermics.com/category/blog/

Fat belly dog
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:45 am

thank you, very much appreciated
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:30 am

I fall victim to the over-carbed diet. My joints feel better after limiting carbs.

My hurts-
Right shoulder -which I pronounced healed not too long ago, still flairs up with over-use. (Check out my workout log from yesterday for overuse :P )
Neck- from my porch falling on it in a storm -can't do much about trama induced arthritis.
Left knee- Roller skating and kung-fu did a job on it.
Other than that, I'm good to go. I am very blessed to have a body with so little pain at my age, considering all the stuff I'm done to it! :cheers:
I've totaled two cars, been shot (in the leg), fell out of a tree (on my face- no jokes go here -Lol). Been in more fights than I can remember -thank God I made it out of my twenties!
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:45 am

^^^^^^^^ouch...on your face...man...that must have left a mark.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:54 pm

inka_warrior wrote:^^^^^^^^ouch...on your face...man...that must have left a mark.

Have you seen my face? Life has left it's marks. That's ok, real men don't need to look good :toothy: At least, that's what I tell my wife!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:45 pm

itlives wrote:
inka_warrior wrote:^^^^^^^^ouch...on your face...man...that must have left a mark.

Have you seen my face? Life has left it's marks. That's ok, real men don't need to look good :toothy: At least, that's what I tell my wife!

:facepalm: :toothy:
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:18 pm

I'm feeling like put through the mangle today.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:58 pm

Avocadoshake wrote:I'm feeling like put through the mangle today.

What's going on? DOMS? coming down with something?
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:18 pm

inka_warrior wrote:
Avocadoshake wrote:I'm feeling like put through the mangle today.

What's going on? DOMS? coming down with something?

Could it be, the glutamine I started to take yesterday, is releasing tight muscle tissue?
Or the altered bach flowers, I take since yesterday. I exchanged honeysuckle rose for larch, wich should release tension as well. Maybe it's just a cold, creeping up here in winter wonderland, but THAT usually feels different.

Last edited by Avocadoshake on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:19 pm

Oh man...well swings will cure that.... :twisted:
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:26 pm

Maybe it's age related :) ...just saying...
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:31 pm

itlives wrote:Maybe it's age related :) ...just saying...
I defy that! :beardy: :boxer:
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:34 pm

Me too! Every dang day!! We are brothers from another continent!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:39 pm

Maybe it's really related to the glutamine. My whole body looks pumped and almost swollen. Pecs are peeking out like breasts - just saying. Only did my 100 swings and loaded carries today in the morning and a walk with the stroller in the afternoon. 1.5 g glutamine yesterday and today.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 pm

well is that good for you? is that what is supposed to happen?
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:21 am

Avocadoshake wrote:Took glutamine the first time yesterday, have awful DOMS - or is it tensions, that are releasing?

Let me say this: I take a powdered glutamine in water. I take it within 30 minutes of exercise, before and after. Its recovery properties as such include preventing DOMS, at least for me. Hope this helps.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GreekPT on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:59 pm

Well how about a little verbiage on relieving some of those aches and pains? This is from a cyclist gal on a bike racing message board to which I subscribe, not my own experiences, but I think I'm going to look into this turmeric stuff for more than cooking.

First, it was in response to this article which says you may want to put down that bottle of ibuprofen:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/05/for-athletes-risks-from-ibuprofen-use/?src=me&ref=general

"In the interest of sharing something a few folks might find useful, I found something far far better than prescription strength ibuprofen of 600 mgs, with which I used to have an intimate relationship for over a year straight, taking 2-3 times a day = up to 1800 mgs :( .
Try Turmeric. I take a little over 3 tsp daily w/pinch of piperine, which is basically black pepper, and it stops inflammation/pain in-its-tracks. Sure as hell wish I'd tried this decades earlier (I'd tried practically everything else, and was rather burnt on "magical" potions and powders by the time I heard of turmeric, which is why I kept putting it off).
I use organic bulk turmeric and piperine from Whole Foods - there seems to be a difference between the organics - as I tried three brands, one at a time. The bulk, by Frontier, is the most effective for me. I pour it on salmon after I bake it, so I don't cook the turmeric. From all that I've read, the piperine and also fish oils help turmeric absorption, as normally, turmeric gets digested rapidly in the gut. I had found raw kale a year or so ago, and I found that kale made a pretty huge difference in inflammation for me (folks w/thyroid issues might have issues w/raw kale as it is supposed to inhibit the uptake of iodine in folks with certain thyroid conditions - but if you cook it, supposed to inactivate that problematic active ingred.). Anyway, since I added the turmeric to the kale, as well, that combo is like an atom bomb to inflammation, anywhere in the body. I thought it was all hype, but it turns out, it isn't hyped enough lol. I've experienced other fantastic benefits from eating raw kale and turmeric daily, as well, which I won't go into. Anyway, I could have saved my poor kidney a lot of damage from Vit I, and apparently, my gut too...and my knees.
Btw, brush your teeth after turmeric - it's a dye. Very few things that turmeric is contraindicated for - easy to find that info: such as, not good for some folks with damaged heart tissue, certain cancers (though for others, certain research has shown it to be beneficial), and you also want to stop it before surgeries, because it thins blood.
Lastly, some relatively recent, and seemingly not insignificant, turmeric research seems to show promise for Alzheimers."

GreekPT
Wanted for Chococide
Wanted for Chococide

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:07 pm

Interesting. I use turmeric in my food quite often, and a lot of it when I do. And I mix it with pepper. I heard about its alleged antioxidant value, but never thought about the anti-inflammatory correlation. This probably has a lot to do with my good recovery when I was squatting heavy every day. I was eating a lot of fish and turmeric.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:12 pm

Awesome post Phil. I'll look into it. I generally avoid drugs of any kind and medicate with herbs, but I can't seem to get away from taking Ibuprofen a couple of times a week. I thought I was pretty knowledgeable, but I haven't heard of this use for tumeric before. Ibuprofen is just as hard on the liver as drinking liqour and I'd love to get away from it.
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:48 pm

I guess I'm going to have to start eating a big bowl of kale and turmeric every day from now on. :eat1:
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:05 am

Ditto! I like kale quite a bit actually - cooked that is.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fat belly dog on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:00 am

I tried Tumeric capsules a while ago for sciatica pain. Didn't do anything for me. Might have to start eating it in its powder/paste form

Fat belly dog
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:49 am

Dave.cyco wrote:Ditto! I like kale quite a bit actually - cooked that is.
blend a leaf in your shake
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:50 pm

The suggestion of soaking the next days cereal in a fermenting agent will be tried tonight. I found a 10 grain cereal that is very hearty but takes 15 minutes to cook. Could save energy as well as time by soaking!
Tried to post a pic of it but it wouldn't go -IDKW
Anyway, it's Bob's Red Mill 10 grain hot cereal.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:03 pm

soaking millet over night? keep us posted, how it turns out.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:37 pm

Avocadoshake wrote:
Dave.cyco wrote:Ditto! I like kale quite a bit actually - cooked that is.
blend a leaf in your shake

I would if I consumed shakes.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by musems on Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:09 pm

itlives wrote:The suggestion of soaking the next days cereal in a fermenting agent will be tried tonight. I found a 10 grain cereal that is very hearty but takes 15 minutes to cook. Could save energy as well as time by soaking!
Tried to post a pic of it but it wouldn't go -IDKW
Anyway, it's Bob's Red Mill 10 grain hot cereal.

Most cultures also soak their rice for a time before cooking.
I did some oats soaked overnight in a small bit of water + yogurt over the summer and they were pretty enjoyable with a few fresh berries and cinnamon added in the morning.

musems
Novice
Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top