PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Need some Exercise(s) Advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Need some Exercise(s) Advice

Post by NewbGuru on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:29 am

So I've recently come across some money and am going to be buying the only 2 things that are preventing me from working out now; pull-up bar (for full range of exercises) and some WHEY for protein (no diet plan for this poor guy). I plan on eating more for boosted calories so that I have energy and I already drink little but water with the occasional exception. Unfortunately, I don't know what muscle groups I should incorporate into my Mon/Wed/Fri plan and how many/what exercises to put there, so that's where you come in PhysicalCulture community, if you could help me out on that it'd be a big help. And to be sure, I'm not asking for a super personalized plan just the exercises that an intermediate, or regular body weight exerciser, would optimally do to build/maintain their full body (core, chest, back, legs, arms). Doesn't have to be varied just concise and efficient, any help is appreciated.

For; Mon/Wed/Fri +Soon to be jogging with friends for some conditioning
Needed; # and types of exercises to perform on each recommended muscle group
Plan; 5x5 or 3x7 sets for the first "conditioning week" then increments upon those or 1:00 (starting) starting isometrics
Urgency; Somewhat soon if you guys can help me out, I want to start exercising so I have between 3-6 months between now and my senior year, wanna make a change before I go back so I can start fresh and enjoy it.

P.S. - Thanks to former Iliander/Dave.Cyco, appreciate the redirect.

NewbGuru
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Re: Need some Exercise(s) Advice

Post by Dave on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:46 am

The real question is what are your specific goals? Are you looking for strength? Size? Endurance? Explosiveness? General physical preparedness? Also, we need to know your abilities to be able to make our answers relevant? How many pushups can you do? BW squats? Pullups?

And before you answer, see if you can find a little useful information in this section:

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com/f15-training-articles-and-resources

All that said, you can't really go wrong with the basics: pullups, dips, squats, pushups, planks and bridges. Nice and simple, but highly effective.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:48 am

NewbGuru wrote:appreciate the redirect.

No problem. Would hate to see you wandering around that old ghost ship all by your lonesome. ;)
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:01 am

What are your physical capabilities? How many pull-ups, dips, and squats?

You could use the following basic split:

Mon - upper + isolated core work
Tue - lower
Wed - upper
Thu - lower + isolated core work
Fri - upper
Sat - lower
Sun - rest

An example of a progression list for chest:

#1 - Push-up
#2 - Decline Push-up (decline = body horizontal in starting position) / Diamond Push-up
#3 - Decline Diamond Push-up / *Roller Push-up / Dip
#4 - Decline Roller Push-up / Single Bar Dip
#5 - etc.

*Place your hands on 2 dumbbells with loose collars (they must roll) and start doing a push-up while rolling the 2 dumbbells to the sides until your upper arms are parallel to the floor and there is a 90 degree angle in your elbow joint. Then squeeze and push back up.

Does that work for you?

EDIT: Was posting at the same time as Dave.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by NewbGuru on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:09 am

Great suggestions guys, thanks! My goals right now are strength and a bit of size, that's why I thought of doing my rep exercises in 3x7's or 5x5's to get a bit of both into it. I figure with my low muscle mass and bodyweight that even if I were to go pure strength minded I'll still gain a decent few pounds of muscle in the first 3 months assuming I stick to my plan, protein, and increase calorie consumption. So by going towards strength and slightly into the size range of sets/reps I'm assuming it won't make much of a difference doing those as opposed to maybe 5x3's for pure strength or something. I guess I could summarize it as reaching the normal bodyweight for my size, 5" 8 1/2', so that when I get there I'll be just as strong if not stronger than most kids there too, like above average. Then I hope to continue on to maybe the 160-170lb range if I'm able. Haven't started though so I'm trying not to get ahead of myself yet >.>

As for my capabilities I'm underweight at 120-125lb so I can usually do a few pullups (I like the idea of close-grip chins) usually 10ish, can do up to about 20 pushups at a time, maybe 30 it's been awhile, I can do like 20ish squats before my legs go to jello (chicken legs v_v lol), and my core is to the point where I can barely force a full minute plank and it feels like hell-fire when I do.

As for your suggestions I like them all, I'll remember those basic exercises Dave and I like that weekly plan/progression idea Iliander. When I start I'll probably start off with a week of the hardest variations of those basic types of exercises as you (Dave) mentioned and try to move on to a harder one every week after like you described (Iliander). If it wouldn't be too much trouble could I get a few variations set linear to difficulty of an exercise of each group? (chest, back, arms, core front/back, legs, neck as I think I'm getting from you guys) Thanks again so far though!

NewbGuru
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:05 am

You'll gain a good amount of muscle with the 5x5 and 3x7 as long as your diet includes a lot of eggs and milk. :mrgreen:

NewbGuru wrote:As for your suggestions I like them all, I'll remember those basic exercises Dave and I like that weekly plan/progression idea Iliander. When I start I'll probably start off with a week of the hardest variations of those basic types of exercises as you (Dave) mentioned and try to move on to a harder one every week after like you described (Iliander). If it wouldn't be too much trouble could I get a few variations set linear to difficulty of an exercise of each group? (chest, back, arms, core front/back, legs, neck as I think I'm getting from you guys) Thanks again so far though!
No problem!

Some ideas:

LEGS:
#0 - Squat
#1 - Lunge
#2 - Bulgarian Lunge
#3 - One Leg Squat
#4 - Pistol Squat
#5 - ATG Pistol Squat
#6 - ATG Pistol Jump Squat
#7 - etc.

CHEST:
#0 - ...
#1 - Push-up
#2 - Decline Push-up / Diamond Push-up
#3 - Decline Diamond Push-up / Roller Push-up / Dip
#4 - Decline Roller Push-up / Single Bar Dip
#5 - Chest Rollout / Hip Push-up
#6 - Decline Chest Rollout / Decline Hip Push-up / Tuck Planche Push-up
#7 - etc.

BACK:
#0 - ...
#1 - ...
#2 - Row
#3 - Decline Row
#4 - Pull-up
#5 - Tuck Front Lever Row
#6 - Adv. Tuck Front Lever Row
#7 - etc.

ABS:
#0 - Sit-up / Plank
#1 - Lying Leg Raise / Decline Plank
#2 - Hanging Knee Raise / Tuck L-sit
#3 - Hanging Leg Raise / One Leg L-sit / Kneeling Ab Rollout
#4 - Hanging V-raise / L-sit
#5 - Full Hanging Leg Raise / V-sit
#6 - Dragon Flag
#7 - etc.

LOW BACK:
#0 - Superman / Inverted Plank
#1 - etc.

For biceps and triceps you could do bodyweight triceps extensions and bodyweight biceps curls.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:26 am

Welcome newb! With your abilities and the suggestions already given, you should be able to challenge yourself.
I suggest writing down (here too) your workouts in a notebook with date, reps, sets and times. You will undoubtedly have some great workouts to which you'll want to go back . When traveling (or teaching) it's nice to have a hard copy at your finger tips. Mine are called the books of pain.
I look forward to seeing your progress!

itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:59 pm

Yes do create a training log and post it up in our training log section. It is scientifically proven to increase your gains by eleventy-one percent.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NewbGuru on Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:29 am

Yeah, once I start I will. I guess I'll go with M-Upper/T-Lower/W-Upper/T-Lower/F-Upper/S-Lower/S-Rest for the first week with jogging somewhat frequently. My exercises being; Arms; 3x7 Dips, 3x7 incline diamond push-ups, Legs; 5x5 Squats, Jogging, Neck;30s Bridge, Back/Sides; 3x7 Chin-ups, 3x7 Horizontal Pull, 3x7 hanging knee twists (Left-right=1), Core; 30s Plank, 30s L. side plank, 30s R. side plank. Upper Day - Arms, Neck, Back with Lower Day - Core Legs. In case I forget later and for reference. Thoughts?

NewbGuru
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:28 am

Rep ranges have very little to do with whether you gain strength as opposed to size.
This is a good thing, though, for you, as you won't be able to adjust the resistance in small increments if you're going bodyweight-only. So 3x7 might become 3x10 and then 4-5x10 and then 2-3x15 or whatever, then move onto the next harder exercise variant.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:51 am

Psssst, NewbGuru, download the free pdf of convict conditioning :p that could help you out Like Journeyman said, reps dont mean nothing really, alsong as your progressing, and progressively overloading your muscles, you will gain size and strength, THEORY OF ADAPTION. keep things simple and work hard, dont need a million exercises, just the few essential ones to begin with :) CC could help you with that, has a good structure to it and tells you when and how to progress.

EDIT: Take a look at this my friend... (save the image to view it better)

Spoiler:

Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:43 pm

FYI: that pic is low res and will not look any better if you save it. :no:
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:32 pm

owwww :( well you can google it. CC progression. one of the first pics.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by NewbGuru on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:07 am

See, I downloaded CC pdf a while ago and it's not really exercises that I'm lacking and equipment isn't really a problem, maybe a few months but I'll have it. I just don't know whether or not these plans I make will actually work, I mean this site and the old BWC forums are overflowing with exercises and exercise trends and info but for all the people I see posting their exercises/routines and everything I hardly ever see anyone posting their results, and usually when they do the exercises/routines are missing! I'm just looking for the most efficient and simple routine I can that'll definitely give me gains if I stick with it and within a somewhat forseeable timeframe (since everyone's different of course). With that in mind I suppose it wouldn't hurt to switch to a Mon-Sat routine vs MWF one, and I guess I'll just go with 5x5 at first and ramp it up from there every time I retrain a muscle group and the CC structure seems pretty legit so I suppose I'll go with training those groups. I'm just stuck at which exercises to put there, maybe s5 or s7 ones. What results have you guys had? And thanks for all the help :D

NewbGuru
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:22 am

He is right, a bit more sharing on outcome could be beneficial. I do reviews of my training and progression, but we could do more before/after pictures, couldn't we?
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMasterKey on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:39 am

NewbGuru wrote:I'm just looking for the most efficient and simple routine I can that'll definitely give me gains if I stick with it and within a somewhat forseeable timeframe (since everyone's different of course).

Welcome to the site. I say the following with the intention to help...

Your first post in this thread was a week ago, but you still haven't worked out?

You could have already made a week of progress.

The routine that works is the routine you will actually do.

Here's a video of a 60 year old man who's routine is pushups, pullups, and dips.

Get started TODAY putting in work. ANY work.

In time, all the pieces will fall in place.
TheMasterKey
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:52 am

NewbGuru wrote:See, I downloaded CC pdf a while ago and it's not really exercises that I'm lacking and equipment isn't really a problem, maybe a few months but I'll have it. I just don't know whether or not these plans I make will actually work, I mean this site and the old BWC forums are overflowing with exercises and exercise trends and info but for all the people I see posting their exercises/routines and everything I hardly ever see anyone posting their results, and usually when they do the exercises/routines are missing! I'm just looking for the most efficient and simple routine I can that'll definitely give me gains if I stick with it and within a somewhat forseeable timeframe (since everyone's different of course). With that in mind I suppose it wouldn't hurt to switch to a Mon-Sat routine vs MWF one, and I guess I'll just go with 5x5 at first and ramp it up from there every time I retrain a muscle group and the CC structure seems pretty legit so I suppose I'll go with training those groups. I'm just stuck at which exercises to put there, maybe s5 or s7 ones. What results have you guys had? And thanks for all the help :D

1. Only one way to find out for sure! Honestly we know nothing of your training history, capabilities, recovery speed, and so forth, and even if you try to describe it there's really no way we can tell effectively. You have to find out for yourself and to a large extent this will come with experience.

2. A specific exercise or routine won't give the same results for everyone. You aren't ready, for example, to do something that a more experience trainee might do and reap benefits from it. On the other hand, gains in general should be much easier and come much more quickly so you can stick with a simple routine and gains will come if you work hard and consistently and progressively. If you have a concrete goal in mind (e.g. 'I can do 30 strict pushups and want to do 50') we can help more, but again, only to a certain extent due to completely different backgrounds, body types, and experience levels. Like I said, as a relative beginner MOST things should work for you as your body is just beginning to adapt, but something that worked very well for me when I was at 'that stage', wherever you are exactly, might not work as well for you. Which is why you just have to get your feet wet, really.

3. There isn't one. Especially for you, there definitely isn't 'just one', see above. If you can outline a few goals in terms of numbers progression you want to hit, and what days are best for you to train, etc. I can definitely design a program based on what you want, and it will work if you put the effort in. More importantly though is understanding how and why a program works for you (with your own history, physical limitations, leverages, strengths and weaknesses), even if, as you said, you might not be super serious about this other than putting on some weight and at least being as strong as or a bit stronger than, most other fellows around you.

4. Scheduling is completely up to you, neither is better or worse. I used to do heavy pulling exercises on Mondays and Thursdays and these days I'm doing them on Wednesdays and Saturdays; I've trained pullups daily or 2-3x a week on different days, in the long run those nitty gritty things won't matter. The exact schedule will have to change anyway, it's the consistent time and effort that matter most.

5. Totally depends on how strong you are and which rep range you want to use. Patience matters too, with CC. It's designed to be used for very long periods of time, if you skip steps you'll hit a wall much faster but you won't have to worry about catching up to 'where you were before' in terms of ability... of course that shouldn't really be that much of an issue for you anyhow at this stage; but you do want to avoid boredom!

So, if you want me or anyone else to design you a program outline your exact goals in more detail and where you are now (in terms of the numbers). The more detail you give the more specific I can be with program design, if that's what you want, but again (again!) most of this stuff you'll have to figure out for yourself. Be an independent thinker with an approach that's simultaneously analytical and intuitive when it comes to your body and its capabilities and you'll go much further than if you tried to use copied routines without actually keeping yourself in mind.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:53 am

Also, yes, what TMK said. Get started NOW. Worrying about whether something will or won't work or what works best will only hold you back and slow you down. At this stage you can make definite, fairly fast progress doing just about anything as long as the effort is there.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:16 am

A very basic starter routine would be:

Push: standing pushups against wall or on the knees
Pull: standing rows or australian pullups
Squats: goblet squats
Maybe a few deadlifts: just pick sth. Up with good form

3 sets, 12 reps
3 x week. Throw in a bit of walking, cycling, etc. Maybe hiit in between and evaluate

Start a log and we can work further

Every now and then I would do some more advanced stuff instead of straight ab work atm.
Like: turkish get ups and crow handstands or handstands

You could team up with black, he works very dedicated on his chin ups.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:51 am

Avo's plan works great. Try it for a week or longer, and then take a look at what you would like to change.

Once you can do 10 x 10 diamond push-ups with 15 sec rest between sets, move on to dips. How about that?
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:58 am

Thanks, maybe even assisted squats in the beginning, if goblets (with bodyweight or weight in hands) are to difficult. I may add.

I did this myself, because I had a lack of ankle mobility.(still have, but less pronounced)
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:46 pm

NewbGuru wrote:I mean this site and the old BWC forums are overflowing with exercises and exercise trends and info but for all the people I see posting their exercises/routines and everything I hardly ever see anyone posting their results, and usually when they do the exercises/routines are missing!:D

You have to understand, what we post IS our results.
Results of all the work we put in. We don't post stuff in the numbers we used to do. Our current posts are usually where we are in whatever endeavor each us is working on. There's not many people that are in "maintenance mode".

I say get to work and post what you can do. At this point, you make gains very quickly if you just start :idea:
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by NewbGuru on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:13 am

Ah, I see everyone. I'll just focus on the exercises then and actually doing the work once I start, right now I'm in the planning stage really since I'm waiting to be paid so I can get my pull-up bar and be able to approach it in a way that I'm not excluding all "pull-up" type exercises, I realize it may not make much sense considering gains are gains and my body would just catch up but when I start this I want to have every possible excuse eliminated, I'll have the gear, protein, and plan. And Ava, I'll definitely try those exercises out, thanks :D, as to everyone else who's posted here and helped me out. Once I get everything together I'll try to video myself doing the workouts along with making the workout log. But right now I don't have the nutrition I'd need, which is why I'm so fixated on protein, or the pull-up bar I'll be able to afford within this week or next. Luckily though, I've decided to stick with the CC routine "framework" and thanks to you guys, I've got some really awesome exercises to fill in the blanks! Soon as I start I'll post a log.

NewbGuru
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:50 am

You don,t really need a bar for that - i don't have one. Video is a good idea.

Btw my form is much better now. I do weighted pullups almost daily, when I haul my groceries home with the backpack and come across a bar. Have to video the deer pullup soon btw.
Now, excuse me please, I have to haul some groceries XD

Oh, and a lot of us (me included) are not really into protein powder.

Last edited by Avocadoshake on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:30 am

The closest I come to supplementing is that I have a couple boxes of cliff bars at work. I eat 2 regular and 2 builder bars a day, nets me 60g of protein right there, and a bunch of calories.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:08 pm

NewbGuru wrote: But right now I don't have the nutrition I'd need,

Unless you're walking around hungry, you have what you need. Except desire.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:18 pm

5 x 12 pullups plus 3 with additional 12.6 kg done today without a bar at home
221,2 g protein intake without supplements
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content