PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Debut of the NewbGuru

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Debut of the NewbGuru

Post by NewbGuru on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:14 pm

My name is Carl, plan on starting sometime this or next month depending on when I get my gear, hope to keep at it for a few months and get RIPPED like a BEAST cuz yolo for swag and all that. Hopefully I'll meet my goal before senior year comes up about half a year from now. Also hope to help other users once I'm at that level, soon as I start I'll make a training log too in case it works out. Met a few of you and to the rest, you'll probably see me lurking 'round here sometime :groar:

NewbGuru
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Re: Debut of the NewbGuru

Post by Journeyman on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:41 pm

1. Welcome!
2. Why not start now?
3. Keep at it for a few months? It'll take more than that. Get ready to devote a few years to reaching your goals and the rest of your life to at least maintaining (and hopefully improving) that level.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:42 pm

4. For f**k's sake keep 'yolo' and 'swag' off the forum. :facepalm: :lol:
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by NewbGuru on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:36 pm

Journeyman wrote:4. For f**k's sake keep 'yolo' and 'swag' off the forum. :facepalm: :lol:
:no: lol

But yeah, I'd start today but with no protein you can't gain muscle, I can't even afford 100$ a month so I'm gonna have to wait until I can get my WHEY when some of my loans get back to me. And yeah, I know to be at a level of god-like fitness it'll take years of effort and trying but I think half a year is a good time-frame to get to 25lbs of muscle at least from underweight. After that we'll look at greek-god-of-fitness level but until then :lol:

NewbGuru
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:02 am

Eat more. Supplements won't do jack sh!t without a solid diet. I'd definitely say that protein supplements aren't necessary. I don't use them.
And 25+ solid pounds is a grossly unrealistic goal for 6 months of training, even in your first year, just saying.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:03 am

You don't need whey. At your stage of training you only need food.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:05 am

I see Jman has said the same thing. 25+ pounds is doable, depending on genetics and resources at your disposal, but would take a level of single minded commitment and discipline that most people won't give.

Either that or it takes lots of barbell squats and milk. ;) :lol:
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:13 am

Most people can definitely put on 25# with beginner's gains, heavy weights and a ton of sleep, food and hard work. But it won't all be solid muscle, which I think is newb's misconception here... and, most people are missing at least one part of the equation (food or sleep or hard work or heavy training).
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:58 pm

Welcome Newbguru!!! cool name. How you intending to train? weights, calisthenics, kettlebells, Resisntance bands? I would personally say for the best aesthetic results in 6 months, a high intensity circuit training approach would be good. could defo get to 10% BF or less in that time. With sufficiant sleep and nutrition of course. If you have a good enough diet, protein isnt neccesary, i only use whey to aid in recovery.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:44 am

I must not be cool, since I have no idea what "yolo" or "swag" means. :facepalm:

Welcome Carl.
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:49 am

That just might be why you are cool. :cheeky:

But seriously, Carl, forgive me I forgot to wish you a sincere and hearty WELCOME! Glad you could join us and I hope you make all your goals happen. :mrgreen:
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NewbGuru on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:20 am

Haha, thanks everyone. In response to what I like to train with, ideally my body and a pull-up bar. As for the gains, I'll be sticking to whatever plan I can make for myself every day so hopefully I'll get some beginner gains. And right now I'm not really on a weight sustainable diet, it fluctuates a lot, and I can't afford to eat better, gonna be a few months til I'm 18 and can apply for dollar store or something, so I'll have to depend on WHEY for my protein source if I want any gains won't I? I have my current workout plan in that earlier post I made and I'm not sure if any of you have seen it, so I don't know how likely it is to help me meet my goal :P, either way, thanks for the welcome everyone!

NewbGuru
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:25 am

If you can't have solid food taking a bit of extra whey won't help much. Mass isn't built with protein alone. You'll need to drastically increase your caloric intake--carbs, fats, protein, nutrients of all kinds....
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:34 am

Milk, eggs, peanuts, fruit, broccoli, meat/fish, garlic. You need those.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:48 pm

Iliander wrote:Milk, eggs, peanuts, fruit, broccoli, meat/fish, garlic. You need those.

I'd say the ones in bold are what you really need; the rest is just useful. And by fish I mean small, non-mercury laden fish (herring sardines, mackerel, etc.). I do eat a lot of eggs, milk and peanut butter but don't consider them necessary, per se.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:56 pm

The only problem is that most non-mercury-laden fish are yucky. :pale:

Jon
Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:07 pm

I need to add a violin emoticon... :cry:
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:38 pm

Carl, I was thinking about what you said. I don't know about up there, but down here I pay about $20 for two pounds of whey. I could get more than 6 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts for the same money. OR, I could buy whole chickens on sale for a lot less than that.
Solid food is great!
If you don't know how to cook, it's time to put on your big boy pants! :lol:
JK!
But, it is cheaper to eat real food than to buy supplements. :nod:
I know it's a lot to take in right now. Just do what you can and everything will start falling in place.
Looking forward to watching your gains!

I'm with Cheese on those "words" :scratch:
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:20 am

I'm a bit late, but welcome nonetheless.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by NewbGuru on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:54 am

Thanks again for all the welcomes, be they early or late lol, and the advice, it's really helping me out. See, I live in a tight situation where my grandparents go grocery shopping once a month for themselves me and my sister so I can't really ask for too much from them since they're pretty set in their spending habits. I could ask for enough brocolli to have maybe one brocolli & cheese meal a week and a bushel or two of potatoes for the month so every week or two (depending on amounts, etc) I can make some fried potatoes&onions, maybe throw in a garlic clove, so that'll last me two days a batch optimistically, gotta share, and I already eat chunk light tuna every now and then so hopefully that's gonna help. Sound like it'll be helpful for #gains and muscle? I'll probably use whey every workout day with too. All I'm really after is get some decent looking weight and at least avg strength for my age.

NewbGuru
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:38 am

If you have the money to buy whey, I honestly think it'd be better spent on a few cans of tuna, or some peanut butter, or just milk. Make sure you fill up at every meal and then have the extra protein on top of that, plus keep filling yourself with nuts or whole grain bread or whatnot in between meals.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:07 am

NewbGuru wrote:RIPPED like a BEAST cuz yolo for swag

Word.

:curl: :curl:

Journeyman wrote:Most people can definitely put on 25# with beginner's gains, heavy weights and a ton of sleep, food and hard work. But it won't all be solid muscle, which I think is newb's misconception here...

Yes, it'll tend to be 25 lbs. of the Mark-Rippetoe-preferred sort.

itlives wrote:Solid food is great!
If you don't know how to cook, it's time to put on your big boy pants! :lol:
JK!
But, it is cheaper to eat real food than to buy supplements. :nod:

^^ This. Cooking is not hard once you've got the hang of it, and you get to control the content and the taste. Get a slow cooker, it is literally as easy as putting vegetables and meat into a pot and pressing a couple of buttons, and everything that comes out is delicious.[/quote]

itlives wrote:But, it is cheaper to eat real food than to buy supplements. :nod:

Journeyman wrote:If you have the money to buy whey, I honestly think it'd be better spent on a few cans of tuna, or some peanut butter, or just milk

While solid food is far better and more effective than whey when it comes to weight gain, I wouldn't say it's cheaper. Two pounds of whey powder cost around $25 and provide 30 servings, which is generally a month's supply (for me, 35-45 days). That's around $.85 per 23-25 grams of pure protein, which isn't bad (if you buy 4lb. containers, it comes out even cheaper per scoop). $25 won't take you very far when it comes to groceries.

Beans and bread are also a great 'bulking' tool.
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:30 am

Almonds and pumpkin seeds, flax seeds as well.
Almost forgot avocado :facepalm:
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:26 pm

Rice and beans. I just bought 45 lb.s of chick peas (garbanzo beans) for about $2 a pound. Rice is inexpensive in bulk, also.
Chick peas are 23% protein but you have to eat another bean or rice with it to make it a complete protein. (Your body cannot use an incomplete protein).
The people of the world that can't afford meat, eat rice and beans for protein.
If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. It's easier to digest than meat, also. It helps to soak the beans overnight in water and a little fermenter like yougurt or kefir. It breaks down something and makes easy to digest.
Sorry if it's a lot of information but it's stuff we should all know.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top