PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Gym Experience

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gym Experience

Post by Rix on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:13 pm

Boring story, sorry im tired and just typing up whatever i recall. Bad literacy skills too.

My brother invited me to his gym today, wasnt really kean on going but i did anyway because my curious side emerged. I walked in there and ohh ghheeee not a t-shirt or jumper around, ALL TANK TOPS. had a full body fat loss plan for my bro and i to do, had to struggle for room to do some stuff but got there in the end. So anyway i havent been to the gym since i was 16, and im 19 in a few weeks so i was wondering would i could do considering all i do is calisthenics. i wasnt interested in finding out my 1RM for every exercise tho, i just pushed myself a lil at everything to clench my curious thirst.

Im not a big muscley guy as some of you know, just average, wore a old jumper i have had since i was like 12 so it was tight so you could see my physique a lil << important for later in the story. So i was doing some clean and presses to warm up, ended up being able to do 10 reps of 50kg barbell << interesting. Then i moved over to pull ups on a power rack, muscle ups are way easier on a thinner bar!! << so i started to get some looks at this point, RAISED EYEBROWS :suspect:. Now squats on a lever then squat machine, racked up 10 reps of 80kgs going slightly lower than 90 degrees. now bench press, 10 reps of 80 easy, guy next to me had arms Twice the size of me and was struggling to do the same << more looks :suspect: some guy was deadlifting 120kg and i asked to hve a go and i did that with ease for a 4 reps. Happy with what im doing, start doing some hanging leg raised, toe to roof, and a group of teens are looking at me impressed and i tell them weights arent everything and they laughed << LOL

At this point my cousen is in the gym working out too, hes a compeiting bodybuilder, and hes noticing the kinda work im doing and saying to me "Ricky your half the size of these guys and they saying your doing weights they do, how come i dont see you in the gym, what do you do?" i was just like, "just the usual push ups and pull ups" he thought i was joking and was shocked, his gym buddies was like "waahhh, your strong for a small guy?" but i personally dont think im strong, like a few guys on this forum shoot me out the water and stuff, but my point is, EDIT: with my speculation only and in my opinion, i seemed to be doing quite well and lifting well for a bodyweight only person and holding my own against guys with "bigger muscles" than myself. I seem to have obtained a good amount of strength working hard on bodyweight exercises alone, that seems to match aesthetic bodybuilders, and even mean lb for lb i may be stronger than them from what i saw.

There was some beasty guys in there just laying down the law that out did everyone. And im not showing off with the numbers i produced and saying "i could of done more" im just speculating that i was holding my own in the gym and im a calisthenics junkie... A BODYWEIGHT SPARTAN :twisted: hahahaha.

Not hating on any form of exercise, as long as your buttox leaves the coach then im happy for you. Beats all the obese kids sitting play xbox/ps3 with a bag of cheeeese balls.

Last edited by Rixstar on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:41 am; edited 3 times in total
Rix

Back to top Go down

Re: Gym Experience

Post by Journeyman on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:26 pm

Someone who trains seriously without weights can probably outlift someone who doesn't train seriously at all, with weights.
A serious lifter will trump a serious trainee who doesn't lift, at lifting, every time.

Hope that makes sense. And yeah, a few muscleups, 80kg bench and 120kg deadlift are impressive in some gyms, sadly (not that that's bad or weak, per se) but I lift in a college gym--only D3, crap athletics--and we have at least 20 or so guys who can bench 250+ easily, out of a school of only a few thousand. I've seen at least 5 people capable of deadlifting 500+ beltless, 275 inclines for reps, and one guy doing seated dumbell presses with 90s. Plus, my friend who can do planche > handstand presses, and me.

So, in sum: you definitely aren't weak but your lifts aren't really anything special, (no offense, it's to be expected), as you don't really lift. Your 'gym' as a whole isn't very strong.
A bigger guy has more strength potential than a small guy. And if you get bigger, you will get stronger as well.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:39 pm

Totally agree with you J-man, it seems to be impressive in that gym which is unfortunate and sad, world is too obsessed with size nowadays. I recon i could of added a noticable weight to all those exercises i did for a 1RM. i didnt think my lifts where anything special btw :P, was just shocked with the weight i could move with ease from doing BW stuff and without going to a gym in over two years.

My goal is to build a good base in BW stuff, (which i seem to be doing) and then one day start strength training and maybe enter a lightweight strongman comp. Seems to me that if i carry one doing what im doing for a lil bit longer and "master CC" i should be able to start strength training with a good running start!

Last edited by Rixstar on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:43 pm

Building a good base with BWE is a good idea. I want to try my hand at strongman someday as well--for amateur lightweight competition you'll need at least a 500 deadlift and 250 overhead for reps (push jerk style) as well as a ton of grip strength. Being able to squat 315x20 is a good idea too.
For top level lightweight competition you'd have to pull at least 600, and push press 350 or so....
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Thanks, if you say its a good idea then i must be on to something :D I looked up all the criteria and it all seems doable with a lot of hard work. In the uk they have some serious amateur ones, and just some general "almost for fun" competitions, I think it would be really cool just to even be involved in 1 comp one day, just for the experience and journey.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:41 pm

I would rephrase it to "size is not all that matters", but it sure does count for something (at least strength potential, as Jman mentioned).
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:21 am

In a big way. That's why there are weight classes, of course!
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by MF! on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:58 am

full article here: http://www.dragondoor.com/articles/building-an-olympic-body-through-bodyweight-conditioning/?CategoryId=20&F_All=y

How strong is it possible to become with bodyweight exercises? Amazingly strong. In fact I would go so far as to say, done correctly, far stronger than someone who had trained for the same amount of time with free weights. Want some concrete examples? One of my former students, JJ Gregory (1993 Junior National Champion on the Still Rings) developed such a high degree of strength from my bodyweight conditioning program that on his first day in his high school weightlifting class he deadlifted 400lbs., and this at the scale breaking weight of 135 lbs. and a height of 5'3".

And JJ, while the strongest, is not an isolated case. For example, over the years I would occasionally (once a year or so) allow my athletes to test their one rep max on weighted chins (an exercise we never perform as part of our regular conditioning) simply so that they could have proof positive of the enormous measurable strength gains which they were enjoying. My own son at the age of 13 and a bodyweight of around 110 lbs. could chin 50 lbs. for 8 reps and it was not at all unusual for a 60 lb. younger athlete to perform 5 or more reps with 25 lbs.
MF!
Adept
Adept

http://traceurversusbboy.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar_maniac on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:57 am

Gotten those looks too! :D I usually wear a size too big t-shirt when training so my physique don't really show, there's a lot of pulluppers at my gym and only one bar to do it, so we take turns. I've been told that i can get 10+ pullups with good form (palm facing/bicep style) because i'm so small. When i tell i weight about 85 almost no one believes cause "all the other guys here weight little less and they are bigger than you". They kip on the bar from the first rep and do about 15-20 reps.

Then they take their creatine which pumps fluid into them (at least that's how creatine worked when i tried it).

Like Rixstar i was shocked as well when i went back to the gym after 1,5years , loaded 80kg on the bench (feet down) and lifted it with ease for a full 10 rep set.

I've also put some guys i've friended at the gym thruogh hanging grip training. First they've said:"that's easy, i can hang with towels for an hour", after 30 seconds they're all red, huffing and puffing and come down.

Edit: and i'm pretty happy how my chest has developed with BWE, more than i've got from training weights before discovering BWE.
Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

http://www.facebook.com/esa.lackstrom

Back to top Go down

Post by trainingforlife on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:10 am

I enjoyed the story and it plays in with my life,but roles reverse. I have been a power lifter for a number of years now 2001-2007 then again from 2010-current. Just last year I got into body weight exercises and I was pissed that after all the years of lifting I could not do the thinks guy/girls half my size were doing. Not only BW movements, but also in lifts. My hat is off to all you body weight freaks :igiveup: Pound for pound all of you are have great feats of strength!! :clappy:

trainingforlife
Masterful
Masterful

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoK7PpW9-MZvpiFtiuYVtLg

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:06 am

Dave.cyco wrote:I would rephrase it to "size is not all that matters", but it sure does count for something (at least strength potential, as Jman mentioned).

Nothing wrong with training for muscle size only either, if that's one's goal.

If you can build massive arms doing, say, 80k x 10 on the bench, there isn't really much point in working up to 90k x 10. Increasing your work set weight will not always result in moar muskill size. Otherwise you wouldn't have 80k Russians raw squatting 300k and benching 200k.

I'm sure the average gym rat would argue "what's the point of lifting all dat weight if you're not gonna be swole, brah".

Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar_maniac on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:19 am

Fatman wrote:
Dave.cyco wrote:I would rephrase it to "size is not all that matters", but it sure does count for something (at least strength potential, as Jman mentioned).

Nothing wrong with training for muscle size only either, if that's one's goal.

Lately i have read news about people using plastic surgery to get muscles, guess in a few decades no one trains for muscles anymore.

Couple links:

http://rollingout.com/culture/plastic-surgery-man-buys-fake-muscles/

http://plasticsergeant.com/before-and-after/male-pectoral-implants

Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

http://www.facebook.com/esa.lackstrom

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:20 am

I'd buy a t-shirt that said "
"Body Weight FREAK"

That enhancement stuff is pure vanity. Those people are losers in every way -IMO.
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:03 pm

haha TFL "bodyweight freaks" i like that, like back handed complement :p

Fatman, ofcourse not, but when they struggling to lift an average weight with 16inch arms, it just makes me wonder if that size is really doing anything, uno what i mean.

Guitar-maniac, glad im not alone, once you beast CC you will start to really raise eyebrows. With the surgeon stuff, thats the main reason kids end up dead from steroids nowadays, thinking getting size should be an overnight thing rather than a journey and copping out for the "easiest option" without knowledge and correct information. The world is obsessed with size lately. i blame action men!!
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:26 pm

Rixstar wrote:Fatman, ofcourse not, but when they struggling to lift an average weight with 16inch arms, it just makes me wonder if that size is really doing anything, uno what i mean.

Well, it is for them... I guess. Someone sees them in the street or a bar/club, they'll say "hey, that guy is jacked", and that's all they want. If you hadn't seen them lift, you'd have thought they could rep out with 120k or something.

The average (non-lifting) person will not be impressed by your strength, even if you're the strongest guy in the world. The reaction to "I can deadlift 100k" is "wow, that's a lot". The reaction to "I can deadlift 300k" is "wow, that's a lot". The reaction to Andy Bolton is "wow, that guy's fat, he should go for a run". But a 16" arm is always a 16" arm :lol:
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:54 pm

True, sad times imo
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by alexander_a on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:39 pm

What matters most is, in my humble opinion, to have fun with training and to get somewhere with it. If impressing many girls with your body is the idea of fun, get big arms and a six pack. Impressing guys: get as swole as you can and bench a lot of kilos. Impress yourself: do whatever you find cool and attractive in yourself.

Personally I want a planche and a super solid front lever to go with a six pack and a wide, thick back :) Set your eyes on what really matters to YOU and let the fluff slide, in life and training. Everyone has different ideas of what floats their boat i guess!

alexander_a
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:02 pm

Wow when'd half the board become 'zomgg bodyweight iz betters!' elitists? :confused:

Synthol is not the issue here. And, if you see someone who's solidly built he's probably pretty d@mn strong, see my posts in the 'nice body but what can you do with it' thread.
Remember that I can do one arm chins and strict barbell rows with over 1.5 times my weight, but if you saw me doing the Josh.T. arm circuit you'd probably think I couldn't lift any more than the 30s I'd be hammer curling... right? No one who's solidly built and rather lean with 16'' arms (or whatever) is going to be struggling with 80kg on bench.
I remember seeing a big guy with pretty big arms in my gym. He always seemed to be lifting super light and sticking with isolation movements. Then one day I walked in at the right time in his session, I guess, and saw him banging out pretty strict curls with 135. You can't judge someone's training until you've seen it all, so why compare?

Finally, all this 'oh they might be bigger but it's probably useless and I'm stronger/more functional/whatever' BS is, I thought, outdated on a forum of people as intelligent and knowledgeable as we all are--and it smacks of jealousy. We're all pretty dedicated so who knows maybe you are stronger? But honestly what does it matter... he's doing what makes him happy. So don't walk around with delusions of grandeur based on the sort of training you do; leave that bad attitude to the crossfitters. In the end, anyone who does any sort of physical activity is well ahead of the curve just in terms of being healthy, so just do what makes you happy. And that doesn't make you better or worse than anyone else.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:02 pm

alexander_a wrote:What matters most is, in my humble opinion, to have fun with training and to get somewhere with it. If impressing many girls with your body is the idea of fun, get big arms and a six pack. Impressing guys: get as swole as you can and bench a lot of kilos. Impress yourself: do whatever you find cool and attractive in yourself.

Personally I want a planche and a super solid front lever to go with a six pack and a wide, thick back :) Set your eyes on what really matters to YOU and let the fluff slide, in life and training. Everyone has different ideas of what floats their boat i guess!

This X a million.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:54 pm

hahaha true. why the out burst? lool if thats aimed at me, i was clearly just saying by my brief speculation, inbox me if you got any issues with me dont call me out like that again please, thanks. i didnt intend to have any hate for anyone big, i appreciate all forms of reasons to exercise, just dont like tank tops thinking they better than me coz i dont think anyone should think like that coz i actually dont, and dont bad me on other threads. not hating. Dont need to PWN me coz you got knowledge and internet balls. Call me out like a gentleman on a inbox and ill change my posts. im not on bodybuilding,com, dont need this sh!t towards me, this thread hasnt gone down the direction i intended it for, maybe my fault but i was just proud of myself. and im 18 < i exagerate i dont bs, but thats just coz im a happy talkative person but i got a short temp so dont fu k me off liek that, not having it. you did this to that bill guy and i dont appreciate it, tic for tac, inbox me for issues from now on. Also dont make me out to be a cc/bw eletist basher, im not that dumb and aragont thank you.

Last edited by Rixstar on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:21 pm

He's just throwing some perspective on it all.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MF! on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:56 pm

good perspective.

I think it's easy to get caught up in the elitist mindset. I'm very guilty of feeling like I'm better than others because I'm a bboy/traceur, but 2 things are very humbling to me:

1) Theres someone performing in my activities of interest doing MUCH better than I am. I have no right to brag about my achievements in those areas.

2) I see myself as a generalist being adaptable to other activities. I'm pretty good with self awareness and all that. The minute you put an object in my hands or something under/on my feet, I'm useless. I'm a pretty good jumper, but I'm useless on a basketball court. I have decent hand-eye coordination, but I'd easily get smacked in a kendo match.

I'm all for what you said J... train for what you enjoy most.

except crossfit :lol:

MF!
Adept
Adept

http://traceurversusbboy.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:23 am

Rix, billgetsstrong NEEDED to be called out because he was claiming to be a WORLD CLASS ELITE lifter. The claims he was making were outright BS, unless he is one of the strongest men who has EVER lived. We don't have room on this board for those kinds of falsehoods, and if he couldn't take his BS being called out, then he never should have posted it. This board is for REAL people who do REAL exercise and get REAL results so they can give REAL advice based on REAL experience. Billgetsstrong was a faker; there was nothing certifiably REAL about him and good riddance.

But nothing you said was untrue, you were simply describing your experience and relating your perceptions to us. That's fine. Jman didn't call you a liar. All he said was that such a post smacks of jealousy, but that doesn't mean he was accusing you of being jealous, it means only that the post could easily give that impression, and he's right. It very well could. But most of us know you better than to think that was the case with you. I certainly did not think you were jealous of jacked BB types. I sure am not, and I've made some of the very same observations you have when I go to the gym (i.e. being apparently stronger than bigger guys). But there were perceptible defects in your perceptions that Jman and others here were able to see due to our years of training, and he simply addressed in a matter of fact way, with some irritation perhaps, owing in no way to YOU for the sake of you, but simply due to the fact that he was been part of these kinds of discussions over and over and over again for nearly 7 years now.

I know misunderstandings happen, none of us are perfect (least of all me) , but really, there is no need to take it personally; we're all friends here.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisTG on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:45 am

alexander_a wrote:What matters most is, in my humble opinion, to have fun with training and to get somewhere with it. If impressing many girls with your body is the idea of fun, get big arms and a six pack. Impressing guys: get as swole as you can and bench a lot of kilos. Impress yourself: do whatever you find cool and attractive in yourself.

For impressing guys a bubble butt also works but it depends on your definition of impress and maybe your gender :neener:

You're absolutely right. I can't fault anybody for working out to look different (or doing anything different), we've got different goals and lives and experiences, and I can't say I don't want to use exercise to change how I look because I do. I enjoy how much better my body feels doing anything, and most importantly how much more confident I am.

Also very important, imho, is not doing anything to impress somebody else. What you want to do should stand on it's own merit and your personal dreams and goals. If you get caught up in being what other people think you should be, you will never be happy and they will not give you anything in return. At least not anything worth having, if they're only doing it because you impressed them. I mean being impressive with something is good, but being a rock solid decent human being is far more important than any accomplishment. You could do absolutely nothing but if you've got that I think you're ahead of the most impressive man in the world if they're not a great person.

I mean do things for people you care for but, but don't try to live up to other people's ideas of manliness for example. Things like: "you're not a man if you don't do exercise X, or can lift Y weight, or grow Z beard, or act in such and such a way etc."
I've got a great idea on where these people can shove their manliness but I know Dave would rather I not but you get the idea.

As for what floats my boat I am pretty sure I'm in a submarine :think:

ChrisTG
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:53 am

ChrisTG wrote:If you get caught up in being what other people think you should be, you will never be happy

Very well said Chris!

ChrisTG wrote:"you're not a man if you don't do grow a ZZ Top beard"

Fixed it! :razz:

ChrisTG wrote:As for what floats my boat I am pretty sure I'm in a submarine :think:

:lol: :up:
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:25 am

Rixstar wrote:hahaha true. why the out burst? lool if thats aimed at me, i was clearly just saying by my brief speculation, inbox me if you got any issues with me dont call me out like that again please, thanks. i didnt intend to have any hate for anyone big, i appreciate all forms of reasons to exercise, just dont like tank tops thinking they better than me coz i dont think anyone should think like that coz i actually dont, and dont bad me on other threads. not hating. Dont need to PWN me coz you got knowledge and internet balls. Call me out like a gentleman on a inbox and ill change my posts. im not on bodybuilding,com, dont need this sh!t towards me, this thread hasnt gone down the direction i intended it for, maybe my fault but i was just proud of myself. and im 18 < i exagerate i dont bs, but thats just coz im a happy talkative person but i got a short temp so dont fu k me off liek that, not having it. you did this to that bill guy and i dont appreciate it, tic for tac, inbox me for issues from now on. Also dont make me out to be a cc/bw eletist basher, im not that dumb and aragont thank you.
Hey, calm it down man :cheers2:
Wasn't aimed at you, just at people in general--I forget who it was exactly but like 6 posts chimed in all basically sounding the same way, and not necessarily in a 'way' that I agree with, so, I responded in a general manner with my perspective.

I would never ask you to change your posts, especially if I disagreed with them. That's what free exchange of info is all about. I'm not owning you or anyone nor do I need 'internet balls'--I speak my mind in real life as well. Again--not calling you out at all, as you can see from my first post on the thread, but commenting on a trend I don't like, that I seemed to be seeing/starting to see from a bunch of posters on page 1.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:33 am

Alright, sorry i reacted so abruptly. I understand now. I didnt mean for my O-post to come across like that, and i apologise if i offended you j-man or anyone else.

EDIT: i dont think before i talk, so when i do come out with sh!t that is not what i mean and you guys notice it, just tell me and ill correct myself or ask if something is fishy.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:31 am

This is true, wise words, i honestly look up to you man!
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum