PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

My body really has changed since starting BWE...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My body really has changed since starting BWE...

Post by Guitar_maniac on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:15 am

Last night i was watching pics of myself when i was still working as a guard/bouncer, my weight was around 95kg~ and i was quite a lot bigger. I'm now at 87kg~ but more muscular and have more strength. What got me into thinking this was when i was lying in my bed, going to sleep and somehow noticed that my forearms are really small. Freaked me out a bit at first :D But they look more powerful/tighter now. Grip strength has also increased greatly, further than some of my friends who i go to gym with tho size in arms is noticeable (tested with hanging and with CoC)

One classmate also said few weeks ago that i look a lot smaller these days, and my clothes do feel a bit easy on me. but when on my tank top (:D) i look more beastier than before, on street clothes, like a wimp.

Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

http://www.facebook.com/esa.lackstrom

Back to top Go down

Re: My body really has changed since starting BWE...

Post by Avocadoshake on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:11 am

Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar_maniac on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:15 am

Avocadoshake wrote:

Enuff said.
Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

http://www.facebook.com/esa.lackstrom

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:05 pm

Avocadoshake wrote:

Oh dear. First the 'gym rats are nonfunctional' thread and now it looks like we're ripe for a bruce lee worshipping thread, really fellows?

Guitar, that's some good stuff. Keep it up :twisted:
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:25 pm

I wouldn't like to mess with that lanky guy in the suit. Besides, I noticed myself, that I have now measurenents at 75 kg, I had with 80 kg. My wife says, I'm more defined now. :bosco:
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:44 pm

Avocadoshake wrote:I wouldn't like to mess with that lanky guy in the suit. Besides, I noticed myself, that I have now measurenents at 75 kg, I had with 80 kg. My wife says, I'm more defined now. :bosco:

As with Guitar--good for you 8)
But what's that have to do with Bruce? I didn't mean to be all curt/short about it, but the gym rat/bodybuilder/big guy hate is just ignorant and uninformed--I don't like it especially, as I've noted, on a board with as many intelligent members as this one. BL usually ties into that somehow....
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:49 pm

I did not know this and I do not hate anyone. Exercise related.
I simply wanted to say with that picture that strength is not necessary defined by looks and despite that, the lanky BL looks not that weak to me in his clothes anyway. Maybe it's the confident expression on his face.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:53 pm

Yep.
One other thing, having looked up to Lee (a lot) for several years when I first started training, researching all his programs and what he said/wrote, modeling some of my training off of his, etc. (and he's still a big inspiration) the hero worship, exaggerated feats, tall tales, etc. do nothing but tarnish his legacy--imo.
He was a cool guy but people feeding off of that and making him out to be some sort of superhero, somehow being cocky about his accomplishments and being really angry when I (or anyone else) corrects them, actually kinda pisses me off.
"No, actually, he didn't stand and hold a bodyweight-loaded barbell straight out in front of him for 'X' number of seconds. No, he didn't hold a V-sit for half an hour. No, he wasn't the best martial artist ever lived/deadliest man ever lived".
"No dude really he was, what're you bringing him down for, he was the best ever, f**k off with that hate"
...And so forth.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:58 pm

Avocadoshake wrote:I did not know this and I do not hate anyone. Exercise related.
I simply wanted to say with that picture that strength is not necessary defined by looks and despite that, the lanky BL looks not that weak to me in his clothes anyway. Maybe it's the confident expression on his face.

Yeah again, not coming down on you or anyone else personally.

I would say that strength can be predicted by looks at least to some extent--I mean, you can tell that Bruce isn't a gymnast or powerlifter just by looking at him--but yeah, you can also tell he's not some weakling right off the bat.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by alexander_a on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:11 pm

I think the body changes have a lot to do with focus. Maybe bw training is something you have a great will to do and find good motivation. I know my greatest gains came when I stopped looking at heroes for inspiration and just went with what I wanted to accomplish for myself and not doing some program or exercise from someone else.

Sure, I like the look of Jason Statham's physique a lot, sure I want to get as fit but the training (probably frabricated routines on internet mostly, but that's not the point) I can find that he did would not motivate me at all. I thus have a greater chance of looking like him by training in a totally different way, perhaps like I do now. Does not mean that his training is inferior to mine at all. It's inferior for me, or more precicely for my mind because the crossfit like routines of his that I've found online seemed dull in my eyes.

Different ways to skin a cat, you found your way - bw exercise! That's awesome results that you speak of by the way, I'm happy to read it!

alexander_a
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:21 pm

alexander_a wrote: sure I want to get as fit but the training (probably frabricated routines on internet mostly, but that's not the point) I can find that he did would not motivate me at all. I thus have a greater chance of looking like him by training in a totally different way, perhaps like I do now. Does not mean that his training is inferior to mine at all. It's inferior for me, or more precicely for my mind because the crossfit like routines of his that I've found online seemed dull in my eyes.

This.

Some of the 'routines' I found actually seem pretty good. Heavy DL, front squat, lots of ring pullups and parallel bar dips, volume-style training, not random, not crossfittish at all.... Also, he was a top-level competitive diver wasn't he?
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:30 pm

I'm not into the Lee cult, simply that picture came to my mind when reading the first post. So I'm blessed with ignorance here.
I'm not only into bw either. I eat a high protein diet like a bodybuilder, but high in fat like a paleo guy. I do bw, dumbbell, kettlebells, isometric and some other strange stuff. High reps, low reps, supersets, circuits, plyo, compound, isolation exercises. Why not have the best of all.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:33 pm

alexander_a wrote:Different ways to skin a cat

No pun intended of course? :lol:
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by alexander_a on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:40 pm

JM - no they are not bad at all and that's really what my point was, they are in fact real good and therefore the example. I simply mean that I wouldn't find the training fun (right now in my training career or life situation that is) and so it wouldn't give me as good results as a training routine that i really wanted to focus on right now. I think it's funny how so many argue over the best way to train, just look over at GB forum for a glimpse of that... when it all comes down to finding what really motivates oneself right now. Motivation in form of mass, performance, rippedness, skills simply does not matter!

PS. the crossfit like comment was my bad, they are in fact not very CF like now that I checked them up again :)

Avo - variation can be the key to motivation as well it seems! Cool that you train with what you like and not what someone says is best for you!

alexander_a
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by alexander_a on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:44 pm

hahaha, Dave - I mean, the specific exercise "skin the cat" can be done with different styles, rock solid or with a sloppy core - of course :D

nice one ;)

alexander_a
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:46 pm

alex: Thanks! Dedication and consistency is better than a good plan and sporadic ventures. I don't say that anyone here has a bad plan, so don't get me wrong on that.
So I guess a good plan is one that makes you stick to it in the first place.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:07 pm

alexander_a wrote:I think the body changes have a lot to do with focus. Maybe bw training is something you have a great will to do and find good motivation.

This x 1000

I totally get this. I think most everyone would agree that motivation and focus are the keys to making real gains/progress of any type. And I think this touches on Avocado's point about he does a bit of everything - what he likes. I think the less you look forward to your workouts, the less likely you're going to push through them when they get tough. I know that's true in my case, especially because I'm starting from pretty much square one right now. So I choose exercises that I'm familiar with, and I have the will to carry them out. I know not everyone is motivated by the same things, or in the same way, but I think once someone has found his or her motivation, that's when results happen.

Jon
Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:29 am

alexander_a wrote:just look over at GB forum for a glimpse of that...

Haha, yep. And very well said, again :up:
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:40 am

This is my opinion and personal preference, im not a Bruce lee elitist,
but i admire Bruce Lee, for the reasons that he was focused, and
believed in himself and achieved what he wanted too. i admire his
philosophical side, his history/life, and his training
determination/interest. But i also admire bodybuilders for their hard work, and i admire the worlds strongest men for doing things young boys dream of!

Guitar_maniac wrote:Last night i was watching pics of myself when i was still working as a guard/bouncer, my weight was around 95kg~ and i was quite a lot bigger. I'm now at 87kg~ but more muscular and have more strength. What got me into thinking this was when i was lying in my bed, going to sleep and somehow noticed that my forearms are really small. Freaked me out a bit at first :D But they look more powerful/tighter now. Grip strength has also increased greatly, further than some of my friends who i go to gym with tho size in arms is noticeable (tested with hanging and with CoC)

One classmate also said few weeks ago that i look a lot smaller these days, and my clothes do feel a bit easy on me. but when on my tank top (:D) i look more beastier than before, on street clothes, like a wimp.

Good to hear that mate, stay focused and carry on progressing.

And everyone... We can all agree we aren't crossfitters number one fans. but some of the people look good... when they not doing butterlfy pull ups. at least they not on a couch!
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:35 am

Rixstar wrote:
And everyone... We can all agree we aren't crossfitters number one fans. but some of the people look good... when they not doing butterlfy pull ups. at least they not on a couch!

Me, walking on thin ice again: May we include step aerobics - ok, still better than couch. :silent: :mrgreen:
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:24 pm

Avocadoshake wrote:
Rixstar wrote:
May we include step aerobics - ok, still better than couch. :silent: :mrgreen:

Hahaha.
Anything that involves hard work (with a good attitude) has my respect. Resolutioners don't.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:05 pm

Good thread - I like how everyone makes their point(s) and rebuttals.

It comes down to focus. You have to have a goal to have focus. You have to have drive and focus to reach the goal. The harder the goal is to reach the more it's worth.

itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by raver on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:05 am

Avocadoshake wrote:
May we include step aerobics - ok, still better than couch. :silent: :mrgreen:

Kangoo jumps anyone? :pbjt: :pbjt: :pbjt:

And on a more serious note, while researching fitness I used to get very obsessed with finding the "perfect" possible workout scenario, and if/when I created my own interpretation of this and I missed a step or day I used to feel very bummed out.
Now, I just try to do what I love every day (this month is martial arts and dancing) and that on it's own I think is very great.
Next month.. we'll see :)

raver
Accomplished
Accomplished

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:36 am

Pick a thing you suck at and try to improve. Here it is TGUs and rope skipping for example. Dancing is on the list also. We (my wife and I) like to improve on that in the future.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:44 am

Dancing... ftw.
I don't know if The Fray is y'all's thing (I do like them), but west coast swing is awesome.

As for TGUs, Avo, somewhere on the forum I have a thread on bryce lane, he has a good TGU routine in there.
I think that steve justa's daily 70% singles routine would also be excellent for improving the TGU.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top