PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Nutrition - Basics

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nutrition - Basics

Post by Smiley27 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:05 pm

Hi, I am training for like 6 months, and havent been paying attention to what I eat, and I want to change it.

Searching online for nutrition tips gave impression its kind of expensive to take care of nutrition that much,
so I made kind of list of 'foods' that are easily accessible in place I live and not hard to afford.
( maybe I missed some stuff but have been living alone for few weeks, so frigg is empty, havent got inspiration )

Potato, Tomato, Rice, Beans, ~?

Apples, Bananas, Oranges, Hazelnuts, Peanuts, ~?

Red meat, Chicken meat, Trout fish , Tuna (can tuna), Turkey, Eggs, ~?

Homemade bread, ~?

~ You can add things that are kind of easy to get access to.

What I want to know is, what to eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner? What to eat before, and after training?

Thanks !

Smiley27
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Re: Nutrition - Basics

Post by Dave on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:17 pm

Watch this video. http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com/t340-the-1-anticancer-vegetable#12090

The moral of it is to eat broccoli, spinach, radichio lettuce, garlic and yellow onions.

Also eat lots of small fish (herring, sardines, mackerel) because they contain negligible or even no mercury.

If you can find free range eggs and grass fed red meats, eat those too if you can, although those tend to be more expensive. They are not strictly necessary though so you are fine if you can't find/afford them.

There you go, the recipe for excellent health.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Smiley27 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:08 am

I kinda asked for diffrent advice, considering pumping some kilos, but this was inspiring and educational. Garlic ftw :chef:

Smiley27
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Smiley27 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:56 pm

What do You think about this article?

http://greatist.com/health/complete-guide-workout-nutrition-infographic

I am kind of mentally burdened with all this nutrition things, lot of fake stuff on internet, so I basicly, have no idea what to eat.. : l darn

Smiley27
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:00 pm

I think (take it however you want) it doesn't matter what you eat when.
As long as you're eating from the right groups and staying within the fat/protein/carb ratios that work for you, you'll be doing great.

You have a good list of foods. Pick and choose what you want.

I like eggs, oatmeal and spinach for breakfast.
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:06 pm

Smiley27 wrote:What do You think about this article?

http://greatist.com/health/complete-guide-workout-nutrition-infographic

I am kind of mentally burdened with all this nutrition things, lot of fake stuff on internet, so I basicallly, have no idea what to eat.. : l darn

MAN! That's a LOT of information! I say simplify or you won't stick with it.
What I said above still works for me.
I might add, I workout in the AM on an empty stomach (just coffee). And have a big meal after. That meal can be anything from your list. Just make sure you're getting enough lean protein and fiber (greens or veggies).
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:28 am

itlives wrote:it doesn't matter what you eat [...] as long as you're eating from the right groups and staying within the fat/protein/carb ratios that work for you [...] You have a good list of foods. Pick and choose what you want.

itlives wrote:simplify or you won't stick with it.[...] Just make sure you're getting enough lean protein and fiber (greens or veggies).

:eat2:
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:40 pm

This was in my mens health book, its not a bad lil table

I have been trying that paleo diet, not bad.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:44 pm

Keep it simple !

That's a good table Rix...very similar to my diet :up: :eat2:
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Smiley27 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:34 pm

Thank You guys, some great advices !

:eat2: :pushup1: :sleep:

Smiley27
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:28 pm

Now, you should introduce yourself and start a workout log. You'll get even more great advice!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by trainingforlife on Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:04 pm

The CrossFit dietary prescription is as follows:
Protein should be lean and varied and account for about 30% of your total caloric load.
Carbohydrates should be predominantly low-glycemic and account for about 40% of your total caloric load.
Fat should be predominantly monounsaturated and account for about 30% of your total caloric load.
Calories should be set at between .7 and 1.0 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass depending on your activity level. The .7 figure is for moderate daily workout loads and the 1.0 figure is for the hardcore athlete.

What Should I Eat?
In plain language, base your diet on garden vegetables, especially greens, lean meats, nuts and seeds, little starch, and no sugar. That's about as simple as we can get. Many have observed that keeping your grocery cart to the perimeter of the grocery store while avoiding the aisles is a great way to protect your health. Food is perishable. The stuff with long shelf life is all suspect. If you follow these simple guidelines you will benefit from nearly all that can be achieved through nutrition.

The Caveman or Paleolithic Model for Nutrition
Modern diets are ill suited for our genetic composition. Evolution has not kept pace with advances in agriculture and food processing resulting in a plague of health problems for modern man. Coronary heart disease, diabetes, cancer, osteoporosis, obesity and psychological dysfunction have all been scientifically linked to a diet too high in refined or processed carbohydrate. Search "Google" for Paleolithic nutrition, or diet. The return is extensive, compelling, and fascinating. The Caveman model is perfectly consistent with the CrossFit prescription.

What Foods Should I Avoid?
Excessive consumption of high-glycemic carbohydrates is the primary culprit in nutritionally caused health problems. High glycemic carbohydrates are those that raise blood sugar too rapidly. They include rice, bread, candy, potato, sweets, sodas, and most processed carbohydrates. Processing can include bleaching, baking, grinding, and refining. Processing of carbohydrates greatly increases their glycemic index, a measure of their propensity to elevate blood sugar.

What is the Problem with High-Glycemic Carbohydrates?
The problem with high-glycemic carbohydrates is that they give an inordinate insulin response. Insulin is an essential hormone for life, yet acute, chronic elevation of insulin leads to hyperinsulinism, which has been positively linked to obesity, elevated cholesterol levels, blood pressure, mood dysfunction and a Pandora's box of disease and disability. Research "hyperinsulinism" on the Internet. There's a gold mine of information pertinent to your health available there. The CrossFit prescription is a low-glycemic diet and consequently severely blunts the insulin response.

Caloric Restriction and Longevity
Current research strongly supports the link between caloric restriction and an increased life expectancy. The incidence of cancers and heart disease sharply decline with a diet that is carefully limited in controlling caloric intake. “Caloric Restriction” is another fruitful area for Internet search. The CrossFit prescription is consistent with this research.
The CrossFit prescription allows a reduced caloric intake and yet still provides ample nutrition for rigorous activity.

trainingforlife
Masterful
Masterful

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoK7PpW9-MZvpiFtiuYVtLg

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon on Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:42 am

Pretty extensive yet succinct breakdown given by trainingforlife.

I think probably the biggest take home message is "Eat whole foods, focusing on lean protein and greens, while avoiding processed, sugary/carb-laden foods."

Jon
Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:02 pm

I liked the "stay on the perimeter of the grocery store" is the best advice I've heard in a long time!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top