PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Anyone play guitar here?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anyone play guitar here?

Post by squatty on Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:27 am

I made a caveman style deal recently, gave my old mp3 player to someone, and instead got his damaged acoustic guitar.
The brand and model of the guitar:
Santana
CG010N
Nylon string

2 strings were broken, and also the plastic "nut" was broken too, I bring it to a guitar shop, the shop owner said it is a good enough guitar and sounds nice as a beginner guitar.
I bought the required strings from the shop owner.
Then carved a new nut out of cow thigh's bone, and replaced the broken plastic nut with the new handmade bone nut.
and then installed the strings.
Everything sounds nice now, and I have began practicing.
I practice 1 hour daily.
I do it like strength training.
I notice everyday my hands are getting faster and more coordinated. I'm observing really fast progress.
I can type really fast with closed eyes on a keyboard, I think that's partly the reason I'm progressing so good on guitar.

My practice so far yet is just this:
-10 mins of chords (G > C > D)
-10 mins of scales (starting from the biggest string, fretting using all four fingers in order, then going to the next string, and once all strings are done, returning in reverse)
-10 mins of chords (D > C > G)
REPEAT ONCE MORE

I may have confusions as I progress further, so please if anyone plays here, introduce yourself so I be able to throw questions if needed :read:
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone play guitar here?

Post by Rix on Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:07 am

I play :) I also teach some family and friends. I don't teach them anything that has to do with playing first of all. I tech them to strengthen their fingers and stretch them. Basically from low e string to highest e string, (tabs) 1234,1234,1234,1234,1234,1234 then 1356,1356 etc. so once they did this they was able to play chords and easy with no issues. I can scan over some tabs for you and notes If you would like?

Good to see you making progress and starting something like guitar :) any help you want or advice inbox me and I could make a video to help you. I do grades so I'm a bit of a stickler for technique and stuff :p

Edit. I forgot, things to help you early on will be; get a metronome as that will increase speed, learn little licks to improve coordination and break you out of scales structure, watch your thumb!!! Keep it straight up for classical playing and 45 degrees for normal playing and keep it on the back of the neck, learn the chords c a g e d this is known as caged system play each chord once all the way through then start from another chord about becomes agedc. Learn smoke on the water haha every guitarist must know this song.

I'm no expert btw just telling you how I teach beginners :). Did you wanna read music too?
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar_maniac on Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:59 am

I also play (as the name implies), i have also teached a bit. U can PM questions to me also. :) Always glad to help a fellow guitarist.

I wuold suggest that instead of learning chords, u learn the theory behind them first, if you're serious about guitar it comes sometimes anyway, and even if you're not. It still helps a LOT.

If you already know about scales it's easy to get basic triad chords from them. Just take the 1,3 and 5th note of the scale and there u go. Learn chords this way. CMaj chord has the notes:C(1) E(3) G(5), find them everywhere on the fretboard. When u got triad chords down, i can help you to move to more complex chords.
You can gain huge amount of fretboard knowledge this way, it also boost your ability to think while you play (boosting up improvision skills madly).

There's no use to memorize the chord fingering positions, there's hundreds of them, u can't memorize them all. But if you know how to build them, you just have to see a chord's name and you know right where to play it (and in many different positions)

Do you know notes names, btw? There's only 12 of them, so they're easy to learn. Imo they're the first things every player should know, no matter the instrument.
Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

http://www.facebook.com/esa.lackstrom

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar_maniac on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:14 am

Rixstar wrote:

Edit. I forgot, things to help you early on will be; get a metronome as that will increase speed, learn little licks to improve coordination and break you out of scales structure, watch your thumb!!! Keep it straight up for classical playing and 45 degrees for normal playing and keep it on the back of the neck, learn the chords c a g e d this is known as caged system play each chord once all the way through then start from another chord about becomes agedc. Learn smoke on the water haha every guitarist must know this song.

I'm no expert btw just telling you how I teach beginners :). Did you wanna read music too?

Concerning the thumb position, much depends on the player, and stuff you're tryinf to do. Jimi Hendrix for example was known for thumbing some chords, it's also used in funk quite a lot. Some players i have encountered can't keep the angles/thumb straight in the back, it just won't work for them.

Smoke! :D We play that aswell as a joke :D It's so boring to play!
Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:01 pm

I play. :)
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:50 pm

Guitar_maniac wrote:
Smoke! :D We play that aswell as a joke :D It's so boring to play!

It has to be learnt tho, just has too :lol!:
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:04 pm

My brother plays too. Bass gitter.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by yob on Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:14 pm

Using guitar pro or similar free programs which read tabs can make it a lot easier to learn songs in my experience. Since you can play along, change the BPM, and loop certain parts of the songs, it definitely helps me get songs down quicker, especially when it comes to timing.

edit: Also I'm curious, are you using a pick on your nylon? Not that there is anything wrong with that.

yob
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:46 pm

Thanks for mentioning those programs yob, I'll probably be checking some of that out!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by yob on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:10 pm

No problem. I wasn't a big fan of Guitar Pro version 6, but you might like it. I found Guitar Pro 5 easier to use, but I don't think they offer free trails for that version anymore. Currently on this computer I'm using a free program TuxGuitar, which also reads powertabs as well as GP files. Not as good as GP5 IMO but it gets the job done.

To find tabs I use 911tabs.com. You can find a lot of Guitar Pro tabs and tabs in general for even some pretty obscure bands.

yob
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:56 am

I play guitar, but I am very very very average at it. I'm much more comfortable behind the drumset.
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:18 am

Okay, let me explain myself:
I like to be an uneducated guitarist (I can't stand learning music theory or reading music YET, I just want to play for now).
So I go with guitar tabs instead of classical music reading.
And yes I play using a pick on nylon.
You all posted useful tips, but some of them were confusing for me, got to work a bit on music terminology to understand your tips better.

For now I have two questions buddies, please answer:
1- My guitar's fretboard doesn't have any mark or sign that help with identifying for example the 18th fret easier and faster. it is completely clear of any marks.
Is it a good idea to scratch the fretboard at some certain frets to mark it for faster fret recognition? or will I get it down without any marks after a certain time of playing?

2- Do you know any good book or DVD for acoustic guitar for beginners? with the least amount of music theory involved. somethings like "acoustic guitar for the caveman" ?
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon on Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:58 am

Dave.cyco wrote:My brother plays too. Bass gitter.

While I can play reg'lar old six string guitar competently as well, bass is where I'm most at home.

Jon
Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar_maniac on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:34 am

squatty wrote:Okay, let me explain myself:
I like to be an uneducated guitarist (I can't stand learning music theory or reading music YET, I just want to play for now).
So I go with guitar tabs instead of classical music reading.
And yes I play using a pick on nylon.
You all posted useful tips, but some of them were confusing for me, got to work a bit on music terminology to understand your tips better.

For now I have two questions buddies, please answer:
1- My guitar's fretboard doesn't have any mark or sign that help with identifying for example the 18th fret easier and faster. it is completely clear of any marks.
Is it a good idea to scratch the fretboard at some certain frets to mark it for faster fret recognition? or will I get it down without any marks after a certain time of playing?

2- Do you know any good book or DVD for acoustic guitar for beginners? with the least amount of music theory involved. somethings like "acoustic guitar for the caveman" ?

The reason i suggested learning a bit chord theory is cause it really makes u progress faster in the end. Also u learn a bit of what chord works with what, can just strum your own stuff and make it sound good. A.K.A building a good foundation ;) Music theory is interesting when u study it, challenging and rewarding. Tho i remember when i started it, i felt the same way u did, just weren't interested. And if you play scales already, it's not a big thing to think about what are the three specific notes in them.

1.Usually on guitar's there's a mark on 3,5,7,9,12,15,17,19,21,24 frets on the wood. I'f u don't want to scratch the wood, use a marker pen? I can't really answer to will u get it down without them, i had marks in all my guitars. but scratching the wood little won't do any damage either.

Can't answer for number two, haven't used many dvd's. I'm a subscriber to Guitar World, and sometimes buy Guitar Techniques magazine. great places to learn, there's also videos of every exercise on their site, free to watch, even if you are not buying the mag. They aren't exactly for beginners, but keep in mind :)
Google is also a great source, youtube is full of instructional videos, both from professional teachers and amateurs.

I'm also using tuxguitar, great software (and legally free to use)! Have passed some tabs on to my students about scales and technique exercises, so give me a holler if someone needs something specific :)
Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:30 am

Thanks for your helps and support.
I know you mentioned to ask my questions via pm, but if you are okay with this, I prefer posting them here, hoping this thread will help someone else in the future.

Recently I added 3 stretching exercises to my practice routine, and also finally started learned a song (Nothing else matters by Metallica).

NEW QUESTION:
While playing "Nothing else matters", I noticed there's some chords like this:
x3x550

How is it possible to strum something like this using a pick?
Wait a minute, does this mean this song can't be played using a pick? and for playing it I should learn fingerpicking?
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:04 pm

You can either finger pick it. Or pluck each string at a time. Or don't play the top string and lean your finger over a lil to mute the string. Hopes that helps. In on my phone so I can't explain well :(
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar_maniac on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:02 pm

squatty wrote:
NEW QUESTION:
While playing "Nothing else matters", I noticed there's some chords like this:
x3x550

How is it possible to strum something like this using a pick?
Wait a minute, does this mean this song can't be played using a pick? and for playing it I should learn fingerpicking?

Just put your fingers like:
------------
---5---------
---5---------
------------
---3---------
------------

The finger on third fret should just barely touch the string below, you can test it by picking the string, if it won't ring, you've done it! It's hard to explain, should show it on webcam.. :D Same technique can also be applied to the above string, but puts your finger into awkward position (Since you have to just barely touch E string, then completely touch A string and again just barely touch D string) i would strum the chord from A string and leave E string out of it completely. Octave riffs are pretty usual these days in rock/metal (played using the same technique, the finger that's fretting the second fret, mutes the string in between):
-------
-------
-4-4--
-x-x--
-2-2--
-------

Fingerpicking on acoustic is great (especially to ladies..), Romanza is a great, and easy spanish fingerpicking song to learn, the tempo is free of choice, everyone plays it the way they want, the first part especially is EASY and sounds great:

Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:34 pm

Guitar maniac, I been learning from a book called troy stetina speed mechanics, quite a popular book in the uk, not sure about anywhere else but it probly is... Got great technique work in. learnt to shread today, triplets and sixlets, but only going down the neck on one string.

Squatty, subscribe to this guy on youtube, he pretty good teacher.

Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:19 am

All these days I've been practicing G>C>D and D>C>G and this routine:
Code:

------------------------4---1----------------------------------------------5---2-----------------------------------------
----------------4-----3------2------1-----------------------------5-----4------3------2--------------------------------
-------4------3-----2---------3------2-----1-------------5-----4-----3---------4------3-----------2------------------
-----3------2-----1-------------4------3-----2---------4-----3-----2-------------5------4-----------3----------------
---2------1-------------------------------4-----3------3-----2------------------------------5-----------4--------------
-1-------------------------------------------------4---2----------------------------------------------------5------------

All the way down the neck, and the all the way back again...
My fingers have changed, they are familiar with the fretboard now, I think I'm ready for the first song now.

Anyone know any easy songs using the G, C, D chords? which have some melody in it too. It will be my first song to learn.
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:15 pm

Guns and roses :) knocking on heavens door. Enjoy!
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:16 pm

Might be a minor actually. Well look up g n r songs, they all based around those chords. Almost
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:58 pm

Let's group up guys. We should write a tune, or pick one, just an easy one at first (I'm a bit out of practice), and then each of us records a part and we nominate someone with a decent bit of video editing ability to produce them all together so we are playing all the same piece together.

You know, just for fun.

Anyone interested?
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:03 pm

I guess it doesn't even have to be that easy, because each of us can play into it with his own style and ability...

Esa, let's hear you roar!

Anyway, if nobody has the video capability, I can still possibly come up with something. At the very least I use an audio sequencing program that can mix tracks and so I can create the backing track to go over a few videos arranged in sequence.

I think it would be fun.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:32 am

I'm in, as long as it doesn't have a lot of chords and is mostly melody.
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:12 am

Would love to but I'm away all month. I recorded the song on my bridging video. And I have all ready written a lot of instrumental pieces. Santana style.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar_maniac on Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:52 am

Seem's interesting and fun! I'm in!
Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar_maniac on Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:15 am

squatty wrote:
Anyone know any easy songs using the G, C, D chords? which have some melody in it too. It will be my first song to learn.

All of AC/DC's song are mainly on A D G, not exactly what you were asking for, but they have some melodies in there too.
Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:27 am

Can you post an example tab for me please?
A tab which can be called a "song" by itself without any other instrument needed other than only one guitar.
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar_maniac on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:21 am

This is one well-known song of theirs, chord names are also on tab. It's not straightly just strumming but chord notes picked and made into melody.

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/a/ac_dc/you_shook_me_all_night_long_ver13_tab.htm

Here's the song itself!

Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:35 am

To be honest, I guess I was actually more hoping we could come up with something altogether new... That way, squatty doesn't have to play chords, but I can if I want to, and Esa can shred, Rix can drop some hooks and melodies... when he gets back in a few weeks. ;)

Nothing is more fun than the creative process.

So how about this: After work tonight, I'll throw down a basic drum track, and upload it to youtube, and then we can each decide/agree on what kind of bass line goes in it, and who will play what part and when...

Cool?

I figure we should all get each other's email addresses so we can start sharing our files back and forth... I'll send you guys an email after work as well using your PhysicialCulture registration emails (PM me if you want me to use a different one).
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:55 am

Sounds cool, isn't being in a band one of the best ways to learn to play faster? I'm in.
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:06 am

Squatty, do you have Skype and a webcam??
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:09 am

Unfortunately not, never bought a webcam because that's mostly useless here with the sluggish internet speed we have here.
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top