PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

what does everybody think about this person?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

what does everybody think about this person?

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:21 pm

i know this guy that's overweight, eats unhealthy, does not exercise, is 34 years old without even one semester of college, and he likes to make fun of people who are trying to be successful for no reason. if he doesn't want to get an education or exercise, fine; but i'm really annoyed how he keeps making fun of me even though i'm completely the opposite of him. i think he makes fun of other people to feel better about himself. and if this is the case, am i better than this person?

i know that saying i'm better than anyone is wrong, but this guy seems so unproductive and i hate his personality. he's a loser.

i just want to know if i should at all times feel superior to this bum. he annoys the hell out of me and i can't stand his mere existence

Back to top Go down

Re: what does everybody think about this person?

Post by TheMasterKey on Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:48 pm

Playa wrote:i know this guy that's overweight, eats unhealthy, does not exercise, is 34 years old without even one semester of college, and he likes to make fun of people who are trying to be successful for no reason. if he doesn't want to get an education or exercise, fine; but i'm really annoyed how he keeps making fun of me even though i'm completely the opposite of him. i think he makes fun of other people to feel better about himself. and if this is the case, am i better than this person?

Imo, yes.

People are not equal.

I would cut this person out of my life.
TheMasterKey
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by trainingforlife on Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:57 pm

IMO just let it go...if you feel he is not worth being around then so be it just move on with your life.

Last edited by trainingforlife on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:00 pm; edited 2 times in total

trainingforlife
Masterful
Masterful

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoK7PpW9-MZvpiFtiuYVtLg

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:57 pm

A person is only as good as his thinking or habits. The reason it's not really right to say I am better than so and so is because we always have to ask ourselves what level we would stoop to, have stooped to, or (God forbid) will stoop to under difficult or otherwise troublesome circumstances.

No man is an island and not one of us has all the answers or a superhuman threshold for pain, whether emotional or physical, and I believe that EVERY one of us has his or her breaking point, it's just that not every one of us will be so unfortunate as to be thrust into it.

That said, I also believe that some people live productive and successful lives all the while being exposed to tremendous stressors that would destroy others, and yet these others experience little to no real stress but go on to self destruct anyway.

In the end, the answer is NO you are not better than him in terms of inherent human rights and dignity, but YES you are better than he has allowed himself to become through his poor choice of behaviors, but furthermore, such behaviors often come with a forfeiture of a certain degree of inherent rights and dignity - to the extent that the person has violated those same rights in others.

However, it is not our place to sit in such judgment over such a person as to seek retribution, but as TMK and Zazen (trainingforlife) said, just get away from that guy. Run as far and as fast as you can or he WILL drag you down.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:30 pm

Why ask us (random people you don't know on an internet forum) for permission to feel 'superior' so that you can look down on him?
If you hate spending time with him/being around him/his personality, don't hang with him.
/thread, imo.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:40 pm

i am better than he has allowed himself to become. NICE! thank you Dave.cyco

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:50 pm

@ journeyman

why not ask?

besides, i want to feel superior to this idiot. and the more people who agree to how this guy is just a liability to the earth's resources, the better i feel. why? cause i f***** hate this guy

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:37 pm

Playa wrote:@ journeyman

i want to feel superior to this idiot. and the more people who agree to how this guy is just a liability to the earth's resources, the better i feel. why? cause i f***** hate this guy

That's... kinda sad. Pathetic even... jmo. :lol:
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:26 am

what is sad? my hating him? trust me, you would want to kill him too if you knew him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:31 am

Playa wrote:

besides, i want to feel superior to this idiot. and the more people who agree to how this guy is just a liability to the earth's resources, the better i feel. why? cause i f***** hate this guy

Now I understand the need for a reputation rating!
Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:59 am

Cut him loose. He'll just drag you down to his level if he can. Don't give him the chance.
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:48 am

Playa wrote:what is sad? my hating him? trust me, you would want to kill him too if you knew him.
Maybe I would, but I probably wouldn't want to kill him... I definitely wouldn't try to make myself feel better by trash-talking him to people I don't even know, on the internet.
:crybaby: :blah:
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:48 am

Rastaman wrote:
Playa wrote:

Now I understand the need for a reputation rating!

Mm-hrm.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:24 am

I'd fade him out mentally
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:56 am

No one is better than anyone in this world, that guy would fit right in with someone else, just not you anymore so fade him out slowly and move on with your life, dont concern yourself with trying to think your better than him - its not a healthy attitude my friend. I have done this with friends, they wanted to carry on partying/drink/drugs/fight and tried to put me down because i wanted to do different things with my life and take on new things... I didnt put them down or feel superior, instead i faded them out slowly but politely so one day i can be friends with them again maybe.

This Attitude of feeling superior is why we have a lot of issues in the world, please dont let yourself get roped into this mentality, your not better than him, you are just different and he is not your cup of tea! So i have to agree with Journeyman on this point.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar_maniac on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:57 am

This goes a little bit out of topic, but during my days as a guard, i have seen the most saddest people and the thought has crossed to my mind why are they here? Every living being has the right to live yes, but it just seems somehow.. wrong when they get 800 euros from wellfare every month in here, they drink it, when they run out of it, they steal or they mug. And at the same time some single mother tries to get food for her kids.

I have carried people out of supermarket bathrooms who pissed on themselfs and puked on, drink the handwashing liquid to get some more alcohol, sometimes later, i've seen those same drunks fighting over each other, later i saw them getting caught the police etc, they don't contribute anything, they just cause harm. I can't help but to think that why do we pay for them, they get the same amount of money that i do when i'm studying and trying to make my life better.

And talking about prisoners, there was recently a cruel case of child killing in finland. 8 year old girl, there was a lot of mental and physical abuse in the past (she was beaten, force fed, and called a fat whore every once in a while bu her stepmom, forced to run around the yard as a punishment for over 100 laps, forced to walk 4km to school sometimes), the way she died took 6-8 hours of slowly choking her. She was wrapped in sheets, they were taped together, her parents just kept her in a sofa wrapped the whole evening/part of the night, she was little out of breath all the time and eventually died. Now, these two people, her stepmom and dad, cost tax payers for 40 000 euros a year, at least (+ the trial costs). They will be kept in protection inside the prison, so the cost goes up. IMO these people do not deserve to live, making sure they live cost more than average pay in a year for a decent, lawful human.

Torturing a child till she dies, and then the taxpayers pay it, all that money should be put to healthcare, education or science, not to them.

http://yle.fi/uutiset/8-year_old_girls_murder_trial_begins/6523562

http://yle.fi/uutiset/child_welfare_officials_under_investigation_in_death_of_8-year_old_girl/6279619

Last edited by Guitar_maniac on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

http://www.facebook.com/esa.lackstrom

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:02 am

:( thats sad :(
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:13 am

Every now and then a similar case comes to light. That makes you sad, especially when having children and trying to care for them. Trying, to overcome your own shortcomings - which are actually "minuscule" aka petty if you're a true caring parent.

But taking the life of those people wouldn't make us any better than them imho.

Last edited by Avocadoshake on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar_maniac on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:19 am

If anyone's interested about this crime or how cruel humans can be, this is a straight translation about her life what was documented:

"6year old Erika moved in to live with his dad and his new stepmom to a _single room_ apartment. His dad convinced the child welfare about getting a bigger apartment soon. While living there Erika met constant violence, during the police investigation, stepmom was the one who took iniative on the violence, and blamed the father for not keeping borders for his own child. Police had found images and videos on their computer where they humiliated the crying girl, scenes where she is crying and force feeding while she is puking.

Stepmom called names and threatened the child, destroyed her school books and other stuff. The girl was forced to run in the yard. She had bruises on her face, she was always looking tired, and also had bald spots on her head. Neighbours, the girl real mother and school tired to find out what happened, but the girl never said a word, child welfare was notified but those only resolved to talking with her dad (that's why the police investigation has started on child welfare).

When she died, it was the 25th she was wrapped. During that night on mothers day, her hands were tied behind her back by cable tie's, she was wrapped sheets and a tarp. She resisted, and then stepmom hit her stomach with her fist, and the bottom of her foot by a electric cord. Her face was covered with sheet, mouth and nose were taped over, eventually she died of suffocating. it took 4-6 hours (remembered it wrong last post, sorry)

Her stepmom suffered from mental illnes, dad had a previous history of sex crimes towards underage girl. The girl real mother weren't able to take care of her, idk why. That's why she was given to her father.

That one time Erika was taken to a child's home, was because her dad said she had behavioral issues, but nothing was proven/noticed about her behavior, and Erika was given back to his father.
Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:21 am

The parents should've been killed.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:23 am

Maybe you should post this in the Deep thoughts section GM! would be an interesting topic.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar_maniac on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:28 am

I'll look for some good all-around link and translate it to the DT section in the evening if i have the time/when i have the time :D There's a lot of info about this case on finnish media/sites.
Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:52 pm

evil people everywhere. what to do with them? you know what? i'll bet if they found some sort of physical activity that they like, they would all get along. i'll bet if the president of north korea and obama were to play a game of basketball and work off a sweat, the north korean president would be like: screw all this death threat and violence crap, let's get fit!

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:54 pm

the evil people are not the problem, the problem is what makes them evil!
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar_maniac on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:47 pm

Playa wrote:evil people everywhere. what to do with them? you know what? i'll bet if they found some sort of physical activity that they like, they would all get along. i'll bet if the president of north korea and obama were to play a game of basketball and work off a sweat, the north korean president would be like: screw all this death threat and violence crap, let's get fit!

This :D I have noticed similar effect, some friends who were bored with their life, angry all the time because of it, calmed down after a good workout. They said they felt good, relaxed and have continued since. Sad that i have only gotten 3 of my friends to gym with me, or doing some other activity. Everyone else is just "naaaah, it's not my thing, i'm fed up anyway, if it ain't tv and a sofa, it ain't fun!"
Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:12 pm

Playa wrote:besides, i want to feel superior to this idiot. and the more people who agree to how this guy is just a liability to the earth's resources, the better i feel. why? cause i f***** hate this guy

But if this is how he makes you feel and act... he owns you, therefore he is superior.
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:47 pm

^ Great way of lookin at it.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:52 pm

X2 ^^

my comment got ignored earlier haha not bothered tho as this says it all.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisTG on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:13 pm

Rixstar wrote:No one is better than anyone in this world, ...

This Attitude of feeling superior is why we have a lot of issues in the world, please dont let yourself get roped into this mentality, your not better than him, you are just different and he is not your cup of tea! So i have to agree with Journeyman on this point.

This is the philosophy I live by. I always try to understand other views (grok them, if you will), and don't believe that anyone is intrinsically better than anyone else. Better depends only on what criteria you choose to judge by, and what makes your criteria better than any other? It might work for you, but they aren't you and vice versa (and your criteria could very well be wrong for you too).

Fatman wrote:
Playa wrote:besides, i want to feel superior to this idiot. and the more people who agree to how this guy is just a liability to the earth's resources, the better i feel. why? cause i f***** hate this guy

But if this is how he makes you feel and act... he owns you, therefore he is superior.

Awesomely well said.

Rixstar wrote:my comment got ignored earlier haha not bothered tho as this says it all.

Some of us get through the forum once a week and are a little slow keeping up with things 8)

ChrisTG
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:22 pm

Well said Chris, i liked your comment coz you quoted me :D hahaha
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:24 pm

Lots of good comments in here guys. Fatman, wholly cow, blown away by your razor sharp logic! :shock: Very well said man.

Iliander, you said "the parents should have been killed"

You might be surprised to hear me say this, but if they are indeed guilty of such things, and if a legitimate authority pronounced capital punishment for their sin/crime, then I would have nothing to say about it (because I agree with St. Thomas' position on murder - http://www.newadvent.org/summa/3064.htm#article3).
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bananasmoothie on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:34 pm

Difficult topic.
Concerning the death sentence, I am torn. On the one hand, yes, it is understandable that many think that any person who does such horrible things to any other person clearly deserves the same fate. On the other hand, absolutely NO - killing someone for the crimes he / she committed is not the solution.

But I began to write my answer to reply to the first poster. I do not think that any human is better than any other human. Human is human, all equal, period. You can try to improve / work on yourself, to feel more confident and happy / content, or to be admired by others. But this does not make you better. You may feel that you have accomplished more, but this is only your point of view. And as such, it is skewed.
I try to give a example: Imagine you are in a supermarket, and you witness a classic meltdown of a two year old in front of the sweets. Very very VERY easy to judge the parent as a bad parent, very tempting to think that your own (future) child would never ever behave like this because you would bring it up properly. Oh, little did I know.... There are so many reasons (and sometimes no clear reason at all) for such meltdowns, and many that have nothing to do with parenting.
Long story short: You never know why someone behaves as he / she does, be it a toddler or an adult. It is so easy to feel smug and superior, but does this feel good to you? Really? If you look down on someone, are you really above him? I admit that I am still working on this issue for myself, and sometimes, it is not easy.
Bananasmoothie
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:30 pm

Playa wrote:

i just want to know if i should at all times feel superior to this bum. he annoys the hell out of me and i can't stand his mere existence

We are all slaves to something. It could be money, sex, working out, food, anything that has you captured.
Look past this guy to things that matter and don't be a slave to your emotions.

Well said Fatman!
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:40 pm

Regarding the initial topic of this post, I'd have to agree with Fatman. It definitely seems as though this character is exerting some kind of control of you. I'd also have to echo the sentiments of many others, it is best to do what you can to ignore this person, or get them out of your life. Associating with negative people who are unsupportive is a good way to bog yourself down.

On the issue of crime and punishment that has come up, I think there are a few things to keep in mind. First off, it's terrible what people are capable of, and for extreme crimes like the example given by Guitar Maniac involving the torture and death of a child in Finland, punishment should exist. I'd rather not resort to capital punishment, but the truth is that I'm not 100% against it either.

I'm going to go off on a bit of a tangent here. Let's forget about capital punishment for a moment, and focus on crimes not quite as heinous as torture and murder. I've noticed that many people are out for the perpetrator's blood when they hear about some given crime. Say some forms of assault or theft; crimes that have a serious negative impact on the victims, but don't always stop them from being able to live a normal life. I know those are incredibly vague examples, but please, indulge me. So now, the perpetrator of the crime has been tried, and indicted. Most people are glad they're being punished. But, many of these people are also mad that it costs tax-payer's money to keep these people in jail. At this point, I think it's important to remember that an important part of the modern criminal justice system should be rehabilitation. Many people that do terrible things are 100% capable of being reintegrated into society as contributing members. Most justice systems do a terrible job of achieving this as they are focused on punishment. If this person can be rehabilitated, then the cost to society for their incarceration/rehabilitation will be worth it, as that makes one less person in jail, and one more person contributing to the economy and society at large.

I know this is a fairly idealistic outlook, but think about the kind of treatment you'd hope to receive in that situation. People that are mostly good can end up doing bad things. Being reminded of the good they can do can be empowering. The other side of the coin is that telling a good person they are bad, and treating them as such can make it all come true.

Jon
Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:01 pm

Totes forgot about this thread. Good times. :laugh2:
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:53 pm

Playa wrote:i'm really annoyed how he keeps making fun of me even though i'm completely the opposite of him. i think he makes fun of other people to feel better about himself. and if this is the case, am i better than this person?

Caution: elliott hulse drops an f-bomb, but otherwise lays it on the line:

Last edited by Dave.cyco on Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:06 pm

Dave.cyco wrote:
Playa wrote:i'm really annoyed how he keeps making fun of me even though i'm completely the opposite of him. i think he makes fun of other people to feel better about himself. and if this is the case, am i better than this person?
Heh, I forgot about that. "Makes fun of other people to feel better about himself..." kinda like the whole premise of this thread, no?
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:15 pm

It seems so, doesn't it?
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top