PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Glinda's Humble Log of 2012 - the final 31 days.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Glinda's Humble Log of 2012 - the final 31 days.

Post by Glinda on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:13 am

First workout to go onto the new log!

On Saturday, I had a bit of extra time for the gym.

I warmed up with BodyFlow - a yoga/pilates flow class. I skipped the savasana (where you lie down at the end and melt) and went into weights. Didn't do as much on my squats and bench as before as I noticed I was a tiny bit dizzy and focused more on form and reps.

Bench - bar x12, bar + 90lbs - x4, x5, x4
Squat - bar x12, +90lbs x 9, 140 lbx x6, x5

Deadlift - bar + 90lbs x6, +110 x5 - and got a great tip from a trainer who had been watching me in my previous lifts, and said that although my back and shoulders were great, I should use the thrust of my hips more - so I'll apply that next time
Back row - +70lbs x6, tried 90 and failed, went back to 70lbs and did 5 more

Shoulder press - bar x 10, +25lbs x6, +35lbs x5, x5
Pull ups - 1x, -2x, -2x and I finally got the feel of proper negative pushups!

Hanging leg lifts x8, x5, x6
Dips x3, x3, x2

Back exercises

Cool down - stretches every which way. My flexibility is really returning and I'm very pleased.
A nice workout all in all. I can still feel it a bit and I'm going to enjoy my cardio tomorrow.

Glinda
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Re: Glinda's Humble Log of 2012 - the final 31 days.

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:07 am

Glinda, have you done any swings? They are a good way to groove the hip thrust movement that powers the deadlift and the quick pulls.
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:10 am

Glinda! Cheesedog is right, time for you to join our December 2012 Swings Challenge! All you have to do to qualify is swing something and post into your signature with your weight (in kg) x reps.

Join us!
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:06 pm

swing, Glinda, Glinda, Swing!
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Glinda on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:51 pm

Warm up: circles, kicks, knee to elbow, 10 very sluggish burpees, squats and bench with bar.

Squats: +110lbs x8, +140lbs x6, +160lbs x5
Bench: +90lbs x6, +100lbs x4, +90lbs x4

Deadlifts- I was supposed to do what I did for squats. But my hands were uncooperative and I'd feel the weighted bar slipping out of my fingers before I'd even taken it off the hook. I managed +100lbs x4, x4 and worried about dropping it each time. A trainer (different one from last time) noticed that I was sulking and suggested alternate hand grip. Did 7 reps of +100lbs. Felt better and planning for next time.

Back row: +70lbs, x5, x5, x4

Shoulder press: bar x 10, +40lbs x4, x4, x4
Pull up: -2x (held the first for 4 seconds), -2x, -2x

Hanging leg lift - 6x, 6x, 5x. -really sucked on this today.
Dips x4, 3x, 2x

Stretched out but did not do back exercises due to running overtime and having an appointment.

Note: I am looking at swings on YouTube. I think I can do dumbell swings and will figure out how to incorporate them soon. Think I'll start at 25, 30lbs - is that a good weight? I want it heavy enough to feel the motion, but that I can control it. Because once again, my grip is... wanting.

Glinda
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:04 am

Try to do your deadlifts double overhand as often as possible, but don't be afraid to used the alternate (aka mixed) grip when your grip starts to fail or become too slippery from sweat. Just make sure, however, that you remember to switch sides, so that you do not develop imbalances. Do one set with you left hand pronated and right supinated, and then reverse each hand the next set and so on...

With a dumbbell, you will likely be doing one handed swings, I don't see two handed being very easy with a dumbbell. You'd just get in the way of yourself. But one handed, alternating is good.

Yes, 25 pounds will be a good place to start. You could keep working your way up until you feel your grip can hold out for ten full controlled reps, then do sets of 5-8. Just one of many possible options.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Glinda on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:48 am

Cardio this morning. I've been increasingly bored and that doesn't exactly help improve one's performance, so today I upped the resistance to 15 instead of 10 and started interval training back to Phase 1. And I actually had to pay attention to timing and was able to maintain intensity. Nor did I get distracted/get lost in thought as I've been doing.

Not kickass, but I'll take it.

Glinda
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexandra on Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:24 pm

Good luck with your workouts, Glinda, they are looking good.

take care,

Alexandra
Alexandra
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Glinda on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:42 pm

Thanks Alexandra!

I have now flown out to BC to visit the folks for a nice, long Christmas holiday. I managed a workout on Saturday morning and then once I recovered from travelling (including an unexpected overnight in Calgary) I have figured out a workout schedule and routine.

Yesterday, explored a local activity centre with a 25 meter pool (with other cool features like a "river" along the side) got a punch card membership and got about 450 meteres in before my breathing indicated no more.

Other workouts will have to be in the basement. My Dad a few years ago outfitted a corner of it with a berber carpet, a tiny workout bench and a punching bag for me (and its used by the grandkids as well). It's not really "geared up" but it will do for a bodyweight routine, which is what I'll be doing for the next 12 days.

Today's routine:

Warm up- limb circles, kicks, knee to elbow, 10 basic pushups, 10 bodyweight squats

Set 1
Combo pushups (wide, regular, narrow) 10
Back extensions 15
V or boat sit ups - I reach up to a "v" but I never go down all the way to the floor, and I do bend my legs 15
Plie squats w/pulse 10

Set 2
Pike push ups 10
Locusts (on belly, lifting up legs straight from behind) 15
Reclining twists with straight legs 15, each side
Single leg squats - 10 each side

I did two sets of the above, before my mom came down to tell me to hurry up. So I did my back exercises then and a cool down stretch.

Glinda
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Glinda on Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:22 pm

Had aborted workout yesterday - not much got done after some pushups. Yay for visiting parents!

However, today I managed to get out of the house with the car by 6:30 and get to the pool where I did at least 500m. I'm not sure how much exactly because there were a couple of points where I lost count in the middle of my lap and I went with the lower possible number.

I lose count sometimes, because I am a weak and inconsistent swimmer. I love it, but I spend a lot of time going, "ok, kick, kick -whoops remember to move your arms more, that's more like it, ok, now start kicking again... hey look at me I am moving my legs AND my arms at the same time!"

So yeah, I lose count. But I'm sure it was at least 500m.

Glinda
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:19 pm

Glinda - if you get into swings, you can do them with dumbbells 2-handed. I do them all the time with the heavier weights. I wrap the supporting hand around the outside of the grabbing hand. Works for me, anyway.
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:44 pm

Glinda wrote:I love it, but I spend a lot of time going, "ok, kick, kick -whoops remember to move your arms more, that's more like it, ok, now start kicking again... hey look at me I am moving my legs AND my arms at the same time!"

:lol: Probably better than I might have done... I can't remember the last time I swam, although I do love it as well. I just don't like the idea of swimming in chlorine (or toxic waste).
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Glinda on Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:40 am

Swam 700 m the other day, 600m today (I was rushed and had to do family errands).... and my other workouts are just not going well.

And now, back to endless wrapping of gifts...

Glinda
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top