PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

back again

View previous topic View next topic Go down

back again

Post by Minos on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:28 pm

Hey all,

I was on BWC but had been inactive for a long time until I posted something a week ago and Dave.cyco was nice enough to steer me in the direction of this new board!

I'm in much the same situation I was in when I started on BWC, mainly interested in building up my pectoral muscles after a botched gynecomastia surgery. I worked as a gardener for a year and so my arms, back, and legs put on some bulk from lifting, shoveling, digging, planting enormous trees, etc but my chest is still lagging really far behind. I enjoyed it immensely but it didn't pay enough for me to live on and in my neck of the woods it isn't a career. Most jobs are part time without health insurance, even for seasoned professionals. So I'm trying for something better.

I do an upper body routine 3x a week and I've been trying to shovel down food to get it to grow. Its been difficult to exercise consistently because I have depression regarding what my chest looks like now, and gaining muscle also means gaining some fat which exacerbates how underdeveloped my chest is, but what can you do? Its a process.

I do 3 sets of each exercise aiming for 8-10 good reps, then I increase the difficulty. I do ring dips and pull ups, decline push ups and horizontal ring rows. Currently, I can't even do 1 unassisted ring dip and I can do maybe 3 strict pull ups (but still can't manage to get my chest to the bar) so I think BW exercise still holds quite a bit of potential for me. I'm also 24 years old, male, 5'4" and ~135 lbs so I'm no hulk. At work I eventually worked up to being able to lift 70 lb bags of soil off the ground into a truck, but I was never able to do it with proper form and because of my height I would have to contort myself to get it in there because we had the tallest truck.

I live in a small apartment in a city so I have an iron gym and I hang some gymnastic rings off of it for my dips and rows. Like many people, I'm struggling to find work that can financially sustain me, and I have just never been a gym person, so I prefer working out at home.

So yeah, that's me, if anyone has any advice, critique or words of wisdom, lay it on me!

Thanks. :)

Minos
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Re: back again

Post by Avocadoshake on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:33 pm

So welcome back! What I found out by accident is, that kettlebell equators do really pump up the chest. It's basically moving a weight from one hand to he other around the waist.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:43 pm

Welcome Minos! Glad you came here and hope to see you start a workout log so we can watch your progress!
Don't be a lurker! BWE is perfect for a city boy! You don't need no stinking gym!
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:41 am

Welcome back.
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:02 am

Welcome Minos!
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:20 am

Welcome mate, glad you found your way here!
Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by alexander_a on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:45 am

I live in a small apartment as well but most things can be done with little space. For building the chest with little strain, I think this pushup trick will serve you well: On the way down, go really slow and put youe will into driving the hands together(they stay at the same place on the floor, so it's more of a static squeeze). At the bottom, hold for 2-3 s, reaaally squeezing, and then explode up under control. You won't get as many reps as usual but who cares, it's a chest pump finisher after your ring dip work. I think that's good to learn how to engage the pecs with pushing exercises, if you are shoulder/triceps dominant.

glad to see you here mate!

alexander_a
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top