PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

uneven pushups hurt my wrists

View previous topic View next topic Go down

uneven pushups hurt my wrists

Post by David3060 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:55 pm

I'm following the convict conditioning progress and reached the uneven pushups, the movement itself felt kind of strange for me and my shoulders and wrists hurt bad after this + my chest seems to get a better workout with previous variations...I stopped training for a week to let my joints rest.

Should I use pushup handles? Do you know a safer way to train for the one arm pushup?

Also, any other more advanced chest exercises suggestions will be great :up:

David3060
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Re: uneven pushups hurt my wrists

Post by MF! on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:38 am

Handles are a good option. Also doing push ups from your fists or finger tips will help save your wrists.

You should do more with regards to wrist ROM and conditioning when you aren't doing push ups. Definitely going through wrist stretches will help, as well was working on grip strength and finger extension exercises.
MF!
Adept
Adept

http://traceurversusbboy.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:56 am

All this :^:
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:34 am

If your shoulders hurt you might not be 'packing' them properly, or, you aren't tucking your elbows in.

x3 on what MF said.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:17 am

Have you considered dropping back to close Pushups again and consolidating this step?

Maybe try diamond Pushups with your feet elevated and work up to the progression standard again, before moving on to uneven push ups.

Make sure when you are progressing through CC one arm push, that you incorporate 1 arm planks as well.

How are your wrists with bridging and HeSPU?

Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by David3060 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:28 pm

Thanks everyone,

Can wrist stretches really increase the ROM of the wrists beyond 90 degrees?

about handles and fists, I'll give it a try, it looks to my a bit odd to try more advanced variations on my fists tho.

Jman - should the shoulder be packed all the time and the elbows be kept close to the body?

Rastaman - I had these pains only after the uneven pushups, after HSPU I have a minor wrist pain that I consider to be normal due to the pressure that this exercise put on the wrists.

David3060
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:26 pm

David3060 wrote:Can wrist stretches really increase the ROM of the wrists beyond 90 degrees?

Of course.

about handles and fists, I'll give it a try, it looks to my a bit odd to try more advanced variations on my fists tho.

Why?

should the shoulder be packed all the time and the elbows be kept close to the body?

For pressing I keep my elbows tucked and shoulders packed as much as possible because flared elbows cause shoulder discomfort and pain. For pullups, however, I unpack my shoulders at the bottom and let them stretch, because keeping them packed at the bottom of the hang causes discomfort and pain.

I had these pains only after the uneven pushups, after HSPU I have a minor wrist pain that I consider to be normal due to the pressure that this exercise put on the wrists.

Your body can adapt to many stresses, this one included. I had the same problem, but I cut down on frequency and make sure to stretch my wrists at any sign of discomfort and they are fine.

I'm sure Jman and Rastaman will have more to say as well.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by David3060 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:25 pm

Dave.cyco wrote:
David wrote:about handles and fists, I'll give it a try, it looks to my a bit odd to try more advanced variations on my fists tho.

Why?

well planche pushups can be done on parallettes, one arm pushups with good form on the fist? can someone here do that?

David3060
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:18 pm

David3060 wrote:
Jman - should the shoulder be packed all the time and the elbows be kept close to the body?

Yes.
Also, for HSPU, if you have pressure on your wrists try turning your hands out just a bit so your fingers are facing more towards the sides, or use parallettes.
I've done one arm pushups on my fists, never really got comfortable doing HSPU that way, though.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:12 am

How long have you been following CC for and how long did you spend on close Pushups?

Personally I found the step from Close to uneven Pushups to be quite a large one. Although you might be at a stronger position than I was at that time.

Spend atleast 10 minutes on wrist, elbow and shoulder mobility/ stretching drills before any Pushups/HeSPU/Bridging. If I don't do this I tend to have problems.

Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by David3060 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:35 pm

I am doing pushups for a while, before I started CC, I moved to uneven pushups when I was able to do 3x15 diamond pushups.

I'll add more warm-up to my training, thanks for the help everyone .

David3060
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top