PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Raw chicken meat, is it safe?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Raw chicken meat, is it safe?

Post by squatty on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:07 am

Is it safe to eat raw chicken meat?
I mean no parasites?
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Re: Raw chicken meat, is it safe?

Post by Iliander on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:53 am

I think the problem is you don't know if it is safe or not, because both are possible.

I don't think most meat is meant to be eaten raw.

Why do you wanna eat raw chicken meat?
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:57 am

I think chickens are one of the dirtiest animals people eat. I would never eat it raw.
Are they outlawing fire over there, too? :eyebrows:
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:58 am

No, chicken is the one meat that needs to be well done.

Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:12 am

No just because the cooked chicken tastes like plastic and very hard to swallow. I just tend to chew and chew and chew and just refuse to swallow it, and it gets more horrible the more I chew it.
But raw chicken tastes good and I can eat as much as I like.

The same is true for eggs for me. I have a hard time eating boiled or fried eggs, I prefer to drink eggs better.
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:17 am

When you say raw, I assume you mean cooked rare? Not cooked at all... you must have a cast iron stomache!
Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:23 am

I ate raw meat (red and white, but no fish), and also raw organ meat; often, when I was a kid, but that was from local farm animals back in the old country.
Got no parasites at all, and by raw I mean completely raw meat, virgin to fire or heat.
But haven't ate any raw stuff since then, and also the meat I get here is industrial bred poultry, living on a pile of sh!t. don't know if it's safe to eat raw or not.
I won't touch any raw industrial red meat though, that sounds even worser than industrial chicken.
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:37 am

If the chicken is too chewy and dry to eat, the problem is more with your cooking technique than the chicken. How are you cooking the bird?
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:55 am

Exactly. Let it cook in its own juices. Roast it man, roast it.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:55 am

White meat (chicken breasts) is notoriously tasteless and dry. That's why people invented sauces. I would recommend stewing the meat in broth with vegetables. I would not recommend eating it raw.
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:57 am

squatty wrote:the meat I get here is industrial bred poultry, living on a pile of sh!t. don't know if it's safe to eat raw or not.

Okay, um.... let's break this down:

don't know if it's safe to eat raw or not.

living on a pile of sh!t.

I'd say that answer is.... :grrr!: :idea:
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:58 am

itlives wrote:Are they outlawing fire over there, too? :eyebrows:

:lol!: :laugh2: :laugh1: XD
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:49 pm

The secret to moist and delicious chicken is in the marinade. If I'm cooking breast, I'm going to pound them down to an even thickness and soak them overnight in milk or yogurt. The lactic acid breaks down the muscle fibers and they'll plump up with moisture. Throw whatever spices you like in there and lemon or oranges slices if you've got them. The next secret is high heat. I let the olive oil come up to smoke point and then slap them in the pan. The sear keeps the juice in the meat. Check your watch, 2-3 minutes a side then pull them out and let them rest a couple of minutes. They should be the moistest, juiciest breast you ever ate. A lot of this depends on your pans, stove etc. Cooking is just like learning the lifts, a little practice and working with the techniques and you can make just about anything.

For a roasted chicken, after washing the yardbird I rub the entire cavity with salt and stuff in lemon, onion and whatever herbs are currently growing in the garden. then tuck the wings behind the neck and tie the legs together. Rub vegetable oil over the outside like your giving your girlfriend a massage. Again high heat. I do the first 15 minutes at 450 and then crank it back down to 350 for the remainder. time varies based on the size of the bird. Make this once and you'll be doing all the cooking.

Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:34 pm

The way I do it is pretty simple : I cut the chicken breast into small pieces ( ~4-5cm*3-4cm...you get the idea) and the just throw them in the frying pan ( where some hot olive oil is waiting for them). Since they're small pieces it takes no time till they're done and they're NEVER chewy...you just have to try a little how much time it takes, but once you got the feel for it it's easy. Most times I throw some cut Bell Pepper or any other vegetable to the mix...easy meal, takes maximum 10 minutes. Add some Pili - Pili or any other spices and it's done.
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:46 pm

The problem is I'm tight on time, and since my mother has become cancerous and had a surgery, she cannot cook for us any longer.
Since then we eat simply boiled potatoes, eggs, and chicken.
I guess the best way is to ask the family to give me eggs instead of chicken, and I will drink the eggs.
I drank 10 whole raw eggs today, went down like a piece of cake. then ate a pot full of boiled potatoes and downed that with a glass of water, that went down easy as well.
That was my dinner, fortunately I can still eat something more deserved to be called "food" for lunch at school.

Anyway, problem solved, but it's still sad that we have to cook meat due to safety. I prefer the taste of raw meat much better. the better taste is not so significant for red meat, but the difference between the taste of raw chicken compared to cooked chicken is huge!
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:28 pm

You definitely come from a different society. I guess we know who will still be around after the zombie apocalypse (sorry. I went there! :toothy: )
Your new moniker "Raw meat, breakfast of champions"
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:08 pm

Yum... :shocked:
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Just Move on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:11 pm

Its a long story, it depends on a lot of factors. The reason there are such strict standards for cooking meat in the first place is because there was a time where your food source could easily get contaminated, food handling has improved greatly since then. However you still need to be careful where you get your meat.
The main thing you need to look at is the source. If you are raising and slaughtering chickens is a clean matter then I would totally say go for it. But for most people that is probably not the case. If you are getting store packaged meat then I would be weary. There are many processes that meat must go through which means there are many ways that the meat can get contaminated. Also you want to make sure its fresh, definitely dont buy those"manager specials" or "last chance sales" if you plan to eat it raw. If you are getting it directly from a farm that is probably a good bet, if your not. Also going to a local butcher could be a good idea, just make sure to communicate well that you want fresh, clean meat. you could ask them things like where does the meat come from do they cut it in house, also it might not hurt to tell them you plan to eat it raw. This is just part of it, if you have any questions I will try to answer them but I am by no means an expert on the subject.

This pretty much applies to all meats. I know that you can buy pasteurized whole eggs which are completely safe to eat 'raw'. Also if you buy any sushi grade seafood, they freeze it to an extremely low temperature to kill any parasites, so that is safe to eat 'raw' as well. I say 'raw' because it probably isnt raw to your standard, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by Just Move on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Just Move
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:11 am

Raw chicken is a great way to get salmonella. Unless it's a bird I raised myself I wouldn't consider eating it raw.
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Bissen on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:14 am

Whole chicken in the oven. It's friggin magic!

If you get pumped (I don't know what you call it in English) i.e. salt water is injected into the fillets, DO NOT eat it raw. There's a pretty high risk of salmonella.

Raw chicken doesn't really appeal to me at all, though...
Bissen
Masterful
Masterful

http://www.moarninjaplz.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:37 pm

I've never tasted raw chicken... and I hope I never do! :face: :chef:
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominator350 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:20 pm

What about raw beef? I've been mowing raw steaks lately cause they taste so fresh, can't even cook one in the pan without taking a chomp out of it first. But now I hear about this business of worms. What does it mean? I don't know.

The steak I buy comes from some organic beef farm, in northern Ontario, and these steaks do indeed look healthier than anything you buy at the grocery store.

Dominator350
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:26 pm

I'd eat it as steak tartare, meaning (if I recall correctly) that it marinates in acid first, like lemon juice or something, to kill off any potentially harmful bacteria, but it's otherwise raw.

Eating papaya seeds is a great way to eliminate parasites from your body (or prevent them from taking up residence).
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:03 pm

I wanna drink raw quail eggs.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Bissen on Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:16 am

Raw horse and beef seems fine. The Japanese do it all the time.

I can talk to my dad (food safety inspector; I always forget what his title is in English). He knows everything about that stuff.
Bissen
Masterful
Masterful

http://www.moarninjaplz.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top