PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Strive, struggle. Succeed!

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Strive, struggle. Succeed!

Post by Journeyman on Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:40 pm

T-M-D wrote:If I don't put it down, I don't do it. I am fairly relaxed about warming up to be honest, I spent years as a tree surgeon and you don't really get a chance to warm up. Besides millions of years of evolution... We never warmed up to run away from predators etc. We just saw and ran.

Just saw this. Running is a bit different from heavy lifting, of course. You're more likely to tear a hamstring deadlifting than starting an all-out sprint if you do both completely 'cold'.

That said, building a base of true 'anytime strength' i.e. increasing the amount of weight you can comfortably move without any warmup, is a great way to increase strength potential. Plus, it's cool knowing you can put up 90% of your absolute max (or whatever) without any prep.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by T-M-D on Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:33 am

You are right, running is different, but I never really do anything completely cold. I move around far too much to ever be cold (unless I woke up and got out of bed and just tried to pull straight off the bat, but then I think I'd just fall over before I got it off the ground anyway). And even then I don't go straight from 0 to max, there's usually a few steps in there. I used to warm up to deadlifts with 60kg then 100kg, it's all percentage of max at the end of the day.

T-M-D
Accomplished
Accomplished

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:09 pm

I think anytime strength is a skill just like strength. Part mental, part physical, i.e. kinesthetic awareness. So I believe that just by paying very careful attention to your alignment you can safely hoist a big weight without a warmup.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by T-M-D on Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:27 pm

Okay, so yesterday didn't exactly go to plan, went to the park with the idea of running a few laps before doing some stuff at the play park (still no pull up bar at home), except there was a big organised run on so I had to leave the run.

-Joint circles, 30 PU's, 30 squats, stretching, shoulder circuits with 6kg (dropped the weight down with these again because my shoulder seems to be suffering again).

Run to the park.

Pull ups/Elevated diamond PU's
10/20
6/20
6 L sit/20
6 L sit/20

Hanging leg raises/Pull ups
3x6/6

Run home.

I felt super drained after that, I know I am working far too hard at the moment, even with plenty of sleep I feel shattered all the time.

Today, I weighed myself for the first time in a few weeks. 76.9kg.. I haven't weighed that little for years! This needs to change.

This evening.

-Joint circles, 30 PU's, 30 squats, stretching, shoulder circuits w/ 6kg

-10x100kg deadlift

4 rounds
-8 HeSPU's
5x30kg deadlift

3 rounds
-10x120kg shrugs
-12 PU's 15k plate between shoulder blades

3 rounds
-5x60kg one handed deadlift (5R+5L)

Managed to let the bar unbalance and even with the collars the plate came off the other end, so the other plate went through the mat, through the carpet and has put a nice dent in the concrete floor, yo can't see it unless you look for it though (thankfully!).

I need to be more disciplined, 1 set is better than none. However tired I am I need to be getting at least 4 training sessions in a week. EVERY WEEK. I may start taking running stuff to work and running home so I save some time and then I've already started so I have even less of an excuse.

T-M-D
Accomplished
Accomplished

Back to top Go down

Post by GreekPT on Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:31 pm

Skin and freakin bone. The whole world drops lbs like there's no tomorrow - cept me.

GreekPT
Wanted for Chococide
Wanted for Chococide

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:33 pm

How on earth you do it we still don't know.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:04 pm

You got that right!
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMasterKey on Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:56 pm

T-M-D wrote:I felt super drained after that, I know I am working far too hard at the moment, even with plenty of sleep I feel shattered all the time.

Today, I weighed myself for the first time in a few weeks. 76.9kg.. I haven't weighed that little for years! This needs to change.

Maybe you're not eating enough?
TheMasterKey
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by T-M-D on Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:47 am

Well I can't be eating enough, but you haven't seen how much I eat. Without really counting too much my daily calorie intake is between 3-4000. I cannot eat any more than that without training properly because I'm simply not hungry enough. So I must train more.

T-M-D
Accomplished
Accomplished

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:14 am

I know this is probably dumb, but I think it's a real problem in most of the world.
If you're eating that many calories everyday, you need to start looking into the difference between calorie dense and nutrient dense foods.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:07 am

itlives wrote:I know this is probably dumb, but I think it's a real problem in most of the world.
If you're eating that many calories everyday, you need to start looking into the difference between calorie dense and nutrient dense foods.
I eat 5000 calories a day and I'm still hungry all the time lol...

Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:45 pm

Iliander wrote:
itlives wrote:I know this is probably dumb, but I think it's a real problem in most of the world.
I eat 5000 calories a day and I'm still hungry all the time lol...

I underlined the pertinent parts. We can get a lot of calories but if the body can't use them, you're just treading water.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:07 pm

Hmmm... don't the bodybuilding guys say you can eat pretty much anything and grow? There are BBers who say they built their mass on pizza and beer...
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:10 pm

Yeah, I guess so. The article I was reading was on the poor and the overweight and why are so many poor people overweight. It turns out poor people make poor food choices.
The poor food choices were always nutrient deficient foods. (McDonalds or any fast food joint). A $1 hamburger made them feel a lot more satisfied than a $1 salad. Mainly because of the fat calories.
I guess most of us on this site are active enough that we burn off most of the bad. But when all is said and done, your body LIKES and USES live foods better than dead foods. You cannot process the processed foods like you process the live foods. In the long run you won't have a long run.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:05 am

Dave wrote:Hmmm... don't the bodybuilding guys say you can eat pretty much anything and grow?  There are BBers who say they built their mass on pizza and beer...

Thanks to the magic of vitamin S. Growth hormone, insulin, and IGF-1 helps lots too.
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by T-M-D on Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:44 am

I agree with you Mike, but considering that my diet consists of home made food (mostly) with plenty of vegetables and is generally pretty balanced (I don't really eat enough fruit if I am honest). And I haven't been to a McDonalds or similar fast food chain in over ten years I don't really think that's a problem. I think my problem really is just my metabolism, I've classified as borderline underweight for a lot of my life because I simply never put on any kind of mass. So I struggle to see any way to get more out of my diet without possibly using supplements which is not something I particularly want to do.

T-M-D
Accomplished
Accomplished

Back to top Go down

Post by T-M-D on Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:51 am

Yesterday.

Ran home from work... Far too fast was really gassing at the end of it. Need to work out exact distance and start timing it/pacing myself a bit better.

Quick run to the green grocers and back after I'd recovered a little.

-Joint circles, 30 PU's, 30 squats, stretching,shoulder circuits w/ 6kg.

3 rounds
-20 elevated diamond PU's
-8 pistols EL

2xwrist roller with 2,5kg (both ways so 4 total)

This is my start of doing something no matter what.

T-M-D
Accomplished
Accomplished

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:36 am

T-M-D wrote:I think my problem really is just my metabolism, I've classified as borderline underweight for a lot of my life because I simply never put on any kind of mass.

Welcome to the club.
Something is always better than nothing!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:05 pm

I like Oly lifting because you don't need to force feed yourself to keep making gains.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:59 pm

T-M-D wrote:

This is my start of doing something no matter what.

I like this. Keep after it!
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by T-M-D on Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:26 am

Thursday, ran to meet a friend after work at a park that was rumoured to have a load of gym equipment installed in it. There was a few things, all of which are machine bodyweight type things that have such advantagous leverages that it's not worth doing.

Did a couple of sets of pull ups/HeSPU's in the play park as it was empty and then went home.

Ran home from work yesterday (it's only about a 1.5-2 miles but there is a hellish hill right at the end), girlfriend had a 4am shift today, so she was up at 2:30 this morning. I set my alarm for five so I could get a good morning session in... That went very well, I woke up at 7:50. I need to be somewhere by nine. It looks like I'll be training later if I can fit it in. I think this is what happens when I work 50+ hour weeks.

T-M-D
Accomplished
Accomplished

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:58 am

Just do what you can, man. Like you said, do something no matter what.

I'd personally advise you to cut down on overall volume a bit, it'll be easier to recover with everything else going on. Plus, you might even gain some weight, who knows!?
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by T-M-D on Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:33 am

What you're saying makes sense, other than the fact my overall volume is barely anything at the moment. I only started running home from work last week to try and give myself some momentum into training.

Yesterday:

-10x100kg deadlift

10 rounds
-5 HeSPU's
-3x130kg deadlift

I think I'm just going to get myself a doorframe pull up bar and exclusively work L-sit pull ups for the next year because that's the only way I'm going to get any pulling volume in and atleast that way I should have some pretty decent core strength too!

T-M-D
Accomplished
Accomplished

Back to top Go down

Post by T-M-D on Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:25 am

Yesterday evening.

Ran home from work.

-Joint circles, 30 PU's, 30 squats, shoulder circuits w/6 kg, stretching.

5 rounds
-10x120kg shrugs
-20 elevated diamond PU's.

I really need that pull up bar...

T-M-D
Accomplished
Accomplished

Back to top Go down

Post by T-M-D on Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:30 am

Run home on Thursday but didn't really feel like doing anything afterwards.

Yesterday.

-Joint circles, 30 PU's, 30 squats, stretching, shoulder circuits
-Run around half a mile to the park

Pull ups/HeSPU's
10/8
10/7
10/6
8/5
8/4
8/4

3 rounds
-Hanging leg raises (feet to bar) (10,10,7)
-20 dips

Run home.

I am feeling that this morning!

T-M-D
Accomplished
Accomplished

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:32 am

Great workouts man. Really sticking to the fundamental exercises.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by T-M-D on Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:23 am

I don't have the time to do anything that's not a 'big movement' so I've got to make every exercise count. I'm not sure about zercher squats vs pistols/weighted pistols at the moment because as good as zerchers are even wrapping a towel round the bar they start to hurt my elbows after 5 sets with 80kg.

T-M-D
Accomplished
Accomplished

Back to top Go down

Post by T-M-D on Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:41 am

Still had DOMs yesterday from Saturday... I am sure something is wrong with that. Anyway, I got home from work and I now have a pull up bar I thought I'd get the blood flowing.

-Joint circles, 30 PU's, 30 squats, stretching, shoulder circuits.

5 rounds
-8 L sit pull ups
-20 elevated diamond PU's.

I'm not sure on the pull up bar through I think I need to find space for the brackets (it's a door bar) because it moves a bit unless I really tighten it and then it started twisting separately rather than undoing when I came to take it down.

T-M-D
Accomplished
Accomplished

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:35 pm

Still had DOMs yesterday from Saturday
Which part of the equation is not balanced? Sleep? Nutrition? Stretching? Overtrained?

Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:03 pm

T-M-D wrote:I don't have the time to do anything that's not a 'big movement' so I've got to make every exercise count. I'm not sure about zercher squats vs pistols/weighted pistols at the moment because as good as zerchers are even wrapping a towel round the bar they start to hurt my elbows after 5 sets with 80kg.
Get a pool noodle for like $1.50 (or whatever), cut it in half. Discard one part and cut a slit in the other--and you've got perfect elbow padding for a zercher squat. Cut it short enough and you can sumo DL the bar to your thighs without having to hold the foam part. Just make sure the noodle doesn't rotate when you're zerchering the bar. Masking tape over the middle of the bar itself might help.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by T-M-D on Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:54 pm

Dave wrote:
Still had DOMs yesterday from Saturday
Which part of the equation is not balanced?  Sleep?  Nutrition?  Stretching?  Overtrained?

Plenty of sleep, but seemingly not enough because I still feel tired all the time.

Good food, but probably not enough because my weight is still low.

Stretching is fine... Missing massages though.

Undertraining if anything.

Yesterday sorted all my DOMs though, I just needed to push through.

T-M-D
Accomplished
Accomplished

Back to top Go down

Post by T-M-D on Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:55 pm

Journeyman wrote:
T-M-D wrote:I don't have the time to do anything that's not a 'big movement' so I've got to make every exercise count. I'm not sure about zercher squats vs pistols/weighted pistols at the moment because as good as zerchers are even wrapping a towel round the bar they start to hurt my elbows after 5 sets with 80kg.
Get a pool noodle for like $1.50 (or whatever), cut it in half. Discard one part and cut a slit in the other--and you've got perfect elbow padding for a zercher squat. Cut it short enough and you can sumo DL the bar to your thighs without having to hold the foam part. Just make sure the noodle doesn't rotate when you're zerchering the bar. Masking tape over the middle of the bar itself might help.
Good plan, I may do that. As I do love Zercher squats minus the pain. (The bad pain, not the good pain)

T-M-D
Accomplished
Accomplished

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:19 pm

I think the pain will go away quickly if you work them regularly enough. I used to get pain from them too, but doing them even once every couple weeks seems to have allowed me to adapt just fine.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by T-M-D on Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:44 pm

I hope so.

11 hours at my desk yesterday after a poor night of sleep, still suffering for it today.

Excuses excuses.

-Joint circles, 30 PU's, 30 squats, stretching, shoulder circuits w/6 kg.

3 rounds
-10x70kg zercher squat
-HeSPU's (8,7,8 )

3 rounds
-8 L- sit pull ups
-20 elevated diamond PU's

110kg shrugs - 20,20,15

I am going to keep the zercher weight around 70kg for now until the inevitable getting used to it occurs! Pull up bar finally has a permanent home as well, so they can start featuring more.

T-M-D
Accomplished
Accomplished

Back to top Go down

Post by T-M-D on Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:04 am

Thursday.

Deadlift/HeSPU's/L sit pull ups:
10x100kg/10/10
8x120kg/8/8
6x130kg/6/6

Short on time in the week as ever. Hopefully this weekend I will be able to get 2 sessions in.

T-M-D
Accomplished
Accomplished

Back to top Go down

Post by T-M-D on Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:15 am

-Joint circles, 30 PU's, 30 squats, stretching, shoulder circuits w/ 6kg.

Zercher squat/HeSPU/L sit pull up
10x60kg/10/10
8x70kg/8/8
6x80kg/6/6
4x90kg/4/4
2x100kg/2 + 2" ROM/2

80kg is the most I've ever Zerchered before so this is a good starting point, I quite like this format actually. It also lets me do fairly quick sessions if I need to.

HeSPU's are feeling strong.

L sits need work, I've not done much pulling recently, but hopefuly they'll come back quickly.

T-M-D
Accomplished
Accomplished

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:11 pm

If you're going to attack those Zerchers, attack them with volume! I like it!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by T-M-D on Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:16 am

Most definitely feeling that volume today! I think I need to really get my zercher form down before I start going above 80kg though. I can feel it a lot more in my left leg than my right so I must be compensating for some form issues.

T-M-D
Accomplished
Accomplished

Back to top Go down

Post by T-M-D on Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:07 pm

Felt pretty fried this morning, ran some errands on the bike and felt a lot better so I figured I was ready for more... Possibly a mistake there.

Deadlift/HeSPU's/L sit chin ups
10x100kg/8/5
3x130kg/2+2"/5
1x150kg/2+2"/5 x 3

Everything felt harder than it should've done there. 150kg felt super heavy. Core was a lot more fried than I expected.

T-M-D
Accomplished
Accomplished

Back to top Go down

Post by T-M-D on Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:24 am

Awful day at work (but I am leaving in a couple of weeks now).

-Joint circles, 30 PU's, 30 squats, stretching, shoulder circuits w/ 6kg.

Deadlift/HeSPU/L-sit pull up
10x100kg/10/6
3x130kg/2+2"/6
1x150kg/2+2"/6 x 4

One of the sets of HeSPU's felt really strong so I went to three. But for now I'm just getting used to the ROM.

T-M-D
Accomplished
Accomplished

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top