PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Reverse Hindu Squats

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Reverse Hindu Squats

Post by Iliander on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:09 am

Squats where you balance on your heels in the bottom position, and put your toes back on the ground when coming up! I feel this activates my hamstrings more. It might be useful to balance the ankle joints from hindu squats.

What are your thoughts on this? :pbjt:
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Re: Reverse Hindu Squats

Post by Dave on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:23 pm

Try it and report back to us. ;)
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:41 am

It's hard to balance them... :toothy:
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Garythenuke on Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:46 pm

That's how I do all my body squats. I get to the bottom on my heels, then push up through my heels. At the top I'll extend up onto my toes as high as I can get. These pretty much work everything.

If you are trying to activate you outer butt and hips by pushing out with your heels during the squat, it takes a bit to figure out how to deal with those forces when you are up on the toes. But it is doable.

Finally had extra weight to my body squats yesterday. Only a #35 kb, but it got my reps down to 20 from 25. High reps take so danged long to do.....

Garythenuke
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:10 pm

Gary, he is taking his toes off the ground at the bottom, whereas you are keeping you whole foot planted at the bottom. His variation is much harder on balance.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Garythenuke on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:53 pm

Perhaps we should post videos....

I bring my toes off the ground when I am decending and again on the push up. I curl my toes up to the best of my ability and keep the weight off the balls of my feet. I do not have the balls of my feet off the ground, just unweighted. If the goal of this is to bring the balls of the feet off the ground during the squat I would have a hard time seeing any possible benefit.

Garythenuke
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:06 pm

I agree 100% with you. I felt that way in the first place, but I haven't really done them like that, so I didn't want to discourage his creativity. :) After all, Iliander is the kind of person who can take the improbable and make it work, imo.

As for unweighting the forefoot at the bottom and driving into the ground with the heel, yeah, that's pretty much your standard squat isn't it. It's the natural and most efficient way to squat with the whole foot contacting the ground, though, so once that is established, why change it (with the exception of hindu squats)? After all, we don't walk, run, jump, etc., using only our heels...
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Garythenuke on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:27 pm

Wow... Well, if Iliander is really going fully up on his heels, with the rest of his feet off the ground, I have two things to say.
1) Good for you. There is no way I'd be able to keep balance.
2) Post a video when you get them dialed in. I love Cirque du Soleil, and these squats sound like something from their center ring...

Garythenuke
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:36 pm

:lol: They sure do! I've tried them and simply can't balance them.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:40 pm

Well I'm not sure what's the benefit of them. It's probably a futile exercise, since the additional hamstring recruitment from the balancing is too minor.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:44 pm

I also didn't like the idea of all that dorsiflexion. But maybe that's just because I never do it and so probably have weak dorsiflexors.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:45 pm

Actually, Iliander, if you want to do something to improve your balance, do weighted dorsiflexion I would think. Strong dorsiflexors help with balance recovery.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:49 pm

Now that we are talking about leg exercises, I've had an idea for an excellent hamstring exercise. Attach your feet to a couple of ropes which you attach to a pull-up bar, and pull-up with your legs. Is this an existing exercise?
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Garythenuke on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:57 pm

For hamstrings you can get by much easier. Do anchored hamstring curls (glute ham raises). You've probably seen videos, but if you haven't, they are pretty straight forward. Lie on your stomach on the ground. Anchor your heels under something that won't move. Wear knee pads or put something under your kneecaps if you are prone to any pain here at all. Then "all you have to do" is raise your body off the ground" using your hamstrings. I could never do them, and don't have the patience to learn. If you do, though, they are pretty awesome. Here's a video of partner assisted glue ham raises.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJC8IuwTDhQ

Garythenuke
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:03 pm

I've tried those before! A complete rep without push-up assistance is insanely difficult though. As soon as I go too far I get an enormous cramp through my hamstrings and really have to stop immediately.

I thought a hamstring pull-up would be quite awesome, and an excellent mass builder such as pull-ups are an excellent upper body mass builder. A muscle-up with your legs, wouldn't that be great! :D
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Garythenuke on Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:15 pm

Iliander wrote: A muscle-up with your legs, wouldn't that be great! :D

See, my mind doesn't even think that way. You are one creative dude.
When you get that done, post a video. You'll be quickly famous.

Garythenuke
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:22 pm

Garythenuke wrote:
Iliander wrote: A muscle-up with your legs, wouldn't that be great! :D

See, my mind doesn't even think that way. You are one creative dude.
When you get that done, post a video. You'll be quickly famous.
Thanks. And I'll have HUGE calves. ;)
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Inverse Squats on the Inversion Table

Post by 98poundweakling on Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:02 pm

Iliander wrote:Now that we are talking about leg exercises, I've had an idea for an excellent hamstring exercise. Attach your feet to a couple of ropes which you attach to a pull-up bar, and pull-up with your legs. Is this an existing exercise?
Hey, Ilander! I do that all the time on the inversion table here. While my ankles are strapped in, instead of just hanging, I do inverse squats. The only thing I don't like about it is that the ankles get tired of being strapped in with all my body weight hanging from them.
98poundweakling
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:26 pm

That sounds pretty hardcore 98!

Are the straps adjustable? Perhaps you could put some kind of padding around your ankles before strapping in?
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:47 am

That's awesome, 98!

Did it give you a lot of hamstring mass? :)
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

String this ham along...

Post by 98poundweakling on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:43 pm

Hi, Mike and Iliander!
I think I felt the inverse squats (upside-down leg pullups) mostly in my quads and glutes. I don't seem to be able to add much mass on the legs; maybe that's just my body type, kinda lanky. For legs I benefit the most from one-legged squats - I won't say pistols yet until I've got it down solid. I'm only going down to thigh=horizontal right now.

The inversion table is like a teeter-totter, with adjustable bar and ankle braces at the bottom for securing the ankles. The brace-bar locks into place with a peg and is not flexible, but the ankle grippers are padded. I think the whole Gerät is rather overrated. One could hurt himself by decompressing the spine too much, so just hanging there for too long is not advised. Handstands are IMHO a better and a more human way of being upside down. Pulling up into squats is a fun distraction, but that is about all I do with the thing.

So, hamstring mass gain - no, but I do feel like a slab of ham hanging there. :eyebrows:
98poundweakling
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:56 am

Actually this exercise should not train your glutes, since the 2 motions are hamstring curl and leg raise. Working the hamstrings, hip flexors and abs. :razz:
Working towards a one legged version of this exercise would be quite awesome though, methinks.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

One-legged inverse curls

Post by 98poundweakling on Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:00 pm

Iliander wrote:Actually this exercise should not train your glutes, since the 2 motions are hamstring curl and leg raise. Working the hamstrings, hip flexors and abs. :razz:
Working towards a one legged version of this exercise would be quite awesome though, methinks.
Hey, mate!
I'll accept that. Glutes must be hurtin' from something else! The core is definitely involved.
Now when do we get to see your video of you doing the one-legged version? :eyebrows:
98poundweakling
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:05 pm

98poundweakling wrote:Hey, mate!
I'll accept that. Glutes must be hurtin' from something else! The core is definitely involved.
Now when do we get to see your video of you doing the one-legged version? :eyebrows:
Not anytime soon. LOL. :pbjt:
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top