PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Bouncing Around... Hopefully I'll Manage to Stay Here!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bouncing Around... Hopefully I'll Manage to Stay Here!

Post by Skymaster on Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:28 pm

So, I joined up on BWC late last year, and not long after I really got into the forums, they crashed, or died, or went kablooie, or something. So, I came here, and I _thought_ this place did the same thing. I managed to make one post, and then this forum stopped loading. Guess it was my connection or something.

Anyway, earlier today I decided to check out and see if BWC was back up and going, and it was, at least technically. Seemed to mostly be overrun with spam bots, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway. So I made another post in the training log I had going there. Pretty quickly got a PM from Iliander directing me BACK to this forum, which I had thought was also dead. Turns out this one never died.

SO... hopefully I have found my "forever home" on the internet when it comes to getting in shape.

A brief bit of intro for those who never caught my other posts around the net... I'm 30 years old, IT Manager as a day job, spent the past decade sitting on my rump at work. When I turned 30, I decided to change things up, and I have been working out consistently (and I really do mean consistently) since the end of last August (or thereabout'ish). I've made massive gains in strength, focusing almost exclusively on calisthenics.

Starting Stats:

Max Pushups: 15
Max Pullups: 2.5

Current Stats:

Max Pushups: 45
Max Pullups: 10

My weight has hovered around the mid 140's the entire time.

So that is me in a very small nutshell! Looking forward to becoming an active part of the community. :cheers2:

Skymaster
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Re: Bouncing Around... Hopefully I'll Manage to Stay Here!

Post by Rix on Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:30 pm

Welcome Back mate! Looking forward to seeing you around the forum!
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:34 pm

Welcome back Skymaster
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:08 pm

Welcome man!
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Skymaster on Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:30 pm

Thanks everyone. Glad to be back!

Skymaster
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:12 pm

Cool! So what's your training look like now, and what are your goals?
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnyD on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:04 pm

Welcome, and good progress so far, keep it up !!
johnnyD
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:47 pm

Skymaster, welcome! :)
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:25 am

Welcome back Skymaster!
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by raver on Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:51 am

Hello and Welcome!

raver
Accomplished
Accomplished

Back to top Go down

Post by Skymaster on Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:51 am

Journeyman wrote:Cool! So what's your training look like now, and what are your goals?

Training right now looks like this:

Mon/Wed/Fri:

9am: .8 mile power walk, 4 sets of various pushups done while walking (15-20 pushups each set), 4 sets of pullups (usually 16 pullups total) done while walking.

Noon: Pullup sets: 3 wider, 3 wide, 3 regular, 3 close, 3 wide curl, 3 regular curl, 3 close curl, 3 neutral grip, 3 commando. Maybe some pushups thrown in there if I'm feeling froggy enough. :P

Evening @ Home: Usually duplicate above pullup set, with various pushups done throughout the evening.

Tues/Thur:

9am: .8 mile jog, followed by some leg work, body weight squats and lunges usually.

Noon: Another .8 mile jog.

Evening @ home: Rest.

Weekends: Varies greatly. Generally stay active with hiking, yard work, construction projects (just finished making a kick wheel for my wife to throw pottery on), but sometimes I go through some pull/push work or go for a jog or something.

So that's pretty much where I'm at right now. Every so often I do a "max out" set, more for the fun of it than anything else, and as I said in the above post, my current pushup max is 45 (strict and pretty slow) and my current pullup max is 10 (also strict and pretty slow). I'm a huge stickler for form!

Goals: My absolute "main" goal is to just increase my health and overall fitness so as to live a nice, long, healthy life so I can stay around for my wife and children. (Two sons, ages 8 and 5.) Getting more specific however, I really want to increase my functional strength and be able to do some of the ultra strenuous calisthenics stuff. I would like to build up my muscular endurance as well. To get very, very specific, I want to be able to do a true form muscle up by the end of the year, and I want to be able to compete in a Spartan Sprint (5k obstacle race) without having to slow to a walking pace.

Many thanks to everyone for the warm (re)welcome!

Skymaster
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:29 am

That's a pretty awesome routine man. I like the variety in your pull-ups.

If you want to be able to do a true form muscle-up, feel free to ask any advice. Once you get to around 20 pull-ups (don't get too obsessed with doing them slowly when testing a PR, as long as the actual movement is clean there is no limit on how fast you may do them), start working on false grip pull-ups, aiming to get as high as possible. Eventually you'll be able to press through the transition and complete your muscle-up. Working single bar dips is also advised.

A strict muscle-up WITHOUT false grip is a lot harder than one with false grip. That's why I recommend people to master the false grip muscle-up first.

Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:02 pm

Welcome back Skymaster!
Unless you're skipping rope or doing burpees, that's enough bouncing around!
Start a workout log already!
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Skymaster on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:11 pm

itlives wrote:Welcome back Skymaster!
Unless you're skipping rope or doing burpees, that's enough bouncing around!
Start a workout log already!

Thanks! I'm planning on it. Gonna fire it up Monday. Likely gonna mostly focus on R&R (rest and recovery) this weekend, so there won't really be anything to log before Monday. I am also making some big shifts in how I eat starting Monday. I've always been a pretty big believer in the concept of taking things one baby step at a time. I slowly worked myself into working out, and now I am to the point to where I feel I can say it is just part of my lifestyle. Now it is time to keep that up while working on my diet. I'm contemplating starting a food log as well. Not necessarily on here, but maybe in a notebook or something, just so I can keep track of what I'm taking in.

I'm still rocking a bit of a pot belly from my years of desk work, and I've got my first beach trip in YEARS coming up this August, so I'd really like to have that pot belly GONE by then!

Skymaster
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:19 pm

A little belated welcome.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top