PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

BW exercise that mimic the Deadlift

View previous topic View next topic Go down

BW exercise that mimic the Deadlift

Post by David3060 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:12 pm

I'm training in my room and I got a small one.
I only have 33KG plates, but my main problem is that it takes me a lot of time (like 20 minutes) to arrange the weight for the lift. it really doubles my workout time + makes me hate to do it.
As for now I train only BW except for the deadlift, because I did not find yet a BW replacement for it.
I know that there might be none, my main concern is that my core will loose strength and I got a mild Anterior pelvic tilt that I'm working on to make it go away.

Any Suggestions?

David3060
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Re: BW exercise that mimic the Deadlift

Post by Iliander on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:24 pm

Well... obviously you'll have to deadlift to get the full benefits of deadlifting.

But you could work on these: russian leg curl, gymnastics bridge, back lever, front lever, any type of squat, etc. to strengthen all the muscles used in the deadlift.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:59 pm

what about the glute ham raise?

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:18 pm

Playa wrote:what about the glute ham raise?
You need special equipment for that.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by David3060 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:00 pm

seems that doing all these will take me longer than deadlifting man.

BTW, Is there a difference between DB deadlift and BB deadlift? I'm thinking to give it a try, Db will save me a good amount of time.

and another question, Does planche work the entire core?

David3060
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnyD on Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:29 pm

There are possibilities such as the romanian single leg dead lift whilst holding the plate if possible. Also bridges.
johnnyD
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:33 pm

Planche does 'work' the entire core but it's really an exercise focusing on front delt and straight-arm pressing/holding strength. No point doing it as a core exercise imo.
Bridging, hyperextensions, pullups, and horizontal rows will work some of the same muscles but they will not give you the benefits of deadlifting nor will they help you nearly as much as deadlifting when it comes to maximal back strength, or picking random objects off the floor.
The dumbbell deadlift generally imposes much greater demands on the upper back than the barbell deadlift with an equivalent weight, because your arms/upper back need to maintain a degree of unilateral tension to hold the dumbbells. Also, most dumbbells have much smaller plates than a barbell so the range of motion is greater. The dumbbell deadlift, much like the hack lift or a hex/trap bar deadlift, can serve as a replacement for both heavy deadlifts and heavy squats.

I would say that if it saves time, definitely go with dumbbell deadlifts for the time being. You can do one-legged deadlifts with a dumbbell in each hand for 3-5 sets of low (1-5) reps each leg and unilaterally strengthen your hams, and to some degree your glutes and low back. It's possible to load up with well over half your barbell deadlift max on one leg if you train the one-leg deadlift enough.
High rep dumbell deadlifts are great for size gain, and strength and endurance throughout your back. Doing a set of 20-50 and slowly adding reps or weight over time could make you quite formidable, a pair of 50lb dumbbells for 50 reps is a good goal.

If you want a high resistance lower body workout and you do have dumbbells, I'd suggest something like this:

-Pistols or shrimp squats, progressions or with weight 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps as heavy as possible, try to add weight over time.

-One leg deadlifts or glute ham raise progressions, same as above (low reps, try to progress by adding resistance or decreasing assistance on the GHR).

-dumbbell deadlifts, done with low hips and a squat stance, one set of 20-50 or more.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:36 pm

Here's max shank doing very heavy one leg deadlift variants, as I said, much higher than half his barbell deadlift.

As you can see when you have to load up so much weight on dumbbells or kettlebells it probably just isn't work the trouble, but you can definitely become pretty strong with light weights if you go one leg at a time, and get good strength/endurance benefits and a bit more upperback and leg size with high reps on dumbbell deadlifts.

Mike bruce here is treating the dumbbell deadlift more like a deadlift than a squat, so it is more back focused, but if you keep your back flat and really tuck your hips down to get a greater range of motion (more like a squat) you can focus more on your legs too.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by David3060 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Thanks a lot, Jman.

David3060
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down