PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Dospooks' new training log

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Dospooks' new training log

Post by dospooks on Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:17 am

Run home today 5 mi at 8'45''/mi  In fall and winter at this pace HR wouldn't be over 120 at the end, but today first humid run of the season for me, HR 140 at the end.

Pistols and OACU planned for tomorrow.
dospooks
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by dospooks on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:45 am

pistol ladder yesterday as planned
later, OACU work too, four reps each arm (alternating with rest of course)
it was odd, this time I failed initially on my right arm, but was able to to the first rep no assist on my Left side, very weird.  Oh well, I guess this is sort of my current plateau with OACU work.  The next steps for me are to keep getting closer to starting from  dead hang, and to be able to do the first couple of reps with no assist. Eventually maybe two CONSECUTIVE reps, but that's gonna be farther down the line.
dospooks
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by alexander_a on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:23 am

Are you using a pulley assistance?  in that case, just work the dead hang ones and lower assistance progressively and a few "almost at the bottom" static holds. Works well for me! Also the pulley assist makes training for reps easy since I can see just how much stronger i need be to get two reps (or MORE!)

Good work mate!

alexander_a
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by dospooks on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:30 pm

alexander_a wrote:Are you using a pulley assistance?  in that case, just work the dead hang ones and lower assistance progressively and a few "almost at the bottom" static holds. Works well for me! Also the pulley assist makes training for reps easy since I can see just how much stronger i need be to get two reps (or MORE!)

Good work mate!
I think I'm gonna try that next session (tomorrow). Last session (two days ago) I did one unassisted per side, like usual now, and then three with assistance. But you're right, if I'm using the pulley anyway on the assisted reps, I might as well do it from dead hang. I have been trying to hold the descent for a few seconds at the top, middle, and almost extension (like doing "Frenchies").

Did some Tae Kwon Do over the weekend at my reunion, was fun.  Running today home from work was brutal, 90F and humid, but at least some breeze along the riverside. 5 miles at 9'08''/mi
dospooks
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:48 pm

Your strength is really getting up there.  And on a side note, I'd really love to see your spinning hook kick some day!  I'll show you mine if you show me yours...
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dospooks on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:44 am

OK, I need to scrape off the rust a little more, but I'll try to post a spinning hook kick video some time in the near future.
dospooks
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:52 pm

A funny thread would be "Let's see your spinning hook kick" Some funny stuff is already in my head!
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by dospooks on Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:01 pm

pistol ladder today
then OACU's later, first rep unassisted each side, then 3 assists from dead hang each side

Having some soreness in lower back which I think is from the spinning hook kicks, hadn't really worked on them in years.
dospooks
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:12 pm

dospooks wrote:

Having some soreness in lower back which I think is from the spinning hook kicks, hadn't really worked on them in years.

That'll do it alright!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by dospooks on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:21 am

instead of running yesterday took the kids rock climbing (indoors), great fun. Was leery of doing OACU work today because of tough upper body workout rock climbing yesterday, but was OK. Same as past few sessions, one unassisted rep per side, then 2 assists per side trying to start more dead hang. Also did pistols today
dospooks
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:21 pm

Daniel, I put up a video of my spinning hook kick (no scraping off of the dust- LOL) in member videos.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by dospooks on Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:14 pm

run from work to pick up my son at his day camp, planned perfectly. 6.2 mi (10K) finished at the exact spot at the exact time. Pace was 8'18''/mi, maybe a PR for me for 10K, don't remember.
dospooks
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by dospooks on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:04 pm

OACU work today. Previously I had been standing on my kid's bathroom stool (the one they used to need to wash up at the sink, about 8 inches high) so I could start the first rep with a little bend in my arm.

Today I stood on a thick book, so I just had the slightest bend still, almost straight. Got the first rep on right arm, stalled at 90 degrees on the left. Second rep stalled both sides at 90. Then two assisted reps each side to finish.

Did pistols earlier, 9'40'' first time in under 10 min for a while
dospooks
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by dospooks on Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:54 am

OACU work on 2 days rest, so just worked the bottom of the movement a little. Left arm much weaker than right in this part of the range, needs a lot of work.

Pistols nice and slow 14:32. No running today, too darn hot
dospooks
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by dospooks on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:31 pm

Running today about 84F and very humid, had to go slower than usual, 8 miles at 9'59''/mi.
On my way back along the Brooklyn Naval Yards, I passed this discarded mattress on the sidewalk, on which someone had written:

"My name is Ozymandius, king of kings. Look upon my works ye mighty, and despair!"

I can't figure out how to upload the photo here, but kudos to anyone who can name the poet who penned those lines.

OACU work: still seem to have temporarily "lost" the unassisted reps, but I'll get them back. Maybe low energy since I did them shortly after my run
dospooks
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:44 am

Shelley. I remember reading that in high school lit class. Good poem!
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by dospooks on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:05 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
dospooks
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by dospooks on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:19 pm

anyway, today's exercise was indoor rock climbing, since I had the day off, at Brooklyn Boulders. Awesome fun. Alternated between climbing and slackline for about 2 hours. Arms and hands are completely fried. Making progress, got about 10 steps down the slackline at my best, and climbed some stuff I hadn't been able to do previously.
dospooks
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by alexander_a on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:51 pm

Nice that you enjoy bouldering, I do to!
I find it great to be able to use skills such as pullup strength, front lever training and finger power in some fun ways!

Been at it long?

alexander_a
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by dospooks on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:13 pm

alexander_a wrote:Nice that you enjoy bouldering, I do to!
I find it great to be able to use skills such as pullup strength, front lever training and finger power in some fun ways!

Been at it long?

Not long, I went indoor rock climbing once or twice like 20 years ago. But lately I've gone about 4 times this year, and I'm starting to really enjoy it. I love the bouldering, because its been just me and my kids, or I'm by myself, so I don't have a partner to belay me. There are a few auto-belay devices that are fun, but once the place gets crowded its hard to get to them. Today I got there at 9:30am and had the run of the place, it was great.
dospooks
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by dospooks on Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:01 pm

I think my upper body is still a bit wrecked from rock climbing 2 days ago. Yesterday in yoga I could not do any V-sit to handstand transitions, and this morning I did OACU work, and was still not feeling 100%. Plus I strained my left scapular area again. I think maybe its not good to do intense strength moves after deep stretches (I had just finished my tic tocs).

Running afterwards: 5 miles at 9'39''/mi
dospooks
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:20 pm

We're always learning our body - then, it changes :mrgreen: 
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by dospooks on Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:53 am

traveling, missed morning routine 2 days ago but did pistols. Good yoga workout yesterday but still couldnt get my v sit to handstand, upper body still recovering from rock climbing I guess? planning to run later, and maybe oacu work tomorrow if scapula is all better -- feels about 90% now
dospooks
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by alexander_a on Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:39 pm

rock climbing can take it's toll. I was bouldering yesterday and today as well, then went home to OAC train. Was weak sauce, bad move from me to rush it like that!

V to handstand sounds so awesome, I got nowhere near that flexibility!

alexander_a
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by dospooks on Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:19 pm

Well i bend my legs and cross them to swing back thru my arms, so its more of a strength and balance thing. I hope one day i can learn to do it straight legs
dospooks
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by dospooks on Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:19 am

Back from vacation. Kept up with running and yoga, but not much OACU work, so when I got home yesterday my OACU session was pretty pathetic (also because I gained a couple of kg!)

Gonna get back into regular shape again now

Funny, still having trouble with the navasana-handstand move, planning to do yoga today will see if I can get it back to some extent.
dospooks
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:13 am

How's your elbow feel after some time off?
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by dospooks on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:32 am

itlives wrote:How's your elbow feel after some time off?

It's not bothering me at all now, thanks for asking. The OACU work from last night didn't bother it either.

I'm more concerned with why I suddenly can't do my pressup into handstand from navasana anymore, its like I developed some kind of weakness in my pecs and delts when I try it. Gonna do yoga in a little while, will see if I can't get it back.
dospooks
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:37 am

I can't relate to your yoga -you are so far advanced it's like me trying to talk nuclear physics with a nuclear physicist.

Now, elbow pain, I can relate to 8) 

That said, I know you'll figure out the problem!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by dospooks on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:20 am

Well, i actually did a bit better with the handstand presses in yoga yesterday, so maybe I'm starting to get that back now. I wonder if it had to do with prolonged recovery from my last rock-climbing session, which was pretty intense. Only way to check is to go rock-climbing again!
dospooks
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:57 am

Well, we do know that we can't do all things good. ;) 
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by dospooks on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:16 am

2 days ago 5 mile run over Williamsburg bridge and back at 8'41''/mi good pace for me esp in summer (it was in the morning, still pretty cool)

Yesterday had very good OACU session. 1st rep: nose to bar, starting at 135 degrees. Then for ensuing reps, starting closer to deadhang, I used "climber's assists"--2nd rep was shoulder assist, and it felt easy. 3rd rep shoulder assist but stalled halfway so quick switch to bicep assist. 4th rep bicep assist.

Woke in middle of night with some anterior shoulder pain (left) reminded me of the bursitis I had a couple of years ago. I iced it, and its not so bad this morning, no pain during morning routine. Will watch it...
dospooks
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by dospooks on Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:12 am

2 days ago 10K run over Williamsburg bridge and back, then thru lower East side, at 8'54''/mi good pace for me considering how hot it was.

Yesterday another good OACU session. 1st rep 135 degree start nose to bar. 2nd and 3rd reps shoulder assist, 4th rep bicep assist. Starting to feel better control in the lower range of motion on the negative, slower descent from 135 to deadhang
dospooks
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by dospooks on Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:32 pm

pistols today

later, another good OACU session. 1st rep started slightly straighter than 135 degrees, hit left side nose to bar, failed byy few inches on the right. 2nd thru 4th reps shoulder assists, felts strong up and down
dospooks
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by dospooks on Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:25 am

yesterday: pistols and OACU work. Not as good OACU session as last two, at least on the left arm needed some bicep assist last 2 reps. Right arm feeling very strong

yoga later today
dospooks
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by dospooks on Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:24 pm

Amazing how my strength for going from navasana to handstand is just completely gone some yoga workouts, must be related to the OACU work the day before
dospooks
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:58 pm

Working together different routines can be tough!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by dospooks on Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:59 pm

OACU work felt really weak today, so I'm wondering if another 6 day break might be in order (usually I do them every third).

On the plus side, my kids have been joining me for pullups lately, and today my son (9) did two consecutive reps with no assist for the first time. He did a mini pyramid up to 3 reps, and I assisted his reps for the third set. My daugher (7) did two sets of 5 with assists (not that much assist though).
dospooks
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:14 pm

That's great! I hope they stay with it and get it in their bones!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by dospooks on Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:55 pm

bilateral anterior shoulder pain, probably bursitis again, much more on the left side than the right, declared itself after last OACU session so taking a week off from them. Will try again maybe this weekend.

Haven't been recording all my runs or pistols any more lately, but this morning it was unseasonably cool and I had a great 7.5 mi run (for me), 9'06''/mi
dospooks
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by dospooks on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:34 pm

I bought a mat to teach my kids some basic Hap Ki Do breakfalls, and also some tumbling for myself. It just arrived today...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
dospooks
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by dospooks on Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:03 pm

Haven't been logging so much lately, because its been pretty routine. I skipped a OACU session two days ago to get some extra rest in my upper body, which has been trashed by the OACU's to the point where I can't do HSPU's or press handstands at this time. Might try another session tomorrow and then switch to every 4 or 5 days for a while, I'll have to see...

Last Monday Aug 25 I ran 8 miles at exactly 9 min/mi, which is a PR for me I think. Today, much more humid, I ran 5.2 miles at the exact same pace.
dospooks
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by dospooks on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:49 pm

OACU work was pretty good two days ago, oddly I completed a rep on my left but needed assist on the first rep with my right. I really like the "climber's" shoulder assist for the ensuing reps. HSPU and presses to HS continue to suffer the aftermath of OACU work.

Yoga was great yesterday.

Today's run was awesome, 5.3 mi at 7'30/mi. I'm wondering if my GPS thing was off kilter... that's by far a PR for me, so I'm a bit suspicious.
dospooks
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by dospooks on Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:40 pm

Dave wrote:
Hey brother, just touching base. We're missing your presence at the forum lately. Hope all is well and it would be great to see you among us again. Come on back!

Dave

Hi Dave, sorry, nothing reflecting on any of you guys at the forum.
My BWE had gotten kind of frustrating in some ways.

You know that I've been trying to attain a OACU for about a year now, never do regular pullups anymore. I have been making slow progress, but I found that it was sapping my strength in other ways, like I suddenly couldn't press up into handstands from boat pose anymore, and my HSPUS really declined.

Anyway, I got tired of posting the same old thing all the time, so I just took a hiatus from posting. But over the past couple of months, I may have started to turn the corner. I can now do a OACU on my right arm from pretty decent starting extension, and it is almost as good on my left (still can't do pure deadhang yet). And my HSPU strength is starting to come back a bit.

So I was planning to wait a bit longer and then finally make a post with a vid when my left arm is a little better at OACU, to sort of have something good to show for all the past work over the last year.

I appreciate your contacting me, thank you very much.

I think I might post this as an entry in my dusty log, so people know I didn't just fall off the face of the earth.

Dan
dospooks
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:43 pm

Dan,
NIce going on the OACU. love to see the video.
Glad you are still around
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:23 pm

Good to see you're ok and still working out!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:26 pm

itlives wrote:Good to see you're ok and still TRAINING like a BAD A$$!

ok then fixed
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:12 pm

Haha, awesome work on the OACU!  Badass is right!

Anyway I sent the same message to a couple others we've been missing around here, and I'm glad you came back.  Still waiting on a few others.

By the way Dan, I know you had Bikilas last year, so I thought I'd try them myself, bought a pair each for myself and my girlfriend.  She likes them, but I decided to return mine for another pair of KSOs since the KSOs are a little more bendy and I am not using them primarily for running anyway.

You gonna be hitting the pavement again this year?  What will you be wearing on your feet (if anything[!])?
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:28 pm

Congratz on the OACU progress! That is awesome!!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:12 am

Nice to see you back!
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content