PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

T.E.N.S. / E.M.S. Unit

View previous topic View next topic Go down

T.E.N.S. / E.M.S. Unit

Post by itlives on Thu May 02, 2013 8:18 am

T.E.N.S. stands for Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation.
E.M.S. stands for Electrical Muscle Stimulation

I received my new one two days ago and it was right on time. I had the worst headache I've ever had in my life. I think it was a migraine brought on by tension in my neck. I used it on the muscle in the EMS mode until I couldn't stay awake (because of the pain, I had to sleep). I woke up with the headache COMPLETELY gone.
That was the first time I ever used one of these for a headache.
Mostly they are used for muscle stimulation to fatigue the muscle w/o actual work. Once the muscle is fatigued, it will relax.
The TENS mode is thought to stimulate the body to release endorphins. However it works, I know it works on my elbow pains and tense muscles.
I'm posting this because I think many of us in here could use one of these little gems. They cost anywhere from in the $30 range on up to where you can't afford it (professional grade). Mine was about $50 delivered. I think they are worth looking into . Here's the one I got (I got it for, 1) price and 2) 5 year warranty)
http://www.discountmedicalsupplies.com/store/rehab-products/electrotherapy/tens-units/combo-stim-tens-ems.html
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Re: T.E.N.S. / E.M.S. Unit

Post by Dave on Tue May 14, 2013 8:54 am

I always knew you would need the shock treatment eventually. :neener:

But in all seriousness Mike, I'd love to hear your results with this.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue May 14, 2013 12:30 pm

It works great. I've had it done at the Chiropractor's office and when I found out you can buy a personal one for cheap, I got one. My wife sold it. So I got this one -and it's better!
If you get one, make sure it has both modes - S.T.E.M.S and E.M.S.
you can read up on it or you toob it .
This one worked well on my elbow (which I haven't mentioned much) . It started hurting during the pull-up challenge.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Tue May 14, 2013 3:03 pm

Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue May 14, 2013 3:03 pm

Thanks Mike!

Rix, sometimes I wonder about you... ;)
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Tue May 14, 2013 3:07 pm

Dave.cyco wrote:Rix, sometimes I wonder about you... ;)

My Mum had a couple of whiskys when she was pregnant with me ;) (in Cyprus not knowing she was pregnant)
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue May 14, 2013 3:14 pm

Hence the: :loopy:

It all makes sense now. :)
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue May 14, 2013 6:54 pm

Been awhile since I saw that one, Rix!
Funny!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by hedwards on Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:07 pm

itlives wrote:T.E.N.S. stands for Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation.
E.M.S. stands for Electrical Muscle Stimulation

I received my new one two days ago and it was right on time. I had the worst headache I've ever had in my life. I think it was a migraine brought on by tension in my neck. I used it on the muscle in the EMS mode until I couldn't stay awake (because of the pain, I had to sleep). I woke up with the headache COMPLETELY gone.
That was the first time I ever used one of these for a headache.
Mostly they are used for muscle stimulation to fatigue the muscle w/o actual work. Once the muscle is fatigued, it will relax.
The TENS mode is thought to stimulate the body to release endorphins. However it works, I know it works on my elbow pains and tense muscles.
I'm posting this because I think many of us in here could use one of these little gems. They cost anywhere from in the $30 range on up to where you can't afford it (professional grade). Mine was about $50 delivered. I think they are worth looking into . Here's the one I got (I got it for, 1) price and 2) 5 year warranty)
http://www.discountmedicalsupplies.com/store/rehab-products/electrotherapy/tens-units/combo-stim-tens-ems.html

That's the same reason I get migraines. And I've been using a similar unit for a while when I need it.

But, AFAICT, what's going on is that the unit will hit the muscle with a small amount of current causing it to tighten, after wards it will relax a bit. This is similar to progressive muscle relaxation where you tighten and release muscle groups as you go about the body. It's just more tighly targeted and can go at a much more rapid clip.

BTW, the units are similar to electro-acupuncture, just less specifically targeted.

hedwards
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by E70 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:49 pm

Cool info. I've looked into these a long time ago but I never knew anyone who had one. Thanks for the link itlives. I didn't realize the cheaper ones were that effective. I always thought the expensive ones is where the "magic" happens.
E70
Experienced
Experienced

http://www.uncommonfitness.com

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:15 pm

Technology is the same in the inexpensive and the expensive. Anything used in a medical or therapy (of any kind) office are ridiculously high priced. I will not go to a doctor unless I have to.
I believe God has given us all the resources we need to stay healthy.
We mess it up. Like me, I've worked with paints all my life. I messed it up. So, I have to really watch my intake of foods to counter the chemicals!
There's always a way!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by E70 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:44 pm

Well said.
E70
Experienced
Experienced

http://www.uncommonfitness.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:24 pm

hedwards wrote:This is similar to progressive muscle relaxation where you tighten and release muscle groups as you go about the body. It's just more tighly targeted and can go at a much more rapid clip.

That sounds like a really good idea. Kind of like a turbo charged KStarr mobility wod (i.e. "contract, release, gristle face!").
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top