PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Convict Conditioning and Kettlebells - Molding a Mighty Body !

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Convict Conditioning and Kettlebells - Molding a Mighty Body !

Post by tilles on Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:40 pm

alexander_a wrote:great work mate, I'm glad you are addicted to handstands! those sissy squats are not to be sneezed at, I find them to be everything but sissy!

Also, glad to see that my brother in side bends-abs-building is still going strong with obligues!!!

It's true - those Sissy Squats don't deserve the name !
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:36 pm

Okidok - some Clean and Press today !

3 sets of 11 reps + 1 set of 7 reps; 16kg KBs; 30s rest between sets

Then

Side Bends using 32kg
1. 12reps/12reps
2. 10reps/10reps
3. 7reps/7reps

Sissy Squats 3 sets of 6 reps

Dips 3 sets of 3 reps

Then I did some Handstand Practice, didn't go for time, rather technique and went for some small partials !

I find that really tensing up my lats during the handstands helps with the partials...if I don't contract the lats my shoulders feel like they would 'pop out' if I go deeper...
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by musems on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:41 pm

Nice to read I'm not the only Sissy Squat devotee! Thanks for sharing your sequence of hand stand holds. Normally I just do three sets, but I'm haphazard with the time keeping. I'm planning to resume Capoeira in January and I really need to work on those.

musems
Novice
Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:22 am

Nice work on the handstands - your progressing well with these.

Stay consistent with the partials you'll get there!

The Lats play a pretty big stabilising roll during the handstand. A light set of Pullups and lat stretch beforehand helps.

Try supersetting with Pullups for a solid workout!
Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:14 pm

Pullups; mixed grip

1. 3reps
2. 3reps
then 6 sets of 2 reps
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:29 am

Hey mate. Glad you found somewhere to do Pullups.

I'm doing my Pullups on the kids playground in the back yard as well.

Nothing beats the outdoor workouts!

Except maybe the weather :affraid:

Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:11 pm

Rastaman wrote:Hey mate. Glad you found somewhere to do Pullups.

I'm doing my Pullups on the kids playground in the back yard as well.

Nothing beats the outdoor workouts!

Except maybe the weather :affraid:

Yeah - my 'pullup bar' could be better...it's actually more a fat bar than a regular bar...which is not a bad thing but it's kinda limiting my training :D
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:17 pm

CC Today !

Warmup lvl 3 Pushups 10 reps + 10s Handstand Hold

Pushups lvl 4

2 sets of 25 reps ---> lvl 5 regular Pushups I'm coming :)

+ 1 sets of 15 reps lvl 3 Pushups

Squats lvl 6 - heels elevated, lower than last time ~ 1,5 cm

2 sets of 15 reps ---> smoked my quads !

Handstand Holds + Bridges lvl 2

1. 60s + 11 reps
2. 40s + 10reps
3. 30s + 8 reps
4. 20s + 5 reps

After the Pushups and the Handstand Holds I felt that the Bridges were really hitting my tris !

Then Handstand Holds + Side Bends 32kg

1. 10s + 12reps/12reps
2. 10s + 8 reps / 8 reps

One more single set of Handstand Hold to finish the workout : 35s.

That's it.

tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:16 pm

I like your CC workouts, i really should STICK to it, i start it all for a week and stop! keep up the good work [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:25 pm

Rixstar wrote:I like your CC workouts, i really should STICK to it, i start it all for a week and stop! keep up the good work [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Yeah - I'm tryin to stick to it....recently I got a little variation into my training...I was following CC even stricter a month ago or something.

I'm actually excited about next CC workout - want to know how many 'real regular Pushups' I'm able to pump out :D
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:26 pm

Today : Weekly Rest and Cheat day - let's be lazy, don't move...study for finals and eat crappy foods :)
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:20 pm

Lazy - check
Immobile -check
Study- check
Crappy foods - NO!

That in itself will undo any gains. While recouping, you should be nice to your body not your mouth :suspect:
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:51 am

itlives wrote:

Crappy foods - NO!

That in itself will undo any gains. While recouping, you should be nice to your body not your mouth :suspect:

JAJAJAJAJAjajaja - I know, I know...but this one time the week I'm not following this advice ;)

Besides I'm eating 'crappy' foods combined with 'healthy/good' foods actually everyday as part oy my CBL diet and I'm doing great...I'm not feeling like crap as others do when they eat 'bad' food + as a student living on my own it's just easier to follow CBL with Carb backloads using sweets n stuff.

I'm not lean and ripped, but my strength goes up...lately I noticed some more muscle developpment and I'm not gettin fatter ( I'm tall - skinny-chubby).

I'll post a few samples of my daily nutrition the next few days maybe. :eat2: :eat1:
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:39 pm

Clean and Press time baby !

C & P; 16kg KBs

3 sets of 12 reps + 1 set of 4 reps; 30s rest between sets

Sissy Squats + Uneven Dips

1. 7 reps + 4 reps
2. 7 reps + 4 reps
3. 6 reps + 4 reps

Side Bends 32kg

1. 13reps/13reps
2. 11reps/11reps

Side Bends 24kg + Uneven Dips

1. 15reps/15reps + 4 reps
2. 10reps/10reps + 4reps

Then one more set of uneven dips : 2 reps

Handstand Hold to finish the Workout : 20-30s.

tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:40 am

I'm back home now and I'll Stay Here for the next two Weeks ! Means I'll have Access to my Old home gym (Barbell,Squat Stand,Bench and Pullup Bar ).

I will Keep on Doing the Same stuff : Day A - CC BWE Stuff, Day B - Pullups, Day C instead of KB Work some Barbell Stuff, Day D - Pullups

I'm Trying some Supplements since yesterday : BCAAs, Glutamine, ZMA, Creatine and Craze and HyperFx. I'll Post some detailed experiences When I'm back at University...right now I only have Access to my dads iPad and it's a Pain in the Ass to Write with this Piece of shit...it's Autocorrecting all the Time ...that's why the Lettern sometimes get Mixed up -.-

I'll Post yesterdays and todays Workstation later !
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by alexander_a on Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:42 am

dude, your KB clean and press has really increased! Glad to see!

Will be fun to read about your home training the next weeks!

alexander_a
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:28 am

Tilles !

Back to work. Time to tell us about that 'Old home Gym workout'.

Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:10 pm

I should be last to say anything about anyone's diet. I whatever I want whenever I want!
Although,when I went camping I overdid it on the bad stuff. I could really tell it!
Your workouts look good so carry on soldier!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:48 pm

Quick update : I'm back in Luxembourg now. Last week before the Finals has begun - the game is on.

I'm really,really busy right now and I was also very busy the last few weeks. That's why I neglected my online log. Nevertheless I always found time to work out :) and kept my workouts the old fashioned way (pencil,paper).

I won't post any workouts the next 2,5 weeks, because I simply won't find the time. Don't worry after the finals I'll be back ;)

But there will be HUGE Updates when I'm back...a lot has changed...here just a few topics I'll describe in detail after the finals :

- my experiences with all the supplements I tried yet
- my change to workouts in the morning (HOLY **** SHIT - I'M WORKIN OUT IN THE MORNING)
- my change to a loose paleo diet ( 'loose' because I'm taking supplements and not all the stuff I eat is organic and blablabla...and the booze on student partys...somebody has to drink it right ?:D )
see itlives - i'm changing to a healthy diet ;)

- my changeover of my workouts...I'm goin to cycle high/low volume on upper/lower body...stay tuned ;)
- i will also focus more on single leg strength....not just pistols, but also step ups, or single leg RDLs
- plus I got a 2nd 24kg KB for Christmas...it is still in Germany, but after the finals I will get it over to my place...let the Clean and Press fun begin ! :twisted: also thinking about some double Kb Snatching.
- all in all I'm leaving the CC path a little bit ( not completley...i'll still do some stuff from CC) and open up for variety far more. CC brought me back to bwe's but know i want to play around a bit and maybe come back later and do it again all the way.

Oh and here just a nice nugget . In my home gym I PR'd on BB Overhead Press : 48 kg for 4 reps and 46kg for 6 reps.

Plus I'm able to do partial pistols (almost half way down).

My workouts right know consist of Partial Pistols in GTG Style all day long and one 20 minute workout every morning using the Escalated Density Training with Pushups and Rows.
That's my time saving routine before the finals.
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:10 pm

A W E S O M E ! ! !

Good luck with your finals, looking forward to your workouts!
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:18 pm

Hey Tilles!

Good job on the partial pistols. I left the CC progressions for the pistol as well.

Might be worth starting some slow assisted pistol negatives with isolholds and some time getting comfortable in the pistol bottom position.

I found that once I was at the stage where I was able to do good volume on the half pistols, I started working negatives and really helped with balance and technique.

Good luck with the exams!
Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:16 pm

Pistol Progression: take a look at this link.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Cheers Chris
Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by alexander_a on Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:14 am

I agree, the CC progressions don't cut it. When I left them for pistols, i got it in a few sessions using negatives and bottom holds, It's more about getting comfortable in the hole than developing high rep endurance on lighter variations IMHO!

alexander_a
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by alexander_a on Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:15 am

Also, sounding paradox, I found that using a light weight in my hands in front of me helped with counter balance, 2,5 - 5 kg seemed to do the trick :D

alexander_a
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Pistols and getting there...

Post by 98poundweakling on Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:08 pm

alexander_a wrote:Also, sounding paradox, I found that using a light weight in my hands in front of me helped with counter balance, 2,5 - 5 kg seemed to do the trick :D
That is my experience, as well. Doesn't really matter what I'm holding, but it helps find that balanced position. I know one guy who grabs the ball of his foot. That's a good ham stretch!
alexander_a wrote:I agree, the CC progressions don't cut it. When I left them for pistols, i got it in a few sessions using negatives and bottom holds, It's more about getting comfortable in the hole than developing high rep endurance on lighter variations IMHO!
That's a well-stated HO. I find that some of the CC steps don't really aid you in getting to the master step.

Yes, Maxwell is, as ever, amazing.
98poundweakling
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:27 pm

I grab my foot to do pistols. Not for balance but because my quads cramp when I try pistols without holding my foot. Always has....
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:47 am

Hey guys - Tilles is back in business ! I wrote the last exam two days ago...since then I was mainly sleeping and relaxing :D
Now back to work : I worked out actually everyday during the finals which is pretty cool, also I managed to keep my diet healthy during finals, yey. Other stuff had to suffer...like my pullup training :( It is just freezing and snowing outside and I didn't want to risk getting sick during finals.

However I promised a huge update and here you go :

Supplements : I tried ZMA which kinda helped me getting a deeper sleep and apparently some crazy ass dreams :D
Glutamine : Helped with recovery...I never got sore, but the last few days I ran out of it and I noticed that my body is recovering without glutamine in the same speed - so no more need for that.
BCAAs : I might keep on taking them - they really helped get me going on empty stomach before training in the morning.
Craze Driven Sports : Great Booster in the morning when I'm feeling just too tired.

Which gets us to my next change : I'm workin out in the morning. Really helped me with my sleep difficulties. I get up early in the morning, work out on empty stomach ( maybe some bcaas or an apple...nothing big), that gets my body going and I'm awake. I added cold showers in the morning after training to my training ---> LOVE them. Then I just stay up late till I'm really tired and go to sleep - oh I forgot that I'm always going for a walk half an hour before bedtime and then have a nice warm shower, drink some herbal tea and I usually sleep like a baby.

I don't get 8 hours of sleep though, with the current schedule I'm sleeping around 6 hours. But honestly : I'd rather enjoy 6 hours of high quality sleep instead of rolling all over my bed for 8 hours and getting 4 hours of sleep in the end.

Now to my diet : I'm following a loose Paleo diet since the New Year.

My average daily diet looks like this .
Breakfast : Scrambled eggs (4 eggs), with 4-5 Slices of Bacon. 1-2 Bananas (depending on how my workout before was), 1-2 cups of green tea.
Snack : 1 apple and some nuts
Lunch : A piece of meat...either Chicken or Ground Beef..I usually have around 330 grams of meat. + some veggies like peppers and tomatoes. All cooked with olive oil.
Snack : Apple and some high fat natural yogurt (greek style)
Dinner : Again some meat (300-500g) and some veggies !
Snack after dinner (like 1 hour after dinner...kind of adelayed dessert :D) : High fat yogurt and some other fruit like oranges or whatever.

Results so far : I'm feeling great and have a lot of energy ! I also dropped a little bit of body fat...at least it fells like it and my trousers are getting loose around my waist :)
Anyways I'd like to crank up the volume with my training and get further into high volume training and get some hypertrophy going.
Next week I'll be back at home again and sty there for 3 weeks.
So I'll do the update on my workout 'plan' tomorrow.
There will be two new schedules : One for the 3 weeks at home ( good ol' home gym) and one for the time afterwards back in Luxembourg and the 2nd Semester.
Stay tuned !
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:52 am

Hey Tilles.

Glad your sleeping again. Getting the finals out of the way probably helped.

Now back to work !
Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:13 am

Yep - back to work :)

Now some info concerning my training.

I neglected a few parts of my training the last weeks : my posterior chain...shame on me ! Now not all the way...I started doing Bridges which feel absolutely AWESOME for the spine and the whole upper back.
Reason I stopped doing Pullups was the shitty weather. Reason I stopped doing any sort of KB Rows or Cleans was because of some lower back pain.

So i basically stopped any active pulling and foucsed bridges to ramp up my spine strength.

It helped ! Today I tried some KB Rows and did a few sets of bridges before the rowing...no pain ! Although I think I spotted my weak point...my core. It's not really weak :D, but compared to my pulling muscles it is ! I think that's the reason why I hurt myself doing Rows and Cleans...my back could keep on working but my core was to exhausted and I couldn't keep tight...and I'm an idiot to ignore that and kept on working out :headbang:
Lesson of the day : Listen to your body !

So however next week I'll be at home again for 3 weeks -> so I will have acces to my home gym and pullup bar inside ! :)
I want to start deadlifting again at least for these three weeks to strengthen my core and start some planking.
+ I will GTG the $hit out of my pullup bar and do some GTG for Handstand...just getting in the handstand, no pressing...seemed to help me alot whit HSPU.
BTW... I hit a new record on my HSPU Partials...2cm more and my arms hit the 90 degrees.

Now you know barely what I will do exactly the next few weeks but I'm just too lazy to write the whole thing down.

You'll see it when I'll post my workouts right ? :zerk:
Regular Updates start on Sunday when I'm home again !
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:29 am

I'm looking forward to your workouts!
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

HSPU's

Post by 98poundweakling on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:57 pm

tilles wrote:Yep - back to work :)
+ I will GTG the $hit out of my pullup bar and do some GTG for Handstand...just getting in the handstand, no pressing...seemed to help me alot whit HSPU.
BTW... I hit a new record on my HSPU Partials...2cm more and my arms hit the 90 degrees.
Grüß Di, Tilles! Are your HSPU's free-standing or against a wall?
98poundweakling
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:06 pm

98poundweakling wrote:
tilles wrote:Yep - back to work :)
Grüß Di, Tilles! Are your HSPU's free-standing or against a wall?

Servus 98 ;)

I'm working on Handstand Pushups Partials against a wall ! Nevertheless I managed to hold a simple handstand (without wall) for like 5 seconds the last few days ! :)
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:32 pm

Glad you're back tilles! And, also glad you made it through your finals in good shape- they can be a stresser!
Looking forward to your workouts.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:18 am

Ha, everybody is lookin forward to my workouts and here comes the first bummer -.-

Wanted to train this morning...too weak. Let's explain the circumstances : I have to catch an early train back to germany this morning...so I figured I have to get up at 5 if I want to get a workout done...I got up at 5...Problem was that I fell asleep at 2 because of these darn faggots in this residence ! God...there are actually people who'd like to sleep on a friday night !
I was just so darn tired and hungry... I started to do two sets of pushups but then stopped because it felt just shitty.

I'm lookin forward to my old room at home...completely dark in the basement...far away from any disturbing sound :)

At least I could cure my hunger : I had to clear my friedge this morning ----> 500g of Ground Beef, 5 eggs and 2 Bell Peppers for Breakfast my friend ! :eat1: :eat2:
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:45 am

Traveling on a full stomach! = GOOD trip!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:40 pm

Back home the only downside is that i don't have acces to a computer often so I'll update every few days.
Advantage ( more ore less) : My mother cooks really good but extremly nutritious stuff...I can't keep up the Paleo diet here and I will definetly be overeating...emh let's make these 3 weeks a mini bulk cycle.

Training : Mainly Barbell Lifts, some bwes and a lot of food !

I shifted to full body workouts every other day instead of split training.

Sunday's Training :

Warumup : Circuit of Bridges, Handstands ( wall), and Pullups
---> my new favourite warmup !

Barbell OHP : 1st set - 42kg 10reps...this was all out, i really grinded out the last rep
2nd set 42 kg - 9 reps...I went for another allout and came prettyclose to the 1st set

Barbells Squat : 32kg 21 reps
God, it's been a year since I did weighted back squats...and darn even that light weight kicked my ass...I washuffin and puffin, shackin like hell.

Then went for Pushups : as many reps as possible in 3 minutes
---> 26 reps

Stiff legged deadlift : 50kg 19reps..weight was too light !

+ I do pullups throughout the whole workout here and there and just try to get more in total volume every workout
Pullups 7 reps

Results : Extreme Soreness everywhere...even in my core :D

I will post yesterdays workout in a few minutes !

tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:46 pm

Yesterdays Workout

Warmup : Bridges,Handstands and Pullups

Barbell OHP : 44kg 9reps, 44kg 8 reps ---> reps were done till failure

Barbell Squat 34kg 23 reps ---> i might add more weight faster in the squat...I'm adapting fast to the technique and had just little soreness today...also I'm currently squatting less than my OHP :D

As many Pushups as possible in 3 minutes : 29reps

SLDL 62kg 16 reps ---> till failure

+ Pullups druing workout : 16reps !

I think I will stick to that schedule till i get back to luxembourg.

BUMMER : I have an operation concerning my teeth tomorrow evening and after that won't be able to di sports for at least 4-5 days -.- so I will hit a nice workout tomorrow morning that will give me some soreness for a few days ;)
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:40 pm

Tilles goes tills he hits failure!
Good work!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:03 pm

Thanks itlives !

I think I have to limit the failure/leistner stuff to 2 times the week...at least with the Overhead Press. Concerning Squats and SLDLs my recovery is far better !
This workout was from Thursday...last workout before my operation. Got two teeth removed...I'm basically running around wiht a shitload of painkillers and I can't do sports for at least the weekend...the wounds have to heal properly.

Workout :

OHP
44kg 10 reps ...only 8 strict reps + 2 pushpressed reps...i got less strict reps than last time
44kg 6 strict reps + 1 pushpressed rep

all reps till failure

Squats
40kg 24 reps - see, i'm having good progress with the squats, higher increase in work weight than usual and nevertheless more rep than last time ! plus I'm have just a little soreness...the set was cruel though :D

Stiff legged deadlifts
64kg 15 reps
also here improvement

Pushups - as many reps as possible in 3 minutes
28 reps - less reps than last time...I think the recovery of my smaller muscles is slower than the quads and hammies !

Then I did some Bodybuilding High Volume Stuff

Triceps Extensions with Expander...all inall around 100 reps per arm
love them to get the pump...constant tension on the muscles

Side Bends 24kg
15/15, 15/15

To really push the soreness and finish the workout
---> Front Raise 10kg 25 reps till failure

+ and don't forget the pullups throughout the workout : 16reps !
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:29 pm

Looking good tilles! Keep up the work, you'll only get betterer !
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:17 am

Going to failure is the way to succeed, some people dont agree with it but i think its necessary personally.

Pump is good :twisted:
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:33 am

Nice work Tiles!

Rix, I agree that going to failure is needed for progress, but also working in GTG and sub max sets seems to work well for me, especially when working the same moves several days in a row and learning a movement pattern.

When I've got a one or two rest days coming up I tend to push to failure more, when I know there's a bit more recovery time available.

The whole "going to failure causes the frying of the neural pathways"... Don't really know how they prove that one. What I do know is, it takes more time for recovery.

Burning out to Failure feels good :twisted:

Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:35 am

Frying a neural pathway would imply that it permanently hinders your ability to perform the movement. Who believes/says that???

And darn right it takes more time for recovery. Crazy more time. Like three days or more for me.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:36 am

HAHAHA TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU R-MAN :handshake: :hifive: :twisted:
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:58 am

Dave.cyco wrote:Frying a neural pathway would imply that it permanently hinders your ability to perform the movement. Who believes/says that???

And darn right it takes more time for recovery. Crazy more time. Like three days or more for me.

Meant to sat "frying CNS".
Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by alexander_a on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:08 pm

I think going to failure is very good for mass building and repetition strength. However, with skill work/GTG/max strength work, is seems quite unnessesary.

I also like the feeling so I like to put the "going to failure" on my lighter assistance stuff rather than on front levers and such. High rep shrugs or pushups seems to be alright to recover from, no matter how many times i push to failure on them :D

alexander_a
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:22 pm

Yeah true, should be applied to only certain things, i like it for endurance purposes.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:56 pm

Good points. Pushups and shrugs, yeah I hear that. I haven't trained to failure very often though... maybe it's why I'm so skinny, haha.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:06 pm

I'm more in line with alex here.

Easy, accessory, isolation movements, I don't see a problem with going to failure.

Complex, compound, gymnastic movements...heck no. 99% of the stuff I do is this, and it's all submaximal, and (besides my HeSPUs...which have plateaued again recently due to my own stupidity), I make plenty of progress without it ever being that "hard."

It's cool if you like the feeling, but not the quickest way to skill acquisition, that's for sure.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:16 pm

Whoa Guys - all that wisdom in my log :D
Thanks for your thoughts ! I think I will alternate the failure stuff with some lower volume stuff as soon soon as I get back to luxembourg...

Besides that...what's in your opinion the best repitition volume/ amount to kick hypertrophy focusing on bwe's ? I know it's a kind of general question and everybody responds differently to certain rep/set schemes, but I'd like to hear your personal experiences, since I never really focused on hypertrophy ( but I'd like to do so :D ).
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top