PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Your very first workout

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Your very first workout

Post by itlives on Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:26 am

I thought it might be interesting to see peoples first workout they ever posted on the internet. It took me awhile to find it on the old site (which is overdone toast now). This thread could be a good place to put a link to your old logs (until they disappear forever).
Link- http://www.bodyweightculture.com/forum/showthread.php?11182-itlives-and-trains-LOG

Dec 17 2008-
A little forward :
53 years old
173 lbs.
fairly fit but not strong enough
Kung-Fu background so I'm more flexible than most.

I've never done this kind of working out. The guys on here are amazing to me.
I'm probably going to be a little "choppy" at first because I'm in the middle of buying a new house. It's going to have my shop on it so I can work from home. The lot is 130' wide and almost 700' feet deep.
I plan on making the back "40" into an obstacle course using ideas from here. The lot is totally wooded so I'm waiting for good weather to get started clearing. I can leave as many "workout" trees as I want

I'm built weird in that when I don't workout, I loose weight ( sorry Rickvv).
The most I ever weighed was 182 back in the '80's.
I don't care about my weight, I just want to be stronger!

Right now I have a sinus infection and I feel weak. That didn't stop me from doing this yesterday.
5 sets of 3 pull-ups
5 sets of 10 dips (last few were assisted)
2 sets of 10 burpees
It's a start!

That has made me hurt pretty good today.
I need one of those bars to put in the doorway.

I made the mistake of watching the Bartendaz and thought I could do that. That was friday night that I had the epiphany.

So , there's my first entry. Any comments are welcome
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Re: Your very first workout

Post by itlives on Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:39 am

Dave, I found yours from Oct 5, 2006- I hope you don't mind. Just delete and chastise me later if you do.

This works great!

I have only been on this forum for a week and a half, but I have made gains in strength, tone and endurance using some of the new tricks I am learning here.

This is what do every morning now, some I used to do before, some I got from here (I often change up the order, but I will list my favourite order here):

Literally as soon as I wake up (still in bed) Gymnastic back bridge for 1-3 minutes depending on how I feel.
one set of 30-100 crunches/truck twist crunches
30-50 hindu squats with 60 lb in a weighted vest
5-10 one leg squats on each leg (I will be increasing both reps and sets soon)
50-100 b/w hindu squats
3 sets of 10-20 close grip pushups (working towards the one arm PU's)
1-2 sets of 20-30 hindu pushups
2 sets of horizontal rows
2 sets of side shoulder planking and holding for time, sometimes bouncing on it a little for the extra stretch.
LOTS of stretching; every muscle group I can think of gets stretched afterwards. I tend not to stretch before, because the hindu squats really warm me up good and get me feeling very loose.
After, I go do some deep breathing exercises and really focus on squeezing the abs

I do the same workout at night, although I tend to do a few more reps, and I often add some of these exercises:

1-2 set of 8-12 dips with 60lb weitsed vest
1 set of 10-20 dips without weight
1-2 sets of chair pushups
10-20 handstand pushups (not the full range of motion yet, though)
5-10 handstand negatives
1-3 minutes of duck walking and duck bouncing as like to I call it
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by trainingforlife on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:40 am

The very first workout I ever did was a PT test to enter the Army in 96. Which was max push-ups,sit-ups & a 1/2 mile run. I want to say I did 10 push-ups,8 sit-ups and a 10 minute 1/2 mile. I was 135LBs and never did anything too physical. As far as keeping an online log I did not start that until 2004 on a site called Iron Tybe. Which have been off line since 07.

trainingforlife
Masterful
Masterful

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoK7PpW9-MZvpiFtiuYVtLg

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:28 pm

The first real workout I ever did was from the 100 push-ups program haha:

14 push-ups
18 push-ups
14 push-ups
14 push-ups
max push-ups (at least 20)

60 sec rest between sets.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:32 pm

From my intro post on BWC over 6 years ago:

Dave.cyco wrote:I have taken part in Kempo Freestyle Karate, and Traditional Hapkido. I started lifting weights almost 2 years ago, but I switched to bodyweight exercises exclusively starting May of 2006. They just make more sense, and i can and will do them until age 100 and beyond!

This forum is the best thing I have ever found! I used to spend countless hours searching the web for bodyweight tips and tricks, but this place has it all! Thank you!

I can already do one leg squats fairly easily, since I have been a commuting cyclist for years, and I do 20-30 hindu squats with a 60 lb weight vest every single day before breakfast.

Those were the days.

And my idea of "lifting weights" at the time was doing a random mishmash of curls with 20 pounds and bench presses with 65 pounds, no more than once a week. :facepalm:
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:40 pm

When I read the 60 lb. Hindu Squats, I realized where your base for lifting heavy came from!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:09 pm

:nod:
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down