PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

When & What to eat?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

When & What to eat?

Post by trainingforlife on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:25 pm

I thought this would be a good time to start a "When/ When to eat" thread. Here are some topic starters

When:
1. Every 2-3 hours
2. When hungry
3. Right before bed
4. In the middle of the night

What:
1. High protein
2. Vegetarian
3. Low carb/No carb
4. Paleolithic

Please free to add any other styles of eating and why you feel they are imporatnt to reach X goal/s.

trainingforlife
Masterful
Masterful

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoK7PpW9-MZvpiFtiuYVtLg

Back to top Go down

Re: When & What to eat?

Post by Dave on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:27 pm

When:
Always

What:
Everything

:eyebrows: :eat1: :eat2:
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by trainingforlife on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:28 pm

:clappy:
Dave wrote:When:
Always

What:
Everything

:eyebrows: :eat1: :eat2:

Wish we all could do that if I eat evertime I was hungry I would be 250+ in no time. Its already hard for me to stay under 240lb :eat2:

trainingforlife
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:30 pm

I disagree when people say there's only one way to eat.

Personally, I eat like this:

When:
1. 4-6 times a day
2. big meal right before bed

What:
1. high carb, everything else high as well LOL (4500-5000 calories)
2. try to focus on micronutrient dense food nowadays

that's it...
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by trainingforlife on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:36 pm

Iliander wrote:I disagree when people say there's only one way to eat.

Personally, I eat like this:

When:
1. 4-6 times a day
2. big meal right before bed

What:
1. high carb, everything else high as well LOL (4500-5000 calories)
2. try to focus on micronutrient dense food nowadays

that's it...

Wow thats a good amount of calories. I dont even take in that much and I am 235-240. You are lighter then I am,right ? :scaredy:

Normal day-
Since I have not been on a meal plain today here is what I had yesterday.
Meal 1. 11Am 1 1/2 cup oats
Meal 2. 2PM 3 pieces of fruit
Meal 3. 6PM @ 2-3 cups of green bean
Total water 96oz

Today-Cheat day.
Meal. 1PM foot long subway. Philly on flat bread,cheese,tomatoes, pickles, mustard, & salt/pepper. Also bag of chips and small soda.
Total water 16oz

Last edited by trainingforlife on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

trainingforlife
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:38 pm

Three times a day, or when you're hungry. When doesn't really matter, except for post-training. Eating at some point before you train also works well :)

As for what, high protein seems important, the other stuff less so. Eat a little above maintenance to gain, a little less to lose, and never shoot for big jumps in weight (up or down) because they won't last.

My $0.02.

EDIT - also get around 70 oz of water.

Last edited by Fatman on Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:40 pm

I agree with you Fatman, you too Ili. I was just kidding, I don't eat all the time like that, but I do eat more than I used to. My coworkers are often saying "There he goes eating again!" Or "How many jugs of milk have you had already today!"
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:49 pm

@TFL: Haha, well, I am only 16 and at that age your metabolism is crazy fast...
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by trainingforlife on Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:50 pm

Iliander wrote:@TFL: Haha, well, I am only 16 and at that age your metabolism is crazy fast...

Oh I see lol Must be nice lol

trainingforlife
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:55 pm

trainingforlife wrote:Oh I see lol Must be nice lol
It depends lol... the good thing is that it only takes a few days for me to lose fat, but the bad thing is that I usually have to force feed myself to gain weight lol!
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by trainingforlife on Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:47 pm

Iliander wrote:
trainingforlife wrote:Oh I see lol Must be nice lol
It depends lol... the good thing is that it only takes a few days for me to lose fat, but the bad thing is that I usually have to force feed myself to gain weight lol!

When I was 16 I was 125LBS. At about age 25 or so is when I started to put on weight. I am now 37, & 240LBs. Just do what your doing, stay positive and give it time.

trainingforlife
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:25 am

I'd be 300 pounds if I ate like some of you younger guys!

I pretty much follow a paleo-ish version of the warrior diet. I'm much happier eating very small amounts during the day, I find that even a medium sized breakfast or lunch makes me tired and sleepy.
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:18 am

Definitely try intermittent fasting mate. Take a look at http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

I don't follow this to the letter, but fasting until lunchtime makes calorie control easy, especially if (like me) you tend to overeat in the evenings. Surprisingly for me training in the fasted state does not seem to affect my workout energy levels. Then again caffeine works wonders!

As long as I'm still making good progression, Im getting enough calories in.
Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:18 pm

trainingforlife wrote:When I was 16 I was 125LBS. At about age 25 or so is when I started to put on weight.

I was also skinny in my teenage years, although not as low as 125 pounds. Also started gaining around 25.

I did the force-feeding thing and gained little from it, except for gastric discomfort. I would eat everything in sight, move up in weight a few pounds, then lose it all as soon as I stopped overeating. This was obviously nothing but a vicious circle (to avoid using the cruder phrase that also contains "circle" :mrgreen: ) that cost me money my student budget could not afford and kept me from re-examining my training to make it more conducive to building large gunz and pecs of steel. So I flushed my $$$ down the porcelain bowl (literally) and became a nuisance at parties and buffets.

Once I started gaining, I could not abandon the "moar is bettar YOLO" mentality and ended up at 230+ lbs. and probably close to 18-20% BF. I did develop some impressive fatceps from it, tho, and earned the right to legitimately complain about thigh chafing.

Overeating and undereating are wrong approaches IMO. If you can't gain weight from about 300-600 cals per day above your maintenance amount, you're not getting anything out of the extra calories. The scale will show a marginal increase in weight, but it will not be real weight gain. You're essentially pushing harder against a locked door instead of looking for the key (sounds corny, that, but it's a decent description).
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:34 pm

Fatman wrote:I was also skinny in my teenage years, although not as low as 125 pounds. Also started gaining around 25.

I did the force-feeding thing and gained little from it, except for gastric discomfort. I would eat everything in sight, move up in weight a few pounds, then lose it all as soon as I stopped overeating. This was obviously nothing but a vicious circle (to avoid using the cruder phrase that also contains "circle" :mrgreen: ) that cost me money my student budget could not afford and kept me from re-examining my training to make it more conducive to building large gunz and pecs of steel. So I flushed my $$$ down the porcelain bowl (literally) and became a nuisance at parties and buffets.

Once I started gaining, I could not abandon the "moar is bettar YOLO" mentality and ended up at 230+ lbs. and probably close to 18-20% BF. I did develop some impressive fatceps from it, tho, and earned the right to legitimately complain about thigh chafing.

Overeating and undereating are wrong approaches IMO. If you can't gain weight from about 300-600 cals per day above your maintenance amount, you're not getting anything out of the extra calories. The scale will show a marginal increase in weight, but it will not be real weight gain. You're essentially pushing harder against a locked door instead of looking for the key (sounds corny, that, but it's a decent description).
Well, I gained a lot from it.

I was 15 @ 135 lbs and now 16 @ 175 lbs. I gained a lot of muscle, some fat as well of course but I'm still lean.

I think the reason I can do this is because of a very fast metabolism.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:43 pm

Iliander wrote:I was 15 @ 135 lbs and now 16 @ 175 lbs. I gained a lot of muscle, some fat as well of course but I'm still lean.

Undoubtedly this has worked, but would 3,000 cals have worked as well as 4,500? I think yes.

I gained muscle easily until about 185, made a huge jump at age 17-18, 25 lbs. in 3 months or something. But this was on 3 meals a day and without overeating, training 6 days per week with no sense or routine. :roflol2: :roflol2: :roflol2: So anyone could have done the same. Teenage hormones are a wonderful thing.

I still looked very lean, but like a skinny guy who lifts weights.
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by trainingforlife on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:24 pm

The way you eat and train has to reflect your goals. I like being big 235+, but I like being healthy,good heart rate and good blood pressure. I eat (when I eat) to fuel my training style. Which is big lifts, some running and a little body weight stuff. As you can see big lifts are at the top, and as long as the Doc. says I am healthy I dont really care what I look like as long as I reform well.

trainingforlife
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:26 pm

Fatman wrote:Undoubtedly this has worked, but would 3,000 cals have worked as well as 4,500? I think yes.

I gained muscle easily until about 185, made a huge jump at age 17-18, 25 lbs. in 3 months or something. But this was on 3 meals a day and without overeating, training 6 days per week with no sense or routine. :roflol2: :roflol2: :roflol2: So anyone could have done the same. Teenage hormones are a wonderful thing.

I still looked very lean, but like a skinny guy who lifts weights.
I don't think 3000 cals would've worked. I started slowly gaining weight once I upped my cals to about 4000. Then later I did a ridiculously unclean bulk of at least 5500 cals a day or something, huge amounts of chocolate milk were the bulk of diet lol. I gained a lot of fat quickly, but then later I just lost it while building muscle. If I would eat 3000 calories a day, lol trust me I would not be able to sleep from hunger.

And yeah, teenage hormones are awesome.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:27 pm

Not corny, but very well phrased. :up:
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1zuppi86 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:32 pm

I like having a salmon omelet (3 eggs) before I go to bed, and I drink it down with green tea. It's very tasty provided you add the right spices and it takes under 10 minutes to prepare it, cook it and eat it. U jelly?

1zuppi86
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:08 am

I little, actually, and hungry now too.  :think:
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:29 pm

I've always been skinny. Eat everything in sight and not gain weight.

I realize now that if I'd have enjoyed weight lifting, I could have gained. But I didn't, so I didn't.

Always eating whatever, whenever EXCEPT now I can feel excess carbs in my joints (inflammation) so I'm slowly eliminating excess carbs.

Dang! I like bread!
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:22 am

I am wondering if a "fish, fruit, water" diet would work... just those 3 things.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:40 am

I'm sure you'd live. I think it would not be an optimal for growth. Too much sugar from only fruit. You need veggies!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:29 pm

Fish and fruit only sounds pretty limited, as Mike said.  You need veggies to be properly healthy.  Speaking of which I need to get some veggies myself right now...
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bissen on Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:09 am

I'd be 721109248lbs if I ate all the time :zaru:

Kidding aside, I do eat a lot more than I did just a year ago. Even half a year ago. I hope/think I'm somewhat out of what I brought my body into, those many years ago :roll:

Currently, I'm trying out 2400-2600kcals per day. I'm really trying to go with instinct and hunger.
Moderate everything (macros, that is). 1.5kg veggies per day. Workout 5 days per week. I'm still around 145lbs (bodyweight)

Btw, too much fish, well, fatty fish, is supposedly pretty risky, too. The fats will make your veins elastic, and the risk of getting a stroke increases (dude studying nutrition told me). Obviously, that's not good. Twice a week is suitable, I've heard.
Bissen
Masterful
Masterful

http://www.moarninjaplz.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ab1 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:48 am

I found calculating protien vs. calories for my meat saved me some money and changed wat I buy. I have to get at least 70g of protien per day but also need to stay below 1800 calories.

Here is a rough calculation just to give you an idea.

100 grams of the following in protien value and calorie value.

Tuna 30g protien/ 220 cla
Beef 14g/ 230 cal
Chicken 21g/ 210 cal
Pork 22g/225 cal
sardine/mackrell 25g/ 220 cal

To get 70 g of protien one would combine say 100g tuna and 200g of pork for the day, tuna is lunch pork is dinner. A total of 670calories so you would have 1130 claories left for breakfast, carbs and veggies.

I have almost stopped buying beef, pork is way better bang for your buck and you get some great lean cuts like neck and fillet. Also one grilled or roasted sardine or mackrell for lunch is tasty and not nearly the price of salmon.
Ab1
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by Bissen on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:52 am

BELOW 1800?!?! What are you, 4ft tall?

Btw, pork protein quality is pretty darn low, compared to beef.
And where are the eggs? :zaru:
Bissen
Masterful
Masterful

http://www.moarninjaplz.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:56 am

I just read this article.

http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2013/07/easy-meals-for-busy-athletes/

Excellent.
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:44 am

Good article, Rich! Didn't quite get through it, but will keep it for later.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:47 am

Ben Greenfield's website is PACKED with great information. It's mostly directed towards endurance athletes, but there's something for everyone there.
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:58 am

dont want to create new topic for this, similar question

my trainings are best when I do them at like 3-5pm
is it smart to eat only fat/protein until 2pm, then get some, low GI fruit, nuts, protein shake maybe then train and get good carbs after training?

I have my own way now, I noticed I feel very awake after some foods but not that ones before training lol, not sure if it would work the same if I switch certain foods
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:27 pm

Buckyx- since most people are most active during the day, they should get most carbs early. Proteins and fats should be for rebuilding muscle after your workout.
Mike's simple version....
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:48 pm

First meal should be high carb and starchy with protein and fats. Then second meal should be carb and starchy with protein and fats. generally complex carbs btw. Then you should have some fast acting carbs before a workout with protein. Then straight after a workout during the anabolic window (that's right, bro science) indulge in fast acting carbs and lots of protein. Then protein for the next two meals with little carbs.

That's a generic simple example.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:04 pm

So... carbs and protein... all day. I can handle that.  :eat2: 
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:09 pm

And fats! It's a 3 legged stool. Gotta have all three too keep you upright.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:03 pm

I used to do IF, 2pm a lot of fat and protein, 6pm post workout a lot of carbs and protein and dinner 10pm a lot of fat and protein and shred very fast

now my breakfast is  4eggs omelet, avocado, tomato/paprika and maybe nuts

then I eat eg apple with dark chocolate, pre workout is meat + nuts+ veggies
postworkout rice/potatoes + meat + veggies

dinner cottage + veggies maybe

these das I eat a lot of carbs tho, unhealthy choices like fruit yogurts with oatmeal or cakes idk, I am at home and temptations are strong :D

I am just curious, I see a lot of experienced guys post about fat/protein and carbs only postworkout so I am a bit confused when someone advise a lot of carbs for breakast

I used to eat yoghurt with oatmeal as first meal, I was hitting 400+ g carbs that days

Last edited by Buckyx on Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:20 pm

Well I am a fan of IF'ing. Dropped over 5% fat with it. But only if it's more conviniant and your focused. For example I was working early in the morning til after noon so IF'ing worked out nicely for me at the time. That being said I think a healthier way is to slowly feed your macros slowly through out the day with 4-6 meals a day. Since doing this I am never hungry, all my meals are perfectly proportioned and nutrionally calculated, and I feel full of energy throughout the day. All this allows me to never give in to temptation and stray from my strict diet.

Now to the point. When you first wake up your body has just come out of a resting state, you now have the whole day ahead of you, slow digesting complex carbs will "set you up" for the day and slowly release energy, porridge isn't BS uno, it's amaze-balls. You need to jump start your body into an anabolic state. I consume 100 grams of protein 150-200 grams of carbs and 40 fats and roughly 1000 calories all before 11 o clock, I feel strong and nourished for the rest of the day and never feel hunger.

I then continue to feed my body the rest of the day levelling out the proteins to carbs. So more protein less carbs. Carbs, proteins and fats work together to build muscle. Not just about proteins.

/broscience.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:31 pm

well to lose fat I need to eat like 2k cals a day so I cant imagine I would eat 1k cals before 11am, my breakfast is around 9-10am

no matter how much I eat I tend to be hungry after 2-3 hours after each meal, if I eat a lot of protein/fat in meal and feel full after or I eat low GI fruit and some fat

also when I did IF I felt more hungry during 8 hour eating period than 16 hours fasting what is just weird

Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:39 pm

2k a day is pretty low. Are you factoring in working calories. For example my maintanance cals are 1800 but I have an active job and workout 4 days a week for an hour or so, so I times by 1.55 to get 2800 as my maintanance cals.

Not saying your wrong at all. Just informing you with knowledge you may or may not know.

I'm clean n lean bulking so 1000 clean cals is easy for me. Plus I train in early morning so those cals are necessary.

Maybe that's your body. You should try hitting specific macros every 3 hours and I would hazard a guess to say you wouldn't get hungry so easy. If you wanna lose body fat, up fats to maybe 80-100 grams a day and keep proteins and carbs about 150 grams a day. Generic cut macros.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:47 am

I am a lot sedentary, I didnt track my macros before first diet but when I calced it was cca 2600+ daily and I was at 80kg 20%bf maybe

with IF I was at like 1900-2000 cals I think too so 2k shouldnt be that bad but I dont know I still feel like I eat a lot with each meal sometimes I end up hungry, sometimes not

that 2k now is without vegetables tho, I'll add some fat to each meal and maybe I wont be hungry at all then, hard to tell if it affects my performance because I change often
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:13 am

Try something on for a week or so and see how you feel, only adjusting by small degrees as needed, and maybe you'll get a better idea of what's right for you.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:42 am

just wanted to know others opinion, for sure I am still experimenting
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:08 am

Try this... with the understanding to adjust to what you need in order to meet your goals. Simple and to the point.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:40 pm

once a friend advised me IIFYM, started to count calories since then but never payed attention to it, also I read some articles how its BS

all what is matters is caloric balance, if you lose/gain fat or muscles depends on macros and micros

I had fastest fatloss while on extreme deficit - extreme fatigue also
then eating a bit more with IF

what I never did was calculating junk food in daily total, If I ate junk my mentality was broken like IDGAF
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:01 pm

Well, an extreme deficit will result in muscle loss aswell as fat loss. Slow small deficit weight loss is the most efficient for maintaining muscle and reducing fat.

IIFYM is not bs. It's bs if your eating anything. But I eat so cleanly that sometimes I miss out on fats and cals so something like cheese or chocolate enables me to hit macros.

You need to work out your macros perfectly and count calories to cut or build muscle efficiently.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:32 pm

yeah its not a problem, just figure out what to eat and when so my body can work properly for my needs is next step
total cals and macros is not hard to get, yea sometimes I eat cheese too if I am short on avocado or nuts I eat a lot of various seeds
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum