PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Cleans & front squats every day?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cleans & front squats every day?

Post by Iliander on Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:34 pm

I want to try this.

I really enjoy heavy sets of 1-3 reps, or even just attempts.

What are your ideas on cleaning & squatting (or similar) low reps every day?
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Re: Cleans & front squats every day?

Post by Dave on Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:38 pm

Do it. :up:

Always make form good and you should be fine.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:41 pm

Dave wrote:Do it. :up:

Always make form good and you should be fine.
Ok! I look forward to it... I put my barbell on the grass and it feels awesome.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:21 pm

should really get my barbell out and try some cleans, sitting in a shed getting d/rusty. Would be cool doing it every day, dont see how it could hurt, unless it hits you in the face of course.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:46 pm

As long as you stay away from failure you shouldn't have any problem cleaning and front squatting every day. Go for it!
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:51 am

Rixstar wrote:should really get my barbell out and try some cleans, sitting in a shed getting d/rusty. Would be cool doing it every day, dont see how it could hurt, unless it hits you in the face of course.
Yeah do that! :)

Cheesedog wrote:As long as you stay away from failure you shouldn't have any problem cleaning and front squatting every day. Go for it!
Oh come on! Where's the fun if you can't go to failure? :toothy:
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:30 pm

Don't worry about failure especially if you aren't using that much weight yet.
What I would advise against is doing cleans every day, at first at least, just because of wrist/shoulder tightness/inflexibility and potential injury.

Something like this could work:

Day 1--front squats, many sets of 2-3 up to a top set and then a few backoff sets with 90% of that. Follow with russian leg curls and/or bridging, back raise, etc.

Day 2--power cleans, many sets of 2-3 up to a top set and then a set of clean grip high pulls to navel level with 110% of the top set. Follow up with pistols and squat jumps for height or distance.

Do the days back to back, take a day off here and there as necessary. With the FS and cleans, you can go up in a rising bar format (e.g. 40kg x2, 50x2, 60x2, 70x2, 80x2, 80x2, 65x3, 65x3 (backoffs) that'd be a good workout) or in waves, thus--30kg x3, 40x3, 50x3, 40x3, 50x3, 60x3, 50x3, 60x3, 70x3, 75x3, 70x2x3 sets (backoffs).

Occasionally work up to a max single. Do heavy upper body work every day, whatever you normally do, but take good care of your wrists. Light wrist roller work and stretching should help, and consider getting wrist wraps (just a cheap pair for $10 or so) once you start cleaning well over bodyweight.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:24 am

Hm, I haven't had any flexibility issues with cleans yet, and don't front squats require just as much flexibility as cleans?

I like your suggestions man, but the reason I wanted to mix cleans and front squats into the same workout is because I have no squat rack so I always have to clean the bar before squatting it. That's why it's kinda nice to alternate them during the workout, my idea was to go for heavy 1 rep cleans, and if I managed to clean a certain weight I would do max front squats with that (my front squats are a lot stronger than my cleans). A really primitive approach lol but I think it works.

I'm certainly gonna do some pistols (and squat jumps) at the end, didn't think about it yet... russian leg curl too but the inside of my left knee hurt from it a couple of days ago same with deadlifts (can do them again now probably).

Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna pay attention to it, I'll have to try out a few ways to see what will work.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:13 pm

Well, first off you don't have to 'catch' a front squat but can get it into the most comfortable position right from the start. Or, use a crossed-arm grip. If you don't have a rack, though (which I forgot :doh: ) just doing lots of power clean + front squat is a good idea.

I'd say still do something similar to what I first advised in terms of working up/waving up, but do 2-3 FS for every clean, or however the ratio works out for you. And I would still advise doing heavy clean pulls/clean grip high pulls, improving your clean will be important if you're going to rely on it to get the bar into position for squat jumps.
Are you going to try and learn squat cleans?
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:58 pm

Journeyman wrote:try and learn squat cleans

I couldn't agree more! :mrgreen:
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:10 pm

^ I'm personally not sure they're worth it.

If you want pure explosive force development, power cleans are easy to learn and you can get the same benefits with less weight.
Unless you have really good form and a deep, atg catch in the squat clean, you won't be able to use them to replace front squats anyway. And I don't know anyone with really good squat clean form (maybe sena would count, I haven't seen a vid of him lifting)... it's tough to learn.

Personally, I think that if you don't have the potential to be an actual competitive O-lifter, stick to variants that give you the same benefits without requiring so much 'learning' time. Thus--clean and snatch grip high pull, front squat, power clean, muscle snatch. Maybe btn jerks and overhead squats would fit in there too. There's a reason football players and throwers don't do the full O-lifts....
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:12 pm

Journeyman wrote:Well, first off you don't have to 'catch' a front squat but can get it into the most comfortable position right from the start. Or, use a crossed-arm grip. If you don't have a rack, though (which I forgot :doh: ) just doing lots of power clean + front squat is a good idea.

I'd say still do something similar to what I first advised in terms of working up/waving up, but do 2-3 FS for every clean, or however the ratio works out for you. And I would still advise doing heavy clean pulls/clean grip high pulls, improving your clean will be important if you're going to rely on it to get the bar into position for squat jumps.
Are you going to try and learn squat cleans?
Yup I'm still gonna work up.

Can you explain what exactly is a clean pull? I searched it but everyone does them differently lol.

Squat cleans? I prefer power cleans tbh...
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:24 pm

Clean pull does have different meanings. Basically it's an exercise to practice the hip drive of the 'second pull' in power or squat cleans or snatches, snapping your hips forwards when the bar comes up over your knees, with a heavier weight. You just do a power clean but don't catch the bar at the top. If it's heavier, only pull as high as your navel and it might look more like a deadlift + shrug. If the weight is lighter, just over your best power clean, the bar might end up at your sternum. Some people do clean grip high pulls to the shoulders, too. Just keep track of where it ends up and either try to pull higher with the same weight or match the same height with a heavier weight. These will make you much better at cleans of any sort.
You can do snatch grip pulls do, that's basically the same thing but with a snatch grip... again, to the navel or sternum or shoulders. The Chinese love these as a heavy assistance exercise.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:36 pm

Journeyman wrote:^ I'm personally not sure they're worth it.

They're fun and one heck of a ride, which is why I do them. Also, the weight of the bar feels dramatically magnified when squat cleaning compared to front squatting.

And I don't know anyone with really good squat clean form (maybe sena would count, I haven't seen a vid of him lifting)... it's tough to learn.

You don't like my clean? I know I am back pulling like when I DL heavy and Sena says I should make it more snappy (by working hang cleans) but would you go as far as to call it bad?

Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:46 pm

I mean, by normal standards it ain't 'bad' :eyebrows: but check out the top of the catch:

This is basically a power clean with knee bend at the top, followed by sinking into a front squat. This is what most people do (heck, I've never gotten this far, all I can do is ugly muscled-up power cleans) and what you and matt do as well. If the catch isn't low, I wouldn't call it a squat clean... maybe a quarter-squat clean, haha. I'm not saying that if you don't catch it at the bottom, like an olympic lifter, it doesn't count, but it has to involve a squat to be a squat clean, yes?

On your heavier clean vids it's basically the same. Pulling the bar up and catching with knee dip, then sinking down. This is a step above normal power cleans, but the idea is to pull yourself down under the bar... it shouldn't have to come up above your ribcage for you to get under it. Once you master that, and get your front squat up above 1.5x bodyweight, you can start doing real squat cleans, and you'll be able to progress towards shouldering 3 plates.
Just my .02, remember I'm not an O-lifter but I do pay attention to this stuff.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:21 pm

I see what you mean.

Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:35 pm

Right. Look at some of the superheavyweight olympic lifters, before today's current crop of 300+ pound technicians, and you'll see plenty of that. Paul anderson, doug hepburn, and ken patera all seemed to 'squat in the squat clean' just because, instead of actually catching the bar low. It's terribly inefficient compared to the squat clean and like I said, is basically a cheated power clean + front squat.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:41 pm

Actually, I was wrong--anderson did manage to pull himself down under the bar, despite horrible jerk form:

Doug hepburn's equally ugly split clean:

Lu's form is cleaner than Dimas'. Also, note that the 170 and 180-pound modern lifters are putting up more than hepburn and anderson. Regardless, incredible raw power from all four lifters.
Anderson and hepburn are moving the bar around themselves. Dimas and Xiaojun are, at least on the second pull and catch on the jerk, moving themselves around the bar. Big difference--and the latter is where all the flexibility, speed, coordination, and end range strength necessary for O-lifting come into play.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:50 pm

Snatch grip high pull to the shoulders from Lu.

Clean grip high pull to the ribcage.

More lu xiaojun (I've probably posted these before)

Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:14 am

Xiaojun's C&J is simply beautiful. No two ways about it. And these vids have me wanting to do some fast snatch pulls... when my back is recovered that is!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:10 am

Yeah he's a technician. Perfect form. Beastly strength, too, as with dimas... both had rather astounding brute power at 170-180lb. I mean, dimas could front squat something like 600 and snatch grip deadlift about the same. Xiaojun can front squat nearly as much, as you can see, while being even lighter, and has muscle snatched 110kg... it's possible he could strict press something like 250@169, given all the accessory work he does.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:23 am

Journeyman wrote:Clean pull does have different meanings. Basically it's an exercise to practice the hip drive of the 'second pull' in power or squat cleans or snatches, snapping your hips forwards when the bar comes up over your knees, with a heavier weight. You just do a power clean but don't catch the bar at the top. If it's heavier, only pull as high as your navel and it might look more like a deadlift + shrug. If the weight is lighter, just over your best power clean, the bar might end up at your sternum. Some people do clean grip high pulls to the shoulders, too. Just keep track of where it ends up and either try to pull higher with the same weight or match the same height with a heavier weight. These will make you much better at cleans of any sort.
You can do snatch grip pulls do, that's basically the same thing but with a snatch grip... again, to the navel or sternum or shoulders. The Chinese love these as a heavy assistance exercise.
Ah, so a power clean without catching the bar. Thanks, definitely gonna do these.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by THE SENA on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:03 pm

Iliander wrote:I want to try this.

I really enjoy heavy sets of 1-3 reps, or even just attempts.

What are your ideas on cleaning & squatting (or similar) low reps every day?

Hello fellow front squat enthusiast. I used to hate doing 'em, till I fractured my C7 doing snatch balances and boycotted the back squat in favour for it for 3 months. 3 freaking months. That's a long time. Now, my front squat sits at 90% of my back squat and I grew to love them.

If you intend to do them everyday, I certainly do not advise training within 3RM range every session. Firstly, the rule of thumb in strength training is exercise rotation and periodization. Doing the same thing, at heavy loads, day in/out will most definitely lead to overuse injury.

I would propose:

Day 1: 3RM
Day 2: 3RM @ ~65% RM (explode on the upwards phase as fast as possible)
Day 3: 3RM with 4s lowering
Day 4: 3RM with 2s pause @ bottom
Day 5: 3RM using 1 1/4 reps (Assuming you go below parallel, squat to bottom, rise up till parallel, go back down, come up)
Day 6: Overload Front Squats (Squat in a power rack. Set up to 105-110%. Set pins at sternum level. Rack the weight, squat down under control till weight rests on pins. Re-rack the weight and squat up explosively.
Day 7: Take a rest, b****.

Dave wrote:Xiaojun's C&J is simply beautiful. No two ways about it.
Yea... Xiaojun was my coach's homey. Together, they would relax over a pot of tea after training back when both were uprising stars. In a cruel twist of fate, one of them did not perform to standard on a crucial qualifying competition that determined the qualifying team for the China Olympic team '04/'08?

I was stunned when this was revealed to me. I cannot imagine the anguish and regret he suffered. BTW, @69KG, his best lifts were 153, 196. Go figure :lol!:

THE SENA
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:45 pm

Sena... Ili has no power rack, read page 1 :mrgreen:
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:36 am

THE SENA wrote:Hello fellow front squat enthusiast. I used to hate doing 'em, till I fractured my C7 doing snatch balances and boycotted the back squat in favour for it for 3 months. 3 freaking months. That's a long time. Now, my front squat sits at 90% of my back squat and I grew to love them.

If you intend to do them everyday, I certainly do not advise training within 3RM range every session. Firstly, the rule of thumb in strength training is exercise rotation and periodization. Doing the same thing, at heavy loads, day in/out will most definitely lead to overuse injury.

I would propose:

Day 1: 3RM
Day 2: 3RM @ ~65% RM (explode on the upwards phase as fast as possible)
Day 3: 3RM with 4s lowering
Day 4: 3RM with 2s pause @ bottom
Day 5: 3RM using 1 1/4 reps (Assuming you go below parallel, squat to bottom, rise up till parallel, go back down, come up)
Day 6: Overload Front Squats (Squat in a power rack. Set up to 105-110%. Set pins at sternum level. Rack the weight, squat down under control till weight rests on pins. Re-rack the weight and squat up explosively.
Day 7: Take a rest, b****.
Hi Sena, I appreciate the post!

Jman is right, I have no squat rack. :mrgreen:

Woah, why so complex? Can't I just... do the cleans and front squats every day and take a beak when I feel it's necessary? I'm 16 so I recover fast.

It's difficult to follow a routine like you mentioned above, cuz my front squat relies on my clean LOL. so I just wanna alternate them during the workout while increasing the weight hehe. :toothy:
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:45 am

Apart from the rack issue--

Iliander wrote:
Woah, why so complex? Can't I just... do the cleans and front squats every day and take a beak when I feel it's necessary? I'm 16 so I recover fast.

This too. Sena's program looks excellent and I've done similar things with a fair amount of success (even though I was totally halfassing it at the time). However, for someone who isn't lifting too heavy yet, has good recovery abilities, and isn't interested in weightlifting for its own sake but as a complement to bodyweight work (I think, right ili?) there's no need for a setup like that... yet... even if he didn't have to powerclean every front squat set.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:54 am

Journeyman wrote:Apart from the rack issue--

Iliander wrote:

This too. Sena's program looks excellent and I've done similar things with a fair amount of success (even though I was totally halfassing it at the time). However, for someone who isn't lifting too heavy yet, has good recovery abilities, and isn't interested in weightlifting for its own sake but as a complement to bodyweight work (I think, right ili?) there's no need for a setup like that... yet... even if he didn't have to powerclean every front squat set.
Yeah, bodyweight work is my focus. But I have to work my lower body in some way lol.

The program looks pretty awesome, but not really useful for me currently.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by THE SENA on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:05 pm

Iliander wrote:Woah, why so complex? Can't I just... do the cleans and front squats every day and take a beak when I feel it's necessary? I'm 16 so I recover fast.
You can, of course you can! Those are awesome exercises and the front squat is self-regulating; if its too heavy, your back won't take it and you drop.

Having said that, IIiander, just a word of advice. This setup you've here will get you stronger than most programs out there I'm sure. Serious. My only concern is fatigue leading to detrimental events like injuries and stuff. Both exercises are pretty taxing in their own ways.

Front Squats tax the postural muscles; rhomboids, traps etc which if fatigued,will lead to poor form and we all know that's not good. Cleaning everyday (lol), you gotta really watch out for those wrists and your shoulder health.

Just watching out for ya. I'm darn proud of you man, when you get to my age you'll probably kick my @ss :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Journeyman wrote:However, for someone who isn't lifting too heavy yet, has good recovery abilities, and isn't interested in weightlifting for its own sake but as a complement to bodyweight work (I think, right ili?) there's no need for a setup like that... yet... even if he didn't have to powerclean every front squat set.

Jman is right! If its just to complement your bodyweight training, my set-up was an overkill :lol!: Just watch out for injuries lad! Life's a long journey, you wanna reach the end as best intact as possible XD

THE SENA
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:35 pm

THE SENA wrote:
Iliander wrote:Woah, why so complex? Can't I just... do the cleans and front squats every day and take a beak when I feel it's necessary? I'm 16 so I recover fast.
You can, of course you can! Those are awesome exercises and the front squat is self-regulating; if its too heavy, your back won't take it and you drop.

Having said that, IIiander, just a word of advice. This setup you've here will get you stronger than most programs out there I'm sure. Serious. My only concern is fatigue leading to detrimental events like injuries and stuff. Both exercises are pretty taxing in their own ways.

Front Squats tax the postural muscles; rhomboids, traps etc which if fatigued,will lead to poor form and we all know that's not good. Cleaning everyday (lol), you gotta really watch out for those wrists and your shoulder health.

Just watching out for ya. I'm darn proud of you man, when you get to my age you'll probably kick my @ss :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Journeyman wrote:However, for someone who isn't lifting too heavy yet, has good recovery abilities, and isn't interested in weightlifting for its own sake but as a complement to bodyweight work (I think, right ili?) there's no need for a setup like that... yet... even if he didn't have to powerclean every front squat set.

Jman is right! If its just to complement your bodyweight training, my set-up was an overkill :lol!: Just watch out for injuries lad! Life's a long journey, you wanna reach the end as best intact as possible XD
I'll certainly keep everything you said in mind! I appreciate it, thanks a lot. :)
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top