PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Escalating Density Training with Bodyweight (for now)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Escalating Density Training with Bodyweight (for now)

Post by R2E on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:16 pm

I just did this routine today so we'll see what I think & how I feel soon. I'm currently 6'2 at 210 pds.

Neutral Grip Chinups 51 reps
alternating back-to-back for 10 mins with
Dips 96 reps

rest 6 mins

Inverted Row with a neutral grip, heels on floor. 5 mins 47 reps

rest 8 mins

BW Squats (various stances, but always to parallel or past), 5 mins 114 reps

rest 4 mins

BW Goodmorning, 4 mins 100 reps

rest 4 mins

BW Calf Raise with balls of feet on 2x4, (4 mins?) 157 reps

rest 4 mins

Band Bicep curl (I know, hard to gauge the resistance of the band), 2 mins 75 reps

rest 4 mins

Thumbs touching close-grip pushup, 2 mins 41 reps

rest 5 mins

Ab wheel rollout from feet to under shoulders, 3 mins 34 reps

This is probably more exercises than I'd do on a typical day, but I was trying it all out. I like the idea of more reps in a given time, more than a few heavy reps & sets going all out.
Like I said, time will tell. Later on I will probably add in some weighted moves.
If anyone has any experience with this kind of EDT, I'm all ears and would love to hear your experiences.
Thanks, Randy

R2E
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Re: Escalating Density Training with Bodyweight (for now)

Post by Journeyman on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:14 pm

R2E wrote:

This is probably more exercises than I'd do on a typical day, but I was trying it all out. I like the idea of more reps in a given time, more than a few heavy reps & sets going all out.
Like I said, time will tell. Later on I will probably add in some weighted moves.
If anyone has any experience with this kind of EDT, I'm all ears and would love to hear your experiences.

I've done it quite a bit and like it a lot--various density formats, that is. One thing I've found is that doing more reps does not necessarily equal better results. For example, some people here (Dave, I think) figured out that doing singles in chinups over 20 minutes with very short (~10 second) rests meant more reps done more easily. I tried that for a while, but 20x5 in 20.00 still gave me better results, and was a harder workout, than 120+ total reps done as singles.

Shorter EDT sets are very useful too--5 minute segments instead of 15 provides a very solid workout, and more can be done with less recovery.

Another is that short minicycles are useful and frequent backoffs are needed. Picking an exercise and going all out on it for 4-6 sessions in 2 or 3 weeks, then switching to another is a good idea. Cycling between dips, handstand pushups and decline pushups on bars over a 6 or 8 week rotation would give good results in terms of pressing strength, endurance, and size gains in the muscles involved (with proper eating, of course).

Finally, if you do use it for lifting, it is fantastic for base building but it's tough to get much carryover to your 1RM work. I've devised a few fixes for this problem but haven't had the chance to try them out yet, myself.

Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:23 am

Journeyman wrote:I've done it quite a bit and like it a lot--various density formats, that is. One thing I've found is that doing more reps does not necessarily equal better results. For example, some people here (Dave, I think) figured out that doing singles in chinups over 20 minutes with very short (~10 second) rests meant more reps done more easily. I tried that for a while, but 20x5 in 20.00 still gave me better results, and was a harder workout, than 120+ total reps done as singles.

Performance would definitely improve more by doing higher rep sets with longer rests, however I realized the best lat hypertrophy of my entire life doing super high volume pullups in lower sets with short rests. September 2012 was the thickest my back has ever felt, even more than now - even though I weigh a good 10 pounds more now and have added nearly 100 pounds to my deadlift since then. But my strict pullup reps only improved by about 2 reps that month. If I had trained less frequently with higher rep sets and lower volume I would have gotten less mass but probably a higher max reps per set.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:08 am

Dave wrote:
Journeyman wrote:I've done it quite a bit and like it a lot--various density formats, that is. One thing I've found is that doing more reps does not necessarily equal better results. For example, some people here (Dave, I think) figured out that doing singles in chinups over 20 minutes with very short (~10 second) rests meant more reps done more easily. I tried that for a while, but 20x5 in 20.00 still gave me better results, and was a harder workout, than 120+ total reps done as singles.

Performance would definitely improve more by doing higher rep sets with longer rests, however I realized the best lat hypertrophy of my entire life doing super high volume pullups in lower sets with short rests. September 2012 was the thickest my back has ever felt, even more than now - even though I weigh a good 10 pounds more now and have added nearly 100 pounds to my deadlift since then. But my strict pullup reps only improved by about 2 reps that month. If I had trained less frequently with higher rep sets and lower volume I would have gotten less mass but probably a higher max reps per set.

You'd have to experiment for yourself. Working over time to fatigue yourself gradually while moving efficiently, while diong single reps... I can't see that being as effective for hypertrophy purposes as many, many sets just short of failure. (Or perhaps to failure, I've done that with EDT as well with good results.) Diet might've come into play too... or, you might have even better results if you don't just do singles with EDT. Lots of potential explanations, imo!
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by R2E on Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:28 pm

Shorter EDT sets are very useful too--5 minute segments instead of 15 provides a very solid workout, and more can be done with less recovery.

Another is that short minicycles are useful and frequent backoffs are needed. Picking an exercise and going all out on it for 4-6 sessions in 2 or 3 weeks, then switching to another is a good idea. Cycling between dips, handstand pushups and decline pushups on bars over a 6 or 8 week rotation would give good results in terms of pressing strength, endurance, and size gains in the muscles involved (with proper eating, of course).

Finally, if you do use it for lifting, it is fantastic for base building but it's tough to get much carryover to your 1RM work. I've devised a few fixes for this problem but haven't had the chance to try them out yet, myself.

Agreed, I also thought that I could get more "good" work done in 5 minutes, than in 15, and could do it more frequently.

I plan to cycle in different exercises. Not only to keep it mentally fresh and stimulating, but to keep any repetitive motion injuries to a minimum.

As far as the 1RM training goes, I'd personally prefer to have a solid 5-10RM than a heavy single anyway. But I'd be interested to hear about your "fixes" when you have time.

The Bodyweight training is fun and different, and I like not having to pay a gym membership to complete my workouts. Plus being able to train at whatever time of day I want is a nice touch. I've built a dip stand and chinup/pullup station in my basement, have some sandbags, etc. So those are nice additions.

Thank you for your input.

R2E
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by ajnslng on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:13 pm

Great start mate. I'm interested in giving EDT a shot some time soon, definitely keeping an eye on this log.

ajnslng
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Soreness

Post by R2E on Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:46 pm

My calves, chest, and lats, and hamstrings are all sore. Calves are the worst. Don't notice anything else.
I hope to hit it again in about 2 days. But I also want to try the burpee challenge... So we'll see which I choose.

I don't believe that soreness is a prerequisite to improvement, but it has been awhile since I've felt this way. I like it in a sick and sadistic way.

R2E
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:11 am

Nice training dude!
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Legs 6/10/2013

Post by R2E on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:28 am

Decided to hit my legs today. It went well and I think I'll definitely feel the soreness soon.

Bodyweight Squat with varying stance: 155 reps to parallel or lower 5 mins worth

5 min rest

Alternating Lunge/Split Squat: 120 reps total 4 mins worth

2 min bike ride

Swill Ball Hamstring Curl: 40 reps 2 mins worth

3 min rest

2 min nonstop Ab routine that I found online (flutter kicks, plank, bicycle kicks, etc)

Used my foam roller to work through my quads and hamstrings for about 4 mins.

R2E
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top