PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Retards???

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Retards???

Post by Iliander on Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:06 pm

WHAT THE HELL...

Why tha heck are my parents so stupid??? First they got worried about my stretchmarks. I've got them quite a lot on the spot between my chest-delts-biceps, and on the top of my biceps as well, and on my triceps. Also on my legs. They thought I was "overdoing" my training... and "forcing" my muscles too much... LMAO, I didn't do anything special, they just appeared one day and become more every now and then. It's a sign of good muscle growth, why are they too stupid to understand it... If I would "overdo" my training my muscles would grow LESS.

And now, (this is too retarded to even explain...) my mom thinks I'm "overdoing" my training because I usually grunt on difficult reps. She says that "your muscles shouldn't hurt"... then I try to explain burning muscles is normal... but then she says that doctors used to tell her it shouldn't "hurt"... or some crap... LMAO WTF...

There's more things, but it's too stupid... I'm pissed off right now, I spent a half fricking hour trying to explain why she was saying nonsense... but she kept jumping to another subject... LOL SERIOUSLY.

It feels like everyone in this country is dumb as [insert word here].
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Re: Retards???

Post by Rix on Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:31 pm

Remember my old post? about my Dad not letting me do weights/kettlebells anymore? Some parents dont understand, mine think your safer in the gym than you are at home? either ones as bad as the other tbh. Everything happens for a reason tho, now im on a nice lil bw journey entering a MA and Triathlon path. So maybe my parents  had a point? Maybe listen to them a lil coz you dont wanna cause any damage while your young and effect your body when your older. But im sure you know what your doing so probly safe. You still have a lifetime of fitness to go so you dont have to rush for things now.

Other than that tho, i do agree that parents dont understand sometimes, and you cant really convince them because they set in their ways, just gotta get on with it and hope you dont hurt yourself and prove them right :p we young so we governed a lil bit, but once you older you wont have no one to answer to and can do what you want, so i would just put up with it and get on with what you do normally and dont take your top off infront of your fam haha. I got stretch marks all over my buttox and chest-delt-biceps, bio oil them!
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:43 pm

All my stretchmarks happen to be in one place, on the front of my upper legs right about where the barbell would rest in the power position of the snatch.  No upper body stretch marks at all.

And that's the way mothers are.  She wants the best for you but maybe doesn't understand or want to admit that you are no longer her helpless baby that had to rely on her for everything under the sun.

That and she doesn't really understand because she's not a man, she doesn't have that testosterone driven need to perform at a physical peak.  And a lot of men don't even know this feeling, so the best thing you can do is to help them understand why you do what you do, but in a manner that doesn't challenge them too much.

If you can patiently put up with a little bit of mothering and maturely (and SUBTLY!) de-escalate "over-mothering" that results from misunderstanding or difference of opinion, I think you'll be able to continue training as you want and have a stress free peace with your parents.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by trainingforlife on Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:37 pm

Hey my dad was the same way. He would say what I was doing was pointless all I need it to do was go work in the yard or get a job. Over the years I stopped listen and still do this day I am the biggest,strongest and healthiest person in my family. Guess who they call or ask over when its time to lift or move something? Thats right me! Do your own thing never let anyone tell you that you cant.

trainingforlife
Masterful
Masterful

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoK7PpW9-MZvpiFtiuYVtLg

Back to top Go down

Post by Madman on Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:00 am

Stretch marks are an odd thing.
Ive got huge nasty ones on the right side of my middle back, hips, and right above knees. and I've never been fat in my life, so don't think my fault.

As for parent's being dimwits, It obviously doesn't take a pair of brain surgeons to make a baby.

You gotta lol at some of this dumb crap people say. I used to be very thin (thinner) and sick all of the time, my dad reccomended walking for exercise.
I'm not kidding, honestly, I could literally walk until I starved to death, it burns no calories and has no effect on your cardiovascular fitness unless you're 400lbs or 90 years old.

As for my mother, she believes the crap in fitness magazines. "women should use 5lbs and men should use 10lbs for this exercise "
I once explained to her the effects of shortened hip-flexors, she just nodded and smiled like a dumbass. So about six months later she goes and warns me of the problems caused by shortened hip-flexors. :nod:
Madman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:56 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

Rixstar wrote:Remember my old post? about my Dad not letting me do weights/kettlebells anymore? Some parents dont understand, mine think your safer in the gym than you are at home? either ones as bad as the other tbh. Everything happens for a reason tho, now im on a nice lil bw journey entering a MA and Triathlon path. So maybe my parents  had a point? Maybe listen to them a lil coz you dont wanna cause any damage while your young and effect your body when your older. But im sure you know what your doing so probly safe. You still have a lifetime of fitness to go so you dont have to rush for things now.

Other than that tho, i do agree that parents dont understand sometimes, and you cant really convince them because they set in their ways, just gotta get on with it and hope you dont hurt yourself and prove them right :p we young so we governed a lil bit, but once you older you wont have no one to answer to and can do what you want, so i would just put up with it and get on with what you do normally and dont take your top off infront of your fam haha. I got stretch marks all over my buttox and chest-delt-biceps, bio oil them!
Yeah, I remember it. I don't know if your parents had a point, but my parents certainly don't have a point, that's why I made this topic. I can't really "listen" to someone who tells me to workout less because "stretch marks are bad" or some crap, you know. They stopped talking about it though, they had absolutely no argument.

Dave wrote:All my stretchmarks happen to be in one place, on the front of my upper legs right about where the barbell would rest in the power position of the snatch.  No upper body stretch marks at all.

And that's the way mothers are.  She wants the best for you but maybe doesn't understand or want to admit that you are no longer her helpless baby that had to rely on her for everything under the sun.

That and she doesn't really understand because she's not a man, she doesn't have that testosterone driven need to perform at a physical peak.  And a lot of men don't even know this feeling, so the best thing you can do is to help them understand why you do what you do, but in a manner that doesn't challenge them too much.

If you can patiently put up with a little bit of mothering and maturely (and SUBTLY!) de-escalate "over-mothering" that results from misunderstanding or difference of opinion, I think you'll be able to continue training as you want and have a stress free peace with your parents.
You're right. But, I just continue what I do, eventually she won't know what to say anymore.

trainingforlife wrote:Hey my dad was the same way. He would say what I was doing was pointless all I need it to do was go work in the yard or get a job. Over the years I stopped listen and still do this day I am the biggest,strongest and healthiest person in my family. Guess who they call or ask over when its time to lift or move something? Thats right me! Do your own thing never let anyone tell you that you cant.
Not really the same way... my dad thinks all the working out is great, he built the pull-up and dip bars last summer. My mom thinks it's great as well, but she doesn't understand it at all. She doesn't know what it is, or what it's about. She's extremely lazy in terms of physical exercise, I try to train her (she can barely hang from a pull-up bar for a few seconds) but she hasn't done anything for a week or so, lol. Anyway, you are absolutely right...

Madman wrote:Stretch marks are an odd thing.
Ive got huge nasty ones on the right side of my middle back, hips, and right above knees. and I've never been fat in my life, so don't think my fault.

As for parent's being dimwits, It obviously doesn't take a pair of brain surgeons to make a baby.

You gotta lol at some of this dumb crap people say. I used to be very thin (thinner) and sick all of the time, my dad reccomended walking for exercise.
I'm not kidding, honestly, I could literally walk until I starved to death, it burns no calories and has no effect on your cardiovascular fitness unless you're 400lbs or 90 years old.

As for my mother, she believes the crap in fitness magazines. "women should use 5lbs and men should use 10lbs for this exercise "
I once explained to her the effects of shortened hip-flexors, she just nodded and smiled like a dumbass. So about six months later she goes and warns me of the problems caused by shortened hip-flexors.
That made me LMAO!
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:48 am

Iliander wrote:There's more things, but it's too stupid... I'm pissed off right now, I spent a half fricking hour trying to explain why she was saying nonsense... but she kept jumping to another subject... LOL SERIOUSLY.

It feels like everyone in this country is dumb as [insert word here].

Not necessarily stupid. You have to understand that 40-50 years ago weightlifting and bodybuilding were something that was done by socially awkward weirdos with questionable sexual preferences (for the time) in shadowy basement gyms. "Normal people" did not lift weights or exercise, they either did manual jobs (and didn't have the energy or inclination) or worked desk jobs (and saw physical work as something demeaning). Even many athletes avoided weight training, because it "made you slow". Lifting and muscle-posing contests, if they even existed, were held in dark back rooms and the audience largely consisted of men who liked to look at scantily clad, muscular youths. These were the concepts with which my parents grew up, and very likely yours too, and everyone else's. Wrong, but persistent.

My own mother has never gotten over her view of my hobby as 'bizarre' and unfit for someone of average or above intelligence, but isn't quite as vocal about it as she used to be when I was in my teens. I, on the other hand, have never attempted to explain lifting to her, because in all likelihood she would nod and smile while I was speaking, only to mouth "weirdo" and roll her eyes behind my back. XD 

What can I say... keep doing your thing and don't expect people to understand you.
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:42 am

Fatman wrote:Not necessarily stupid. You have to understand that 40-50 years ago weightlifting and bodybuilding were something that was done by socially awkward weirdos with questionable sexual preferences (for the time) in shadowy basement gyms. "Normal people" did not lift weights or exercise, they either did manual jobs (and didn't have the energy or inclination) or worked desk jobs (and saw physical work as something demeaning). Even many athletes avoided weight training, because it "made you slow". Lifting and muscle-posing contests, if they even existed, were held in dark back rooms and the audience largely consisted of men who liked to look at scantily clad, muscular youths. These were the concepts with which my parents grew up, and very likely yours too, and everyone else's. Wrong, but persistent.

My own mother has never gotten over her view of my hobby as 'bizarre' and unfit for someone of average or above intelligence, but isn't quite as vocal about it as she used to be when I was in my teens. I, on the other hand, have never attempted to explain lifting to her, because in all likelihood she would nod and smile while I was speaking, only to mouth "weirdo" and roll her eyes behind my back. XD 

What can I say... keep doing your thing and don't expect people to understand you.
Haha, you're right... unfortunately.

I don't care about other people's opinions, but the stupidity of some people frightens me.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominator350 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:07 pm

I'm glad someone brought this up. On that note you guys need to chill. Lets think about this from a psychological perspective. I believe Dave touched upon it faintly is that women do not understand "reason by testosterone". They will never understand.

Secondly, there are separate reasons a mother or father will be mutually displeased with your advancement of strength and size. Most of it has to do with the age you guys are. Teenagers.

A father will be jealous, which is stupid, because you came from him. He will see a younger stronger version of himself, reacting differently to the world then he did, via physical training. He will not understand, and although I doubt he would like to see you fail, I think he would prefer if you didn't overshadow him.

For a mother I think it has to do with wanting her boy to remain... a boy! It has nothing to do with injury, she just can't handle you turning into a man.

My parents actually supported me unconditionally. Even though my dad was never athletic and never touched a ball or weights in his life he was always very proud of me and my relentless pursuit to become a tank. They just wanted to make sure I was well rounded in ALL my training, for example, social skills, intelligence, comprehension, and that I would find success.

At one point when I was about 23 or 24, I was accused by my family of doing steroids, which I laughed off, which they took as denial. This is cause I was big, as big as I am now, but it was the rate of growth which threw everyone off. They abandoned it cause eventually they realized I could never afford that stuff.

I think you're gonna find all KINDS of reactions to your training, from work, from socializing. I've learned to downplay myself(don't stand straight up, speak softer, don't move as quick, wear less show off-y clothing.)

There's a lot of passive aggression out there towards athletic bodies. A lot of women who like it(god bless em) And a lot of women who are intimidated by it. And of course you're gonna get a bunch of low self esteem dudes who are gonna hate on you or try to humiliate you at parties and stuff.

Just so long as you remember that you are the man, and this is the edge you bring to the world.

Dominator350
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:04 pm

^ 100% agreed.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:05 pm

Dom, very well said!
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Madman on Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:26 am

I wish people would accuse me of doing steroids! :jealous: 
Madman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Ab1 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:46 am

This is not quite on the topic but has some relevance.

People are used to who you are to them. If you make a real change in who you are and how you look it makes them uneasy. They then have to change their perception of you. People do not like to change…

I am not yet on the muscle bound train, but have changed the way I look dramatically in the last 12 months, with 40+ pounds off my weight.

I’m a grown man and my mom still tries to feed me every time she sees me. She is used to her fat boy not a leaner man. “your wasting away, have one slice of cake, it wont make a difference” And no was never an answer she received, it took a while for her to accept a no for an answer, I had to explain, it is not an insult just a personal choice I am making to improve myself.

My friends are the same, no beer, bread, pizza, pasta etc. It took a long time for them to stop saying common it’s the weekend you can have one, it won’t make a difference.

What I would propose is to help change their perception of what it is that you are doing and loving. Maybe let some of your muscle magazines find it’s way on to the living room coffee table for a day or two. Leave one in the loo. They will soon see what it is and were you are heading, they might even learn something.
Ab1
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top