PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Finding Fitness - Elethor's Log

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Finding Fitness - Elethor's Log

Post by itlives on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:59 pm

Regarding the db's not much difference other than the little bar you put the weights on.
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Elethor on Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:36 pm

Today I'm feeling a wee bit under the weather, a flu bug seems to be going round the campus, most of the guys in my block are out of it. Anyways, on to the workout

The Workout
Pushup Routine
2 sets x 10 reps regular pressups
2 sets x 5 reps (L,R Emphasis) One arm Pushup Progression (One arm tight, one wide, body to one side).
10 reps regular pushups
5 reps (L,R 1 rep) Side to side pushups
2 sets 10 reps Hindu Pushups

Weight session (All using 9kg+1kg(bar) dumbbells)
4sets x 24 reps (12forward,12backward rotation) shoulder shrugs.
4 sets x 14 reps db deadlift.
4 sets x 8 reps bent over lateral row

My workout is all over the place. Haha
Elethor
Adept
Adept

http://instagram.com/moamclothingmy

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:27 pm

I love the Deck o' Cards!! It is a lot of fun and offers infinite variation. You can use it will full body exercises, weight lifting, upper body only, lower body only… almost anything you can imagine. You should play around with it. It is way too much fun!! :toothy: 
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:39 pm

I'm a big fan of the DoC, too.
As CC says, infinite variation!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Elethor on Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:46 pm

Today, Had a go at the Deck Of Cards Challenge. I initially thought to stop at 20 cards, but I managed till the end. These were done with minimal rest in between sets (10-30 seconds).

Of course, I'm more exhausted than I admit. Probably took the best part of an hour. Got to admin, this was fun as hell to do. 

I probably won't have energy tomorrow. Btw, sorry for the long extended post with the card sequence.

DoC : Upper Body DB Circuit (Using A Pair of 9KG DB's)

Spade : DB Biceps Curl
Hearts : DB Shoulder Press
Clubs : DB Bent Over Row
Diamond : Overhead Triceps Extension (1Db)

J Spade, Ace Spade, King Hearts, 5 clubs, King Spades, 8 Spades, 10 Clubs, J Diamonds, K Diamonds, 4 Clubs, 8 Clubs, 3 Hearts, Q Diamonds, 9 Spades, 7 Hearts, 2 Spade, 8 Diamond, 6 Diamond, 2 Hearts, 9 Diamonds, King Clubs, 7 Diamonds, 10 Diamonds, Q Clubs, J Hearts, 2 Club, 5 Diamonds, Ace Clubs, 5 Spades,6 Clubs, 3 Diamonds, 6 Hearts, 8 Hearts, Q Hearts, J Clubs, 7 Spade, 4 Hearts, 3 Spades, 3 Club, 2 Diamond, Ace Hearts, 7 Clubs, 5 Hearts, Q Spades, Ace Diamond, 4 Spades, 6 Spades, 4 Diamond, 10 Hearts, 9 Club, 9 Hearts, 10 Spades.

And now I'm totally spent.
Elethor
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:24 pm

Fun isn't it? Now shuffle once and you have a totally different workout!
It's real good for light weights or conditioning. Not so much for strength workouts~
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:47 pm

Great job!

Isn't that great? You had a pretty good shuffle. I always feel like I run into a string of cards of the same suit that get me. You did end up with a lot of high-rep cards at the end though. That is part of the fun for me. You never know how it is going to go. You just do it. Like Mike says, shuffle the deck and you have a whole new workout even if you use the same exercises. Endless variations!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Elethor on Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:23 am

I have to agree. It was a helluva fun time doing this workout. And the auto variations are great, I no longer have to think about the workout as much (which pretty much makes sure I laze out) and just go ahead and do it.

Probably might have to switch it up to 1.1x the card value soon. Mostly cause I can only switch up reps, not the weights.

Anyone tried 2x Card Value round of DoC yet? Or more perhaps?
Elethor
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:42 am

I have never used a multiplier on the reps. I usually do bodyweight circuits or maybe add in some resistance band work. Have you considered swapping the curls for inverted BW rows and the triceps extensions for pushups? The nice things about these BW exercises is that there are easy ways to modify the exercise to increase the difficulty as your body adapts.

In my mind just increasing the total reps by some multiplier would be an unattractive approach since you are already well into the realm of doing high rep conditioning work already. You would probably see more benefit from either increasing the resistance (which is not always an option) or using more challenging exercises.
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:57 pm

CC, agreed, more challenging exercises for sure. Another possible option is to thicken your dumbbell handles a little bit every workout, if you don't mind putting tape or something on them.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:45 pm

ccheatum wrote:
You would probably see more benefit from either increasing the resistance (which is not always an option) or using more challenging exercises.

This. Choosing the harder variations of basic exercises is the way to go with the DoC.
What values do you use for the face cards? I usually use 10 for all of them.
Also, putting burpees in there is a must. I have a video showing 12 different burpees - some using weights. If you really want to see where you are -do it!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Elethor on Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:53 am

post accidentally deleted.

Recovery Of Work
4 x 12 of Curls, Shoulder Press, Tricep Extension
3 x 10 of DB Bent Over Row

And I don't remember anymore! Hahaha

Last edited by Elethor on Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:45 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : I tried to reply but hit edit instead... , Elethor - Fixed it! (sort of))
Elethor
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:54 am

Wow! Thanks for upping the bar on the DoC!

Passive exercise = Tai Chi  :D 
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Elethor on Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:14 am

itlives wrote:Wow! Thanks for upping the bar on the DoC!

Passive exercise  = Tai Chi  :D 

What do you mean upping the bar? Wasn't the doc past 10 always 11,12 and 13? Hahah

Tai Chi sounds like a positively brilliant idea now tbh. How do I best begin considering I'm extremely stiff.
Elethor
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:06 pm

You would be best to find a local teacher. Someone that has a history and is recognized by his peers.
I'm fortunate to have a teacher that met both criteria - and I never used him for that (he was my kung-fu and pa qua teacher)
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:43 pm

So sorry Elethor, I made a mistake trying to answer your question (clicked edit instead or reply) and accidentally deleted your post.  Forgiveness please! :oops: 

Elethor wrote:Would it be possible to add just a cloth instead of taping it ? Or is the grip too smooth and moves too much ?

Just off the top of my head, I suppose you could rig yourself up something quite solid, like a poor man's fat gripz.

You'll need
1 plastic coke bottle
some old rags
duct tape

Take the coke bottle and cut it so you have a sheet you can wrap tightly around your dumbbell handle.  Now layer it with as many rags as you want for the thickness you desire.  For each layer, attach it, at the corners perhaps, to the bottle.  You may have to fold the rags or towels, depending on the thickness you are looking for.  Periodically wrap it tightly around the handle to get a feel for exactly how thick you want for now.  Then just solidly duct tape the whole surface area of the contraption once it is the right thickness so that no rag or plastic is showing.  Now you can wrap it around and secure it in place with a few (reusable) strips of duct tape.

Now I guess I'll have to buy some coke too...  :laugh1:
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elethor on Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:03 pm

@Itlives
I'm hoping that I can find one that meets both criteria, not really hoping considering where my university is located. I'll have to figure something out which allows distance learning perhaps or a few classes to pick up some of the stuff

@Dave,
I see where you're going there but I kind of don't see as yet how the coke bottle plays in, do you cut itin half or into sheets, probably I'm missing something due to how sleepy I am. I'll give it another shot after my e-commerce paper @_@
Elethor
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:24 pm

Usually 1-2 days a week is all you need. If you practice everyday what's shown to you, it will still take a while to "get" it. It's very hard to purposely slow yourself down (and do it for an hour).
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Elethor on Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:17 am

@itlives
Thank you for the input, I'm hoping I'll find a suitable class for me soon. Ill probably go hunting next month in my semester break

Anyways, for today's workout

Today I Had another run of the DoC, Only made it to half deck. I followed everyone's advice but I think I may have built the workout a bit wrongly. Too many push exercises. Now for the workout

Me and Buddy made it to half deck, but on last six cards I had to drop intensity for a less stressful exercise like regular pushups

[B]The Workout[/ B]
Spades : Spiderman Pushups ( Half of face value each side, i.e 6 = 3l 3r.
Hearts : Pike Pushups
Clubs : Squats
Diamonds : Palm Outwards, Hands beside waist pushups (whatcha call em)

The Draw
8 Diamond, J Diamond, 2 Spade, 2 Diamond, 9 Heart, 3 Club, 9 Spade, 10 Diamond, King Hearts, 5 Clubs, 5 Diamond, 7 club, 6 club, Q Hearts, Q Diamonds, 3 Heart, 5 Heart, A Spade, King Spades, Q Clubs, J Clubs, 9 Diamonds, 8 Hearts, J Hearts, 7 Diamonds, King Club, King Diamonds

For this set, J-K all = 10 reps. 

Still burned out.

New Objective : Complete this set up by March.
Elethor
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:19 am

Remember-
push
pull
squat
core
and you'll always make through the deck.
Yes, three pushes is way too much, amigo!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Elethor on Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:32 am

Got it bro, next time i'll design the deck setup myself. If I let him design it I'm definitely screwed. Besides inverted bodyweight rows, pull ups and chins, what are the other bodyweight pulls. I got a few press up ideas, but very few for pulls. And where do dips fit in? (The infamous bench dip or otherwise)
Elethor
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:25 am

Mike is right, 3 pushes is way too much. 3 Pushes and I would never make it through a deck, but even if I did, the muscle imbalances that would eventually develop would be nothing but trouble. Dips are great, but they are another push. All of these are in different planes so they hit the muscles a little bit differently, but they are still hitting the same muscles. What you need in the deck is to be able to to transition between exercises that work different muscles so that there is enough rest to keep doing all of the cards back-to-back and so that you do not neglect any muscles in the workout.

BW pulling exercises are a challenge. As you noted, the staples are inverted rows, pull ups, and chin ups. There are some other options, but that are mostly more difficult than those and not well suited to a DoC workout. Things like toes to bar, skin the cat, yewkis are all good gymnastic moves that are great pulling exercises. I sometime use jumping pullups for the DoC since those are more achievable for high reps than pullups are for me, but the still work the back and arms with the pulling movement. More recently, I have become a big fan of strand pulling. You can get an inexpensive chest expander or other elastic band system that will vastly increase the range of pulling motions that are available and give you the ability to progressively increase the resistance.
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:54 am

Elethor wrote:I see where you're going there but I kind of don't see as yet how the coke bottle plays in

Just something durable to help it keep its shape.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:23 pm

I'll bet you strutted around with a ferocious Chest pump for a couple of hours  :D 
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:29 pm

For pulls the two best (imo) are the rows and pull ups. You don't really need anything else but if you have access to dumb/kettle bells -
bent over rows
upright rows
high pulls
rows in plank position

There's nothing wrong with mixing and matching weights and conditioning in the DoC.

you're doing good!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:12 pm

Ah now, if you are going to include the possibility of having some weights, then I would suggest swings or deadlifts as possibilities. At modest weights, these become great pulling movements as well as good conditioners in a workout like the DoC. The deads can be dodgey unless you are really careful about keeping good form, but the swings are definitely a solid choice!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:58 pm

3 pushes is only too much if your goal is to have a balanced upper body workout. There's nothing wrong with focussing on a certain type of movement.

Dips are pushing obviously, as CC already mentioned. Elbow extension + shoulder movement in the opposite direction = pushing.

Pull-ups and some rows are all you need for pulling as Mike said. Of course you can also work front and back lever progressions to make it even more complete.

Just work the crap out of the basics and aim to progressively increase reps.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:10 pm

:yeahthat:

ccheatum wrote:Ah now, if you are going to include the possibility of having some weights, then I would suggest swings or deadlifts as possibilities. At modest weights, these become great pulling movements as well as good conditioners in a workout like the DoC. The deads can be dodgey unless you are really careful about keeping good form, but the swings are definitely a solid choice!

Swing and deadlifts are both a great idea.

Deadlift hyper conservatively at the start if you want, with no weight or 10-20 pounds per hand, but in my opinion they should be in there and should be progressed with as quickly as your body adapts to them until the form becomes an easy and comfortable part of your natural movement (since so many normal activities fall somewhere in or around this movement pattern).  Everything else will be made easier by the deadlift, if you ask me, except maybe the squat.  So don't stop doing those.  Keep the weight lighter for DoC workouts, at least at first, and keep up the good work!  :hatsoff:
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elethor on Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:27 pm

ccheatum wrote:Mike is right, 3 pushes is way too much. 3 Pushes and I would never make it through a deck, but even if I did, the muscle imbalances that would eventually develop would be nothing but trouble. Dips are great, but they are another push. All of these are in different planes so they hit the muscles a little bit differently, but they are still hitting the same muscles. What you need in the deck is to be able to to transition between exercises that work different muscles so that there is enough rest to keep doing all of the cards back-to-back and so that you do not neglect any muscles in the workout.

BW pulling exercises are a challenge. As you noted, the staples are inverted rows, pull ups, and chin ups. There are some other options, but that are mostly more difficult than those and not well suited to a DoC workout. Things like toes to bar, skin the cat, yewkis are all good gymnastic moves that are great pulling exercises. I sometime use jumping pullups for the DoC since those are more achievable for high reps than pullups are for me, but the still work the back and arms with the pulling movement. More recently, I have become a big fan of strand pulling. You can get an inexpensive chest expander or other elastic band system that will vastly increase the range of pulling motions that are available and give you the ability to progressively increase the resistance.

Thanks for the input, I'll definitely try to get a few more toys to play with. Though I'll have to hold off on most of the pulls until i fix my bar thought.

Dave wrote:
Elethor wrote:I see where you're going there but I kind of don't see as yet how the coke bottle plays in

Just something durable to help it keep its shape.

Ahh, I see. If you ever get round to building one, send a pic my way ! I'd love to see an illustrated

Brahma Bill wrote:I'll bet you strutted around with a ferocious Chest pump for a couple of hours  :D 

Well that was yesterday's feel. Plenty of strutting around then. I woke up and the rest of my muscles told me how much of an ass I was to them!

itlives wrote:For pulls the two best (imo) are the rows and pull ups. You don't really need anything else but if you have access to dumb/kettle bells -
bent over rows
upright rows
high pulls
rows in plank position

There's nothing wrong with mixing and matching weights and conditioning in the DoC.

you're doing good!

ccheatum wrote:Ah now, if you are going to include the possibility of having some weights, then I would suggest swings or deadlifts as possibilities. At modest weights, these become great pulling movements as well as good conditioners in a workout like the DoC. The deads can be dodgey unless you are really careful about keeping good form, but the swings are definitely a solid choice!

Both suggestions are great, though currently the DB's I have access to are only 9KG (Planning on getting those adjustable 30kg ones so I have a pair and I can do low rep and high rep sets alternatively). I always feel awkward with DB deadlifts though, don't really feel it as much as I do when I used to do barbell deadlifts.

I was always under the impresion deads was for the back though :/

Iliander wrote:3 pushes is only too much if your goal is to have a balanced upper body workout. There's nothing wrong with focussing on a certain type of movement.

Dips are pushing obviously, as CC already mentioned. Elbow extension + shoulder movement in the opposite direction = pushing.

Pull-ups and some rows are all you need for pulling as Mike said. Of course you can also work front and back lever progressions to make it even more complete.

Just work the crap out of the basics and aim to progressively increase reps.

I have some problem with levers right now, I have really bad flexibility, do you have any recommendations for that ?

Dave wrote::yeahthat:

Swing and deadlifts are both a great idea.

Deadlift hyper conservatively at the start if you want, with no weight or 10-20 pounds per hand, but in my opinion they should be in there and should be progressed with as quickly as your body adapts to them until the form becomes an easy and comfortable part of your natural movement (since so many normal activities fall somewhere in or around this movement pattern).  Everything else will be made easier by the deadlift, if you ask me, except maybe the squat.  So don't stop doing those.  Keep the weight lighter for DoC workouts, at least at first, and keep up the good work!  :hatsoff:

I love deads, I used to do them a lot when I went to a gym with barbells, the one I go to now only has dumbbells. Not really used to doing them with deadlifts...

Alright, anyways today I woke with pain in my entire body (as expected after the workout). And only the good kind too! Skipped on doing a full fledged workout but instead went for rugby practice. Basically today's exercise session was an hour half touch rugby session. Running, sprinting, jogging and stepping all in one, though my ankle is aching somewhat from running too much.

Haven;t fully recovered from my ankle injury two months prior, might need to keep my rugby exercise less strenuous on my ankles. I also discovered I lost a step or two from my running speed. Might need a good workout for legs that don't overwork the ankles. Depth Jumps and Pistol squats are the ones I used to do, should I bump up their priority in my workouts ?
Elethor
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:45 pm

Indeed, but so are most pulling movements. Pullups are one of the best back exercises ever. The upper back muscles drive almost all of the good pulling motions.
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:02 am

i dunno man i never stretch... you mean bad flexibility for german hang?!
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Elethor on Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:17 pm

ccheatum wrote:

Indeed, but so are most pulling movements. Pullups are one of the best back exercises ever. The upper back muscles drive almost all of the good pulling motions.

Good point. I'll make note of that to include more of back exercises. I think I might be doing swings wrong though. Should be i using hip drive?

Iliander wrote:i dunno man i never stretch... you mean bad flexibility for german hang?!

Yeah, and I mean generally bad flexibility. I feel tightness in my hamstrings when I try to do L-sits. And in the back.

Anyways, today I scaled my workout back because I feel the nagging sensations from the workout still.

The Workout (All with 9kg Db's)
3 sets x 12 Bicep Curl
4 sets x 12 Overhead Tricep Extension
3 sets x 12 Upright rows
3 sets x 12 bent over row
2 sets x 20 deadlifts
2 sets x 24 shoulder shrugs and calf raises.

Is there a good chest exercise I can do with db's? Don't have a good bench that can cater to bench press movement. Max I can is the same rom as a floor benches.

Elethor
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:40 pm

when you get your adjustable dumb bells, you should You Tube
renegade man-makers. You'll hit back and chest . But, for your limited resources (again, after you get the adjustables), floor presses are a great exercise.
With just BW, do the push-ups with feet elevated.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:36 pm

There should definitely be a lot of hip drive when doing swings. It is really a strong hip extension while driving your heels into the floor that generates all of the momentum to carry the weight up. You should not be raising the weight primarily with your arms and back. They just support the movement.

Here is a good video,

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:17 pm

Good video CC. I'll remember where this is and show it to my class. They're just not getting it (from me).
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Elethor on Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:26 am

itlives wrote:when you get your adjustable dumb bells, you should You Tube
renegade man-makers. You'll hit back and chest . But, for your limited resources (again, after you get the adjustables), floor presses are a great exercise.
With just BW, do the push-ups with feet elevated.

Renegade man makers sound tough, haven't looked into them but what's a goodweight for me to start that with?

ccheatum wrote:There should definitely be a lot of hip drive when doing swings. It is really a strong hip extension while driving your heels into the floor that generates all of the momentum to carry the weight up. You should not be raising the weight primarily with your arms and back. They just support the movement.

Here is a good video,

Got the idea, and used it in today's workout! Thanks a bunch guys.

Sorry for the brief delay between workouts, had a paper yesterday which I did an overnight to cover, and spent the rest of the day post paper recovering. My sleep scheduled is a mess. Thank god I'm free after the week.

The Workout
One DB Only (All Exercises are given rep only, one rep is 1l 1r)

8/5/8/3/10 Bicep Curls 
8/10/8/5/12 Shoulder Press
15/15/12/15 Tricep Extension (No l/r)
15/15/10/8/5 DB Swing
15/15/15 DB Rows
15/20/20/20 DB Shrugs.

Short session. Studying for finals so keeping everything tame so as to be able to still put in all nighters. The other db was taken home by my roommate who has finished finals.
Elethor
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:01 pm

I like this version (some people only do one push up per RMM)- as he says. I do 20- 35 pounds depending on how many reps are in my sets.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Elethor on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:45 pm

Sorry for being MIA, took a few days of working out for finals, and the post finals revelry that followed. Back for more pain though. Today I kept the workout relatively brief as I was pressed for time.

The workout today was unstructured, switching between exercises at random. Will post up reps only.

The Workout All Done with 1 DB, so 1l 1r equals 1 rep.

8/5/8/8 DB Curls.
15/15/15/12 Tricep Extensions
12/12/10 DB Rows
8/8/8 DB Bent Over Tricep Extension (The one where you're bent over for row but you extend the arm instead of rowing)
5/3/2/3 Jumping PullUps
3/3/3 Jumping ChinUps
12/12 DB Swing
Elethor
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:33 pm

Didn't know you are in school. What are you going to be?
Good random workout!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Elethor on Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:46 pm

Well, I'm doing my degree in international business. Just a local university though. The sleep cycles tend to be really freak but protein supplements really help a lot in keeping me in workout shape.

Most all of you are working now aye?
Elethor
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:24 pm

I can't speak for others but I've been working for 42 years. I only had one 3 month period where I couldn't find work. That was back in the '80 when the oil industry went bust.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Elethor on Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:52 pm

Now that's extremely impressive. How long have you been solidly working out though?

It does seem to show the wide demograph this website caters to. Very very wide.
Elethor
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:56 pm

OH! Working out....I was in martial arts for 30 years (13 TKD and 17 Kung -fu) then I found body weight exercise and have been in it since 2008.
So, pretty much all my adult life since I turned 21.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Elethor on Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:35 pm

I asked for both so it wasn't really a misunderstanding, double impressed. There is a whole lot of dedication. Much respect.
Elethor
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:31 pm

I appreciate it but it's just what I like to do. Work and workout, I think we were all meant to do both!  :up: 
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:11 pm

itlives wrote:I appreciate it but it's just what I like to do. Work and workout, I think we were all meant to do both!  :up: 

I'll second that! I am a chemistry professor and have been working in science since I was in college, which goes back 20 years. My history with working out is similar. I have been doing some kind of workout consistently since I was in college. For a while it was Tai Chi, then running, then cycling. Now it is mostly BW strength training and yoga. In one way or another, I try to keep moving!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Elethor on Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:32 am

itlives wrote:I appreciate it but it's just what I like to do. Work and workout, I think we were all meant to do both!  :up: 

ccheatum wrote:

I'll second that! I am a chemistry professor and have been working in science since I was in college, which goes back 20 years. My history with working out is similar. I have been doing some kind of workout consistently since I was in college. For a while it was Tai Chi, then running, then cycling. Now it is mostly BW strength training and yoga. In one way or another, I try to keep moving!

This definitely helps refocus on how this is a life thing. Of course, I'll skip out on working for now itlives, I'm entertaining my youth for now, exploring a variety of skills to set me up better post degree. Picking up art and music, art and writing, business. Basically, working out my mind and skills as I work my body.

Kind of always enjoyed trying to keep capable of doing multiple things, I'm a debater as well as a rugger in university. Thank god that here in Malaysia it's not really a big deal if a rugby player wants to debate and vice versa. :)

Anyways, on to the workout.

Feeling a dip in energy levels, might need to fine tune my nutrition again, and definitely up my water intake (dropped afgter finals since I don't drink as much water as I do when I study)

The Workout Two DB's on all workouts, each at 9kg plates (1kg bar)
Done in Pairs
12 reps x 4 sets - DB Curls and Bent Over Rows
12/15 reps x 4 sets - Shoulder Press and DeadLift
3/4/3 - Jumping Pullups
3/3/3 - Jumping ChinUps
15 reps x 4 sets - DB Swings (With two db's, wider squat grip)

Also, I attempted a one arm chin hold, it was more like a jump to position and pathetically slide down than an actual hold. Life and it's hilarity x).

Noticed that I am losing energy very quick only curls, may have been my total ignorance of curls earlier on, and they're back to bite me. Oh well !
Elethor
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:27 am

Good for you in bettering yourself. Never forget though, workoing out does so much more than work the body. It also helps the mind - I think because it reduces stress.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:34 am

I agree with Mike. The other thing I will add is to think of working out like a book. Each workout is a page. One page may be small, but over a lifetime they can add up to a huge volume, but it takes every page to get there. Also keep in mind that books have many chapters. You can move from one focus to the next and revisit old ones. You just need to make sure that you enjoy what you are doing and that you keep doing something.
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:25 am

Nice way to put it professor.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content