PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Affecting Gravity: Jman, Josh, and Alex's blog!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Affecting Gravity: Jman, Josh, and Alex's blog!

Post by Josh T. on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:31 am

Dave and Bill,

Thanks. The university in question is the University of Houston. I did actually learn a lot of good things, but it was hard and I would never force an intern to do some of the stuff we were made to do. In fact, I would do a LOT of things differently. I could make a darn good internship program based solely off the stuff I learned NOT to do. Anyway. Besides the point. I'm grateful for the experience and am sending some thank you cards to certain coaches who were AWESOME to me.

I'm actually done with the internship now, which is a blessing. Now to reset my sleep cycle and slowly cut out stimulants...haha.

New article went live earlier this week. If you guys think it's worth it, share it around your social circles/people you think should hear about it. I'd appreciate it.

S&C Internships: The 'Difficult' Coach
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:04 pm

Good advice!  Should be applied by anyone with a boss, really.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:36 pm

On to the blog:

Been logging my workouts there, just to have a sort of record, as I haven't felt like writing them down as of late (so I haven't been). Anyway, experimenting with some new stuff, thought you guys may like to read about it.

The Great Squat Experiment: Week 4

Great Squat Experiment: Week 5

Enjoy. Week 6 has some big things coming in it. Also, I deadlift tomorrow, which means some big things are gonna go down. Enjoy it.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:03 pm

Check out the newest blog post: http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/2014/11/the-great-squat-experiment-week-7.html

I plan on posting a 'how to' and 'pros and cons' of doing EDM style, really high frequency squatting, just dunno when I'll get to it. In the meantime, you can see that I have made a LOT of progress in around 7 weeks (we're talking improving my comp. max back squat by +25lbs, and it looked a bit easier too), and I still have another 5.5 weeks to go before the meet, where I'm shooting for AT LEAST 475lbs. Depending on how the remainder of training goes, that's very reasonable. Just this wednesday I hit 420lbs x 5, and later 435x2 on what I would call a reasonable bad day. Anyway, check it out, share it around if you think it's share worthy.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:58 pm

This is interesting, I've always been highly skeptical of high-frequency training for powerlifting, but your results speak for themselves. Maybe the key is in "only" training the squat high-frequency style, like you did (not the other 2 lifts)? Great progress either way.
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:24 pm

Fatman, I have a few thoughts on that. Obviously, training with higher frequency squatting means you have to train with less volume and somewhat less frequency on the other lifts. However, I still can sumo twice a week and bench twice a week, with both sessions relatively heavy, with no problems outside of nagging elbows. Right now, I sumo once for HEAVY triples, and once with 75-85% of max for 10 singles. Low volume, decent frequency though. I bench for more volume with a closer grip one day (3-5x5) and bench for higher intensity the other day with my comp grip (3-5x3, up to a top set of 3) the other day. I believe you could probably work up to similar frequencies over time.

Several eastern bloc countries do this, Norway, who has a couple of athletes (carl yngvar christensen being most prominent) who have dominated the world ipf stage in the last few years, trains their lifts up to 6x/week.

Sheiko has relatively high frequency on all the lifts as well.

To me, I'm of the mind that more frequency = more practice. This IS a sport. Yes, you have to lower the volume and probably average intensity (again, seen in sheiko and norway's programs), but it is doable. Variation within the weekly training schedule becomes more important to avoid more rapid accommodation, but yeah, it's doable man.

Not saying it's the only way, OR the best way, but I think it is a very viable way to train for meets.

Check out the article below on some of Norway's training protocols with regards to frequency.

http://gregnuckols.com/2014/02/18/high-frequency-training-for-a-bigger-total-research-on-highly-trained-norwegian-powerlifters/
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:02 pm

I know about Sheiko and have read about the Norwegian experiment.

I don't think the latter really constitutes "high frequency" as you implemented it - sure, they trained more often than usual, but at the same total weekly volume and intensity as before. So splitting the same workload over 6 days instead of 3-4. Also the prominent Norwegian lifters are IPF lifters, so I assume the training was done in gear (which might allow for more frequent training - less wear&tear on the body).

Sheiko, OTOH, is high volume and relatively low intensity.

But looking at your squat experiment, it was very heavy weights (90+% of 1RM) several times a week (high volume AND high intensity). So more like an Oly lifting program, only applied to PL?
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:12 pm

While we're on that topic, Josh, I would love to see what you can muscle up in the snatch and C&J, if you ever have the interest and time to record a vid.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:41 pm

Fatman wrote:I know about Sheiko and have read about the Norwegian experiment.

I don't think the latter really constitutes "high frequency" as you implemented it - sure, they trained more often than usual, but at the same total weekly volume and intensity as before. So splitting the same workload over 6 days instead of 3-4. Also the prominent Norwegian lifters are IPF lifters, so I assume the training was done in gear (which might allow for more frequent training - less wear&tear on the body).

But looking at your squat experiment, it was very heavy weights (90+% of 1RM) several times a week (high volume AND high intensity). So more like an Oly lifting program, only applied to PL?

Sheiko's volume and intensity are independent of one another. Sometime's it's low for both, sometime's it's high for both. And the frequency varies according to the level of the lifter. It's a system, not a program, so it's kind of hard to summarize as a whole.

What Josh is doing (if I may Josh, and as far as I've seen) is relatively high intensity, high frequency, but low volume. If you've read Ditillo's 'Adaptability', that's basically the variant of EDM work that Josh is doing, and that Matt Perryman is such a huge advocate of as well. Pretty doable if you pick your lift variants right (i.e. not joint destroyers like wide stance squats, conventional deadlifts, etc.)

Your remark on the Norway thing is spot on and, interestingly enough, what I've read for quite a few people as the best way to adapt to higher total weekly volume. Spread it out over a week and slowly bump it up in bits and pieces.
E.G. start with your current volume over three days, spread it out over six, then slowly add 5-10% more work on your three original days ('heavier') and keep the other three with that lower workload (50% of the original, those will be 'light') then bring those up as well. This can also be used to condition for higher levels of daily intensity a la a true Bulgarian WL program.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:28 pm

Never read 'Adaptability', only the little blurb on the TTSoDB website. Sounds interesting, but from what I could see Ditillo used EDM for Olympic lifts, not powerlifts?
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:59 pm

That's it--just that article.
Pulls and presses every day, squats when he felt like it, usually 3x. Some eastern bloc lifters still train the same way today (klokov, for example).

iirc he used power cleans or clean pulls, and bench or overhead presses. So not strictly OLs.

Duane Hansen has written a lot about daily press/deadlift stuff often done in addition to a full OL training program.

There's really a continuum of daily stuff directly from the 'easy strength' style of training all the way to the bulgarian system... it's just a matter of doing it all reasonably, either way.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:47 pm

Fatman wrote:I know about Sheiko and have read about the Norwegian experiment.

Hmm. Good points, Fatman. Although I would say, if we were able to really see the Norwegians' volume used I think the volume that I use and they use would be pretty similar. I definitely don't think what I'm doing is 'high' volume whatsoever. We're talking about less than or equal to around 10 working reps MOST days. Sometimes more, sometimes as few as 5. The intensity is really from around 80-95% on very good days, at least on the main lift. But yes, lots of work in that 90% range.

Also, your statement regarding Oly being applied to PL is EXACTLY what Dietmar Wolf, coach of the norwegian team, did. I can post a link to the interview he does with Dmitry Spiridinov if you want to give it a listen.

Anyway, Aris is right on most points. I probably get around 45-50 'working' reps per week, which I don't think is much at all, but many of the reps are in the 85%+ range, up to 95%, very rarely (when I'm overzealous) higher than that at the moment. Soon to change. Also, I have more variation within the week. I will typically do comp. stance 2-3 times per week right now, with some high bar/ more upright variations mixed in, and right now I'm working on the eccentric portion of the squat, which I NEVER work on and figured it might help, as well as serve as adequate variation for a few weeks. Anyway, I don't do enough low bar + my low bar stance is narrow enough to where I don't have a lot of injury risk/joint pain (besides the elbows - always a struggle though).

Certainly not proclaiming it as gospel, but, again, it is working extremely well at the moment. Case in point:

Dave, I have hang snatched 175x2 after a few weeks of training. Not particularly good at snatching though, technically. Well, I'm okay, but there are some shoulder mobility issues preventing me from pushing more weight. I've done snatch pulls with 225+ on multiple occasions as well. Given a lot of training and specific focus on snatching, I could see 225 or so drop in the next couple of months if I chose to do so, which I'm not. Not that 225 is even that great of a number.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:31 pm

Josh T. wrote:I probably get around 45-50 'working' reps per week, which I don't think is much at all, but many of the reps are in the 85%+ range, up to 95%, very rarely (when I'm overzealous) higher than that at the moment.

45-50 reps per week in the 85-95% range would probably put me in the hospital. That's great work right there.
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:45 pm

Hahaha.

Well, for squats, I count pretty much anything at or above 365 to be a working set. I'm pretty sure 365 is in that 75-80% range. 405's probably around 80%, and then, like today, I'll have 1-2 working sets. My working sets for today were:

435lbs x 4 (as per video)

405lbs x 3

So you're looking at right around 10 reps, with all but one being at or above 405lbs. Some days (like high bar pause squat and front squat days), the working weights won't go above 385, or if they do, it's very rare that they do.

You could always pull the age card man. I'm only 23, so I'm quite positive that has something to do with me being able to handle the weights that I do. Although, I'm sure Mike Tuschscherer has some older guys who squat 3-5 times per week with his RTS programs, which are also moderate-high frequency.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:12 am

A bit late (schoolwork is piling up), but here's a look at all of last week's training, for anybody who's interested.

The Great Squat Experiment: Week 9
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top