PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Training Hungry in the AM

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Training Hungry in the AM

Post by trainingforlife on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:32 pm

Today someone asked me a question that I was unable to fully answer, so I am out sourcing.
QUESTION- When training first thing in the morning is it better to get up earlier and eat a small carb meal or train hungry?
MY ANSWER- I would eat a small carb meal to help with fuel for the training at hand.

PC ANSWERS:

trainingforlife
Masterful
Masterful

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoK7PpW9-MZvpiFtiuYVtLg

Back to top Go down

Re: Training Hungry in the AM

Post by Dave on Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:27 pm

Both strategies can work well for people, depending on metabolism, goals, etc. I have been skipping breakfast before my morning bike ride to work for about three months now, but I have to eat a lot to gain, and if I let myself feel hungry at all during the day I'm nearly guaranteed to lose weight.

I used to eat a big breakfast before riding even further, plus a lot more during the day, but back then I didn't touch heavy weights very often at all, so 195 was about the heaviest I'd gotten at that point. But even that was because I started doing heavy hip lifts.

Anyway, if the goal is weight loss then definitely skip breakfast; it shouldn't be a problem in my opinion.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:28 pm

Depends. For strength work, definitely fuel up. Same goes for intense cardio, sprints or whatever--not sure why you'd do those in the morning after eating, though.

Morning fasted cardio is a legit tool, though. I've never used it (never had to) but it has an extremely high success rate.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:43 pm

Journeyman wrote:Same goes for intense cardio, sprints or whatever--not sure why you'd do those in the morning after eating, though.

I once saw some guy on YouTube doing sprints and resting by stuffing a whole banana down his throat between repeats. He did that for like 8 repeats or something ridiculous. He time laps filmed it. He was also pretty muscular. It was ridiculous to see though!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:05 pm

Regularly train hungry and haven’t found a problem with it.
Often fast to 1300 and then feast after training.  Training in the fasted state does not seem to affect my training that I’m aware…saying that I abuse caffeine pre-workout would be an understatement!
Can’t really see that training hungry in the AM would affect you too much, then again I’m only BW training.
Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:47 pm

Dave wrote:
Journeyman wrote:Same goes for intense cardio, sprints or whatever--not sure why you'd do those in the morning after eating, though.

I once saw some guy on YouTube doing sprints and resting by stuffing a whole banana down his throat between repeats.  He did that for like 8 repeats or something ridiculous.  He time laps filmed it.  He was also pretty muscular.  It was ridiculous to see though!

Frank Yang. Goes by digitalarair on t-nation and bb.com.

Very strong, very explosive, excellent natural athlete. Pretty smart guy, too... and is known for doing VERY weird things as part of 'being an artist'. He's more than willing to experiment, too, some of his recent bodyweight manipulations (dropping 20 pounds and gaining 40+) have been interesting.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:07 am

Yep, that's him!

I was about to post it until I was reminded that he spewed his guts all over the place. :sick: 
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:24 am

I always train fasted. After around 2 weeks you get used to it, and I find that I actually have MORE energy to train now. I guess it's not a full technical fast, but all i have in the morning is coffee + 1TBS of Grassfed Butter + 1 TBS of MCT Oil. That's it.

Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by trainingforlife on Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:20 am

Their goal is lower body fat and GPP. Thanks for the replies

trainingforlife
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:41 pm

I did three hours of MA sat morning on an empty stomach because I forgot to eat when I was busy downloading some music, blah blah blah, and geez I thought I was gonna faint on a burpee ladder and was almost sick. But after I felt really good once I got a shake in me and some grub, my body had never been so happy to get nutrients before.

I read somewhere that if you IF it's good to get a workout in during the fast, your energy levels may be low but it helps increase the metabolism and may cause the body to feed off fat stores so when you go to have that fast breaking meal which is insuline sensitive, your body cries out for it so if its a healthy meal (which it should be) you theoretically get the most nutrients out of that meal.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:07 pm

may cause the body to feed off fat stores

Or muscle if you're like me and have little fat to begin with... so beware!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GreekPT on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:11 pm

Dave wrote:Both strategies can work well for people, depending on metabolism, goals, etc.  

I did IF for the whole year til last week - Fail, didn't lose any weight. I still do the majority of my morning workouts with only coffee (or just water) in me. :: tips his hat to Rasta :: ;)

We have an internal 'gas tank' of about an hour's worth of cardio before we need to start ingesting carbs before our performance will (might) deteriorate. A banana and a big mug of coffee FTW.

GreekPT
Wanted for Chococide
Wanted for Chococide

Back to top Go down

Post by trainingforlife on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:16 pm

So it looks like its all up to the person and how or what they are training for

trainingforlife
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by dospooks on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:39 pm

At 44 my problem is keeping the weight off, not gaining (fat that is). I always do my morning routine after just a large glass of cold water, to get my metabolism revved up. Then I bike to work and eat breakfast there.
dospooks
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Madman on Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:52 am

I don't give a barn. But that's cause I'm trying to gain weight half the time.

If I was gonna try to lose weight (fat), I'd eat low/no carb pre workout, then carb-up (not too much) shortly after.
So you can keep your muscle and lose weight.

I think carbcycling is alot smarter than fasting. You'll feel like you're starving, but still eating some protein.
Madman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:11 am

I think Josh did the carb cycling thing for a while. How did that work for you Josh?
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:32 pm

trainingforlife wrote:So it looks like its all up to the person and how or what they are training for

Weekdays I train in more or less a fasted state - lunch around noon, lift around 6-7PM. For me this is much better than eating before lifting. I do the same before running, but my running is 2 miles at a grandpa pace, so that doesn't mean much.

Weekends I usually have a small snack (yogurt and protein powder typically) before training, but I have done it 100% fasted (with coffee) and had no problems with that either. If it's strength training, you won't have a problem IMO, long cardio sessions could be a different story.
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:13 pm

I've been training on a glass of kefir, then a mug of coffee for a long time. Sometimes, if I wake up hungry, I'll eat a banana.
Most days my energy level is great but I get SUPER hungry right afterwards.
The first meal is always huge!
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:28 pm

itlives wrote:The first meal is always huge!

Same here, train on near-empty, then have the biggest meal of the day after training.
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top