PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

What's wrong with neck bridging?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What's wrong with neck bridging?

Post by squatty on Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:21 am

I don't understand the jerks who shout "neck bridges eventually lead to injury" everywhere on internet.

What's wrong with neck bridging if you ease into it and do it gently and carefully?
I mean I do it slowly, and spot myself with my hands or fingers whenever needed.
Yesterday did 20 reps at back neck bridge, sloooowly, and every rep went up until the tip of my nose touched the ground,
I'm sure if I did it fast, It would cause some problem for me (yet), but doing it sloooow didn't make me feel uncomfortable.

I plan to focus on neck bridging instead of plate curls from now on. plate curls feel dumb, except the front plate curl, which I will continue to do as a finisher after bridging.
Another finisher I like is getting into the "hands and knees on the ground" plank position, and asking my brother to push my head to the sides using his feet, while I try to resist or even if possible push back his feet using my neck. awesome replacement for the dumb side plate curl.
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Re: What's wrong with neck bridging?

Post by Dave on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:19 am

Nothing is wrong with it. But supposedly some people simply cannot do it safely. I can do it safely. That doesn't mean everyone can.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:39 am

What determines the safety? How do I know if it's safe to do for my built or not?
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:54 am

Cautious trial and error, experience and feedback.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by squatty on Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:07 am

Well, during the deed I experienced no pain or discomfort.
And now I just have a nice fuzzy DOMS at back of the neck and all along the spine.
Neck bridging is definitely my new favourite exercise.
squatty
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:15 am

:up:
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:12 pm

haters gonna hate :p Wrestlers and fighters been bridging for yonks, nothing wrong with it. a strong solid neck prevents being knocked out by a head rock.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by ajnslng on Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:18 pm

FWIW I've started doing neck bridges the past few months in response to a series of ricked necks that made me think I needed to make my neck stronger and more supple. Seems to have worked a treat. Plus getting punched in the noggin no longer sends me flying.
Front neck bridges are a bit of a tricky one though, given them a shot?

ajnslng
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:06 pm

I like the bridge for thoracic extension too.  Bridges and clean grip front squats would be a great combination for that, since you're talking about doing some weight lifting exercises.

Front neck bridges are easily 5 x harder that regular wrestler's bridges for me.  But they are amazing for strengthening neck flexion. You show me someone who can hold a 5 minute front neck bridge and I'll bet he can take just about any punch.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ajnslng on Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:36 pm

Dave wrote:You show me someone who can hold a 5 minute front neck bridge and I'll bet he can take just about any punch.
But will he be able to move his head for all the mass on his neck? He'll end up fighting like batman!

ajnslng
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:11 am

Hahaha, I wouldn't worry about it putting on an inordinate amount of mass. Just work mobility along with strength. ;)
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:43 am

Strengthening the neck can't hurt, but I'm pretty certain a hard hit would still have roughly the same effect. Move the head, and the brain inside = KO, regardless of neck mass.... I do think that a bigger neck can help a striker avoid injuries to his neck or cervical spine itself, though. Heavy neck work has more benefits for grapplers than strikers, imo.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:22 pm

Journeyman wrote:I'm pretty certain a hard hit would still have roughly the same effect. Move the head, and the brain inside
Of course, but a stronger neck will absorb more kinetic energy, keeping your head more stable and resulting in less energy being transferred into your brain, possibly avoiding what might otherwise have been a KO. Just like a stronger core will help you take body shots, etc.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:12 pm

Possibly, but I really don't think it's enough to make a difference. Guys with huge necks get KOd often enough that I'm pretty sure a good shot on the button will take them out just as easily as a pencilneck. Not that you shouldn't do neck work, I think it's great for any fighter; but I don't believe there are tangible benefits when it comes to taking a big hit.

Thick abs and lats can definitely absorb body shots, because they pad the impact. The neck just doesn't do that in the same way, unless you make yours so impossibly musclebound that your head can't be moved... maybe.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MF! on Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:41 am

Journeyman wrote:Possibly, but I really don't think it's enough to make a difference. Guys with huge necks get KOd often enough that I'm pretty sure a good shot on the button will take them out just as easily as a pencilneck. Not that you shouldn't do neck work, I think it's great for any fighter; but I don't believe there are tangible benefits when it comes to taking a big hit.

Thick abs and lats can definitely absorb body shots, because they pad the impact. The neck just doesn't do that in the same way, unless you make yours so impossibly musclebound that your head can't be moved... maybe.
I actually thought the same about this. You don't need a brutal amount of neck movement to cause a KO (however it can contribute to severity of concussion symptoms, e.g. someone suffering from whiplash), so I've had trouble seeing how building the neck could reduce the chances of a KO. Head velocity with a sudden stop will cause brain movement and matching trauma (e.g. someone being thrown head first), or vice versa with an object coming at the head fast enough causing a similar result.

Only speaking in theory. I'm hardly a fighter. But I think most of the fears around neck bridging as well have to do with the overall sensitivity of that area. There are a slew of people with all kinds of postural issues, and you also need to consider that there are huge bundles of nerves branching out from the C-spine. It make sense to build the muscle around it, but also recognize that the neck isn't really designed to be taking that amount of force to begin with.

Not knocking it, just playing devils advocate :wave: 
MF!
Adept
Adept

http://traceurversusbboy.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by hedwards on Sat May 31, 2014 6:58 pm

MF! wrote:Only speaking in theory. I'm hardly a fighter. But I think most of the fears around neck bridging as well have to do with the overall sensitivity of that area. There are a slew of people with all kinds of postural issues, and you also need to consider that there are huge bundles of nerves branching out from the C-spine. It make sense to build the muscle around it, but also recognize that the neck isn't really designed to be taking that amount of force to begin with.

Not knocking it, just playing devils advocate :wave: 

I'm pretty sure that's it. If you're not used to doing regular bridges and or you have any problems with your spine, that's probably what the folks are referring to. It doesn't necessarily mean that you can't do them safely, but it does mean that those things need to be resolved before you do any of this sort of thing.

I've personally started on my wrestler's bridges and front bridges and I'm finding that not only do I not feel dizzy or any sort of discomfort while I'm doing them, but my neck is already feeling substantially better when I'm sitting around.

The other issue is that the neck muscles are small muscles so any work out you give them really needs to be less frequent and less intense.

Personally, I'd have to say that the rewards of even just doing easier variations of those moves are sufficient to warrant anybody that's able to do them correctly to include them somewhere in their program.

hedwards
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:40 am

I have not bridged in a while, but I did a short one just now, not on my neck for the most part, but with my hands down.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top